VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Kyoto Travel Answers

change location
jwpotter's Profile Photo

2 days in Kyoto

by jwpotter Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 1:28 PM

We are traveling to Japan in April and will return to the US by ship from Yokohama. My plan it to fly directly to Kyoto and spend 3 nights before going onto Hakone and the Tokyo.

That will give us 2 full days in Kyoto. I know this isn't much, but it is about all we can afford. I thought one day we may take a 1 day tour of Kyoto and on day go to Nara.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Jim Potter

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Re: 2 days in Kyoto

by Jim_Eliason Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Although I would highly recommend Nara if you're staying longer. It would be difficult to see even just the highlights of Kyoto in one day. If it were me i'd spend the 2 days in Kyoto..

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jwpotter's Profile Photo

by jwpotter Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM

bahiana77 wrote:

I find Kyoto to be much more interesting than Tokyo, and would prioritize my time that way, but YMMV.

Thanks for the feedback. I started planning  by staying more days in Tokyo, but now I am down to 2 or maybe even one.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• jwpotter's Profile Photo

by jwpotter Online Now Feb 8, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Jim_Eliason wrote:

Although I would highly recommend Nara if you're staying longer. It would be difficult to see even just the highlights of Kyoto in one day. If it were me i'd spend the 2 days in Kyoto..

Thanks, I think maybe I will just forget Nara for now. I was in Kyoto and Nara 51 years ago and just remember it as being one of the best times of my life. I don't want to be to rushed and so I think just Kyoto is the way to go. Besides, we will just have arrived from the US on a long flight and we may need a bit of time to rest.

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Feb 9, 2014 at 8:22 AM

I recommend 2 days in Kyoto. I love Nara more than Kyoto but most people prefer Kyoto. I still think Kyoto is great.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

by jlanza29 Online Now Feb 9, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Kyoto is the crown jewel of Japan …. if you need to make a decision between Nara and Kyoto, I would say do Kyoto instead. I was there for 5 days and only saw 1/4 of the sites … it is spectacular to say the least. Please visit my pages for more insight and please do not hesitate to ask questions …

jlanza29

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines