change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• London Reconstructing of Big Ben

London Nov 27, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Hi all,
      I will be heading to London for the first time in Feb 2017.
      News had mention that the reconstructing of Big Ben will start in early 2017. The last news available was in April 2017 about the works. I have also read the FAQ at the parliament website but they do not really have an indicative date.
      Read that scaffolding will take 4-6 months to build. Not sure if the view in Feb will be much effected. Saw google images of the tower with scaffolding and it's not a very pretty sight. :(
      Anyone knows of any news of the work schedule or any comments much appreciated.

more
    • taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

London Gatwick changes

London Nov 25, 2016 at 10:24 AM

I have posted this on the TRAVEL ALERTS section here on VT but don't know if there is any other place to post.

From the 25th January 2017
      These changes take place at London Gatwick
      British Airways will operate from South Terminal
      Easyjet and Virgin will operate from the North Terminal.

Found this when I tried to book parking at Gatwick's aiport and this warning came up.

Feel free to move to any appropriate section

more
    • TERMINAL TRANSFER

Heathrow Nov 24, 2016 at 2:05 AM

I am travelling from Delhi to Terminal2 I have to get my complete luggage and then go to Terminal 3 for check IS this possible or I have to get visa

more
    • Scotlandsdave's Profile Photo

New Years Eve

London Dec 6, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Hi there, I am travelling to London over the new year with my Girlfriend. We've left it a bit last minute but we're wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on how to spend NYE. Whether that be a dinner and dance, street party, and kind of event really to make it a memorable new year? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

more
    • Best area to stay

London Nov 17, 2016 at 4:36 AM

Which area is the best location and most convenient to stay? Traveling with my husband and 8 year old! Want to be somewhat close to all the sightseeing! TIA!

more
    • Is this a good place to celebrate birthday in London?

London Dec 5, 2016 at 4:23 AM

Hi all,
      I'm new here and I hope you can help me with advice:
      Being studying various restaurant comparing sites (Tripadvisor, Michelin, Alltheviews...), I decided to try out Ye Olde Mitre Yelp and Tripadvisor estimate it pretty high (as I can judge from alltheviews.com/Ye-Olde-Mitr...), but I want a real person opinionб who has been there recently. I forgot to mention the reason - why I'm choosing a place to go out: we want to celebrate my father's bithday and he likes bars a lot. So, we need one with a good atmosphere.

So, is Ye Olde Mitre a good place to go to for a celebration?

more
    • Oyster or contactless

London Nov 20, 2016 at 10:39 AM

is there any advantage to buying the oyster cards or is using concatless cards just the same.

more
    • Best area to stay

Which area is the best location and most convenient to stay? Traveling with my husband and 8 year old! Want to be somewhat close to all the sightseeing! TIA!

more
    • brentdong's Profile Photo

Airside transit or visitor in transit visa or no visa requirement in heathrow airport?

Heathrow Dec 7, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Hi everybody, I am Brent, from Vietnam. Now Im living in Hungary and then I have resident permit of an EEA members (as Hungarian resident permit).
      In Jan 2017, my friend (Hungarian) and I (vietnamese, have an EEA resident permit) is going to travel to Vietnam by British Airways, in which we will transit in Heathrow Airport for about 5 hours. We are arriving to heathrow in terminal 3 and then departing in terminal 4. So please help us, in this case, do we need to apply for the airside transit visa or visiting in transit visa?

1. We have 2 ways ticket (go to vietnam and back to hungary)
      2. We are a Hungarian and Vietnamese (Have hungarian resident permit) and ofc valid passport and vietnamese visa.
      3. British airways has confirmed that our checked bags will be sent directly to the last destination.
      4. We have to change terminal in the Heathrow airport.

Thanks very much and best regard !!

more
    • Best transportation to Stonehenge and Glastonbury Tor

London Dec 5, 2016 at 9:14 AM

I will be visiting London for 3 days in March. I would like to take a day to visit Stonehenge and Glastonbury Tor (both in the same day).

I saw there was a tour offered that included them both, but they are only on Fridays, and unfortunately I will not be there at that time.

What is the best way to travel from London to these two sites? Rail? Bus? Some other way?

