Travel Answers

change location
  • Rental Car Insurance

Guatemala Aug 26, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Apologies - I think this subject has come up a bit before but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I am hoping to drive a rental car from Cancun through Guatemala, crossing from Belize at San Ignacio. The car insurance is not valid in Guatemala but I definitely want to have protection - does anyone know of any specific places I could buy rental car insurance for 5 days near the Guatemala/Belize border? (Or anywhere at all if not near the border!) Many thanks - any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 Answers Aug 26, 2016 at 9:23 PM
  • Airport luggage lockers

Guatemala City Aug 26, 2016 at 11:35 AM

Are there safe luggage storage lockers at the airport?

1 Answer Aug 26, 2016 at 4:16 PM
  • Travel convoy to Guatemala City from USA

Guatemala Aug 20, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Hi all,

I am a Canadian moving to Guatemala City and I am looking to join a group driving through Mexico to Guatemala City sometime in late September or early October 2016. I figure safety in numbers eh. :)

Thanks a bunch,

3 Answers Aug 20, 2016 at 12:26 PM
  • Temperature

Antigua Guatemala Aug 1, 2016 at 8:41 AM

Hi all, i am traveling to Antigua, Guatemala, Lake Atitlan (Panajachel) and semuc Champey next week, August 9th. Just needed to know what is the highest temperature it reaches and the lowest in the evening? Not sure what to pack as weather is so unpredictable...

1 Answer Aug 3, 2016 at 5:31 PM
  • streetlouann's Profile Photo

Santiago Atitlán Jun 2, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Need to find “Jose” - who was a victim in the 1990 massacre in Santiago Atitlan. I met him in 2000 - he was socializing in his wheelchair on the cement pathway outside of the home where I was experiencing a 4-day home stay in Santiago Atitlan. I was from Oklahoma and he had spent a year in a hospital there in 1990. He was about 30 years then, so now is around 45 yrs. I plan to spend one day in Santiago Atitlan on June 18th, 2016. I want to reconnect with Jose and with the family - both lived in the area to the right when you go up the hill from the boat dock. The family were weavers and had a very large loom in their living room and at least one young child. ANY HELP IN LOCATING THEM WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. PS I also would appreciate any info on an inexpensive place to stay the night where we can connect with some locals. Perhaps the Santiagita Hostel? I need an email or phone number to make a reservation. I am bringing my 16 yr old granddaughter, who speaks Spanish. We will be going to Habitat for Humanity in San Lucas Toliman for two weeks after this. We will need transportation from Guat. Airport early in morning on June 18th to Santiago Atitlan. Would it be best(quicker,safer) to go by car/bus direct to Santiago A. or to Panachel by car/bus and then by boat to Santiago A.? Then from Santiago A. to the Toliman Hotel in San Lucas Toliman either later that day or the next morning. any suggestions?

2 Answers Jun 2, 2016 at 12:02 PM
  • Travel from Guate city to Xela

Guatemala City May 22, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Hey Guys! I'll be arriving in Guate City June 3 around noon. Anyone have tips for arranging travel from the airport to xela? Any additional advice concerning hotels and activities in Xela would be helpful.

• safety in antigua

Guatemala City Feb 5, 2016 at 3:01 AM

Hi guys, I've just booked my flights and my accommodation in Antigua for the whole summer. I never thought about crime over there because I've heard bad stuff about Colombia as well, which I know for a fact are not true (to an extend). I wanted to know how safe Antigua is? If tourists (gringos) are the main concern I should be fine as I'm half latina myself and I might be considered a local?idk but please let me know about the safety over there,if there's any way I can be less exposed to being robbed/raped/killed or anything? And I've read bad stuff about transportation over there and I'll need to use the bus literally every day so I'd appreciate it if you could help me with that as well

7 Answers Feb 5, 2016 at 6:46 AM
  • Lake atitlan or Antigua

Guatemala Jan 25, 2016 at 11:13 PM

My husband and I plan to spend a couple months in Guatemala with our small dog and are wondering which area will best suit us. We are mid 30's and my husband teaches yoga and meditation. I am a designer and would like to work with local artisans to make my designs. We live in Downtown Los Angeles, but also love to be in nature. We are total wimps when it comes to weather, so if the climate is different in these two areas that would be something for us to consider. Our housing budget is around $1000 per month for rent alone. I would love suggestions on where you think we should consider and why.

6 Answers Jan 29, 2016 at 9:00 AM
  • Inisabella's Profile Photo

San Antonio Aguas Calientes Jan 22, 2016 at 7:22 PM

HI would like to know if there isnatural hot springs in Aguascalientes, how far it itakes from Antigua and where to stay

• ChrisL93's Profile Photo

19 year old son traveling to Guatemala for language classes

Guatemala City Jan 22, 2016 at 2:43 PM

So, My 19 year old is heading off to Guatemala to travel - Antigua, Atitlan, Coban, Flores, Monterrico... 2 weeks at a time in each place for language schools. Any advice before he leaves next week?

7 Answers Feb 6, 2016 at 3:16 AM
  • Time Coban to La Tecnica

Cobán Dec 27, 2015 at 12:24 PM

How long does it take from Coban to La Tecnica by colectivo microbus? I assume you transfer at Sayaxche then again at El Subin.

• bpolt's Profile Photo

length of stay?

Antigua Guatemala Dec 20, 2015 at 8:01 AM

How long do you recommend staying in Antigua?
    We shall spend 4 nights in Tikal and have 9 days in the country of Guatemala after that .
    Any recommendations?

29 Answers Dec 24, 2015 at 10:47 PM
  • Pedetrian Life Style in Antigua??

Antigua Guatemala Nov 9, 2015 at 4:23 PM

Is Antigua amenable to a pedestrian lifestyle, similar to Granada, Nicaragua? What is the cost for a taxi ride in Antigua?

• laporte73's Profile Photo

First Trip to Guatemala

Guatemala Oct 28, 2015 at 7:07 PM

We are taking our first tour to Guatemala this November and will arrive in Guatemala City. We will be staying in Guatemala City for three nights over a 10 day stay in Guatemala. We have a question concerning exchanging US dollars for Guatemala’s currency. Are the ATM’s safe to use at the airport or banks? We are staying at Barcelo Guatemala City Hotel. What should a meal approximately cost? Also, is there any good restaurants near this hotel? Many thanks to everyone that responds.

3 Answers Oct 29, 2015 at 7:35 AM
  • Need private driver

Chichicastenango Sep 21, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Does anyone have the number of a taxi driver I could hire to take me to Chichicastenango from Antigua? I'm sick of taking the shuttle and the prices the tour companies quote are too expensive. Muchisimas gracias.

• schmechi's Profile Photo

Shuttle questions

Tikal Jul 28, 2015 at 12:52 PM

I'll arrive early in the morning at Flores airport and will stay in Flores. Nevertheless I'd like to start exploring Tikal immediately. Will hired shuttles to Tikal make a stop at Flores to store the luggage? Or is there any other way (fi a baggage room in Tikal)? Which shuttles you'd recommend?

Additionally which shuttle you'd recommend from Flores to Palenque?

• schmechi's Profile Photo

Detour from San Cristobal de las Casas to Guatemala recommandable?

Antigua Guatemala Jul 8, 2015 at 2:40 AM

I'll spend my next vacation in Yucatan and Chiapas and I am wondering, wether Antigua and Lake Atitlán is worth a detour from San Cristobal de las Casas. Unfortunately I've not too much time, so some Mexican sights would have to be cancelled. Additionally the bus ride will be long (9 hrs+) and exhausting... Should I visit the sights mentioned above nevertheless?

• Backpacking during the rainy season (3 - 4 weeks in August)

Guatemala May 31, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Hey all

I am hoping to go to Guatemala for 3 - 4 weeks in August, which I realize lands right in the middle of rainy season. I was wondering if I should be concerned about going to guatemala during this time? Given the circumstances with work and school, this is the only month I can really go, as I will finishing work in July and beginning school in September. I really want to take a trip like this, but my locations and time frames are limited. From what I've gathered, the weather will still be nice, but when it DOES rain, it will dump, and it will rain a decent amount; but I have also heard that this makes the area look very green!

As I this is my first backpacking trip, and I will be doing it solo, I'm hoping to stick to hostel tours and expeditions for the first while. Will there still be a large back packing community there during this time?

