VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
Kathmandu

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Saagar's Profile Photo

VT Itineraries for Nepal?

Nepal Jan 7, 2017 at 6:06 PM

I liked the idea of VT Itineraries, but never got around to write itineraries on my own VT pages. Instead, some two and a half years ago I started collecting itineraries - in the beginning as a response to all the questions on the Nepal Forum. That developed into a book which is coming out now in Kathmandu, "Adventures in Nepal. Discovering the Country and the People". I hasten to mention that I wrote this book with a friend for free (even paid our research expenses), and had the Norwegian Embassy modestly sponsoring the design, print and distribution. We receive no royalties. The book is for sale at a not-for profit rate, where the sales money go back into printing more copies according to market request and providing a distribution subsidy. Reasonably priced. A low-resolution edition of the book will be made available for free on an accessible web page of the Norway-Nepal Association later.
      The effort was done in order to attract visitors to Nepal, to familiarize them with simple how-to in Nepal, ease their anxiety after the earth quakes, and to encourage the spread of tourism jobs and salaries to other places than in the iconic areas and the crowded trails.
      We wrote nearly 130 treks and activities - all of them non-motorized, but not necessarily trekking - covering all but 17 of Nepal's 75 districts. You will hopefully recognize some of the VT spirit in this book. For several of the treks I have consulted VT Nepal pages for confirmation and relevance, but most of the itineraries go in areas that are not on VT/Nepal, in places not many would venture into, or areas people not described in traditional guidebooks. However, in the future the book will need an update, so I look forward to keep in touch with fellow Nepal clan VT'ers. Anyone out there?
      Our book does not undermine other guidebooks or web sites, but roll out the real map of opportunities that exist in Nepal. Then you go ahead and buy a specific guide book for your backpack. All we have described is commercially available (but no expeditions, charter helicopters etc.), modestly available, and downplaying the over-featured areas. I am amazed myself of all there is to see and do. My conclusion after all this research, statistics and screening of every district in Nepal, is that people will tend to go where "everybody else has been before". And they are just not aware of the opportunities beyond. From this I had intended to present some of the routes I have taken myself in VT Itineraries. And then, just as the book is ready from the printers VT closes down. If there were to be a dedication in that book, it would have gone to the VT Community and Spirit. The book will become available on Himalayan Map House in Kathmandu and their outlets shortly, and, give it some more time, there will be a free pdf version available on the net. Write me on deurali@online.no for further info regarding availability and other questions. I am truly sorry VT and this Forum closes at the end of February.

more
    • Saagar's Profile Photo

VT closing down - what about the Nepal clan?

Nepal Jan 7, 2017 at 4:59 PM

There is a lot of valuable information saved between us on our member pages; any chance of a coordinated effort to save the Nepal info and make the info available somehow? With some of the features of the old VT, incl. the Forum? I am not a very technically capable person, that's why I ask. In fact, I am beginning to take down some of the info from my VT pages to my personal computer in word format, simple cut and past. Most of the original formatting is lost. Asn an example, my Svalbard pages alone (not arrived to Nepal yet) ran to 167 pages of text and thumbnail photos. I think my Nepal files are even larger. There are literally b o o k s of info on Nepal.

To start with, let's keep in touch! My VT nome de guerre is Saagar, my real name is Olav Myrholt, and you can reach me on deurali@online no, and in a little while (about VT close-down time) Nepal@deurali.no . I maintain a Facebook page in my real name and I think I will establish my VT Friends group there for now.

more
    • AllieK's Profile Photo

Shopping prices

by AllieK Online Now Oct 12, 2016 at 8:23 AM

Hi there
      It's time to buy some gifts from Thamel but I don't have any clue about the price of things here (I am very good at getting ripped off..)
      I would love some cushion covers, from basic to abit more fancy, what would be a general starting price?
      Very lost,

Thanks,
      Allie

3 Answers Oct 18, 2016 at 6:10 AM
    • necessary things for trekking in Thorongla pass

by Ryk Online Now Aug 23, 2016 at 5:57 AM

are there hotels up there at thorong high camp or i need to take sleeping bag, mattresses? im planning to go there in october with my 4 friends. how cold is there? will there be snow falls? what else should i pack?

2 Answers Aug 23, 2016 at 9:41 AM
    • Can we use Indian debit cards in Nepal?

by Jayanti05 Online Now Sep 21, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Dear All,

Hope you are fine.

One quick question - can we use Indian debit cards for purchases etc in Nepal, do they work in ATMs specially in Kathmandu?

Appreciate your valuable responses.

3 Answers Sep 21, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    • Is it safe to visit Kathmandu in Sep 2015

by Jayanti05 Online Now Sep 20, 2015 at 1:08 AM

Hi All,

I'm having a plan of visiting Kathmandu on 22nd Sep 2015 and staying there till 10th Oct 2015.

Considering the current political scenario, would it be fine to go there now, appreciate your kind feedback on the same.

Many thanks in advance!

17 Answers Oct 10, 2015 at 2:47 AM
    • Mandiann's Profile Photo

traveling Kathmandu

by Mandiann Online Now Aug 29, 2015 at 6:19 AM

My husband has the opportunity to travel for work aiding The World Hunger Group into Kathmandu. Someone else turned the trip down because he thought travel was unsafe. What are the current conditions?

5 Answers Aug 29, 2015 at 10:55 AM
    • Ulaan Baator to Kathmandu direct flights?

by Britontour Online Now May 6, 2015 at 5:30 AM

I'd like to go from UB to KTM by air by the quickest route. Have you done this trip? Any ideas?

5 Answers Jun 12, 2015 at 4:22 AM
    • MissParamin's Profile Photo

Are you still travelling to Kathmandu/Nepal?

by MissParamin Online Now Apr 29, 2015 at 7:06 AM

Hi all,

Following the tragic earthquake which struck Kathmandu and environs, are travellers still visiting? My husband and myself are booked on non-refundable tickets to visit in 3 weeks and I'm a bit nervous. We may do a bit of volunteering but would like to see some of the rest of the country as well....Are there any like-minded travellers out there who will also be travelling there soon?

19 Answers May 12, 2015 at 10:12 AM
    • Restaurant Name

by SteveVaughan Online Now Jan 12, 2015 at 4:34 AM

Hi
      When we visited Kathmandu in Oct14 we went to a lovely restaurant in Thamel and would like to do a review on the place. Unfortunately we can't find any record of it online. We think it was called Breezes or Brezes and it is a large garden restaurant accessed via an alleyway from Chaksibari Marg approx. 50-100metres (we think) up on the left as you walk up from the junction of JP Marg. Can anyone help identify this for us please.

3 Answers Jan 14, 2015 at 3:13 AM
    • Travelshoe's Profile Photo

What to do in Kathmandu, and best way to see everest

by Travelshoe Online Now Dec 10, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Hi, will be in Kathmandu from the 16th to the 26th of January, plan to take a small trip to at least see Mount Everest. How fit do I need to be, to be able to do the Base Camp trekking? whats your best recommendation and how soon can I finish Base Camp trekking. Travelling solo...so anyone there at those dates?

2 Answers Dec 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM
    • ranjansahu's Profile Photo

Hotels / Guest House in Kathmandu

by ranjansahu Online Now Nov 13, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I will be travelling to Nepal on 22 Nov 2014. Can anyone suggest good accomodation in Thamel having some experience?

8 Answers Jan 11, 2015 at 9:22 PM
    • tjsharp's Profile Photo

Meet & greet in Thamel

by tjsharp Online Now Oct 19, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Hey Guys just wondering if anyone here is going to be in Nepal Thamel from 9/12 this year would love to met some fellow travellers!

Have a beer & explore the party life of Nepal. Or join in a canyoning trip!

4 Answers Dec 1, 2014 at 6:54 AM
    • NEPAL TOURIST VISA FOR PAKISTAN CITIZEN

by hamoody_ned Online Now Oct 11, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Are Pakistan citizen eligible for free "gratis visa" as it is one of the member under the SAARC.
      what are the procedure of "gratis visa" as in once i land in airport do i have to fill up any forms like "visa on arrival form" .

4 Answers Oct 1, 2016 at 12:45 AM
    • Where to buy ultra-pasteurized Cream?

by Duin Online Now Oct 11, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Is it possible to buy ultra-pasteurized (long life) milk and cream, and if so, where? I suspect that ultra-pasturized milk is likely to be available somewhere, but cream? If so, can you be specific where it is sold in Kathmandu or Bhaktpur.

• Kathmandu city guide recommendations

by readysetgone Online Now Oct 6, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I'll be in Kathmandu for two to three days before heading to Chitwan. Any suggestions on what not to miss? I'd especially like recommendations for a tour guide.

8 Answers Oct 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    • 1st Time to Kathmandu

by DailyRead Online Now Sep 26, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Hi everyone. How is the weather in KTM early November? I'm from Malaysia and its pretty hot throughout the year and this is my 1st time to KTM. They say its cold. What kind of clothing should I bring?

2 Answers Sep 26, 2014 at 4:52 PM
    • Budget Hotel

by MADHI Online Now Sep 15, 2014 at 6:16 AM

Anybody know of any clean budget hotel near or on Hotel Marg,Lazimpat,Nepal.
      Please let me know.
      Madhi

6 Answers Sep 17, 2014 at 2:22 AM
    • Annapurna Lodge Freak streat

by NadineNektarine Online Now Sep 9, 2014 at 8:24 AM

I like to book a room at the annapurna lodge in kathmandu, but i didnt found any adress at the Internet to contact the lodge. Can anybody help please? I need the room at the 23th of september. Thank you!

2 Answers Sep 10, 2014 at 2:35 AM
    • Budget hotel

by MADHI Online Now Sep 9, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Not sure if my first mail went through. Looking for a clean budget hotel with basics in Kathmandu from 6th Oct. for 2 nights.
      Appreciate if you can assist.
      madhi15@gmail.com

3 Answers Sep 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    • J.I.M's Profile Photo

Is it safe to get an Indian visa via a travel agency?

by J.I.M Online Now Aug 28, 2014 at 6:03 AM

Hi there. My wife and I just arrived in Kathmandu today and are looking forward to exploring Nepal. First though, we want to secure an Indian visa. We've read guides about getting it at the Indian embassy, which sounds like a headache but we're willing to do what we have to do. However, some of the hotel travel agencies we've spoken to say they can get the visa for us, which would cost the same as doing it ourselves but with an added 30 dollars on top. We're willing to pay the extra money if it's legit and saves the hassle, but does anyone here know if it's a good idea? We've heard of lots of scam travel agencies in India ripping tourists off, but we're not sure if Nepal has the same problem.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!

2 Answers Sep 1, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    • shopping trip

by paulaplenderleith Online Now Aug 25, 2014 at 8:36 AM

going on shopping trip for Nepalese artifacts ie, singing bowls, malas, bells etc where is the best wholesale place to buy

1 Answer Aug 25, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    • anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

Comfortable 3-star hotel

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Jul 17, 2014 at 5:30 AM

Please advice a good, comfortable 3-starrish hotel at Kathmandu you have experienced. Am a bit confused.

Thank You!

6 Answers Nov 20, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    • School supplies

by caribkay Online Now Jul 8, 2014 at 4:54 AM

My husband and I will be travelling to Nepal in September and we wanted to donate school supplies (books, pens, pencils, art and craft etc) to a school there. Is it possible to buy these items in Nepal and not have to travel with them?

Thanks

5 Answers Jul 25, 2014 at 3:42 AM
    • weather advice for july visit

by prabhat010179 Online Now Jun 26, 2014 at 1:45 PM

hi..i am from new delhi...i am planning to visit kathmandu and nagarkot with my wife...from 4th july,2014 to 8th july,2014....please inform me about the weather conditions during this period. since its monsoon season is it worth to visit kathmandu and nagarkot.
      P.K.

2 Answers Jun 26, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    • prasana's Profile Photo

prasanadawadi

by prasana Online Now Jun 25, 2014 at 7:10 AM

i have to write a brief summary on bhaktapur can anybody help me please?

4 Answers Jun 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM
    • prasana's Profile Photo

bhaktapur brief summmary

by prasana Online Now Jun 25, 2014 at 7:08 AM

have you gone to bhaktapur nepal

4 Answers Jun 25, 2014 at 11:40 PM
    • Induc's Profile Photo

Everest flight

by Induc Online Now Jun 20, 2014 at 4:39 AM

Hi,

Me and my husband are visiting Nepal in Oct 2014. We would like to have Mountain flight.

1. Which Airline goes closer to Mt Everest and has better views.
      2. Which side seats are preferable. Left side or Right side.
      3. Is it better to book in advance or purchase ticket after arrival

Induc

7 Answers Jun 25, 2014 at 11:51 AM
    • Stollie29's Profile Photo

Everest views

by Stollie29 Online Now May 13, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Hi We are two couples in our 70s and are in Kathmandu for 5 nights and would like to spend a night some where to be able to view Everest and the Himalayans range. Is there a town close to them which is easy to get to.
      Many Thanks.

5 Answers May 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    • Regarding Cab services

by oneiro4u Online Now May 4, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Which are the best authorized cab services or tour agencies, which can be trusted?

1 Answer May 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    • Travel to Kathmandu

by oneiro4u Online Now May 3, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Hi ..I am planning to travel to kathmandu from newdelhi on july13th to 15th to celebrate my wedding anniversary.This is my first time visit to nepal.So pls advice on these things.

Best places to visit as we both love adventure activities and greenary
      Best place to shop and best hangouts for night life

Moreover is it worth to take a mountain flight

1 Answer May 31, 2014 at 3:30 AM
    • Travel to Kathmandu

by oneiro4u Online Now May 3, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Hi..I am travelling to kathmandu from delhi in the on 13th -15th July to celebrate my wedding anniversary there..Which are the ideal places to visit there..Best places to go for shopping...Best places to visit for greenary and moreover best nightlife hangouts...Further is it worth going for mountain flight from kathmandu

3 Answers May 3, 2014 at 6:35 AM