Travel Answers
Johnsonville

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

Anyone experienced DiscoverNewZealand travel company recently?

New Zealand Aug 20, 2016 at 9:54 PM

For someone flying in/out of Auckland in mid-late October and having 10-12 days to explore the north island, do you have a preferred trip company or personal experience with one? I'm doing initial research right now via VT and elsewhere..

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

more
    • 3 weeks stay, need advise please

New Zealand Aug 15, 2016 at 7:47 AM

Hi, I will appreciate all your advise please.

period of stay = 18 nov, 9 dec

about me = 36 y.o., travelling alone, backpackers style (hostel, couchsurfing...), I will rent a cheap car (omegacar rental ? the cheapest I found for the south island from nelson to christchurch), I love sports,.. ready everymorning from 8 or 9am and sleep not late in order to enjoy a maximum

My itinerary =

North Island
      day 1 / arrival auckland 12h05.... stay in auckland
      day 2 / drive to tongariro park
      day 3 / tongariro alpine crossing 8 hrs (sleep in tongariro)
      day 4 / rotorua
      day 5 / afternoon, drive to coromandel peninsula (+stop at matamata for LOTR? I am not a big fan but it's an option)
      day 6 / coromandel peninsula
      day 7 / back to auckland and flight to nelson + drive in abel tasman area

South Island
      day 8 / abel tasman
      day 9 / abel tasman
      day 10 / drive to punakaiki or hokitika
      day 11 / drive to franz joseph area
      day 12 / drive to wanaka
      day 13 / wanaka
      day 14 / drive to te anau
      day 15 / kepler track, trek
      day 16 / kepler track, trek
      day 17 / kepler track, trek, drive to queenstown
      day 18 / queenstown
      day 19 / drive to aoraki (in which city to find hostel because there is not a lot of choice in aoraki ?)
      day 20 / drive to christchurch
      day 21 / flight to auckland, visit the city
      day 22 / flight back to Europe at 14h05

more
    • South Island

New Zealand Jul 31, 2016 at 6:30 AM

Hi everyone
      I am just after some advice on my itinerary do you think it is to rushed anywhere am I missing anything super important and do you think the number of days in each place is okay?

We arrive in Christchurch mid Oct and fly out 14 days later

Day 1 arrive Christchurch stay 1 night
      Day 2 Pick up motorhome head to hammer springs stay overnight
      Day 3 Kaikoura possibly swim with seals
      Day 4 Blenheim (wine tout)
      Day 5 greymouth
      Day 6 greymouth (glow worm tubbing experience)

more
    • Driving using Waze and Device for Mobile Phones & IPad

New Zealand Aug 1, 2016 at 2:21 AM

Hi, can anyone tell me if Waze is popular in NZ for driving from North Island to South Island? I was thinking of relying on Waze versus a GPS.

Another matter is that I am looking to rent a device that allows four /five devices to be logged on at the same time?
      Which provides better coverage - 2degree or vodafone? Or are there other telcos?

more
    • Transportation by bus/train

New Zealand Jul 28, 2016 at 8:33 AM

I will be taking northern explorer from Wellington to Auckland will reach Auckland at about 6:45pm (ngaoho place, the strand, auckland central).. is there any bus from there going to CBD area? any backpacker hotel recommendations? and how far the CBD area from Auckland Airport?.. and from CBD area going to Hobbiton how many hours by bus/train? would really appreciate any help as i will be travelling alone. thanks

more
    • Queenstown-Mt Cook-Tekapo

New Zealand Aug 20, 2016 at 6:41 PM

I would like to take Tasman Glacier boat excursion on Mt Cook. I will leave from Queestown and end in Tekapo to meet other tour members. I have checked that bus from Queenstown will arrive at Mt Cook at 12:30 pm, so the earliest boat excursion I can join is the one starts at 2:00 pm. The tour lasts for 2.5 hours, but the local bus to Tekapo leaves at 4:00 pm, that means I will miss the local bus. Does anyone know if there are any local tours from either Queenstown or Tekapo that will take me to Mt Cook with staying time long enough for me to join boat excursion and go back to Tekapo on the same day? Is there any transportation other than Cook Connection bus that will take me to Tekapo? What other options do I have?

In the event that a boat excursion is not possible on the same day, what else can I do on Mt Cook other than taking ski plane? Will I still be able to see the icebergs if not taking the boat? I will be travelling with my 75 year old mum. Will I still be able to see the icebergs if not taking the boat?

more
    • BEST RENTAL CAR COMPANY??

