VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
India

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Hyatt Place Gurgaon Delhi or Le Meridien Gurgaon Delhi

New Delhi Feb 13, 2017 at 12:56 PM

How would you rate the surroundings of these hotels? Are they in good neighborhoods? Is there any construction going on in the immediate vicinity?

• Hyatt Place Gurgaon or Le Meridien Gurgaon

Delhi Feb 13, 2017 at 10:18 AM

Which of these hotels would you recommend?

1 Answer Feb 13, 2017 at 12:43 PM
    • Bag storage at mumbai CST station.

Mumbai Feb 8, 2017 at 8:26 AM

We are arriving at mumbai CSTM (I believe it is called VT station) at around 11:00 AM. We have a flight to catch at 9:00 PM from the domestic airport. We are wondering if there is safe, baggage storage facilities at the station. Would greatly appreciate input from anyone. Thanks.

• Delhi to Jaipur by Taxi in March 2017

Delhi Jan 29, 2017 at 6:57 AM

Hi everyone!
      Can anyone please recommend reliable and safe taxi firm/driver from Delhi to Jaipur? How long would the journey be and how much should we expect to pay?

Has anyone used or can recommend hippocabs or jaipurdelhitaxis which we saw on the internet?

I've looked at train times but they're not very suitable for when we arrive from Dharamsala so looking at taxi options.

Many thanks!

• Man vs Wild - Munnar edition ;)

Munnar Jan 15, 2017 at 4:31 PM

Hi, i want to go jungle treking on a long multiple day camping trip; around, to, or from Munnar.
      I want to do this alone.
      Do you guys know, any routes, source of information, tips....?

Thank youuuu

• Cell phone.

Mumbai Jan 9, 2017 at 7:01 PM

I happened to have a Samsung Galaxy S3 cell phone (USA) that I plan to travel to India with. I have heard that the frequencies used by Indian carriers for GSM-2, 3 may be different from the ones supported by Samsung S3.
      Would there be someone who is using a Samsung Galaxy S3 cell phone in India and knows that it works. Thanks.

John.
      Samsung S3 Specs. :
      gsmchoice.com/en/catalogue/s...

1 Answer Jan 9, 2017 at 10:57 PM
    • Getting a sim card for a cell phone.

Mumbai Jan 6, 2017 at 8:26 AM

I am wondering how easy/difficult would it be to get a sim card, perhaps at the Mumbai airport itself. I have all the necessary id's such as my North American passport, Driver's license, Credit card. Having access to a phone would be a definite asset. Any information in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John.

3 Answers Jan 7, 2017 at 1:28 AM
    • Availability of Indian currency.

Mumbai Jan 4, 2017 at 6:22 PM

I plan to visit India for a three week period. I realize there is a currency crunch at this time (Jan. 4th 2017 today) in India. I am wondering if ATM machines in Mumbai have started dispensing out the cash? I have a couple of USA credit cards and a US Bank ATM card. Will it be a grim situation for me? I also have a couple of hundred US Dollars in cash with me. Any suggestion (short of don't come) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John.

3 Answers Jan 5, 2017 at 10:35 AM
    • Best Airlines

India Jan 2, 2017 at 9:49 PM

Which Domestic Airlines is Best in South India?

5 Answers Jan 4, 2017 at 7:47 AM
    • Gangtok Itineraries

Gangtok Jan 1, 2017 at 8:31 AM

I am planning a 1 week trip to gangtok. Need a 6 days Itineraries of gangtok ASAP. Thank you.

5 Answers Jan 10, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    • ShaktiGal's Profile Photo

Macleod Ganj with Kids June toAug Budget hotel & Packing tips?

Dharamsala Dec 31, 2016 at 6:04 AM

I am travelling to Dharamsala in June with my two boys (9&11) and my older mom. We are staying for 3 months while I study in Bhagsu, but feel the boys and my mother may enjoy being closer to Macleod Ganj.

Any budget hotel suggestions that are kid friendly? Bhagsu vs. Macleod Gang?
      Packing suggestions for Monsoon season?
      Interesting places to volunteer/courses etc that would make this place fun for a 9 & 11 year old?

