Kanton Basel-Stadt

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Comments/feedback on my 2 days Appenzell area trip

Switzerland Nov 7, 2016 at 4:39 AM

Will be going to Switzerland for 10 days next year in Feb and basically we have planned everything except the last couple of days in Appenzell and would like to ask for your suggestion

At first, we were going to Ebenalp for the cable car, hike and the restaurant but now we will cancel it because even it is available to go the cablecar, its really no point going up since alot of things are closed such as the restaurant and the covered full of snow, so I guess we will come again during summer next time!

So therefore, we decided to go to Santis for a night + cable car. Then the next day Honhen Kasten for the cable car + revolving that turns 360 degrees restaurant. Here is the itinerary and please feel free to give me any comments or suggestion!

Day 8 - Zermatt to St. Mortiz (Glacier Express). Will arrive at 4:30pm, I dunno what excursion we should do, given it will get dark at around 6:30pm anyway. If you can give suggestion what we can do after our arrival to St. Mortiz would be appreciated!

Day 9 - 7am depart from St Mortiz train station. Arrive Säntis location (requires 5 1/2 hour travel by train/bus). Check-in @ the Santis Hotel around 12:30pm. Then go for cable car (which is basically just next to the hotel), enjoy the mountain nearby, do snowshoeing and fun activities for the rest of the day. Dinner at the hotel/enjoy facility at hotel (walking in the snow outside, spa in the hotel etc)

Day 10 - Checkout hotel in morning. Head to Honher Kasten for cable car + for lunch @ the revolving 360 degree restaurant. After that, stay around for 1 hour or so. Around late afternoon, go to Appenzell town and walk for couple of hours till dark & shop closed till 6:30pm. Then head back to Zurich at night before taking the flight back in the next day!

Let me know what you think and its doable!

Thank you in advance!

more
    • Christmas Eve Mass, Dinner, Hotel in Zurich

Zürich 17 hours ago

Thank you for those who had advice about Christmas Eve in Zurich.
      So just a few more questions...

1. I can't seem to find info online about a mass on Christmas Eve. We are Catholic and only speak English, but would be fine attending any denomination church service on Christmas Eve that is not in English. Perhaps some singing, or a midnight mass, I just need help finding any info.

2. We arrive at 11 am in Zurich, by train from Lucerne. Will be flying out of Zurich at 7 am on Christmas morning.
      I want Christmas Eve to feel like the most special day of our trip, and therefore this is not a budget day. So I have looked at many hotels, and have narrowed it down to
      Hotel St. Gotthard,
      Hotel Arlene Bein Hauptbahnhof,
      Hotel Bristol,
      Zurich Marriott and
      Dolder Grand.

Any input or suggestions about which to choose for one night would be appreciated.

3. I am wondering if all of the shops and restaurants on the shopping streets and old town will be closed since Christmas Eve is a day for families to be together at home?

4. What restaurant would have a very nice dinner on Christmas Eve?

With just one short day in Zurich, and trying to fit in a nice dinner and mass, and a little walking around town shopping, I am having a very hard time narrowing down where to stay and to have dinner on Christmas Eve.

Thank you for suggestions in advance!

more
    • Zurich area getaway

Zürich Yesterday

Hi Everyone

My husband and I will this year spend Christmas in Zurich. After Christmas we would like to spend 2-3 days near Zurich enjoying the beautiful Swiss nature, before departing from Zurich airport on December 29.

We are looking for something in the mountain where we can enjoy the picturesque landscape and the snow. We don't ski but we would like to be able to go for some walks and enjoy the nature.
      We are therefore looking for some advise of which areas we should look for and might even a hotel recommendation?
      We would prefer a nice small hotel in the nature, maybe even with a spa where we can relax.
      Our budget is somewhere around CHF 150-300 per night.

/Janet

more
    • Zurich on Christmas Eve

Zürich Nov 28, 2016 at 8:04 AM

Hi, just posted this in the Lucerne forum, but since we are spending Christmas Eve in Zurich I thought it should be posted in Zurich's forum. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

I am a mom traveling with my three kids, ages 17, 19 and 20. The plan is to take a train from Munich on Wednesday, December 21, arriving in Lucerne at 6 pm. We have a tentative hotel reservation at Hotels Des Alps, but can still cancel with no penalty if anyone had a better suggestion.
      I am slightly overwhelmed at the various options of things to do, and really want this to be an unforgettable experience for the kids. I keep looking at various tours from Viator and other companies to Mt Titlus and Mt Pilatus, but it is still not clear to me which of those two would be more enjoyable for my teen/adult kids.
      We need to end up in Zurich and spend the night there on the night of December 24, Christmas Eve, so that I can take a 7am flight out of Zurich to Barcelona on Christmas morning.

So here are my questions:
      1. Is Hotel Des Alpes in Lucerne a decent hotel in a good location to use as a base for a two days?
      Just thinking one day trip to either Mt. Titlus or Mt. Pilatus, and the other day spent exploring old town in Lucerne.
      Would love suggestions for a restaurant in Lucerne for a nice dinner.

2. What trip from Lucerne would be a better experience, Mt Pilatus or Mt Titlus?
      Should we book a tour with a company or just figure out how to get there on our own? We would do this on either Thursday 12/22 or Friday 12/23 so I am assuming the restaurants and other attractions at the top would not be closed.

3. On the morning of Christmas Eve we will take a train from Lucerne to Zurich. So with just one day in Zurich, can anyone suggest what area to stay in and what to do...as in is there a good guided tour of Zurich that would last a few hours, or are we better off just picking a nice hotel in a walkable area and exploring that on our own. Are most of the shops and restaurants closed on Christmas Eve? I would actually like to stay in a nice hotel since it is Christmas Eve, and would love restaurant suggestions for a very nice Christmas Eve dinner in Zurich. So I would love hotel and restaurant and things to do in one day, please.

I know this a lot to ask but it is getting close and I need help and need to get these thing booked.
      Thank you very much!

more
    • Lucerne and Zurich from December 21 to 25

Lucerne Nov 28, 2016 at 8:00 AM

I am a mom traveling with my three kids, ages 17, 19 and 20. The plan is to take a train from Munich on Wednesday, December 21, arriving in Lucerne at 6 pm. We have a tentative hotel reservation at Hotels Des Alps, but can still cancel with no penalty if anyone had a better suggestion.
      I am slightly overwhelmed at the various options of things to do, and really want this to be an unforgettable experience for the kids. I keep looking at various tours from Viator and other companies to Mt Titlus and Mt Pilatus, but it is still not clear to me which of those two would be more enjoyable for my teen/adult kids.
      We need to end up in Zurich and spend the night there on the night of December 24, Christmas Eve, so that I can take a 7am flight out of Zurich to Barcelona on Christmas morning.

So here are my questions:
      1. Is Hotel Des Alpes in Lucerne a decent hotel in a good location to use as a base for a two days?
      Just thinking one day trip to either Mt. Titlus or Mt. Pilatus, and the other day spent exploring old town in Lucerne.
      Would love suggestions for a restaurant in Lucerne for a nice dinner.

2. What trip from Lucerne would be a better experience, Mt Pilatus or Mt Titlus?
      Should we book a tour with a company or just figure out how to get there on our own? We would do this on either Thursday 12/22 or Friday 12/23 so I am assuming the restaurants and other attractions at the top would not be closed.

3. On the morning of Christmas Eve we will take a train from Lucerne to Zurich. So with just one day in Zurich, can anyone suggest what area to stay in and what to do...as in is there a good guided tour of Zurich that would last a few hours, or are we better off just picking a nice hotel in a walkable area and exploring that on our own. Are most of the shops and restaurants closed on Christmas Eve? I would actually like to stay in a nice hotel since it is Christmas Eve, and would love restaurant suggestions for a very nice Christmas Eve dinner in Zurich. So I would love hotel and restaurant and things to do in one day, please.

