change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Lift share

Reykjavík Nov 29, 2016 at 1:44 AM

Hello.

A friend and I are coming to Reykjavik 03.12.16 for 5 nights to do all the normal tourist attraction but are not a fan of going on bus tours, so was looking for people/a person to lift share with.

Obviously we will be willing split the cost.

Thank you so much

more
    • afcop21's Profile Photo

Advice on sites to visit

Iceland Yesterday

My wife and I are getting down to site seeing while in Iceland. Arriving in Iceland on the 16th of May for 9 full days of traveling. We are looking for suggestions as we plan to travel in a camper.

more
    • Iandrei's Profile Photo

Share a rental car?

Reykjavík Nov 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Hello all, I'm currently in Reykjavik, in Kex Hostel, I planned to do the Ring Road, until the end of novemver, but my wallet got stolen in Barcelona, along with my driving license.

Anyone here who would like to share renting a car? Or has any available space? I will have money available since Monday evening.

Thank you so much!

Ian, from Panama 

more
    • ask about iceland

Iceland Dec 3, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Hi Everyone

my name is mouhssin I live in Morocco, and I love the staten 'Island' and I want you to explain to me how to login to it and what are the requirements to live there thanks

more
    • Driving in March

Iceland Nov 12, 2016 at 5:41 PM

We're planning a 4 day visit to see South Iceland in end March. May I know if there are any F roads for visiting Þingvellir National Park, Thingvellir National Park, Gullfoss waterfall, Geyser geothermal field, Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, Reynisfjara Beach, Dyrhólaey Arch, Kirkjubæjarklaustu, Svínafellsjökull Glacier in Skaftafell Park, Jökulsárlón? We'll rent a 7 seater and I'm not sure if there's a 4x4 for that. How do we tell if it's a F road? We plan to stick to the main roads as much as we can.

Also, any advice on rest stops as we plan to drive from KEF to Vik where our hotel is after landing at 2pm and to arrive before it gets dark. Sun sets after 8pm so we should have plenty of time since Goggle map indicated a 3hr journey, though we are prepared to give it another 1-2hrs for winter driving. Would like to know some stops from airport up to Jökulsárlón where we can stop in case needs to wait out bad weather.

Thank you :-)

more
    • afcop21's Profile Photo

Advice on sites to visit

Iceland Yesterday

My wife and I are getting down to site seeing while in Iceland. Arriving in Iceland on the 16th of May for 9 full days of traveling. We are looking for suggestions as we plan to travel in a camper.

3 Answers Yesterday
    • ask about iceland

Iceland Dec 3, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Hi Everyone

my name is mouhssin I live in Morocco, and I love the staten 'Island' and I want you to explain to me how to login to it and what are the requirements to live there thanks

5 Answers Dec 4, 2016 at 9:12 AM
    • Lift share

Reykjavík Nov 29, 2016 at 1:44 AM

Hello.

A friend and I are coming to Reykjavik 03.12.16 for 5 nights to do all the normal tourist attraction but are not a fan of going on bus tours, so was looking for people/a person to lift share with.

Obviously we will be willing split the cost.

Thank you so much

1 Answer Nov 29, 2016 at 2:05 AM
    • Iandrei's Profile Photo

Share a rental car?

Reykjavík Nov 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Hello all, I'm currently in Reykjavik, in Kex Hostel, I planned to do the Ring Road, until the end of novemver, but my wallet got stolen in Barcelona, along with my driving license.

Anyone here who would like to share renting a car? Or has any available space? I will have money available since Monday evening.

Thank you so much!

Ian, from Panama 

3 Answers Nov 13, 2016 at 7:46 PM
    • Driving in March

Iceland Nov 12, 2016 at 5:41 PM

We're planning a 4 day visit to see South Iceland in end March. May I know if there are any F roads for visiting Þingvellir National Park, Thingvellir National Park, Gullfoss waterfall, Geyser geothermal field, Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, Reynisfjara Beach, Dyrhólaey Arch, Kirkjubæjarklaustu, Svínafellsjökull Glacier in Skaftafell Park, Jökulsárlón? We'll rent a 7 seater and I'm not sure if there's a 4x4 for that. How do we tell if it's a F road? We plan to stick to the main roads as much as we can.

Also, any advice on rest stops as we plan to drive from KEF to Vik where our hotel is after landing at 2pm and to arrive before it gets dark. Sun sets after 8pm so we should have plenty of time since Goggle map indicated a 3hr journey, though we are prepared to give it another 1-2hrs for winter driving. Would like to know some stops from airport up to Jökulsárlón where we can stop in case needs to wait out bad weather.

Thank you :-)

6 Answers Nov 14, 2016 at 4:31 PM
    • JocelynAguilar's Profile Photo

Finding ATMs

Iceland Oct 31, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Is it easy to find ATMs in Iceland? We are going to be around Reykjavik, SouthWest highlights.

10 Answers Nov 1, 2016 at 12:10 PM
    • JocelynAguilar's Profile Photo

6 days at Iceland

Iceland Oct 30, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Hi, Im planning a 6 day tour in Iceland. I have heard that the highlights are in the West, but I am wondering... If I stay in the West side, will I be able to see Northern Lights? I will be there on November 9th.
      What do you recommend? What should not be missed?
      Thank you! (Im renting a car, my sister and I on board).

12 Answers Nov 9, 2016 at 6:52 AM
    • Advice for traveling to Iceland

Iceland Oct 25, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are in the process of planning a trip to Iceland for 7 to 8 day in the beginning of March 2017. There's couple of reasons we are going during that time and not later in the spring. First, is that I'm currently in grad school and work full time job, so we're going during my spring break. Second, we hard it was a pretty good month to see the northern light and we would still be able to visit ice caves. Are tentative plan is to rent a car and travel the ring road. booking Air BNBs or hotels along the route.

What advice do you guys have for my first time? I've heard great things from people that have went. Though they mostly spent their time in reykjavik and I would like to venture out. Where should i visit? Places to stay? the best rental places? And so fourth.
      thank you all

4 Answers Nov 9, 2016 at 12:09 PM
    • samitbabu's Profile Photo

A complete trip around Iceland

Iceland Oct 23, 2016 at 12:17 AM

Is it possible to do a complete trip around Iceland in 9 days ?

I'll prefer to spend he first 5 days at the southern coast ( Golden Circle, Skogafoss area, Vik area till Jokulsarlon)

and just drive around to any two spots in the northern side to reach back to Reyjavik.

Spend the last couple of days at Reykjavik.

Need your opinion whether it would be a good decision.
      and maybe suggestion on two spots in the North of north-west Iceland which to cover.

Thanks,

10 Answers Oct 23, 2016 at 11:00 AM
    • Road trip in October with two Kids.

Iceland Oct 22, 2016 at 1:54 PM

Hi all,
      We are planning on travelling all the way around Iceland in October next year with our two kids. At that time they will be 3 and 6 years old. We almost haven't been able to find anyone who has experience with travelling with kids in Iceland, so we hope that some of you has got some insight.

We are planning to do the ring road in 30 days, so we have LOTS of time, which we find important because we will make a lot of stops because of the kids, and also because of the unpredictable autumn weather. So we are in no hurry, and will have time to wait for better weather and road conditions along the way.

We hope to rent a 4WD camper jeep so that we will be able to sleep in the car at campsites. Our questions are:
      - Will it be fine to sleep in the car, if it has got a heating system for the night times, or will it still be too cold?
      - We know that a lot of campsites will be closed, but does this mean, that we won't be able to park there, or can we park the car in the area for the night anyway (even though all the campsite's services has shut down)?.

- Does anyone have experience with travelling the ring road with young kids? Any tips or recommendations will be much appreciated.

4 Answers Oct 24, 2016 at 6:14 AM
    • Sim Card for my US phone?

Iceland Oct 14, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Hello all,

So my trip is fat approaching and I just remembered that I need to figure out a phone while in Iceland. I was thinking of either (a) getting new SIM card for my phone, or (b) trying to find a 4g wifi unit. I like the idea of the wifi unit just because it allows me to continue to use my regular phone number... making it easier for those form home to get in touch if needed. But, it appears that companies such as Trawire don't have anything available for my dates. So, where might I find a SIM card that I might be able to use for data, and for moderately priced calls home?

12 Answers Nov 5, 2016 at 9:30 AM
    • Iceland in Late October?

Iceland Sep 26, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Hello all,

I have just stumbled across this fantastic board and am excited to read pages and pages of posts while I research!

It looks like I may be taking a solo journey to Iceland towards the end of October (around the 18th or so for about a week). I know that I'm pretty far into the shoulder season, but I was hoping to drive the ring road (or at least a good portion of it, as I know it is recommended to take longer). My main goal will be to just be out on the road driving, seeing Iceland, and filling up as many memory cards as I can. Unfortunately, my budget precludes group tours so I'll just have to see what is there on my own! I'm hoping that there may be some fall colors in the ground cover to bring a different look to my images as well. So maybe some clear nights, maybe some fall colors, but hopefully some solitude and travel.

With that in mind, are there any specific things I should be aware of? I'm generally a camping type of person, but realize that that is most likely not an option at that time of year. Might it be best to find hostels? Are many hostels open at that time of year? I'm a confident winter driver here in the States but realize that winter in Iceland is a different beast all together. Between possibility of snow and high winds, are there areas that you might suggest I avoid?

Any tips, pointers, thoughts, links to threads I may have overlooked would be much appreciated! Thanks.

26 Answers Nov 14, 2016 at 4:28 PM
    • European Health Insurance Card

Iceland Sep 21, 2016 at 5:56 AM

I have heard that, though medical assistance is covered in Iceland through European Health Insurance Card, you will be charged a fixed amount with each service. Does anyone know how much is that fixed amount? Thanks for the answers.

7 Answers Sep 22, 2016 at 12:58 PM
    • csuresh's Profile Photo

6 days trip - comment on itinerary

Iceland Sep 20, 2016 at 4:52 AM

Uses rental car - last week of October '16:
      Day 1 - Land in Iceland and night stay
      Day 2 - Keflavik to Seljalandsfoss Waterfalls, Reynisfjara and stay at Kirkjubæjarklaustur lodge
      Day 3 - Kirkjubæjarklaustur to Jokulsarlon, Staftafell, hike to Skaftafellsjökull glacier and stay at Kirkjubæjarklaustur lodge
      Day 4 - Kirkjubæjarklaustur to Skógafoss, Gulfoss waterfall, Strokkur Geysir and stay at Selfoss lodge
      Day 5 - To Þingvellir National Park, Reykjavik and stay at Keflavik
      Day 6 - Leave Iceland

Questions: 1) Weather is the one everyone scares us. Can the above itinerary achievable and what are the risks?
      2) Food costs and availability of vegetarian also is one we are afraid of and trying to do some good planning - any advise
      3) Petrol and Diesel availability - considering the above itinerary maximum travel we will do will be around 350 km in a day - hoping we are not going to hit an issue - any precautions?
      4) We want to see Northern lights - read somewhere it comes only after 10pm till early morning - will it come earlier?
      5) I am travelling with my wife and 2 children (aged 11 and 7) - is the trip looking too aggressive to cover?

Thanks!

17 Answers Nov 9, 2016 at 6:55 AM
    • Solo trip, late September to early October

Iceland Sep 17, 2016 at 11:40 PM

Hi guys! I'm planning to make a solo trip to Iceland mainly for landscape photography and sightseeing & I was just wondering if it was a good idea to do so. I'm thinking of renting a camper van to sleep in, and visiting grocery stores for my meals. I'm also curious on how would I best handle my toilet/shower needs? Any help & additional information would be greatly appreciated! :)

11 Answers Sep 19, 2016 at 3:27 PM
    • Do we need snow tires from 9/17 to 10/8?

Iceland Sep 9, 2016 at 7:09 AM

We're driving around Iceland from 9/17 to 10/8 this year by our car.
      Do we need snow tires that time?

8 Answers Sep 12, 2016 at 10:27 AM
    • Hiking around Katla

Iceland Aug 31, 2016 at 4:39 AM

We are traveling to Iceland around the end of september, and we planned on hiking for a week. Our route is close to the Katla vulcan. Does anyone know if the route around the vulcan is still accessible because of the chances of an eruption?
      Thanks!