Thank you for any information.

more
    • Family attractions

London Nov 20, 2016 at 10:43 AM

I need to keep two young children and 3 young adults entertained.

I´ve book tussauds and the london eye. We are hoping to go to Winterwonderland and see Buckinhgam palace. Are there any must sees or child freindly activities.

more
    • Cheap accommodation near London

London Nov 24, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Hello! I'm travelling to London this Saturday, but I don't have a place to stay yet. I will be in London for 1 month and I was wondering if you recommend any location near London where it might be cheaper, or if you know of any Web page in which people offer rooms for short term accommodation. Thank you so much!

more
    • Luggage storage on departure day .

London Nov 21, 2016 at 7:50 PM

The accommodation we have booked dont have luggage storage facilities on our departure day. We check out at 10 and have a train booked for 4. I've checked at the train station and the cost is £87. ( 1 case and 6x Hand luggage) is this my only option? We were hoping to use our last day to visit winter wonderland .

more
    • visiting highclere castle from london

London Nov 18, 2016 at 2:11 PM

best way to get to HIghclere Castle from London. I was going to take a tour from London but they all include other stops for a full day. I'd just like to go to the castle and gardens. Any thoughts

more
    • baileypowell's Profile Photo

London & Ireland for 2 Weeks - Seeking Advice

London Nov 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM

My husband and I are thinking of doing this trip next summer (likely mid-July or early August).

We want to spend 2 weeks: 1 week in/around London then 1 week for Ireland including travel time.

We have lots we want to do in London - I am a huge British monarchy & literary history buff, plus we have some family in Suffolk so I feel like we have enough to occupy us there for a week. Then we were thinking of doing the rail & sail through Wales to Dublin and renting a car in Dublin to cruise around a bit for 5 days. We'd like to stay in Dublin a few nights, want to visit Blarney Castle, the Cliffs of Moher, maybe drive the Wild Atlantic Way, and stay in Galway as well. We'd then have to head back to London as I'm sure it will be cheaper to fly in/out of there.

Does this sound like a feasible trip? Any recommendations you can offer for the Ireland leg - that itinerary is just based on the very basic things I know about Ireland, obviously, so very open to hearing what you all think! Any suggestions for things to do in London, too, are appreciated.

We are planning on getting an airbnb outside the city centre for London and also wondering about affordability of lodgings in Dublin/Galway. Thanks!

more
    • London Travel

London Dec 3, 2016 at 7:49 PM

Hello Good Day. I am travelling to London for a day on 24th Dec. Can you please let me know:
      1. What ticket can I purchase for a days journey from Heathrow 5 to central London which would work on trains and buses for the day.
      2. Can I purchase the ticket at Heathrow Terminal 5
      3. How much will it cost and can i use credit card issued internationally.
      4.. Are there any timings restrictions for trains or buses as it is a Saturday and Christmas eve.
      Thank you for your help. Best Regards.

more
    • stella-artois's Profile Photo

Helpful advice

London Nov 26, 2016 at 10:08 AM

What is the least expensive and best time to try and send my parents to London?

more
    • Any suggestions

London Nov 18, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Im visiting London soon. We are a family of 7 , 4 kids 2 x19, 17, 8 and 7. We are staying on tower bridge road. Hopefully visiting London eye, buckingham palace, hyde park, Tower bridge and Tusaudes and hoping to see the sky gardens too.
      Can anyone offer local info on places to eat on tower bridge road. We´ll probablly need to be near the apartment early evening for the younger children.

Also is transport easy from tower bridge road into the centre ? Is it easy enough to get 2 x cabs to take us into the centre or will we need to get a bus to the local tube station.

Any info or tips will be muchly appreciated.

more
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

December visit

London Nov 21, 2016 at 8:40 AM

I will be popping over to your side of the pond (again!!!) in early December. I've got all of my shows lined up, including a panto, so my evenings are all booked up but was looking for any special things to do during the day. I've been to a lot of the Christmas related things (Winter Wonderland, Southbank & Tate markets) but if there are any special exhibits at museums that I should try and fit in or maybe some place that is decorated nicely for the holidays, I'd love to hear about it.

more
    • Best area to stay in London

London Dec 3, 2016 at 11:50 AM

My sister and I are heading to London in January for a week before starting a tour through Europe. We have never been to London before so we want to see as much as we can eg. West End, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, British Musuem. Just wondering what suburbs would be the best to stay in- close to the action and/or close to public transport?
      We would be wanting to stay in hotels (but not super expensive ones).
      Thanks for your help!

more
    • Do i need a Visa?

