VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Iceland Travel Answers

change location
ma3333's Profile Photo

Itinerary for southwest Iceland

by ma3333 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Dear friend ,

Pls. see my Itinerary for southwest Iceland:

Since our trip is clockwise we shall start at Vic:

Day 1

1. Dyrholaey 2. Skógafoss 3. Seljalandsfoss 4. Driving to Torsmork park 5. Night over in Hvolsvöllur area

Day 2

1. Drive to Hekla 2. Landmannalaugar 3. Night over in Flúðir area

Day 3

1. Gullfoss 2. Geysir, 3. Þingvellir

Driving to Reykjavik

I would Appreciate if you could share your thoughts on my plan.

1. Any recommended places to add

2. Can I squeeze this plan into two days

Thank you in advance, Meir  

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • jmpncsu's Profile Photo

Re: Itinerary for southwest Iceland

by jmpncsu Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Sounds like a great three days. One thing I would add for day 1. Go to Reynisfjara, which is between Vik and Dyrholaey. It is a beautiful black sand beach with basalt cliffs and volcanic rock formations jutting out of the water. There are also a lot of puffins who live on the cliffs.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Regina1965's Profile Photo

by Regina1965 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM

It is doable if you are visiting in summer. It is true, Reynisfjara and Hálsanefshellir cave is a must "Hálsanefshellir cave - lovely columnar basalt." - Iceland Things to Do Tip by Regina1965 while visiting this area. Have a look at my Iceland pages and subpage on Iceland for photos and tips. All the best, Regína

2 members found this helpful

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

by Regina1965 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    It is doable if you are visiting in summer time. It is true, Hálsanefshellir cave by Reynisfjara is not to be missed while in this area of Vík. "Hálsanefshellir cave - lovely columnar basalt." - Iceland Things to Do Tip by Regina1965

Have a look at my Iceland pages and subpages on Iceland for more tips and photos on my country.

All the best, Regína

1 member found this helpful

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 4:28 PM

We found Dyrholaey to be a wonderful place to observe puffins; well woth the stop, Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls are definintely worth stopping at; make sure you take some waterproof clothing to Seljalandsfoss, as you will be able to walk behind the waterfall.

Hekla we only saw from a distance and Landmannalaugar is an area that is good if you are planning some hiking, otherwise I might be tempted to skip it.

When visiting Gullfoss, Geysir (actually Strokkur is the geyer that is quite active), and Þingvellir, you should also plan a short detour to the Kerio crater that is also in the area. They are all very close to Reykjavik.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Iceland Travel Answer Locations