I know this a lot to ask but it is getting close and I need help and need to get these thing booked.
      Thank you very much!

more
    • things to do

Lucerne 20 hours ago

Can anyone give me a travel trip like what things to do in Luzern?

- Recommend restaurants

- Nice budget hotel

- Etc.

more
    • Hwy12HighValley's Profile Photo

Train to Zermatt

Geneva Nov 26, 2016 at 9:11 AM

I am taking the train from the Geneva to Zermatt. The Switzerland train website indicates that luggage needs to be dropped off at the Geneva, Switzerland train station the night before. Am I reading that correctly?

more
    • Contact a souvenir shop

Zermatt Nov 11, 2016 at 9:56 AM

How can I get in touch with Hanny's Boutique? I am trying to buy a silver matterhorn charm.

more
    • Things to do Interlaken and Lucerne

Switzerland Nov 6, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Planning to visit interlaken and lucerne from nov 18 to nov 25 with my 2 year old daughter and wife.Please suggest me with good itenary.

more
    • Day trip from Thun to Zermatt

Zermatt Nov 6, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Hi Weather appears okay for a day trip tomorrow Monday 7th nov to Zermatt. We are from Australia and can someone please advise how best we can utilise our day. We are intending to have an early train from Thun.
      Thanks IJ

more

Popular Kanton Basel-Stadt Travel Answer Locations

• chetanamale's Profile Photo

Need Information

Basel Mar 16, 2016 at 7:02 AM

I'm planning to be in Switzerland next month. I will fly to Basel and then via train go to Lucerne.
      Could you please help me with

1.Where I can find Swiss travel pass buying counters on Basel airport ?
      I heard there are no counters on the airport -:( is it true ?
      2. Also , could you please let me know where to buy bus tickets for a bus from Basel airport to SBB train station ?
      and what is the price ?

-Chetan

1 Answer Mar 16, 2016 at 7:32 AM
    • museums, sightseeing budget

Basel Jul 19, 2015 at 3:51 AM

We are planning daily trips to Basel,Bern and Zurich for 2 people and I am trying to make a budget plan for the museum and attractions, so my question is how much I should write to the attractions section of our budget plan?

Thank you

6 Answers Jul 19, 2015 at 4:39 AM
    • yavili's Profile Photo

Basel-Bern transportation

Basel Jul 13, 2015 at 1:38 AM

Hi. Do you recommend train or bus to go from Basel to Bern? Trains seem to be pretty expensive! Would bus ticket prices be similar?

2 Answers Jul 13, 2015 at 5:16 AM
    • Phyllis-Omar's Profile Photo

Zurich basel train

Kanton Basel-Stadt Jan 19, 2015 at 6:48 PM

What is the cost of one way train journey from Zurich to basel? What is the best option to get a good rate? We are two people. Is there any discount we can get
      Thanks

• Phyllis-Omar's Profile Photo

Mobility Card

Basel Jan 19, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Hi, we will be travelling to switzerland newt week. First we will stay in Zurich then head to Basel.
      How do you get mobility card? Do you get it from the hotel upon arrival or you get it from tourist officesat the airport or train station with your confirmation?
      Thanks

1 Answer Jan 20, 2015 at 4:54 AM
    • taxi in basel

Basel Nov 17, 2014 at 5:46 AM

what is the distance and cost by taxi from sankt johann dock to basel sbb bahnof train station

3 Answers Nov 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM
    • Travel to bayeux

Basel Nov 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Will end a river cruise in Basel will go to bayeux. I am looking for travel suggestions

2 Answers Nov 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    • Basel airport to Viking cruise dock

Basel Nov 1, 2014 at 12:31 PM

We are arriving at the Basel airport and have to go to the Viking cruise dock. I understand there is a bus from the airport to the train station, and taxis from there. We will have luggage and that sounds complicated. How much is a taxi from the airport to the Viking dock? How long will it take?
      Thank you!

