Travel Answers
Isla Cozumel

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Locals go? Free wifi spots? Rock climbing?

by CrewMember16 Online Now Jun 23, 2016 at 5:25 AM

Hi, im a crew member on a cruise ship that'll be docking in Cozumel every week. I just want to know where the best places locals go for food and entertainment? (Preferably with free wifi). Also, if anyone knows of any rock climbing places? Thanks in advance

2 Answers Jun 23, 2016 at 12:23 PM
    • Jmo7748's Profile Photo

Fishing in May 2016

by Jmo7748 Online Now Feb 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM

I want to go fishing when I visit. Rather than book an excursion, I would like to pay a local to take me (possibly two more ple) out. Anyone have the inside scoop? Thx Jenni

• beatsworkin's Profile Photo

Best "From Shore" Snorkeling?

by beatsworkin Online Now Feb 12, 2016 at 10:05 AM

My wife & I will be in Cozumel next week. We may end up on a snorkeling excursion, but would also like to know which areas are best to do your own thing from shore.

8 Answers Feb 14, 2016 at 8:34 AM
    • beatsworkin's Profile Photo

Rent a car or hire a driver?

by beatsworkin Online Now Dec 3, 2015 at 11:40 AM

We will be in Cozumel for a week in February 2016. We will not be staying at an all-inclusive and want to explore the island as much as possible. We'd love to hear from those who have "been there, done that" regarding renting a car vs hiring a driver.

6 Answers Apr 12, 2016 at 2:27 PM
    • Best place to stay away from the cruise ships

by sun_dance Online Now Oct 8, 2015 at 1:57 PM

Hi VT peeps! Thinking of going to Isla Cozumel in Feb 2016. Anyone recommend a a good part of the island to stay at AWAY from the cruise ships? Want a clean clear pretty beach for swimming and snorkeling don't care about the touristy stuff. Thanks in advance!

3 Answers Jan 6, 2016 at 8:52 AM
    • Cruise stop in Cozumel

by canada5 Online Now Feb 16, 2015 at 5:42 PM

Two Families (kids age 15 & 12), coming to Cozumel on MSC Cruise in March. Thinking of doing Thriller Jet Boat Ride. Do you recommend? I believe it is a 15 min cab ride from port. Right? How much would cab ride be? Afterwards thinking of finding a beach. Is Paradise Beach close? Is there another beach you would recommend? Thanks!!!!

4 Answers Feb 25, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    • Renting a car for a week?

by WanderlustLipstick89 Online Now Feb 4, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Hi, my family and I are planning to travel to Cozumel for a week long trip. We are looking into transportation options for our stay.

I understand there are plenty of taxis. However, we plan to make a trip around the Island of Cozumel visiting various sites including sites that are on the other side of the island which requires at least an hour commute or more.

Many of the tours you can book cost over $100US and we think that renting a car could be a better option for us and save us money. Renting a car would allow us to travel on our own time and pay on our own terms rather then spending hideous amounts just to drive somewhere to get a tour.

We don't plan to use the car to travel to Chichen Itza or Tulum. We will take tours to those to locations off the island.

What we would like to know if renting a car is a good idea or not. We have heard it is super dangerous to drive in Cozumel because drivers there show no mercy. We are very nervous about getting into an accident.

We also have questions regarding car insurance coverage in Mexico since all US policies do not cover out of the country vehicles.

Please, we need a variety of advice and pros/cons of why or why not.

We have already visited numerous sites as to why and why not but we are still at a stand still as to whether to depend on a taxi for everything we want to do or make it a do-it-yourself trip on the island.

For other details that might help to answer our plea for advice, there are 4 of us which taxis may or may not charge per person and the costs will add up.

Please, any advice from the pros and worldwide travelers!