Heathrow Nov 25, 2016 at 1:03 AM

Me and my Friends are going to Los Angeles via London and Washington. I am a turkish citizen living in Germany and have a valid US visa. Our flight is from Dusseldorf to London and we have a layover for about 1.20h in Heathrow. The airline company told us we have to collect our luggage and have to check in again in Heatrow. My question is what if I have to cross the border even with a vilid US visa do I still need a tranist visa for UK? We will arrive and depart from terminal 2.
      BTW we fly in with Eurowings and continue with United Airlines till to our destination. Maybe someone has experienced before.
      Thank you for ur answer in advance
      Zeynep

more
    • brentdong's Profile Photo

Airside transit or visitor in transit visa or no visa requirement in heathrow airport?

Heathrow Dec 7, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Hi everybody, I am Brent, from Vietnam. Now Im living in Hungary and then I have resident permit of an EEA members (as Hungarian resident permit).
      In Jan 2017, my friend (Hungarian) and I (vietnamese, have an EEA resident permit) is going to travel to Vietnam by British Airways, in which we will transit in Heathrow Airport for about 5 hours. We are arriving to heathrow in terminal 3 and then departing in terminal 4. So please help us, in this case, do we need to apply for the airside transit visa or visiting in transit visa?

1. We have 2 ways ticket (go to vietnam and back to hungary)
      2. We are a Hungarian and Vietnamese (Have hungarian resident permit) and ofc valid passport and vietnamese visa.
      3. British airways has confirmed that our checked bags will be sent directly to the last destination.
      4. We have to change terminal in the Heathrow airport.

Thanks very much and best regard !!

8 Answers 19 hours ago
    • Scotlandsdave's Profile Photo

New Years Eve

London Dec 6, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Hi there, I am travelling to London over the new year with my Girlfriend. We've left it a bit last minute but we're wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on how to spend NYE. Whether that be a dinner and dance, street party, and kind of event really to make it a memorable new year? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4 Answers Dec 7, 2016 at 1:45 AM
    • Best transportation to Stonehenge and Glastonbury Tor

London Dec 5, 2016 at 9:14 AM

I will be visiting London for 3 days in March. I would like to take a day to visit Stonehenge and Glastonbury Tor (both in the same day).

I saw there was a tour offered that included them both, but they are only on Fridays, and unfortunately I will not be there at that time.

What is the best way to travel from London to these two sites? Rail? Bus? Some other way?

Thank you for any information.

9 Answers Dec 7, 2016 at 12:21 PM
    • Is this a good place to celebrate birthday in London?

London Dec 5, 2016 at 4:23 AM

Hi all,
      I'm new here and I hope you can help me with advice:
      Being studying various restaurant comparing sites (Tripadvisor, Michelin, Alltheviews...), I decided to try out Ye Olde Mitre Yelp and Tripadvisor estimate it pretty high (as I can judge from alltheviews.com/Ye-Olde-Mitr...), but I want a real person opinionб who has been there recently. I forgot to mention the reason - why I'm choosing a place to go out: we want to celebrate my father's bithday and he likes bars a lot. So, we need one with a good atmosphere.

So, is Ye Olde Mitre a good place to go to for a celebration?

6 Answers Dec 7, 2016 at 4:33 AM
    • London Travel

London Dec 3, 2016 at 7:49 PM

Hello Good Day. I am travelling to London for a day on 24th Dec. Can you please let me know:
      1. What ticket can I purchase for a days journey from Heathrow 5 to central London which would work on trains and buses for the day.
      2. Can I purchase the ticket at Heathrow Terminal 5
      3. How much will it cost and can i use credit card issued internationally.
      4.. Are there any timings restrictions for trains or buses as it is a Saturday and Christmas eve.
      Thank you for your help. Best Regards.

13 Answers Dec 8, 2016 at 4:30 AM
    • Best area to stay in London

London Dec 3, 2016 at 11:50 AM

My sister and I are heading to London in January for a week before starting a tour through Europe. We have never been to London before so we want to see as much as we can eg. West End, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, British Musuem. Just wondering what suburbs would be the best to stay in- close to the action and/or close to public transport?
      We would be wanting to stay in hotels (but not super expensive ones).
      Thanks for your help!

20 Answers Dec 6, 2016 at 3:53 AM
    • London Reconstructing of Big Ben

London Nov 27, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Hi all,
      I will be heading to London for the first time in Feb 2017.
      News had mention that the reconstructing of Big Ben will start in early 2017. The last news available was in April 2017 about the works. I have also read the FAQ at the parliament website but they do not really have an indicative date.
      Read that scaffolding will take 4-6 months to build. Not sure if the view in Feb will be much effected. Saw google images of the tower with scaffolding and it's not a very pretty sight. :(
      Anyone knows of any news of the work schedule or any comments much appreciated.

1 Answer Nov 28, 2016 at 12:12 AM
    • stella-artois's Profile Photo

Helpful advice

London Nov 26, 2016 at 10:08 AM

What is the least expensive and best time to try and send my parents to London?

15 Answers Dec 2, 2016 at 8:54 AM
    • taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

London Gatwick changes

London Nov 25, 2016 at 10:24 AM

I have posted this on the TRAVEL ALERTS section here on VT but don't know if there is any other place to post.

From the 25th January 2017
      These changes take place at London Gatwick
      British Airways will operate from South Terminal
      Easyjet and Virgin will operate from the North Terminal.

Found this when I tried to book parking at Gatwick's aiport and this warning came up.

Feel free to move to any appropriate section

2 Answers Nov 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM
    • Do i need a Visa?

Heathrow Nov 25, 2016 at 1:03 AM

Me and my Friends are going to Los Angeles via London and Washington. I am a turkish citizen living in Germany and have a valid US visa. Our flight is from Dusseldorf to London and we have a layover for about 1.20h in Heathrow. The airline company told us we have to collect our luggage and have to check in again in Heatrow. My question is what if I have to cross the border even with a vilid US visa do I still need a tranist visa for UK? We will arrive and depart from terminal 2.
      BTW we fly in with Eurowings and continue with United Airlines till to our destination. Maybe someone has experienced before.
      Thank you for ur answer in advance
      Zeynep

18 Answers Nov 27, 2016 at 6:38 AM
    • Cheap accommodation near London

London Nov 24, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Hello! I'm travelling to London this Saturday, but I don't have a place to stay yet. I will be in London for 1 month and I was wondering if you recommend any location near London where it might be cheaper, or if you know of any Web page in which people offer rooms for short term accommodation. Thank you so much!

9 Answers Dec 8, 2016 at 5:09 AM
    • TERMINAL TRANSFER

Heathrow Nov 24, 2016 at 2:05 AM

I am travelling from Delhi to Terminal2 I have to get my complete luggage and then go to Terminal 3 for check IS this possible or I have to get visa

2 Answers Nov 24, 2016 at 10:46 AM
    • Luggage storage on departure day .

London Nov 21, 2016 at 7:50 PM

The accommodation we have booked dont have luggage storage facilities on our departure day. We check out at 10 and have a train booked for 4. I've checked at the train station and the cost is £87. ( 1 case and 6x Hand luggage) is this my only option? We were hoping to use our last day to visit winter wonderland .

12 Answers Dec 2, 2016 at 8:59 AM
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

December visit

London Nov 21, 2016 at 8:40 AM

I will be popping over to your side of the pond (again!!!) in early December. I've got all of my shows lined up, including a panto, so my evenings are all booked up but was looking for any special things to do during the day. I've been to a lot of the Christmas related things (Winter Wonderland, Southbank & Tate markets) but if there are any special exhibits at museums that I should try and fit in or maybe some place that is decorated nicely for the holidays, I'd love to hear about it.

18 Answers Nov 28, 2016 at 9:59 AM
    • baileypowell's Profile Photo

London & Ireland for 2 Weeks - Seeking Advice

London Nov 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM

My husband and I are thinking of doing this trip next summer (likely mid-July or early August).

We want to spend 2 weeks: 1 week in/around London then 1 week for Ireland including travel time.

We have lots we want to do in London - I am a huge British monarchy & literary history buff, plus we have some family in Suffolk so I feel like we have enough to occupy us there for a week. Then we were thinking of doing the rail & sail through Wales to Dublin and renting a car in Dublin to cruise around a bit for 5 days. We'd like to stay in Dublin a few nights, want to visit Blarney Castle, the Cliffs of Moher, maybe drive the Wild Atlantic Way, and stay in Galway as well. We'd then have to head back to London as I'm sure it will be cheaper to fly in/out of there.

Does this sound like a feasible trip? Any recommendations you can offer for the Ireland leg - that itinerary is just based on the very basic things I know about Ireland, obviously, so very open to hearing what you all think! Any suggestions for things to do in London, too, are appreciated.

We are planning on getting an airbnb outside the city centre for London and also wondering about affordability of lodgings in Dublin/Galway. Thanks!

13 Answers Nov 22, 2016 at 6:33 AM
    • Family attractions

London Nov 20, 2016 at 10:43 AM

I need to keep two young children and 3 young adults entertained.

I´ve book tussauds and the london eye. We are hoping to go to Winterwonderland and see Buckinhgam palace. Are there any must sees or child freindly activities.

9 Answers Nov 27, 2016 at 1:52 PM
    • Oyster or contactless

London Nov 20, 2016 at 10:39 AM

is there any advantage to buying the oyster cards or is using concatless cards just the same.

7 Answers Nov 27, 2016 at 1:54 PM
    • visiting highclere castle from london

London Nov 18, 2016 at 2:11 PM

best way to get to HIghclere Castle from London. I was going to take a tour from London but they all include other stops for a full day. I'd just like to go to the castle and gardens. Any thoughts

13 Answers Nov 19, 2016 at 4:10 PM
    • Any suggestions

London Nov 18, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Im visiting London soon. We are a family of 7 , 4 kids 2 x19, 17, 8 and 7. We are staying on tower bridge road. Hopefully visiting London eye, buckingham palace, hyde park, Tower bridge and Tusaudes and hoping to see the sky gardens too.
      Can anyone offer local info on places to eat on tower bridge road. We´ll probablly need to be near the apartment early evening for the younger children.

Also is transport easy from tower bridge road into the centre ? Is it easy enough to get 2 x cabs to take us into the centre or will we need to get a bus to the local tube station.

Any info or tips will be muchly appreciated.

16 Answers Nov 20, 2016 at 12:09 PM
    • Best area to stay

5 Answers Dec 2, 2016 at 9:07 AM
    • Best area to stay

7 Answers Nov 21, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    • Tax free shopping

Heathrow Nov 5, 2016 at 5:53 PM

I have purchased some stuff from the UK and have tax free shopping forms that I have filled.
      But in order to get the tax I need to show the goods to the customs officer. As I would have checked in my luggage. How is it possible?
      Can I go through customs before checking in the luggage.

I will be departing from terminal 4

6 Answers Nov 9, 2016 at 10:30 PM
    • 4 days itinerary in London final check?

London Nov 3, 2016 at 1:36 AM

Ok folks, first of all, I would like to say thank you for those who suggested me the itineraries before and a few were too rushed and unrealistic, so I had changed and removed some as suggested which is now more spread out and I would like to ask for your final check to see if this looks any better now!

Already bought the 3 Days London Pass

londonpass.com/london-attrac...

Attractions we will use:
      - Tower Of London
      - Hop on/hop off bus tour
      - Thames River Boat Cruise
      - Westmintser Abbey
      - Tower Bridge Exhibition
      - Windsor Castle
      - Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum
      - Wimbledon Tour Experience

03 Feb (Friday):
      HK to London (heathrow) @ 2 Feb. Flight arrive 5am @ 3 Feb. Staying Airbnb near Waterloo Station + 10 min walk
      6am - I assume we would be out of the immigration by this time given it is so early in morning & not busy. Take TUBE to Waterloo (via Green Park). Walk to property.
      7:30am - Check in, drop baggage.
      8am - Eat breakfast nearby in Waterloo/Westminster
      9am - Head to Westminster Abbey to line up
      9:15am - Attraction opens and stay up to 1/2 hour? 1 hour?
      10:45am - Take Thames Boat Cruise for 11am session to Tower Pier (or take the10:30am if finished early)
      londonpass.com/images_lib/67...
      (Cruise approx. 30 min?)
      11:30am - Walk to Tower Bridge Exhibition and stay approx. for 1 hour
      12:30pm - Walk to St Katherine's Dock for 1 hour lunch
      (Estimate 15 min walk)
      1:45pm - Walk to Tower Of London
      (Estimate 15 min walk)
      2pm - Stay 2-3 hours?
      4pm-5pm - Leave and take the Hop On, Hop Off bus (Bus no. 29) to Waterloo/Westminster for dinner nearby before walking back home for early rest

04 Feb (Saturday)
      - Go to Windsor Castle for day trip. Attraction opens at 9:45am. Be there at 9am to line up (due to possible many people on a Saturday?)
      - Depart from Waterloo Station @ around 8am
      Stay in the area for 3-4-5 hours? This number of hours is still unknown
      - Go for the Long Walk
      - Walk River Eton and possibly take French Brothers boat?
      - See shopping centre nearby?

What time will finish is still unsure to us? 3pm? 4pm? 5pm??

Depending what time we will head back.....4pm or 5pm or 6pm?
      - Afterwards, take Tube to Piccadilly Circus Station for dinner.
      - After dinner start walking in Regent Street and then turn left at Oxford Circus.....walk Oxford Street all the way to Marble Arch. Then take Tube back home.
      - Head back home at around 10pm?

05 Feb (Sunday)
      Note:
      Wimbledon museum open at 10am
      Wimbledon 1 1/2 hours tour starts at 10:30am

8:30am - Walk to Westminster Underground Station to Southfields Underground Station. Take direct Tube for 8:54am & arrives the station @ 9:24am
      9:30am - Walk approx. 20 min from Southfield Underground Station to the attraction
      9:50am - Arrive Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum & see museum from 10am for approximately half hour
      10:30am - Wimbledon Tour Experience starts for 1 1/2 hours
      12:00pm - Conclude & leave towards Southfield Underground Station
      12:15pm - Arrive Southfield Underground Station & Head to Paddington for Little Venice canel boat ride to Campen Market

2 scenerios:

1) Head to Paddington Underground Station (Approx. 1/2 hour ride). If arrive Paddinginton Underground Station @ 12:45pm, walk to Little Venice (10 min walk) and take 1pm canel boat to Campen Market
      londonwaterbus.com/timetable...

2) If too rush & too late, then take the next 3pm session canel to Camden Market.
      During 1 1/2 hours period, eat lunch around Paddington (leave some food stomach space for Campen Market) & walk around nearby unti 2:30pm.

Very likely is 2) given the time restraint.

3pm - Take boat canel to Camden Market
      3:40pm - Approx. 40 min ride & arrive at Campden Market. Stroll around before market closes @ 6pm - When shops are closed, we leave

NOT SURE WHERE TO for dinner on a Sunday afterwasrds

06 Feb (Monday)
      8:30am - Breakfast nearby (AROUND LONDON EYE AREA)
      9:45am - Line up for London Eye attraction that starts @ 10am
      10:45am - Concludes London Eye and start walking from the pedestrian Queens Walk and walk ALL the way to around London Bridge to see the nice river view and take photos
      Keep walking either to Southwark Bridge or London Bridge and head to Monument direction Skyview Garden
      12:30pm - Plan to book this timeslot & stay around 1 hour at the maximum
      1:30pm - Quick lunch
      2pm - Head to Notting Hill to Portobello Market?
      6pm - Head to Leicester Square Station for dinner, browse shops, M & M World and chinatown (as they open till late)
      10pm - Go back

The next morning, head to airport

Hopefully this itinerary will be all good

Would be appreciated for any feedback!

PS: Final thing....given the 4 days itinerary above, how much you think I should top up my Oyster Card for the first visit is enough? 20 pound? 15? etc

Thanks

6 Answers Nov 13, 2016 at 12:52 AM
    • LibbyChua's Profile Photo

TRANFER FROM TERMINAL 3 TO TERMINAL 5 NEED TO CLEAR CUSTOM & PASSPORT CONTROL

Heathrow Nov 1, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Me & my friend intend to visit Iceland vide London. We have bought the Tickets to London & Iceland separately. However, we will arrive in London Heathrow airport in the Morning 7.10 am at Terminal 3, but our flight to Iceland is also on the same day at 11.20am & departure to Iceland is at Terminal 5.

We suppose we have to claim our Baggage when we arrive in London then go to Terminal 5, our question is whether

we need to clear custom & passport control then only can proceed to Terminal 5 to re-check in again?

18 Answers Nov 7, 2016 at 11:05 AM
    • Arriving at terminal 5, meeting friend who arrives earlier at terminal 3 - where can we meet?

Heathrow Oct 29, 2016 at 7:08 AM

I am arriving in London Heathrow, Terminal 5 at 10:10 a.m. next Thursday. I am meeting a friend who arrives at Terminal 3 at 6:30 a.m. She has recently had surgery and may need help with her bags.

After collecting bags, is there anywhere she can wait comfortably for my arrival?

We will be taking Heathrow Express to Paddington together.

I don't know whether she should meet me at 5 or I should meet her at 3.

9 Answers Oct 29, 2016 at 1:09 PM
    • travel card or oyster? traveling from london to hitchin to cambridge

London Oct 28, 2016 at 11:50 PM

hello,

we are going to spend our honeymoon in london next year. we also plan to go to hitchin and cambridge, but got confused on the best or cheapest possible way to get there. will we able to go there by the 1 day travel card? or not?

i saw in the website "Travelcards let you travel as often as you like on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and National Rail services within the London travel zones."

please clarify.

thanks.

4 Answers Oct 31, 2016 at 5:28 AM
    • short term rental in London and surrounding areas

London Oct 27, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Bringing 9 family members to England in June of 2017. Looking for either an apartment, flat or home in vicinity of London that would accommodate all of us for one week. If you know of a web site that would cover this.
      Thanks

5 Answers Oct 28, 2016 at 9:10 AM
    • How does my 4 days itinerary review sound?

London Oct 24, 2016 at 11:56 PM

Hi there

Me and my partner are planning to go to London next year in Feb and we have already purchased the 3 Days London pass which seems a good value given we intend to go to some attractions more than it would have costed us to pay for. This is the London Pass i.e.

londonpass.com/london-attrac...

We intend to go to the following attractions
      - Tower Of London
      - Hop on/hop off bus tour
      - Thames River Boat Cruise
      - Westmintser Abbey
      - London Bridge Experience
      - Tower Bridge Exhibition
      - Windsor Castle
      - Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum
      - Wimbledon Tour Experience

Will depart from HK & arrive Heathrow @ 5am and have already booked the Airbnb near Waterloo station (around 10 min walk). I assume we will arrive at place for check in at 7:30am given early in the morning (correct me if I am wrong) as I assume the waiting in the immigration may be less in early morning and that it takes an hour to arrive to the property? The host is very flexible for check in and allowed me to go as early as I wanted.

So here is my rough itinerary plan and let me know what you guys think

Day 1 (Friday) - Check in say @ 7:30am. Drop off the luggage and off we head to our first day trip

We will head for London Hop On bus tour. Now I need to get/redeem the ticket to get activated. Given I am staying in Waterloo (near Archbishop Park/Herclues street around Lambeth North train station to be precise), so therefore where is the closest place I need to get to redeem the ticket given I am not familar with the place as we have a choice on the following places:

11a Charing Cross Road, London, WC2H 0EP
      or bus stops @:
      Duncannon Street St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Stop G
      Park Lane Southbound Park Lane, Southbound, Coach stop at Marble Arch
      Aldwych West arm, Tourist Stop, Outside No. 1
      Kings Cross St Pancras Road, Bus Stop T
      Tooley Street Tourist stop, opposite London Bridge Experience 7 Tower Hill Tourist bus stop, opposite Tower Hill Station
      Tower Hill Tourist bus stop, opposite Tower Hill Station
      Parliament Square Stop C, HM Treasury
      York Road North of Chichley Street

As I assume the bus tour starts at 9am, will ride around and then go to as in order (please correct me if I am going in the wrong order or whatever it suits the route best!)