4 Answers Aug 31, 2016 at 10:56 AM
    • kaloz's Profile Photo

Must see and could miss pools

Reykjavík Aug 29, 2016 at 9:40 PM

I am coming to Iceland (4th time) for Jólaþorpið í Hafnarfirði. I would like to visit all of the public pools (17) in the capitol area. I have already been to Vesturbæjarlaug and Laugardalslaug. If my idea does not work out which pools can I miss? and which pools must I visit? Klébergslaug, Varmárlaug, Lágafellslaug, Grafarvogslaug, Árbæjarlaug, Breiðholtslaug, Salalaug, Ásvallalaug, Suðurbæjarlaug, Sundhöll Hafnarfjarðar, Ásgarðslaug Garðabæ, Sundlaug Kópavogs, Álftaneslaug, Seltjarnarneslaug, and Sundhöll Reykjavíkur. By visiting the pools I will see different areas and see more residents than tourists.

Since I will be visiting Hafnarfirðar, those pools and the ones on the #1 bus line are almost certain.

Thank you

10 Answers Aug 31, 2016 at 12:55 PM
    • Ice Caves and Ice Climbing

Iceland Aug 29, 2016 at 8:38 PM

1) Where is the best area to see the bright blue ice caves in Iceland in mid to late December? How long would it take to drive from Reykjavik to that area this time of year one way???
      2) Do you have to hire a guide/do a tour to see them?
      3) Is there anywhere close to this area to do a day ice climbing trip as well?
      4) Any other tips?

Thanks,
      Rachel

4 Answers Aug 30, 2016 at 1:41 PM
    • ozpaul's Profile Photo

Swimming with Ice

Reykjavík Aug 27, 2016 at 10:21 PM

Can someone tell me if there is a beach close to Reykjavik where you can swim with ice. We don't have enough time to travel to Jokulsarlon. I am a keen winter swimmer and would like to experience this aspect of Iceland. I have read about nauthólsvík beach - is there ice there in Winter?

3 Answers Aug 29, 2016 at 2:00 AM
    • First time visit

Iceland Aug 24, 2016 at 8:47 AM

HI Everyone,

3 of us will be travelling to spend a few days in Iceland (7th-10th Sep) and would really appreciate if someone / anyone with a bit more experience than us could take a look over our itinerary ( its our first time ). We have a camper booked via https://www.happycampers.is/ and would really appreciate if anyone had any suggestions our comments on the below. ( timings beside each is what we believe the distance from the previous location to be )

Map: google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid...

Day 1:
      - Supermarket (for supplies)
      - Bruarfoss Waterfall: 1hr 46min from Happy Campers
      - Geysir, Haukadalsvegur. 15min From Bruarfoss Waterfall
      - Gullfoss Waterfall 10min from Geysir
      - Secret Lagoon 30min from Gullfoss
      - Urridafoss 30min from Secret Lagoon

Day 2:
      - Seljalandsfoss 40min from Urridafoss
      - Skógafoss 26mins from Seljalandsfoss
      - Dyrhólaey 30min from Skogafoss
      - Vik 20min from Dyrholaey
      - Stjornafoss 50min from Vik
      - Svínafellsjökull 50min from Stjornafoss
      - Stokksnes 1hr 47min from Svínafellsjökull

Day 3:
      Pretty much open. Heading back towards Reykjavik to spend the night.

We will only be using the above as a guide and do not have to stick strictly to it.

Thank you in advance!
      Patrick

9 Answers Sep 1, 2016 at 8:48 PM
    • Affordable longer-term accomodation in Reykjavik

Reykjavík Aug 24, 2016 at 2:26 AM

My son and his friend from Cardiff University are spending a year studying at University of Iceland and have just arrived there. Currently the only affordable accommodation is Keflavick - quite a way to travel in everyday to study. Their monthly grant is only about £600-650 and most of the accommodation in the capital seems to be about that and more which leaves nothing for food etc. Does anyone know of a website that has affordable accommodation. Unfortunately the University hasn't been able to help.

6 Answers Aug 25, 2016 at 2:51 PM
    • Car rental rates

Iceland Aug 15, 2016 at 3:17 AM

Hi! I'm gonna land in Iceland at the end of the season (26/8) and travel for 2 weeks.

I wanted to know what would be cheaper- should I book online,

or could I try getting better rates on renting a car when I land (because it's the end of the season)?
      thanks!

