VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Kiribati Travel Answers

change location
glenn57's Profile Photo

outer atolls of Kiribati

by glenn57 Online Now Dec 3, 2003 at 8:38 PM

Are there any really traditional atolls in Krirbati, ones without electricity ? If not, can anyone suggest what their favourite Kiribati atoll is (other than Tarawa) ?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: outer atolls of Kiribati

by lolodrake Online Now May 23, 2005 at 10:28 PM

Fanning island didn't have too much electricity. In fact the only place I remembered having electricity was the first aid booth, or whatever it was. I thought the island was really beautiful.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Rusket's Profile Photo

RE: outer atolls of Kiribati

by Rusket Online Now Oct 14, 2005 at 3:28 PM

I have only tried two of the outher islands in the Gilbert's, Butaritari and Aibaiang. In Butaritari there was a communal diesel driven generator and some private ones, but no steady power supply. As to Abaiang, I cannot remember any light except moonlight :-). But there was a big screen TV in the community house where people watched recorded news on TV-CDs, so there must have been a generator. Biketawa on north Tarawa was totally without light, but had a solar cell to support the electrical water pump for the showers at the camp site. The only place in Kiribati, of the places I visited, totally without electricity, was a moto in the Butaritari atoll.

• ollyf's Profile Photo

RE: outer atolls of Kiribati

by ollyf Online Now Aug 1, 2006 at 5:57 AM

I stayed with a family in Butaritari, which was an absolutely amazing experience. Sorry to say, they have a couple of hours of generator electricity at night!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Kiribati Travel Answer Locations