New Zealand Jul 30, 2016 at 8:55 PM

I am looking for a great mode of transport to get around. I'm not into car sharing because I like to have freedom and go or stop when and where I like on the way to places. What is the best car rental company to deal with at a great rate.

more
    • 1 month in the Northland Feb 2017

New Zealand Aug 13, 2016 at 1:53 PM

My husband and I are planning to spend 1 month in New Zealand to get a break from the Canadian winter. This will replace our balmy winter holidays in warm places such as Costa Rica, Aruba etc. As New Zealand is so big, we are thinking to spend time in the warmer parts of New Zealand - the Northland- where we will also have some opportunity for beach time and swimming. We are on a budget and are hoping to find perhaps two one week assignments as house sitters in different locations, and spend the rest of the time travelling. Ideally I would like to arrange for two to three different home bases in nice areas ( one near a beach for swimming) were we can just hang out and can do local sightseeing as well as do day trips etc. Driving in a foreign country can be stressful, we don't want to do it on a daily basis. Perhaps rent a car for a week, stay put for the rest or do bus excursions.

Can some people please suggest nice areas that are either just enjoyable in themselves, or would lend themselves as a base from which to tour a bit? We are not interested in big city adventures ( we live in a big city). We are interested in nature, natural wonders, local culture and cuisine.

If by chance someone has experience with a particular house sitting website, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance!

more
    • A Bit Here & There

New Zealand Jul 27, 2016 at 1:16 AM

We are a party of four who will be arriving into Auckland on 22 Nov late afternoon. As our hotel is off Queen Street, can someone please advise if it is worth my while to catch a bus to Parnell rose garden or Ponsonby or just stick around the CBD? We will spend the whole of next day in Auckland. Any recommendations? We do not want to do Kelly Tarlton or museums. I am the only one in the party who has been to North Island and I remember from my trip in 2007 visiting One Tree Hill. Is it worth going, seeing that the One Tree has been removed?
      Having read numerous forums suggesting a ferry ride to neighbouring islands/bays, can someone recommend one to us for a half-day visit? We will need to be back to Auckland by 4:00pm as we have to pick up our rental car. We are thinking of grabbing a bite from the Auckland Fish market. Are there fresh oysters there? I have read that it is not as big a set-up as Sydney's Fish market though. I welcome any recommendations on cheap eats.

We will be headed to Hamilton for a short visit at the Hamilton Gardens guided tour the next morning. Can someone recommend any cheap eats along the way from Hamilton to Waitomo Caves? We are booked for a 4:00pm visit to Waitomo Caves.

Any cheap eats recommendation for Matamata is also welcome after our tour of Hobbiton the following day.
      Apart from one night dining at Tamaki, I am seeking recommendations for cheap eats at Rotorua too.
      As we are after a lunch venue at Taupo, can someone recommend a place to go for trout for lunch? I need something fast as we are driving through Taupo to Huka Falls and going on to Napier.
      Which winery restaurant should we visit? I am looking for a dining venue that offers good food and nice view of the vineyard.
      I have read that Wellington is a craft beer city so is Grill Meats Beer worth a visit? any recommendations for a dining venue that serves craft beer and food (burgers, pastas and pizzas would be good.)
      We plan to stop over for lunch at one of the vineyards at Blenheim. Any recommendation on a winery?
      We plan to visit Nin's Bin at Kaikoura. As we are going to be overnight at Kaikoura, any other recommendation is most welcome.
      We would like to visit Fergburger in Queenstown. As we do not take beef, do they serve other meats?
      What else is worth visiting for dining in Queenstown as we have three nights there? We are doing a dinner cruise one night onboard TSS Earnslaw.
      What about dining in Christchurch? Any recommendations?
      Any recommendations for dining in Cromwall? We are doing a 7 hour drive from Christchurch direct to Queenstown? Where is a good place to stop for meals (lunch)?
      Any recommendations for Franz Josef?

On another note, how do I get hold of the Virtual Tourist flag? I would like to have one in my photo.
      Am planning a tandem skydive in Queenstown and Heli Ice Hike in Franz Josef.
      And a ride on the Tranz Alpine.

Thanx in advance.

more
    • Hire car restrictions in South Island (eg. gravel roads, Tasman Valley Road @ Mt Cook)

New Zealand Aug 18, 2016 at 6:09 PM

A number of car hire companies restrict travel on gravel roads & particular roads including Tasman Valley Road @ Mt Cook. Any suggestions of those with less restrictions? We'd really like to do the walk at Tasman Valley which relies on driving on Tasman Valley Road and also a number of gravel roads into attractions in the Catlins/Owaka area (eg. Nugget Point).

more
    • Buying Supplements in NZ

New Zealand Aug 10, 2016 at 2:06 AM

I have bought supplements at discounted prices at Chemist Warehouse when visiting Australia. Can someone advise if there is a Chemist Warehouse in New Zealand? Or where can I get supplements at discounted prices in Auckland or Wellington or Christchurch? Thanx.

more