Travel Answers
Hyères

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• How tourist-y is Antibes in January or February?

Antibes Nov 7, 2016 at 12:32 AM

How tourist-y is Antibes in January or February?

I need a get-away soon, but I don't want to be around large numbers of tourists milling around, taking photos, partying. Unlike many tourists these days, I'm not "looking for the action" (excitement) at all.

I do speak French fluently and have been a francophile most of my life.

Is Antibes in the winter subdued enough, quiet enough for me to spend two weeks just de-compressing, wandering around, reading (French novels) and listening to classical music in my apartment? Or should I look elsewhere on the Cote d'Azur, somewhere smaller like Vence or Beaulieu, etc.??

more
    • Menton or Villefranche-sur-mer ?

Menton Nov 5, 2016 at 11:46 PM

How would you compare Menton with Villefranche-sur-mer as a base to explore the Cote d'Azur for a first-time traveler (to the French Riviera) for two-weeks? I am looking for a quiet village or small town atmosphere, away from hordes of tourists, and crossed off Antibes, etc. for that reason. Somehow I narrowed down to my list to Menton and Villefranche-sur-mer. I know the latter is much smaller and seems to cater to a more upper-tier clientele, while the former has attracted many French retirees.

I do speak French and have a degree in art history, with interest in French history and literature. I will not have a car.

more
    • How expensive...?

Villefranche-sur-Mer Nov 5, 2016 at 8:57 AM

How expensive are sundry items and groceries, not just tourist souvenirs? Is the mark-up really high?

more