1 Answer Nov 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM
    • TomS157's Profile Photo

Hiking in Autumn

Basel Sep 12, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Hi guys,
      I enjoy hiking in the upcoming season... this time im in Basel on November.
      What do you suggest to see/do/hike in the area on that time?
      Thanx :)

2 Answers Sep 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM
    • train options

Basel Sep 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Hi, could anyone guide me please on the best type of rail pass to get from basel to fuessen Dec 2014, I will also be going on to salzburg and vienna the following week - do i get point to point? or bayern? it is just 1 pax. Also im going to be in salzburg xmas day and would like to join in a group activity or meet some others travelling solo?

7 Answers Oct 10, 2014 at 12:48 AM
    • Basel to Hannover, Germany

Basel Sep 6, 2014 at 2:50 AM

What would be the least costly way getting to Hannover? Any help would be appreciated

7 Answers Sep 6, 2014 at 11:30 PM
    • cattinni's Profile Photo

Basel-things to do

Basel Aug 31, 2014 at 4:51 PM

We will have a day and a half in Basel.What do you recommend seeing?

2 Answers Sep 1, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    • Lucerne to Basel River Cruise Boat Dock

Basel Aug 9, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Could anyone give me advice on the best way to get to the Viking River Cruise ship dock from the Renaissance Hotel in Lucerne

4 Answers Aug 11, 2014 at 3:19 AM
    • auggiemansfield's Profile Photo

Amsterdam to Basel via river boat

Basel Jun 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Has anyone taken this trip? Any input especially which is small boat cruise line is the best would be greatly appreciated. I am currently looking at the 13 night trips with Uniworld and Avalon. Thanks!

2 Answers Jun 15, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    • Changing trains in Basel

Basel May 18, 2014 at 1:16 AM

How to change platforms at Basel to the French line when travelling from switzerland to Basel

1 Answer May 18, 2014 at 1:30 AM
    • Ddbuehner's Profile Photo

Visiting Basel for one day....

Basel Apr 3, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I wish it were a longer stay but I will only be in this wonderful city for 1 day. What would be the best way for my husband and I to spend the day? Also, we will be staying at the Hilton, going on a viking river cruise. Any suggestions on transportation from Hilton to river would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• River cruises

Basel Dec 31, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Is it possible to do 1 or 2 day cruises on the Rhine River from Basel?

3 Answers Dec 31, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    • Aum257's Profile Photo

Car rental

Basel Dec 1, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Can any one help me with a car rental with good deals near the railway station?
      Thanks

2 Answers Dec 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    • Gefährliche Nachbarschaften/ Dangerous neighbourhoods

Basel Oct 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Hallo , Ich werde ab 2014 nach Basel umziehen. Ich suche aktuell eine neue Wohnung. Welche Nachbarschaften/Quartiers sollte ich wegen erhöhten Kriminalität vermeiden? Danke!

I am going to move to Basel in Januar 2014. At the moment I am looking for a new appartment. Which neighbourhood/quarter do you suggest me to avoid because of elevetad criminality rates? thanks!

3 Answers Oct 29, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    • schweinhaxe

Basel Sep 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Will be staying at the Hilton, and need to get my fix of Schweinhaxe. Suggestions?

3 Answers Sep 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    • Pre River Cruise Hotel & Transportation

Basel Jul 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Any suggestions for a nice reasonably priced hotel for one night prior to an Amawaterways cruise in November?
      Any suggestions on transportation and estimated costs? I've seen on posts a Tram is 1 KM away from port, and dragging a suitcase in the snow (?if any) does not seem feasible, and Taxi's for a few KM I've heard can be spendy like $70 USD? Any advice is appreciated! Thank You!

