My husband and I will this year spend Christmas in Zurich. After Christmas we would like to spend 2-3 days near Zurich enjoying the beautiful Swiss nature, before departing from Zurich airport on December 29.
We are looking for something in the mountain where we can enjoy the picturesque landscape and the snow. We don't ski but we would like to be able to go for some walks and enjoy the nature.
We are therefore looking for some advise of which areas we should look for and might even a hotel recommendation?
We would prefer a nice small hotel in the nature, maybe even with a spa where we can relax.
Our budget is somewhere around CHF 150-300 per night.
Hi, just posted this in the Lucerne forum, but since we are spending Christmas Eve in Zurich I thought it should be posted in Zurich's forum. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
I am a mom traveling with my three kids, ages 17, 19 and 20. The plan is to take a train from Munich on Wednesday, December 21, arriving in Lucerne at 6 pm. We have a tentative hotel reservation at Hotels Des Alps, but can still cancel with no penalty if anyone had a better suggestion.
I am slightly overwhelmed at the various options of things to do, and really want this to be an unforgettable experience for the kids. I keep looking at various tours from Viator and other companies to Mt Titlus and Mt Pilatus, but it is still not clear to me which of those two would be more enjoyable for my teen/adult kids.
We need to end up in Zurich and spend the night there on the night of December 24, Christmas Eve, so that I can take a 7am flight out of Zurich to Barcelona on Christmas morning.
So here are my questions:
1. Is Hotel Des Alpes in Lucerne a decent hotel in a good location to use as a base for a two days?
Just thinking one day trip to either Mt. Titlus or Mt. Pilatus, and the other day spent exploring old town in Lucerne.
Would love suggestions for a restaurant in Lucerne for a nice dinner.
2. What trip from Lucerne would be a better experience, Mt Pilatus or Mt Titlus?
Should we book a tour with a company or just figure out how to get there on our own? We would do this on either Thursday 12/22 or Friday 12/23 so I am assuming the restaurants and other attractions at the top would not be closed.
3. On the morning of Christmas Eve we will take a train from Lucerne to Zurich. So with just one day in Zurich, can anyone suggest what area to stay in and what to do...as in is there a good guided tour of Zurich that would last a few hours, or are we better off just picking a nice hotel in a walkable area and exploring that on our own. Are most of the shops and restaurants closed on Christmas Eve? I would actually like to stay in a nice hotel since it is Christmas Eve, and would love restaurant suggestions for a very nice Christmas Eve dinner in Zurich. So I would love hotel and restaurant and things to do in one day, please.
I know this a lot to ask but it is getting close and I need help and need to get these thing booked.
Thank you very much!
Thank you for those who had advice about Christmas Eve in Zurich.
So just a few more questions...
1. I can't seem to find info online about a mass on Christmas Eve. We are Catholic and only speak English, but would be fine attending any denomination church service on Christmas Eve that is not in English. Perhaps some singing, or a midnight mass, I just need help finding any info.
2. We arrive at 11 am in Zurich, by train from Lucerne. Will be flying out of Zurich at 7 am on Christmas morning.
I want Christmas Eve to feel like the most special day of our trip, and therefore this is not a budget day. So I have looked at many hotels, and have narrowed it down to
Hotel St. Gotthard,
Hotel Arlene Bein Hauptbahnhof,
Zurich Marriott and
Any input or suggestions about which to choose for one night would be appreciated.
3. I am wondering if all of the shops and restaurants on the shopping streets and old town will be closed since Christmas Eve is a day for families to be together at home?
4. What restaurant would have a very nice dinner on Christmas Eve?
With just one short day in Zurich, and trying to fit in a nice dinner and mass, and a little walking around town shopping, I am having a very hard time narrowing down where to stay and to have dinner on Christmas Eve.
Thank you for suggestions in advance!
|All reports are strictly confidential. Please explain why you are reporting this:|