Thanks so much for any and all suggestions.
      Bobby

1 Answer Dec 31, 2016 at 11:28 PM
    • tcheuki's Profile Photo

Current position re domenyterisation

India Dec 29, 2016 at 11:36 PM

Hi travelling to Mumbai next week and have been looking at news articles regarding money shortages after withdrawal of larger notes. Kind of getting a mixed picture. What is actually happening? Is cash available at ATMs? Would I be able to get money at the airport? I have been to India a lot and understand that cash is still the main way to pay for goods and services, so therefore feeling a bit concerned. Any help/tips appreciated.

Regards.

Martin.

10 Answers Jan 3, 2017 at 8:19 AM
    • Query about Delhi-Manali.

Manali Dec 26, 2016 at 11:54 PM

I'm travelling to Manali for new year and I have a few questions I want answered asap.

1. I'm travelling with the HPTDC VOLVO AC bus which leaves from Himachal Bhawan in New Delhi in the evening. Is the bus good? And is the route safe to travel at night since it's a lot of fog in Delhi this year?
      2. I'll reach Delhi in the afternoon and since I have ample of time till evening, is there some place near Himachal Bhawan or in Connaught Place where I can store my luggage safely and explore Connuaght Place?

Awaiting early response.
      Thanks

1 Answer Dec 27, 2016 at 7:17 AM
    • Christ University, Bangalore -- so what's it really like?

Bangalore Dec 25, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Is there anyone out there among our VT people who have had any experience with Christ University in Bangalore?
      I'm mainly trying to get general information about what it is like both as an academic institution -- level of teaching, students -- and as a social atmosphere. Plus the quality of the actual, physical lay out.

Ask because I've had no experience with higher education in India and have the opportunity to link with a variety of universities (in areas of the social sciences, business, humanities, languages) -- and Christ University, Bangalore, is one of them. But is it a good choice?

If you know the place and feel like answering -- please be frank! Much appreciated.

Thank you. - Eurycleia

10 Answers Jan 2, 2017 at 12:01 AM
    • money exchange

Kovalam Dec 22, 2016 at 12:55 AM

Where is the best place to get good exchange rates in the kovalam area apart from banks

3 Answers Jan 15, 2017 at 2:47 AM
    • Which is best Beach Resort in Goa?

Goa Dec 21, 2016 at 3:06 AM

I'm looking for a beach resort in Goa and bit confused in choosing a best stay option at reasonable rates. I tried to search at google and found "Lemon tree amarante beach resort". Does anyone have idea about this resort?

1 Answer Dec 21, 2016 at 3:30 AM
    • sugandhgupta's Profile Photo

road trip in south india

India Dec 21, 2016 at 1:44 AM

need help in planning an itenary for the road trip in dec 2016, via car starting from chennai for 2 weeks. which way to head - towards goa/ kerela/ coorg/ munnar? we are not very touristy and prefer offbeat locales, serene nature and natural beauty

2 Answers Dec 22, 2016 at 7:18 AM
    • maestrousmc's Profile Photo

Help regarding rupee

India Dec 20, 2016 at 4:28 PM

I landed in Mumbai yesterday and it seems difficult to find places that'll take my 2000 rupee note, which is all I have. Can anyone off suggestion as to how I might be able to do so? I'm told that the ATMs only dispense 2000 as well. Thanks in advance. :)

5 Answers Jan 2, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    • Zanskar trek without guide

Ladakh Range Dec 19, 2016 at 8:23 AM

Hi, I am planning to do the Zanskar trek from Padum to Lamayuru next summer, however my budget is tight and I would like to do it alone (without guide). ju-lehadventure.com/trekking... I will be carrying a reliable GPS so I am confident I will find the way. My main concern is to know if homestays can be found all along the itinerary or if I will have to carry tent and food?
      Do you know if homestays can be found in Hanamur and Snertse?
      Thanks

• maestrousmc's Profile Photo

Free SIM Cards for tourists?

India Dec 18, 2016 at 6:20 AM

Hi. I'm traveling to India tomorrow morning and intend to purchase a SIM card for my trip. However, I've heard that tourists with e-Visas are being given SIM cards upon arrival: cntraveler.com/story/india-t...

Is there validity to this?

4 Answers Dec 19, 2016 at 10:09 PM
    • Best ladies shopping place for famous suits and sarees in kolkata, India ?

India Dec 18, 2016 at 6:01 AM

Best ladies shopping place for famous suits and sarees in kolkata, India ?

1 Answer Dec 18, 2016 at 1:39 PM
    • Goa Cheap Hotel for stay

Goa Dec 17, 2016 at 2:45 AM

can anyone suggest cheap and best hotel for stay under 600 per day/night in Goa? me n my bf planning to go Goa ..plz reply m waiting :)

4 Answers Dec 17, 2016 at 4:51 PM
    • POLICE CLEARANCE FROM MUMBAI FOR ENTRY PERMIT

Union Territory of Lakshadweep Dec 16, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Hi , we will be visiting Lakshdweep on 27 Jan 2017 . I understand police clearance is required from local jurisdiction ( Mumbai )
      I was told that online clearance is possible and there is no provision in online form where I can get police clearance for visiting within India ( Lakshdweep )

Reference for somebody ( Mumbaiker) who has visited recently will be of great help .

3 Answers Dec 17, 2016 at 10:09 AM
    • PNR numbers

India Dec 14, 2016 at 3:44 AM

I have an Indian 30 day rail pass with 11 journeys. I have just been sent the PNR numbers and told to verify them on the indianrail.gov.in site. This site has been unavailable for the past 5 days. Help please!

1 Answer Dec 14, 2016 at 3:53 AM
    • alamtapash's Profile Photo

Travel to Shimla and near other places

Shimla Dec 10, 2016 at 7:33 AM

Hi,

I and my family (wife, 2 kids - 11 years and 7 years) will reach Shimla on 17-Dec-2016. We will start from Delhi to Shimla at around 8 AM by rented Car. This is the first first we will visit that area. Need to book our hotels there.

1. Pls. let us know which area of Shimla will be good place to stay for us (new tourists)? I mean where many tourists stay.

2. We heard that Kufri is also an attractive place to visit. In that case, should we stay directly in Kufri instead of Shimla?

3. Is Manali usually colder than Shimla (asking for expert opinion though I am following weather there)? What are the good place in Manali to stay (like what I mean above).

Thanks.

3 Answers Dec 10, 2016 at 9:52 PM
    • India rupees

India Dec 8, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know what the current situation is in India regarding the Indian rupees?

Thanks,
      D

21 Answers Jan 2, 2017 at 11:16 AM
    • alamtapash's Profile Photo

Delhi Tour

Delhi Dec 7, 2016 at 9:18 AM

Hi,
      I am going to Delhi on 16th Dec, 2016 (at 9:30 PM) along with my wife, two kids (11 years and 7 years) on vacation.
      I want to stay there till 24th Dec; i.e; 8/9 days. i want to visit Shimla, Manali, Agra, Jaipur, Delhi city.

Would you pls. help me to make my tour plan - in which order the above locations to visit ? Is there any other good places that I missed above?

Thanking you in advance.

Shariful Alam

5 Answers Dec 8, 2016 at 9:44 AM
    • What to do outside Goa?

Goa Dec 5, 2016 at 1:15 PM

I have a couple of days to see the sites around Goa (away from the beach). Any tips on where I could travel?

3 Answers Dec 9, 2016 at 2:31 PM
    • What's to do outside Mumbai?

Mumbai Dec 5, 2016 at 1:12 PM

I have a couple of days to travel outside the city and see the surrounding areas. Any advice on where I should head?

3 Answers Dec 8, 2016 at 2:23 AM
    • Is this a good trip plan?

India Dec 4, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Hi I want to backpack by myself around the south of India My main goals on this journey are to jungle treck, see some temples and go to an ashram.

Money for the journey (flights apart) : 900£ Planning to stay 1 month.

Arrive: 10th jan airport kochi Leave: 10th feb airport Goa Stop by:

-Munar, Kerala for jungle trecking

- Coimbatore to stay at a ashram for a few days - Mysore. for city seeing, temples, markets etc. - Hampi, for bouldering, monkey temple, lake. - Palolem, touristy easy going to party bit, chill and then fly home.

Any traveller that could give me any tips, tell me whether this is not enough time, the journey too long, too little money, better places to see..... ANYTHING HELPS! thank you

Here is the route on google maps

google.co.uk/maps/dir/Cochin...

12 Answers Dec 22, 2016 at 5:38 AM