1) RIDE AND GET OFF @ Westminster Abbey

RIDE AGAIN & GET OFF
      2) Buckingham Palace (Hopefully we can see the change of guard @ 11:30am if weather permits and if that is the time that starts)

RIDE AGAIN & GET OFF

3) Tower Of London
      WALK TO GIVEN IT IS CLOSE TO

4) Tower Bridge

4) London Bridge Experience

5) Borough Market (as I am aware it closes at 5pm, hopefully we can get there by 4pm to stroll around). This is NOT a MUST though

6) RIDE AGAIN AND JUST GO FOR NORMAL BUS TOUR RIDE RANDOMLY TO TAKE PHOTOS AT THE TOP DECK

I assume they will all be finished before the attraction closing time average @ 5pm?

Day 2 (Saturday) - This is where it gets challenging! We want to go to Windsor Castle, Wimbledom Museum & the Wimbledon Tour experience. I would like to ask for your suggestion. Do you think we can go half day in WC and then go to Wimbledom afterwards? Or do you think it is too rush and requires a day to tour in WC? Because if so, we might have to sacrafice the Wimbledom and can go on the next day.

As I assume that weekend is counted as OFF PEAK all day for train/tube?

Because we got a London Pass, we can get FREE travel from Paddington to Windsor Castle, so we will catch the train from Waterloo to Paddington @ around 8:30am. Then from Paddington, we show our London Pass to the train staff & then we can get free travel to WC (according to the London Pass benefit) transferring in Slough. Assuming we arrive at 9:30am. How many hours you think is required to go to the whole castle as well as having a walk in Eton and maybe take a boat ride on the French Brothers boat? Because if you tell me "well, its going to take you the whole day", then like said, we will not go to Wimbledon or otherwise feel free to advice what time is good to take the train from Windsor Eton train station?

Day 3 (Sunday) - Continuing with my London Pass, we can go:
      1) Thames River Boat Cruise starting @ 8:30am - ride for 1-2 hours round trip and I assume it finishes at Waterloo? Correct me if I am wrong.
      2) Have brunch
      3) Take train from Waterloo to Wimbledon tour & museum departing around 12pm.
      4) Finish at 3 or 4pm? Return back to London

SUGGESTION AT NIGHT for dinner?

Day 4: (Monday) Because my London Pass expires, I can go freely without any worries as in order:
      1) London Eye
      2) Big Ben
      3) St. Paul's Cathedral (not a MUST)
      4) Chinatown

PLUS ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS for the day/night?

Day 5: Leave Heathrow airport for the 12:15pm flight. PS: What is the time recommeded to travel off peak to avoid rush hour from Waterloo station? 7:30am or 8am is ok?

Sorry for the long message and would be appreciated for your comments and suggestions!

Cheers

12 Answers Oct 26, 2016 at 10:34 PM
    • Travelling with expired h1b and valid i797

Heathrow Oct 24, 2016 at 9:36 PM

I am planned to travel in 2 days with spouse and kid from Los Angeles to Delhi via heathrow.
      My h1b visa expired in feb16.
      I have got valid i797 approved till 2018.
      Do i need transit visa?
      Can i get it at check in at Los Angeles at the time of travel?
      What all i can do if British airways denies me entry?
      M an Indian citizen.

3 Answers Oct 25, 2016 at 11:11 AM
    • Heathrow Central Station to Hoppa - disabled passenger

Heathrow Oct 24, 2016 at 5:50 PM

My relative, who has limited mobility, will be travelling by coach to the Heathrow Bus Station, taking the Hotel Hoppa bus from stops 9 or 10, staying in a hotel for the night, then flying from T2 the next day. Whilst my relative is able to walk, she cannot do so for long distances or with luggage.

I am concerned that she will have difficulty getting from her coach to the Hoppa bus stop, and then from the Hoppa bus stop to T2 Departures. I emailed the Heathrow special assistance team and received an unhelpful automated response. National Express have not yet responded. There is a Help Point with a telephone inside the Central Bus Station, but I'm not sure of the kind of assistance that can be provided.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5 Answers Oct 25, 2016 at 10:56 PM