I am planning to spend 10 days in Kazakhstan between end of July and August.
I wonder if
1. it is possible and interesting to packback there or is a country more similar to a tourist as Mongolia (less packbacking per say, more long tour with a driver around the countryside)?
2. How hot is it?
3. How expensive is it?
I am open for suggestions for what to do in 10-day trip, since I am just starting to look more about it.
Thank you for all help!!
Who can help me finding khazak citizen able to send me an "invitation letter", the document needed by khazak consulate in order to give visa for non european citizen?
On a whim, I've just booked a flight to Almaty, and a returning flight from Bishkek 9 days later. I know it's not the best time to visit the region, but my holidays are dictated by my work, so I don't have much choice. So a few questions...
- any tips for surviving the sub zero temperatures?
- I've been looking at day trips offered by various travel agencies just to get an idea what I could do, but none of them seem to run in the winter months. Aside from skiing and skating in Shymbulak, are there any other places near Almaty I could make trips to in January?
- 9 days might be a bit long to split between Almaty and Bishkek, but maybe too short to try and fit in a trip to Astana or another city. Any suggestions?
- Almaty vs Bishkek...which offers more in winter?
Could you please give advice:
We shall arrive at Astana Airport at 5:45 AM.
We cannot get Kazakhstan money here in Denmark, but need cash for transportation from airport and for payment for flat (and other things, of course).
A. Can we exchange money in the aitport that early?
B. Are VISA card and Mastercard likely to be accepted?
C. Should we bring US$ or Euro for situations where VISA or MASTERCARD is not accepted?
D. Is any advice needed about transportation from airport to city centre?
Thank you for answering!
Knud Fjeldsted, Denmark
Please can you advise. I am a UK citizen. I am in Almaty, Kazakhstan. I have a 15 day free visa for Kazakhstan issued at Almaty airport. I would like to travel to Bishkek to stay 2 nights and return to Almaty and fly from there back to UK. Can I enter Kyrgyzstan and return to Kazakhstan or will it invalidate my current Kazakhstan visa? Any advice very welcome. Is this trip to Bishkek possible? Thank you. Fiona
I will be in Almaty for a month (mid-July to mid-August), teaching at KIMEP. I have several questions:
1) Is there a possibility of finding (buying) an inexpensive basic bicycle for transportation?
2) Is there an English-language book exchange in the area (so I don't have to too many paperbacks)?
3) I don't know if the University has a swimming pool I can use, but if not, can anyone tell me the cost for a one-month membership / pass to use the Central Swimming Pool, or as alternative the CK Rakhat Fitness?
4) I see several tennis courts; is tennis popular? Might I be able to find some doubles play?
5) Looking at Lonely Planet (which seems to have the most complete description), it appears that the public transit system is meager. Will it be of much use to me from the area where KIMEP is located?
6) Other than "pubs" or drinking, what are the evening / weekend social activities?
Thanks in advance!
My wife and I will have a very long layover in Almaty when flying to Urumqi and we would like to go into the city and have a look around. However since we are flying on different airlines we will have our packs with us and after looking at the airport website it seems there is no left luggage area there. Is there someplace in the city that we can leave luggage during the day such as in the railroad station?
I will be going to Almaty the first week of February. What are the things to see and do during this time of the year?
Do they speak English in Aktau- Kazakhestan or only Russian?
I am planing to visit AlMaty, Kazakhastan. I welcome any helpful information about that city
I am also interested in making friends from there
I am going to Almaty from 21 December, staying in city hotel for 4 nights & wing it after that.
What is the best nightlife, restaurants, bars area? I also like really local type places as well as usual tourist type strips.
I could require an English speaking driver & car to travel around Almaty.
What are the requirements for foreigners living and/or investing in Kazakhstan? I am a New Zealander.
Could someone recommend a good place in Kazakhstan to see a traditional Kazakh song competition called Aytys?
how is the nightlife in Aktau.Is it a safe place for expats?Cost of living...
how do. I get to Prorva Kazakhstan from Atyrau Kazakhstan?
I am visiting Almaty in October 2014 doing 2 weeks voluntary work plus 1 week street / documentary photography, and I would love to meet up with a locals or a few expats with decent local knowledge of the city for coffee & a chat or a tour around some time. I'm a pretty experienced traveller, but the nearest I've been to Almaty is Turkmenistan, so it would be really helpful to listen to your own insights and suggestions.
And if you like photography, I'd be more than happy to trade a lesson or two for your time and advice!
Thanks for your interest.
This museum caught my attention here onVT. Is it offer an overall experience? I mean , is it possible to listen to the sound of the instruments or just watching them?
I am considering a trip to Kazakhstan this summer and would love to see some areas around Almaty, Altyn-Emel National Park and the Kolsai Lakes for example. There is only one problem, while browsing the web the only options I found to get to this areas are pretty expensive.
What are the most affordable options to visit this areas from Almaty? Is there someone who can give a cost estimation for the trips?
how do i get from Almaty to Petropavlovsk? I live in the US
I`m planning to travel by car from Germany to Kazakhstan. (and back to Germany)
Does anyone has experience with this?
What problems can I expect at the Russian and Kazakh border?
(and to they check what you have in your car? )
Thanks in advance for your help!
Hi there. I intend top travel by bus around Kazakhstan. Wont you please suggesting me a site of bus routes there and tell me about the conditions of roads and vehicles ?
Thanks in advance PAULO
I'll be in Astana with 3 friends June 26-30. Are there tours (1-2 days) outside Astana to see traditional life? What kind of clothes to bring?
Hi...I'll be in Almaty in late July. I'm looking for affordable accommodations. Hotels seemed to be way above my budget and there don't seem to be too many mid range hotels. Is there a website or other information I can use? My budget is somewhere in the $40-60 range.
I will be in Almaty in late July for 3-4 days. I am traveling solo and wanted to take a day trip out to see some nature. What sites would you recommend? And are there any group tours I could join? I've checked online and most tours are private and quite expensive. Thanks. Paul
i want to visit Almaty in the month of march can i get visa upon arrival i m from India &want to visit Moscow.
How can I participate and attend Astana World Expo 2017
Are ATMs easily available
Would anybody give me some advice about buying a car in Karaganda?
Hi fellow travelers!
1. Safe at night? This website, dostoprim.almaty.kz/page.php..., claims the station is under surveillance around the clock, even late at night, and that the police are at any give time at present. Has anyone been there in the wee hours?
2. Any exchange beaureux (money changer) on site?
Thanks for your time.
planning to visit almaty in 1st week of Sept.2013, is it OK
What would a family of 4, i.e a 3 and 7 year old with a Labrador and 2 cats consider and ask before moving to Almaty?