VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Kuching Travel Answers

change location

Which Park near Kuching to visit on weekend ?

by vaclavv Online Now Jun 8, 2008 at 12:31 AM

Hi. This August I will be about five days in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia and plan to visit some of the National Parks near there. In general I would like to spend two days in Bako and a day in Kubah/Matang and another day on Santubong peninsula; the last day I fly out at night I would like to go to Semenggoh.

Now, within these five days there is a weekend and I expect the Parks are more crowded on weekends. So I am wandering which of the mentioned places I should visit during weekend while avoiding the crowds as much as I can. I figured my best option will be to put those two weekend days on visiting Bako NP as I plan to go there early in the morning, take the Limau Trail, spend the night there at Limau beach (or the Keruin beach) and come back next evening - I guess, not so many people walks so far away and so I may get out of the crowds that way.

Could anybody familiar with the area to give me his/her opinion about the best itinerary. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • gonnabeatravelbug's Profile Photo

Re: Which Park near Kuching to visit on weekend ?

by gonnabeatravelbug Online Now Jun 12, 2008 at 2:34 AM

Hello.

Kubah National Park is will probably be crowded on the weekends. When I was growing up there, it wasn't a national park, more of a weekend picnic area. It became a national park a few years ago but I think locals still go there for picnics along the waterfall on weekends. You need to catch a long boat to Bako and I would assume it will be less crowded on weekends.

I haven't been there for years. I'm going to visit Kuching for about a week beginning of Sept. Might go to Bako this time.

There's another National Park, called Gunung Gading National Park. I really enjoyed myself there. We saw the Rafflesia, the biggest flower in the world and it's a rare sight!

For Semenggoh, I think it would be easier to join a day trip tour to go up there. Public transport in Kuching is a nightmare. :)

Let me know if i can help in anything else!

Merv

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Which Park near Kuching to visit on weekend ?

by vaclavv Online Now Jun 12, 2008 at 4:39 AM

Hi Merv, thanks for your reply with valuable information. It looks I have figured my itinerary just right ...

I hope I will manage regarding transport - due to close distance of the places, we can always resort to taxi.

As for the Gunung Gading, I of course considered it too, but it is yet rather further away and so I decided to skip it.

Have a good trip if going there too

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines