VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Hilo Travel Answers

change location
Jesse_Dylan's Profile Photo

Where do the Japanese hang out in Hilo?

by Jesse_Dylan Online Now Oct 29, 2004 at 2:20 PM

I know that the Bayfront used to kind of be "Little Tokyo" until it got wiped out (twice!) by gigantic tsunamis. Now it's mostly just a park, right? Although there is a breakwater installed (would that really stop a tsunami of that size?). So... Where is Little Tokyo now? Or have the Japanese sufficiently been integrated into the population that a Little Tokyo does not exist? Is there any place at all where Japanese-speakers (perhaps elderly Japanese) hang out? Is there a specific bar, perhaps, where Japanese chill? Just wondering if anyone had noticed. I think it would be fun to check out, sing karaoke at, and eventually get to speaking real Japanese with, well, real Japanese! :P And if I screwed up, I could just pretend I'd had too much to drink. (One cup of sake is about all it takes and I'm loopy :p) Hopefully someone knows. :D I'm eager. Thanks for all the responses on my previous questions! Jesse

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: Where do the Japanese hang out in Hilo?

by joesorce Online Now Oct 30, 2004 at 9:46 PM

Here is a question for YOU! How did a kid from North Dakota get so interested in Japanese?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jesse_Dylan's Profile Photo

How I got interested in Japanese.

by Jesse_Dylan Online Now Nov 2, 2004 at 2:40 PM

There are so many ways I could answer this question. I could probably write a book on the topic. :) My personal belief is that God put a strange thirst for Japan in my soul. Other people, Lafcadio Hearn, for one, have also described the very essence of Japan calling out to them like a siren. However, I don't think my boat will crash, and I don't think I'll drown. I don't know what the purpose is. If I can turn it into a career, wonderful, and if God has some grand scheme for me, and if the Islands of Japan need me for something, that will be a wonderful bonus. Maybe it all started with the Ninja Turtles when I was five, or with Final Fantasy when I was 7. There's just no turning back now. :P

• Re: How I got interested in Japanese.

by joesorce Online Now Nov 3, 2004 at 10:59 AM

www.gohawaii.com/culture/Default.aspx Check this out if you haven't already

• Re: Where do the Japanese hang out in Hilo?

by dorisavram Online Now May 12, 2008 at 3:10 PM

I wish to know the same thing. I'm coming to visit in 3 days Big Island. If you found out, please let me know! Cheers !

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines