change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• kathymof's Profile Photo

First time in Helsinki - what area to stay in

by kathymof Online Now Nov 11, 2016 at 1:12 PM

Hi. I am planning a one week trip to Helsinki and would like your help in choosing an area to stay in. I plan to rent an apartment. I would like for it to be near good transportation and/or to be within walking distance of major tourist destinations/attractions such as museums, historical sites, interesting neighborhoods, architecture, that kind of thing. It appears there is lots to see and do so I am assuming I can keep busy for a week - is this correct?

more
    • kathymof's Profile Photo

First time in Helsinki - what area to stay in

by kathymof Online Now Nov 11, 2016 at 1:12 PM

Hi. I am planning a one week trip to Helsinki and would like your help in choosing an area to stay in. I plan to rent an apartment. I would like for it to be near good transportation and/or to be within walking distance of major tourist destinations/attractions such as museums, historical sites, interesting neighborhoods, architecture, that kind of thing. It appears there is lots to see and do so I am assuming I can keep busy for a week - is this correct?

2 Answers Nov 12, 2016 at 2:28 AM
    • JohanIsWeg's Profile Photo

Ferry reliability in December

by JohanIsWeg Online Now Aug 29, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Hi, would appreciate some advice on the reliability of ferry trips in the Baltic Sea during December. Plan on boarding a ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki for transfer to a St Peter Line later in the day for the overnight trip to Saint Petersburg. We will be vacationing in Russia.

From my research, I have discovered there are several lines between Tallinn and Helsinki, including Tallink Silja with a 2-hour sailing departing from Tallinn at 10.30am and arriving into Helsinki at 12.30pm.
      St Peter departs Helsinki at 6pm and arrives into Saint Petersburg at 9.30am the following morning.

My questions are:
      1. How reliable are the ferries in terms of their schedule (departure and arrival times)?
      2. How frequently does the weather impact on ferry schedules during late December?
      3. St Peter Line's website appears to suggest check-in and boarding is from 1-3.30pm despite the ship only leaving at 6pm. Is this correct? I would have liked to spend a bit of time sightseeing in Helsinki.
      4. Where would you go through passport control and what would the procedure be? Upon arrival in Saint Petersburg?
      5. Upon arrival in Saint Petersburg, how long does it take ferry passengers to actually get off the ship?

Appreciate your advice, comments and experience.
      Thanks!

1 Answer Aug 30, 2016 at 1:02 AM
    • Wayfarer83's Profile Photo

November things to do?

by Wayfarer83 Online Now Aug 27, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Hello. I will be stopping in Helsinki for a few days before heading to Lapland November 15th. I have tried searching many forums and sites but November seems to be left out. Are most of the attractions open? I understand the days will be shorter, colder, wet and grey? Any suggestions for things to do during this time?

3 Answers Aug 29, 2016 at 1:32 AM
    • vpas's Profile Photo

Ferry from Tallinn

by vpas Online Now Aug 25, 2016 at 4:48 AM

I plan to take a ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki in the 3rd or 4th week of October. Which line to take? Some stop inside city and some outside.
      I just hope to visit some places of sightseeing before going to Turku the next day.

5 Answers Aug 29, 2016 at 1:30 AM
    • vpas's Profile Photo

Off beat places to see

by vpas Online Now Aug 25, 2016 at 4:33 AM

Any special things to do in Helsinki in October?
      Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

4 Answers Aug 30, 2016 at 12:48 AM
    • vpas's Profile Photo

Off beat places to see

by vpas Online Now Aug 25, 2016 at 4:33 AM

Any special things to do in Helsinki in October?
      Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

1 Answer Aug 25, 2016 at 4:42 AM
    • vpas's Profile Photo

Place to stay and

by vpas Online Now Aug 25, 2016 at 4:31 AM

I need a clean and safe place to stay for two days in Helsinki in the third week of October. I am a solo female traveler. Please let me know if it is safe in Helsinki for an Asian woman to travel alone.
      Thank you for all your help

4 Answers Aug 29, 2016 at 12:58 AM
    • Varoon's Profile Photo

12 Hours in Helsinki

by Varoon Online Now Aug 22, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Hi
      Have around 10-12 hours in Helsinki on 14 sep, i`ve got a hostel in city centre.
      How can i reach city centre from airport, easiest way? What would you say the best things to do in few hours.

Big foodie and want to feel the vibe of the city rather than touristy things. :)
      Thank you

3 Answers Aug 23, 2016 at 3:08 AM
    • Transfer flight at Helsinki

by Helenb55 Online Now Aug 13, 2016 at 4:10 AM

If my JAL from Tokyo flight lands at 14:50 and my Finnair flight departs for Reykjavik at 15:35 will I make my connection???

3 Answers Aug 13, 2016 at 12:36 PM
    • Floorball shop

by Theri Online Now Aug 2, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Hi does anyone can recommend a floorball shop in the city centre of Helsinki?

3 Answers Aug 2, 2016 at 1:30 PM
    • cassteve's Profile Photo

Prices in Helsinki

by cassteve Online Now Jul 15, 2016 at 11:07 PM

I'm off to Helsinki on a weeks time and just want to know how big a wheelbarrow I will need to cart my wallet from pub to pub full of battered sterling! Can I get Jonh Smiths for less than £2 a pint like here in Yorkshire! Ok I'm prepared for a shock but would love an insight as to what to expect in what looks like an amazing city!

15 Answers Jul 18, 2016 at 7:38 AM
    • lanef's Profile Photo

Airport > Hotel

by lanef Online Now Jun 9, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Is that the best option:
      Take a Finnair airport bus to the Central Railway Station then taxis from the Central Railway Station to Hostel Domus Academica, Hietaniemenkatu 14, Eteläinen Suurpiiri, 00100 Helsinki, Finland. Comments welcomed. Thanks
      Will touch down, at 6h35, on the 5th of July.

4 Answers Jun 20, 2016 at 1:25 AM
    • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

day bus tickets

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now May 29, 2016 at 9:06 AM

Is the day bus ticket in Helsinki provide unlimited rides for 24 hours or only for the day on which it was purchased? It is currently about 8-9 euros a day. Thanks!

1 Answer May 29, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Tallink or Eckero Ferry to Helsinki

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 29, 2016 at 6:45 PM

What ferry company would you recommend from Tallinn to Helsinki? Eckero is quite a bit cheaper. Do they both arrive at the same harbor area in Helsinki or is one more convenient to the buses and trams? Thanks in advance

PS I realize that Viking also serves the two cities.

10 Answers May 29, 2016 at 2:15 PM
    • Recommendations for 14 Days Scandinavia Trip + Iceland

by 2318_TW Online Now Mar 17, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Hi, Anyone can help to suggest on what would be the best itineraries going to these countries departing from Singapore:- Iceland, Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen (maybe Norway) or may suggest any countries not to be missed. Planning to depart in December and travelling with kids (10 years old). This trip will be the first Europe trip for our family and not keen to go on Package tour as it is too rush thus planning to go free and easy. Flight from Singapore, will properly transit in London. Hope to get the travel itineraries in the most economical way here. Thanks much.

6 Answers Apr 6, 2016 at 2:26 AM
    • Archway's Profile Photo

Is it cheaper to book ferries in advance [Helsinki-Tallinn]?

by Archway Online Now Feb 29, 2016 at 4:33 AM

Hi, I will be in Helsinki for four days quite soon. I am thinking of taking a day trip to Tallinn on one of the days. Typically and usually it is cheaper to buy tickets in advance, but I don't know what the weather will be like during the time I will be in Helsinki. As a result, I would prefer not to buy a ticket in advance. That way I can get an idea of the weather when I am there.

So my questions are: 

1. Is it much cheaper if I buy in advance, or can I risk buying a ticket a day or two before departure? If it is significantly cheaper, I may have to risk bad weather, but I would really like to avoid rough/stormy seas/high winds.
      2. Should I also be concerned about avaiability, or is there a good change of getting a ticket a day or so in advance? 
      3. If I buy a ticket in advance, would it be possible to change it to another date if for some reason the weather is bad on the date I am due to travel?  I know it depends on the company, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with changing tickets/changing dates.

I have done my research and know which ferry companies operate the route between Helsinki and Tallinn and I have the timetables as well.  The one I am interested in is the Eckerö Line because it gives me the most time in Tallinn i.e. between 11:00 - 18:00 [seven hours].  Viking Line will only give me four hours.  The Tallink Silja Line wil also give me seven hours, but it depends on the time of departure on Helsinki.  Tallink Silja Line seems more expensive than Eckerö.

Many thanks

5 Answers Mar 20, 2016 at 6:56 AM
    • Cheap transport from Helsinki airport to Holiday Club Ronnas in Isnas

by savvycanadian Online Now Feb 21, 2016 at 5:13 PM

I am a Canadian. I read the airport taxis are pretty expensive in Helsinki. I want to go to Holiday Club Ronnas (Isnas) from Helsinki Airport, which is at a distance of about 78 km and taxi costs about 130 Euros. If I want to avoid taxis, what would be the best economical mode of transport to go there?

1 Answer Feb 21, 2016 at 10:06 PM
    • sylv2's Profile Photo

Ferries Stockholm to Helsinki.

by sylv2 Online Now Feb 6, 2016 at 8:35 PM

We are an active couple in our fifties so we like the shows and some dancing but wouldn't describe ourselves as 'party people'. We would like a niceish cabin without going over the top and a nice dinner setting with good food (obviously!) We have no objection to children but would probably like to dine in a more adult setting.

I have done so much research on the two ferries that do this overnight trip. I think I'm over doing it. In the end i like the Silja Symphony boat better with its promenade but I like the dinner option better on the Viking cruise! :/
      What I like about the dinner option on Viking is the Food Garden option with a window view. This looks a bit more up market with round tables and table cloths. Also I like the idea of buffet for starters and dessert and ala carte for mains. The fact drinks are not included is fine. We are not big drinkers so are happy to purchase a couple of wines.

The cabin selections on the Viking are more limited on the upper end. We don't want a suite but like a deluxe type room with sea view. On the Viking the options are the suite which is very expensive and next is the LXB Seaside Premium 12 square metres. Which would be ok.
      On the Silja the Deluxe seaside is 14sq and looks a bit more roomy and better appointed. There are limited photos.
      Don't even get me started on what dining time to choose! ha ha Some say early and be on deck for sunset and that best island views are 3 hours into cruise. I thought exiting the harbour would be good to see too. A 5 o'clock seating for dinner is as soon as you arrive and seems too rushed for us.
      I am presuming you can't request a room mid ship (in case of bad weather as I'm not a great sailor) or any room for that matter. Seems like that is pot luck. Unlike cruise ships where they charge more for same cabins midship and on preferred quiet floors.
      So any help/advice/opinion is very much welcomed.
      Sylv

• sylv2's Profile Photo

A few hours in Helsinki

by sylv2 Online Now Feb 5, 2016 at 10:44 PM

We will be arriving in Helsinki at the Tallink Ferry terminal on Sunday 28th September. We will be departing by train to St Petersburg at 3pm. I have researched and we can get to the central train station quite easily by tram 2 or by taxi. We will have our medium sized luggage. We would like to use the 4 hours or so that we have to at least see a little of Helsinki. I have researched tours and really only come up with Hop on Hop off bus which doesn't really suit our needs with our time constraints.
      Any suggestions on how we can see a bit of Helsinki? I need insider help !
      Thanks Sylv

11 Answers Apr 6, 2016 at 2:39 AM

Helesinki-Stockholm Ferry

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Aug 31, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Which ferry company and time of the day would you recommend for two folks without a car traveling in spring?

A second option would be going from Turku to Stockholm but while the trip is shorter I hear the ferries are smaller.

