Hawaii (Big Island)

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Lodging near Volcano, HI

Hawaii (Big Island) Nov 10, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Good places to stay for two nights at about $100.00?

Thanks

11 Answers Nov 12, 2016 at 1:02 PM
    • Local eateries

Kailua-Kona Nov 8, 2016 at 4:10 PM

Where do locals like to eat in this area

4 Answers Nov 9, 2016 at 1:38 PM
    • Anniversary dinner location?

Hawaii (Big Island) Nov 5, 2016 at 8:25 PM

When we visit the Big Island, Hawaii, this spring, our daughter and her husband will celebrate their 20th anniversary. Where should they have their celebration dinner that night?

6 Answers Nov 9, 2016 at 8:59 PM
    • Big Island Mauna Kea Beach

Hawaii (Big Island) Nov 4, 2016 at 10:28 AM

How do you access the beach at Mauna Kea if you aren't staying at the hotel?

1 Answer Nov 5, 2016 at 1:00 PM
    • Helicopter fares

Kailua-Kona Sep 5, 2016 at 1:06 PM

A group of us are staying in Kona from October. 16- 26. We are looking to do helicopter tour and looking for best bang for buck. Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,Buzzyboy

3 Answers Sep 6, 2016 at 1:19 PM
    • Travel Agency for Hawaii

Hawaii (Big Island) Aug 4, 2016 at 7:09 PM

Is Tropicaltravel.net reliable in terms of customer service?

2 Answers Aug 5, 2016 at 1:59 PM
    • Possible to do your own self-tour manta ray night snorkle?

Hawaii (Big Island) May 17, 2016 at 1:15 PM

are there any places to do a manta ray snorkel without involving a tour company?
      If so, what does one bring to such event? Underwater flashlight? Is a camera with flash ok?
      I'm an experienced day time snorkeler but have no clue what to bring to this party and expect so your advice and tiips would be appreciated.

1 Answer May 22, 2016 at 8:20 AM
    • massot's Profile Photo

Hawaii, one week

Hawaii, Island of Jan 21, 2016 at 2:26 AM

My wife and me want to spend a week in Hawaii during the second half of february. We like to move around, but not to walk long time (we are around 70 y.o.) or to sunbath in a beach.
      Please, which are the more interesting places to visit during a week?. Which is the best way to go around? Do you advice some local address to organize this trip?
      Thanks a lot for your advice!!!
      Dr. Romà Massot, Barcelona

13 Answers Feb 5, 2016 at 10:20 AM
    • Real things to experience in kailua kona

Kailua-Kona Jan 2, 2016 at 12:33 PM

This will be our first trip to the Big Island. We do not enjoy typical tourist things, prefer to shop at farmer's and fish markets where the locals go. Prefer outdoor activities like botanical gardens and natural attractions, serious historical places of all kinds, and learning the real local cuisine and cooking. Suggestions?

3 Answers Jan 22, 2016 at 6:28 AM
    • best time of year to visit

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Sep 25, 2015 at 3:12 PM

what are the best months of the year to visit Hawaii?

6 Answers Sep 27, 2015 at 2:49 PM
    • chattygirl7491's Profile Photo

Looks different??? Lava fields broken up and not many white Rock designs besides the road???

Hawaii (Big Island) Aug 11, 2015 at 12:30 AM

When we were at the Big Island

years ago... the terrain was very

different. A lot more lava fields
      All around. When we went this year
      The lava was broke up and scrub plants
      Growing there. When it was solid lava

it was prettier and people used white

Rocks to write messages or make designs.
      I was looking forward to seeing this
      And was wondering if this breaking up the

lava and plants happened naturally

Or if it's sometime they did to accelerate
      The ground being usable???

2 Answers Aug 11, 2015 at 8:47 AM

Where to eat

Hawaii (Big Island) Jun 8, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Ok looking for some places with great food. .. I don't like ground meat ... no hamburger ..ground turkey. Sausage ect. My husband doesn't like sushi .

2 Answers Jun 12, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Snorkeling off shore

Hawaii, Island of Jun 7, 2015 at 9:12 PM

any suggestions?? and tips on where to park the car and enter the water???? plus is it a safe place to park the car .. any charge for parking or admission charges???

2 Answers Feb 1, 2016 at 6:17 PM
    • LisaLynn0801's Profile Photo

Zip Lining

Hawaii (Big Island) Feb 13, 2015 at 6:13 AM

Have been looking at three different zip line tours: Umauma near Hilo and Kohala and Akaka near Kona. Looking for anyone who has experience at any or all of these whwo could provide a recommendation. Trying to select the one that is the most exciting and scenic.

3 Answers Feb 16, 2015 at 6:09 PM
    • Lava flowing in to the ocean.

Kailua-Kona Feb 10, 2015 at 11:25 AM

I understand there is one boat company approved to take you as near as possible to view lava flowing into ocean. What is the name of the company and information on the cost of the tour?