2 Answers Feb 5, 2015 at 5:41 AM
    • maggiefoss's Profile Photo

a good beach to go to for a few hours from the cruise ship

by maggiefoss Online Now Jan 26, 2015 at 11:45 PM

We are coming into Cozumel on a cruise ship. What would be a good beach to go to for the day (we are in port form 8am until 3 pm). we are traveling with our elderly mother, who loves to swim in the ocean. She can't really do a lot of walking around, so we are looking for something that she can enjoy with out tons of walking. Is there a good tour we should do, or would a beach be the best?

3 Answers Jan 27, 2015 at 4:45 AM
    • Looking for name of store in Cozumel

by CindyJ19 Online Now Dec 27, 2014 at 2:09 PM

What is the name of the shop that carries items that change color in sunlight?

1 Answer Dec 27, 2014 at 2:57 PM
    • Is it safe to drink alcohol in Cozumel?

by AmandaG16 Online Now Sep 3, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Me and my Husband are traveling to Cozumel in December.
      We heard that drinking any alcohol that is NOT in a closed bottle, to not drink it because it will
      make you really sick.

If it's not safe to drink mixed drinks, what kind of alcohol do you drink besides beer?

Is it safe in SR Frogs, and Hard Rock Cafe?
      Would appreciate the info :)

8 Answers Sep 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    • winniezpoo's Profile Photo

What to do in Cozumel?

by winniezpoo Online Now Jul 10, 2014 at 5:28 AM

My 14 year old son and I will be here for one day...8-9 PM so we need to see the best stuff. What do you recommend?

4 Answers Jul 11, 2014 at 10:10 AM
    • jeep rental

by mkaste0702 Online Now Jun 29, 2014 at 10:59 AM

is ernestos good to rent from in cozumel?

• EnolaKrown's Profile Photo

Hair products for wavy/curly hair?

by EnolaKrown Online Now Mar 8, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Hello. I will be visiting Cozumel within the next few months and want to have the right products to keep my curls tamed. When I visited Puerto Rico years back I remember the hair product I used, and that work fine here in Nebraska, felt sticky when used in the different climate. So I was wondering if there was any curly haired people out there that knew a good curl cream/hairspray (anything) that actually helped keep their curls tamed while in Cozumel and didn't get sticky?

1 Answer Mar 23, 2014 at 9:25 PM
    • hot sauce store

by jib123 Online Now Mar 2, 2014 at 5:50 PM

what is the name of the store at puerta maya that sells hot sauce?

• Tour Companies

by cmhahn Online Now Feb 23, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Are there any tour companies that you recommend using? Are there any that you DO NOT recommend using?
      I'm thinking of going to Chichen Itza.

4 Answers Feb 24, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    • Jojothibo's Profile Photo

Going to and renting à véhicule in Cozumel

by Jojothibo Online Now Jan 28, 2014 at 7:16 AM

We are thinking about passing 1 day in Cozumel.
      Renting à car is à good idea? Is it expensive?
      We are not the group tourist type... Is it à tourist trap?
      I mean, hôtels, shops, and not much to visit without being with hundreds...
      We dont scuba dive...

2 Answers Jan 28, 2014 at 12:03 PM
    • Jojothibo's Profile Photo

Renting and going to Cizumel

by Jojothibo Online Now Jan 28, 2014 at 5:00 AM

We are travelling around Yucatán and thinking about going for 1 day on Cozumel.
      We are not the group tourist type. What´s your best advice?
      We are thinking in renting à car: in Playa del Carmen before taking the boat or when we arrive?
      Is it worth the trip? We dont go scuba diving.

2 Answers Feb 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    • Trip to Cozumel

by maryann1130 Online Now Oct 17, 2013 at 4:47 AM

planning to visit Cozumel early December, two middle age women. interested in : moderate price decent all inclusive, car rental and safety in doing so, and recommendations for week of adventure, will snorkel but not scuba . Thanks, Mary

1 Answer Oct 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    • acloud's Profile Photo

public beaches

by acloud Online Now Aug 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Cozumel is a stop on our upcoming cruise. We've been there several times and have no desire to take a tour or excursion this time. We just want the kids to play in the sand for a couple of hours. Any public beaches (read "free") near Puerta Maya that can be reached by foot? I've read all about the great all inclusive beaches, the beauties reached by cab, etc., but this time i just need a beach with some sand for the grand babies to dig in and then head back to the ship, not an all day commitment. :) Thanks for your help!

3 Answers Aug 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    • Nikki65's Profile Photo

How do I get my rental car from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel and back again?

by Nikki65 Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I am planning a 10 day trip to Cozumel in September. We'd really like to fly into Cancun, see the ruins in Tulum, stay the night on the main land and then, take the ferry to Cozumel the next day. Then, we'd take the ferry back to Playa del Carmen at the end of our visit and drive to Cancun to fly home.

I want to rent a car at the Cancun airport for the entirety of the trip and return it there at the end. Is this possible? I've been reading rumors that the car ferry doesn't allow rental cars and even if it did the wait times are horrible.

Would I be better off renting a car from Cancun to Playa del Carmen, an additional car in Cozumel, and then still another car from Playa del Carmen to drive the hour back to the airport? Also, is America Car Rental a good agency?

Thanks for any help.

3 Answers Jan 12, 2013 at 5:36 AM
    • SunnyIsle's Profile Photo

Gettting to Mexico City from Cozumel

by SunnyIsle Online Now Oct 11, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Will be cruising to Cozumel in 2012, however I am interested in adding Mexico City during that 24-hour stay. Is it possible and how, please?

5 Answers Oct 19, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    • Shopping

by Nanascot Online Now Sep 30, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Does Cozumel have a ferrioni store?

1 Answer Oct 10, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    • Giraffe2's Profile Photo

Shopping for jewelery in Cozumel

by Giraffe2 Online Now Aug 10, 2011 at 1:06 PM

We are cruising to the western Carribean next week and will be stopping in Cozumel. Where are the best places to shop for jewelry there? Also, any tips for Georgetown, Grand Cayman and Labadee, Haiti would be appreciated.

3 Answers Jan 1, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    • Cruise tour recommendation?

by FloKnows Online Now May 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I am going to Cozumel on a cruise in June. Can anyone recommend a good off-ship tour?

3 Answers May 18, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    • Traveling with a Baby--but Not a Car Seat

by trademark1 Online Now Mar 8, 2011 at 8:28 AM

We will be in Cozumel for a cruise ship stop in April 2011. We are interested in playing on the beach, but don't want to haul our car seat for a cab ride. Can anyone suggest either a safe, clean beach (or resort) within walking distance of the cruise port (we will be on Norwegian) -OR- a resort that offers transportation other than a taxi for which we would not need a car seat?

Thank you!

• colerick3's Profile Photo

Safety Concerns

by colerick3 Online Now Dec 4, 2010 at 10:17 AM

With all the problems that Mexico is encountering with the drug cartels, is it safe to travel around Cozumel?

We are flying there the end of December.

Thank you.

5 Answers Dec 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    • hotel

by blondeval Online Now Sep 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I am going on a cruise to Cozumel in Nov. I wanted to book a hotel that was close to the cruise port. Anyone know of any great hotels close by? Thanks:)

2 Answers Sep 4, 2013 at 5:08 AM
    • Woody's Cozumel Phone Number

by eded Online Now Apr 30, 2010 at 5:55 AM

Does anyone have a phone number for Woody's in Cozumel. I purchased a shirt while there and now need to get more for friends, thanks

• Snorkeling

by krhildy Online Now Jan 28, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Will I need a wet suit to snorkel off the South shore of CozumelL

7 Answers Feb 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    • Car Rental

by sekcpj Online Now Jan 13, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Can anyone tell me a good and reliable place to rent a jeep in Cozumel?

1 Answer Jan 13, 2010 at 7:56 PM