9 Answers Dec 13, 2015 at 7:18 AM
    • almalki's Profile Photo

Finland in 6 days

by almalki Online Now Aug 30, 2015 at 9:29 PM

I am arriving to Helsinki in Mid September for 6 days with wife and Two daughters. any suggestions on accommodation ( I prefer furnished apartments).

4 Answers Sep 15, 2015 at 2:04 AM
    • Weather in Helsinki during August- November

by rohchand Online Now Jul 23, 2015 at 12:29 AM

How is weather there in Helsinki during Aug- November? I would be traveling with my baby of 7 months old. Do I need to carry heavy winter clothes for me as well as my baby?

3 Answers Jul 23, 2015 at 10:33 AM
    • Indian restaurants and stores

by rohchand Online Now Jul 22, 2015 at 4:52 AM

Do we have restaurants in Helsinki having Indian food in their menu. Where in Helsinki can I find store selling indian food related items?

4 Answers Sep 22, 2015 at 1:12 AM
    • Accomodation in Helsinki

by rohchand Online Now Jul 22, 2015 at 4:42 AM

How is Iso Roobertinkatu to stay in Helsinki? Is there any kids play ground around that location?

2 Answers Jul 22, 2015 at 10:59 PM
    • Where do you buy tickets for the sparakoff pub tram

by benstravels Online Now Jun 19, 2015 at 6:51 AM

Hi, can anyone tell me where you buy tickets for the Pub Tram in Helsinki?

I know where to get the pub tram, at railway square at the mikonkatu tram stop, but don't know where I buy the tickets. do I just pay on the tram?

thanks sharon

2 Answers Jun 19, 2015 at 9:43 AM
    • abbasathar's Profile Photo

Tourist sites near Airport

by abbasathar Online Now May 29, 2015 at 5:02 AM

Returning from our Europe tour in mid June'15 we have a five hour lay over at Helsinki airport (Between 3pm to 8pm). We are a family of three adults and need advice on a possible three hours sightseeing trip to nearby locations. We are fond of Museums, natural beauty and street views, food etc.Please also suggest arrangement of transport or prior booking from Airport if required.
      Regards,

4 Answers May 31, 2015 at 10:25 PM
    • Public transport for three weeks

by jabrits Online Now May 10, 2015 at 4:37 AM

What travel card or cards are best if I stay for three weeks and need to use Public transport every day?

• heidstar's Profile Photo

Day trip out of Helsinki

by heidstar Online Now May 2, 2015 at 3:51 AM

I have 5 days in Helsinki, already would have travelled through Norway,Copenhagen,Sweden , Estonia and the end of my 7 week trip is Helsinki...what to do for 1 day outside of Helsinki...Espoo a nice choice?

11 Answers May 7, 2015 at 4:10 AM
    • sandeepgarg's Profile Photo

Hesinki for a day

by sandeepgarg Online Now Apr 29, 2015 at 9:49 PM

We are 9 of a family, including 1 Sr. Citizen 74 years, and 4 children (11, 12, 14, 18 year old).
      Arrive in Helsinki Station by the Allegro train from St Petersburg, on 27th May Morning about 10.30 am. We have tho leave by the 13.30 flight to Rovaniemi. We leave some luggage as te Hotel Holiday Inn City Center, as we return there the next day.

How do we all go to the airport from the train station? will a van be better or take Metro / train??

We return at about 4 pm on 28th May to Helsinki. We are there for the night. Then we have the cruise to Stockholm departing at 5 pm the next day (28th).

What all can we do and see? How do we go about it?

Can we hire minibus / van with English speaking Driver / Guide? From where?

Tram ride??

I know that these are a lot of questions, but please do help.

Thanks in advance.

2 Answers May 4, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    • Outbound tours from Helsinki

by Sandy88 Online Now Apr 14, 2015 at 12:55 AM

Hi

I have 10days in Helsinki and like to do a outbound tour to the Baltic states or Russia

Pl advise any local agents doing that

Thks