2 Answers Aug 3, 2013 at 1:05 AM
    • TRAVEL FROM BASEL AIRPORT TO LUCERNE HOTEL

Basel Jul 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM

We will reaching Basel Airport on 22nd July'13 around noon . We are booked at Lucerne Hotel. We are a family of 4 Adults. What is the most Economical mode of transport with Half fare Travel card & details of the journey.

2 Answers Jul 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    • Douglasatorok's Profile Photo

Customs

Basel Jul 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM

traveling from the US to Basel via Frankfurt, where does one clear customs?

4 Answers Jul 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    • IdreamIam's Profile Photo

Only 5 hours

Basel Jun 27, 2013 at 3:34 AM

We finish a river cruise in Basel about 9am and our flight does not leave till 3pm so have a few hours to kill and will have our bags. Can anyone suggest a guide with a car that can show us around for a few hours and then drop us at the airport.

6 Answers Jul 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    • DaneW's Profile Photo

Schengen Visa requirements to fly out of Basel Mulhouse

Basel May 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I am a South African Citizen and will have a valid Schengen visa. I will be vacationing in Freiburg for 11 days ( 4-15 July 2013 ) and then will need to catch a flight out of Basel Mulhouse to Amsterdam. I will catch the train from Freiburg to the Basel Euro-airport and from the looks of it the train goes through Basel and therefore Switzerland - I will not have a swiss visa so will i be able to get to the airport?

4 Answers May 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    • public transportatiom

Basel May 7, 2013 at 10:59 PM

What is the price of trams and buses. We need to get from the Viking cruise terminal to the train station

2 Answers May 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    • How to go from Paris to Basel without TGV

Basel Apr 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Hi all!! i need to go from Paris CDG to Basel. I checked the train rates, and almost all connections requires me to take the TGV train. Booking online is not an option to me, any other routes or regional train i can take? the total duration set by my missus is around 5 hours. the fastest route i checked thru DB Bahn websites is 9 - 13 hours and usually starts in the afternoon. my flight arrives at 7am morning.
      thanks for any advise!!!
      Nic

2 Answers Apr 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    • Getting from Paris to Basel (updated 2013)

Basel Apr 4, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Hi all!! i need to go from Paris CDG to Basel. I checked the train rates, and almost all connections requires me to take the TGV train. Booking online is not an option to me, any other routes or regional train i can take? the total duration set by my missus is around 5 hours. the fastest route i checked thru DB Bahn websites is 9 - 13 hours and usually starts in the afternoon. my flight arrives at 7am morning.
      thanks for any advise!!!
      Nic

9 Answers Apr 8, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    • Basel - Solving a Dilemma

Basel Jan 15, 2013 at 5:43 AM

Hello dear travellers,

I am Panos. In the mid-June I am thinking of going with my wife to Basel, Switzerland. We are thinking of spending almost one week. Since I am map lover, I started checking the map and realized that Basel is a great spot in the middle of Europe, from where one can see not only one country but 3 at the same time (Switzerland, France and Germany).
      So, right now I have a dilemma on how to spend my days in Basel. Should I stay one or two days there and then go to Munich or to Strasbourg (France).
      Also, I would like to visit Zurich (does it worth it?)
      So, what do you suggest me to do? Spend all the days in Switzerland or divide them by going to France or Germany?

Finally, in order to help you with your proposal, I would like to say that me and my wife love mainly historical places (medieval), baroque and Gothic buildings and also.. good food! :)

I hope my information was enough and those of you that have seen all the above places could propose to us a great option.

Looking forward to your reply,

Best Regards,
      Panos

2 Answers Jan 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    • christine.j's Profile Photo

Where to park and get taxi ?

Basel May 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM

We're taking my mother to the toy museum in the centre of Basel. She cannot walk very well, so we plan to park our car outside the centre and take a taxi from the parking lot to the entrance of the museum. I know there is good public transport, but she cannot manage that, a car is much easier for her.
      What's a good place to park and get a taxi?
      And does anyone know how much the taxi will be approximately? I have to get Swiss Francs and would like to know how many I should get.
      Thank you.

4 Answers Jan 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM