change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• ozpaul's Profile Photo

Swimming with Ice

Reykjavík Aug 27, 2016 at 10:21 PM

Can someone tell me if there is a beach close to Reykjavik where you can swim with ice. We don't have enough time to travel to Jokulsarlon. I am a keen winter swimmer and would like to experience this aspect of Iceland. I have read about nauthólsvík beach - is there ice there in Winter?

more
    • Ice Caves and Ice Climbing

Iceland Aug 29, 2016 at 8:38 PM

1) Where is the best area to see the bright blue ice caves in Iceland in mid to late December? How long would it take to drive from Reykjavik to that area this time of year one way???
      2) Do you have to hire a guide/do a tour to see them?
      3) Is there anywhere close to this area to do a day ice climbing trip as well?
      4) Any other tips?

Thanks,
      Rachel

more
    • Hiking around Katla

Iceland Aug 31, 2016 at 4:39 AM

We are traveling to Iceland around the end of september, and we planned on hiking for a week. Our route is close to the Katla vulcan. Does anyone know if the route around the vulcan is still accessible because of the chances of an eruption?
      Thanks!

more
    • Do we need snow tires from 9/17 to 10/8?

Iceland Sep 9, 2016 at 7:09 AM

We're driving around Iceland from 9/17 to 10/8 this year by our car.
      Do we need snow tires that time?

more
    • csuresh's Profile Photo

6 days trip - comment on itinerary

Iceland Sep 20, 2016 at 4:52 AM

Uses rental car - last week of October '16:
      Day 1 - Land in Iceland and night stay
      Day 2 - Keflavik to Seljalandsfoss Waterfalls, Reynisfjara and stay at Kirkjubæjarklaustur lodge
      Day 3 - Kirkjubæjarklaustur to Jokulsarlon, Staftafell, hike to Skaftafellsjökull glacier and stay at Kirkjubæjarklaustur lodge
      Day 4 - Kirkjubæjarklaustur to Skógafoss, Gulfoss waterfall, Strokkur Geysir and stay at Selfoss lodge
      Day 5 - To Þingvellir National Park, Reykjavik and stay at Keflavik
      Day 6 - Leave Iceland

Questions: 1) Weather is the one everyone scares us. Can the above itinerary achievable and what are the risks?
      2) Food costs and availability of vegetarian also is one we are afraid of and trying to do some good planning - any advise
      3) Petrol and Diesel availability - considering the above itinerary maximum travel we will do will be around 350 km in a day - hoping we are not going to hit an issue - any precautions?
      4) We want to see Northern lights - read somewhere it comes only after 10pm till early morning - will it come earlier?
      5) I am travelling with my wife and 2 children (aged 11 and 7) - is the trip looking too aggressive to cover?

Thanks!

more
    • kaloz's Profile Photo

Must see and could miss pools

Reykjavík Aug 29, 2016 at 9:40 PM

I am coming to Iceland (4th time) for Jólaþorpið í Hafnarfirði. I would like to visit all of the public pools (17) in the capitol area. I have already been to Vesturbæjarlaug and Laugardalslaug. If my idea does not work out which pools can I miss? and which pools must I visit? Klébergslaug, Varmárlaug, Lágafellslaug, Grafarvogslaug, Árbæjarlaug, Breiðholtslaug, Salalaug, Ásvallalaug, Suðurbæjarlaug, Sundhöll Hafnarfjarðar, Ásgarðslaug Garðabæ, Sundlaug Kópavogs, Álftaneslaug, Seltjarnarneslaug, and Sundhöll Reykjavíkur. By visiting the pools I will see different areas and see more residents than tourists.

Since I will be visiting Hafnarfirðar, those pools and the ones on the #1 bus line are almost certain.

Thank you

more
    • Solo trip, late September to early October

Iceland Sep 17, 2016 at 11:40 PM

Hi guys! I'm planning to make a solo trip to Iceland mainly for landscape photography and sightseeing & I was just wondering if it was a good idea to do so. I'm thinking of renting a camper van to sleep in, and visiting grocery stores for my meals. I'm also curious on how would I best handle my toilet/shower needs? Any help & additional information would be greatly appreciated! :)

more
    • European Health Insurance Card

Iceland Sep 21, 2016 at 5:56 AM

I have heard that, though medical assistance is covered in Iceland through European Health Insurance Card, you will be charged a fixed amount with each service. Does anyone know how much is that fixed amount? Thanks for the answers.

more

Near Hella