1 Answer Feb 10, 2015 at 11:57 AM
    • Romantic dinner spot

Kailua-Kona Jan 10, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Hi we are traveling to Kailua kona area in a few weeks and wanted a recommendation for a romantic restaurant on the beach. Thanks

3 Answers Jan 11, 2015 at 9:31 AM
    • Remote2013's Profile Photo

Whale Watching on/from Big Island

Hawaii, Island of Oct 29, 2014 at 7:08 PM

We will be staying in a resort near Waikoloa Village during the March 20 - April 5th, 2015 time frame. According to literature, this is near the end of the whale siting season. Would you think we should forgo any whale excursions and concentrate on other activities? I am concerned that it may not be a good investment at that time of year. THanks

3 Answers Oct 30, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    • 3 days in Big Island

Hawaii (Big Island) Sep 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM

We (I and my wife) are visiting Hawaii in November. We are visiting Oahu and Maui before going to Big Island. We will be in Big Island for almost 3.5 days. We will reach Big Island on Thursday evening around 4:45pm at Kona Aiport, and will be leaving from Hilo Aiport on Sunday around 8:30 PM. This is our first trip to Big Island. We know it is very short duration, to cover the entire island but we wish to cover as much as possible.

We have found the following things which can be visited, although we may not be able to cover everything. We would like to know what will be the best itinerary we can have for these 3 days/3 nights.

Places near Kona

1. Kailua-Kona (Historic Kailua Village)

2. Keauhou Bay

3. Hulihee Palace

4. Puunhonua o Honaunau National Historic Park

5. Kohala Coast

Things to do on the way from Kona to Hilo

1. Puukohola Neiau National Historic site

2. Waimea

3. Pololu Valley Lookout

Places near Hilo:

1. Volcano National Park

2. Akaka Falls State Park

3. Hamakua Heritage Corridor

4. Hilo downtown

Our plan is to do the things near Kona on Thursday evening and Friday entire day. We will stay in Kona on Thursday and Friday. Then on Saturday leave Kona to go to Hilo and do the things on the way and stay at night in Hilo/ near Volcano. Sunday visit the volcano and places near Hilo and leave on Sunday evening from Hilo Airport.

We might not be able to cover all the places mentioned above. Also, not sure if there are any other places which should be visited, if so we might skip some of the places we mentioned and go to those. We are from California, so we don't really care about spending too much time on beach.

We would like to know if what we are planning can be done, and also what are good places to stay in each area, and whether we should stay in Hilo or near Volcano.

We have also read about various tours, should we take tours or just rent a car and go around the places we want to go?

3 Answers Oct 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    • Bus service on the Big Island.

Kailua-Kona Aug 19, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Is there a bus service on the Big Island. If so how does on find out routes,rates and frequency of service?

4 Answers Dec 13, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    • Bus from park to Kona airport?

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Aug 12, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Is there any type of shuttle service or bus that goes from the Volcano House Hotel or the park to the airport in Kona? If so, how do I find out it's schedule?

3 Answers Nov 21, 2014 at 5:34 PM
    • zip linning

Hilo Aug 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Where is the best place to go?

3 Answers Aug 4, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    • Honeymoon in Hawaii

Hawaii (Big Island) Jun 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Planning a honeymoon in Hawaii in December. Any recommendations? Which islands are best? Best restaurants? Best hotels? Best beaches? Things to do?

7 Answers Dec 17, 2014 at 12:32 AM
    • Saar123's Profile Photo

Which part of Kona best to stay?

Kailua-Kona May 18, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Hi,
      I plan 3 days in the Kona area (before flying back to europe).
      Which part of the Kona area are best to stay, knowing that I am a solo traveller, do not like resorts and malls, but would like to experience a cosy atmosphere with small reataurants and bars?
      Thanks for your advice!

7 Answers May 24, 2014 at 5:47 AM
    • Restaurants on Big Island

Hawaii (Big Island) May 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Is there a restaurant on the Big island similar to Mama's fish house (on Maui)? I'm looking for good ambience & food. Kona side preferred.

2 Answers May 20, 2014 at 8:06 AM
    • Volcano House

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Apr 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Is VolcanoHouse still a good place to stay? Anyone stayed there and had thoughts as to whether the added cost is worthwile? Thanks for the help.

5 Answers Jun 20, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    • kc4ness's Profile Photo

Driving around the Big Island, Hawaii.

Hawaii (Big Island) Apr 21, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I am going to either Hilo or Kona next month for a week to eight days and will be renting a car while there. The purpose of my trip is to take in all that I can and also since I am considering moving there I will also looking at apartments.
      How is the island for getting around in a series of day trips using either Hilo or Kona as the base?

5 Answers Apr 21, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    • kc4ness's Profile Photo

Place to live?

Hilo Apr 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I am visiting here in May to explore the possibility of living there permanently for a few years. I know there is more rain on this side of the island and it is windier also danger of tsunamis. From my research I believe that the rain is mainly in the late night hours and early morning. Is this mostly true? I know apartment rentals are also less pricey than the western side. I would appreciate any and all input, thoughts and ideas. I will also be checking out the western side.
      Thank you,
      Ken

2 Answers Apr 13, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    • Kona/Hilo, Hawaii

Hilo Apr 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I'm wondering if I"m able to fit all of this in, in one day. I'll be staying in Kona but would like to drive the Hamakua Coast, 4 mile scenic route and see Akaka Falls. I also would like to see Hiilawe Falls and Waipi'o Valley. Last stop would be Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the Black Sand Beach. I know it's 2 hr drive from Kona to Hilo. Any information would be great.

6 Answers Apr 12, 2014 at 2:39 AM
    • Saar123's Profile Photo

Budget place to stay in Hilo

Hilo Feb 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Hi,

I (37 years old, single traveler) will be traveling to Hilo in May. I am looking for a nice budget (no hostel) place to stay.
      Can anyone recommend me?

Thanks!!

4 Answers Apr 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM
    • Quilt shops on Hawaii Island

Kealakekua Dec 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Where may I buy Hawaiian fabric to make a quilt (on the Big Island)?