8 Answers Aug 19, 2016 at 11:37 AM
    • Looking for travelers to share a car and drive through Iceland?

Iceland Aug 4, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Hi!
      Do you know of any website or group where I can meet people traveling to Iceland? I am planning to go on a roadtrip for a week (September 21-28), but I am traveling with just one person and I would like to share the fun (and the expenses) with one or two more travelers. Do you happen to know where I can meet people to travel with?
      Thanks for your help!
      Cheers,

2 Answers Aug 28, 2016 at 5:38 AM
    • acherman's Profile Photo

Best Travel Between Keflavik and Reykjavik Airports

Iceland Aug 3, 2016 at 5:43 PM

We have a flight from Toronto into Keflavik at 4:40 am on a Saturday, and need to catch another flight out of Reykjavik airport at 10:45 am the same day. What is the best way to travel between the two airports? I know they are 40-50 minutes apart, but all I can find for buses or shuttles seem to go to downtown Reykjavik (to the hotels). We will need to do the opposite trip 2 weeks later. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

5 Answers Aug 4, 2016 at 7:28 AM
    • SUGGEST SIGHTSEEING ON THE WAY AS PER HOTEL STAY

Iceland Jul 30, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Hi, We are planning a trip in the 3rd week of Sept for 9 days. I have an idea of the sightseeing to be done but would really appreciate if I could get some more information if I can save time on my routes. My day to day accommodation is mentioned below.

Day 1. Arrive KEF at 9am. Pick up car at airport and proceed. Overnight at Staður

Day 2 Overnight AKUREYRI

Day 3 Overnight LAUGAR

Day 4 Overnight SEYDISFJORDUR

Day 5 Overnight HOFN

Day 6 Overnight SKOGAR

Day 7 Overnight REYKJAVIK

Day 8 REYKJAVIK Blue Lagoon

Based on my accommodation above what will be the best way to go about sightseeing.

Thanks a ton

9 Answers Jul 31, 2016 at 10:14 AM
    • Travelling from Reykjavik to Vik (via the Golden Circle Route)

Iceland Jul 27, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Hi there, 

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction (or down the right roads!) for our upcoming trip to Iceland. We will be in Iceland for 4 full days and have booked accommodation as follows. Just hoping someone can tell me roughly how long (driving time) and directions from the Golden Circle to Vik and whether what I have planned as an itinerary is do-able and not too rushed! If there's anyting I've missed on Day 2 and 3, can you also let me know.

We are hoping to do the following:

DAY 1: Leave Reykjavik early morning and drive out onto Golden Circle Route (via Nesjavellir, Thingvellir, Geysir and Strokkur, and Gullfoss Waterfall) before heading to Vik (or actually the Mid Hvoll Cottages 10 km from Dyrhólaey peninsula).

DAY 2: Visit Reynisfjall Black Sands Beach, Dyrhólaey rock arch, Kirkjubæjarklaustur and Jokulsarlon laggon before heading back to Mid Hvoll Cottages.

DAY 3: Head back to Reykjavik, stopping at Vik, Seljaladsfoss Waterfall and ​Skogafoss Waterfall. (would we fit in a detour drive around Eyjafjallajokull and Solheimajokull glaciers?) before ending up back in Reykjavik for the night. 

DAY 4: Around Reykjavik before heading out to the Blue Lagoonand then to the airpoart for an evening flight.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

MrsDSox

3 Answers Jul 31, 2016 at 8:41 AM
    • Miyaaaaaaaaa's Profile Photo

Keep Clean (for Female)

Iceland Jul 27, 2016 at 3:04 AM

What will you take to keep yourself clean and healthy while go hiking ?

4 Answers Jul 27, 2016 at 12:30 PM
    • Iceland in October

Iceland Jul 27, 2016 at 12:18 AM

Hi!
      I'm going to visit Iceland in October with my family.Planning to take 4x4 and make a round CCW.
      Would be glad to have your suggestions and tips
      I also understand the weather could be a tricky part...

5 Answers Jul 31, 2016 at 1:01 PM
    • Morgandy14's Profile Photo

Quick response?? Other entry points to Glymur Falls?

Iceland Jul 25, 2016 at 12:42 PM

I am at the main parking lot. Both the left and right trails are roped off after about 150 metres, you can get as far as seeing the arch only.

Is there another entry way to take the hike up to the falls? I am thinking of getting back on the road and actually driving 20 miles in either direction to see if I find another.

Thanks as always...