Just an idea on where I was hoping to go: Antigua, Florence, Tikal, Semuc Champey, Lake Atitlan, and essentially any other place that pops up along the way. I was also thinking of spending a week in Utila, but that is a secondary goal.

Any advice on this or the region in general is appreciated!

1 Answer Jun 1, 2015 at 3:42 PM
  • Travel time

Guatemala City Apr 3, 2015 at 8:13 AM

What is travel time from Guatemala city to Cancum by bus?

Also wondering what is the best way of getting to El Portal hostal in Lanquin from Guatemala city?

• Cost of a case of agua pura in Guatemala

Guatemala Mar 2, 2015 at 1:47 PM

What is the cost of a case of agua pura in Guatemala?

• KudraMariposa's Profile Photo

how's the internet there?

El Remate Feb 23, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Am thinking of visiting there for a time, but since I freelance, wonder if I'll have difficulty with finding a place with WiFi...

• Arriving at night and driving to Antigua

Antigua Guatemala Feb 22, 2015 at 5:04 PM

My wife and I are arriving at 8:30 so it'll be dark. Is it safe to travel to Antigua using a private driver hired by the hotel? I hear you should avoid traveling at night.

3 Answers Feb 23, 2015 at 4:21 PM
  • rythme de vie

Sayaxché Feb 22, 2015 at 2:26 AM

je préprare mon voyage au guatemala et je trouve souvent des bus très tôt le matin et pas très tard le soir.
    quel est le rythme de vie au guatemala ? ils se lèvent tôt et se couchent tot. et les horaires des repas ? ce n'est pas le rythme espagnol ?

• Sleeping in San Vincente

San Vicente Pacaya Feb 10, 2015 at 6:30 AM

Is there some cheap cheap places to sleep in San Vincente Pacaya ? And is it possible to climb the volcano without taking a guide from Antigua ? Can we go to climb the volcano just by ourself ?

• NancyN51's Profile Photo

where to buy green (unroasted) coffee beans

Antigua Guatemala Jan 12, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Is there somewhere in or near Antigua where we can buy green coffee beans to roast ourselves back at home? We prefer to buy at a beneficio rather than a tourist store.

Muchas gracias!

1 Answer Jan 14, 2015 at 10:28 PM
  • NancyN51's Profile Photo

Elizabeth Bell Walking Tours

Antigua Guatemala Jan 12, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Does Elizabeth Bell still personally lead walking tours of Antigua? Whom do you recommend we contact to find out if she will be there Jan 30/31/Feb1st? If she is not personally available are there other guides you would recommend who focus on history?

Muchas gracias!

5 Answers Jan 15, 2015 at 10:48 AM
  • laporte73's Profile Photo

Guatemala Tour

Guatemala Jan 7, 2015 at 9:48 AM

We have been thinking of taking a tour to Guatemala & Honduras area. However, the Chikungunya virus is becoming epidemic in these countries and we are in our later years. To help determine our risk of contracting the virus, could you tell us if anyone has contracted or been a group that someone has contracted the virus? Also, we would be in Guatemala City, Tikal, Panajachel and Copan Honduras. Would these areas be fairly safe from mosquitos and potential illness (using insect repellant and proper clothing)?

1 Answer Jan 7, 2015 at 11:25 AM
  • MissParamin's Profile Photo

Day Tour from Guatemala City

Guatemala City Dec 18, 2014 at 4:31 AM

Hi all,

Another question!

We are thinking about a day trip from guatemala city. I am very interested in seeing Antigua, Lake Atitlan and the Pacayo Volcano...

Is it possible to do see all of these in one day?

Has anyone doen this before? what were your experiences please?

3 Answers Dec 19, 2014 at 4:41 AM
  • Is San Juan Guatémala safe sor tourist ?

San Juan Cotzal Dec 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Is San Juan guatémala safe for tourist?

1 Answer Dec 11, 2014 at 10:49 PM
  • tjsomerset's Profile Photo

how safe is it ?

Antigua Guatemala Nov 9, 2014 at 7:08 AM

and what do you do to avoid trouble, other than the usual precautions....areas to avoid ? travel by bus to seaside ? nightlife ?
    what about money and banks ?
    thank you for any tips....(traveled to Panama last year....was fine, except for a few isolated stories....our only experience of Central America, other than Cancun)

3 Answers Nov 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM