VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Geiranger Travel Answers

change location

Geiranger Popular Activities

by HappySmile Online Now May 2, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Hi All,

I plan to have some vacation in Geiranger for 1 or 2 days. Actually what I want to see is:
- The great Trollstigen (north route from Geiranger to Andalsnes)
- Beautiful Dalsnibba (south route to Grotli)
- The gigantic rock Flydalsjuvet (south route)

For the Trollstigen, I would like to use bus (The Golden Route). Is The Golden Route cover route from Geiranger to Andalsnes (not Andalsnes to Geiranger)? The problem is that I will go in 28 - 29 May 2008 and the Golden Route itself operate in June 2008. Does anyone can give me some alternative?

For the Dalsnibba, is there any public transportation that I can use except Golden Route?

For Flydalsjuvet, what public transportation that cover this route?

Also, if I rent car, it have minimum 3 days car rental and it's so expensive. So I would like to have some pt or motorcycle.. Need help if anyone knows for motorcycle rental with minimum budget and not minimum 3 days.. Many thanks before

BR,
Christoper

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • geigen's Profile Photo

Re: Geiranger Popular Activities

by geigen Online Now May 3, 2008 at 6:42 AM

Hi, you will probably want to check out SailorRoar's pages. He grew up in the area.

From what I could see from the Fjord1 pages, the tour route The Golden Route doesn't start until June. There are, however, normal busses in the area. You could, for example take a bus to Molde and from there get the bus to Hellesylt (Stranda kommune - the Geiranger fjord area). The views are pretty spectacular from normal busses throughout the area. There seems to be a taxi service that will drive you to Dalsnibba and back.

I don't know why you would need to rent a car for 3 days. That is certainly not a general rule normally. Of course car rental is expensive in Norway. I wouldn't try motorcycle. It rains a lot here. I would try to piece together a bus route.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SailorRoar's Profile Photo

by SailorRoar Online Now May 8, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Hi, you are probably looking for a bus route that goes from Andalsnes to Geiranger or opposite, since you mentioned Trollstigen. Unfortunately I can't find any bus connection that goes over Trollstigen on these dates, it is as mentioned possible to go other routes, but they are a bit tricky(lots of changes, involving several buses, boat, some walking and a lot of waiting). And you will miss out on Trollstigen. So I would recomend renting a car. Or maybe see if you can find a tour company that operates the Golden Route, there are a lot of buses that isn't scheduled buses. Maybe if you contact the tourist information in Geiranger (Tel: +47 70263099) or Andalsnes (Tel: +47 71221622 Web: www.visitandalsnes.com
    E-mail: info@visitandalsnes.com ).

I have never rented cars in this area, but I have rented for just one days elsewhere, but you are right, they are a bit on the pricy side.

I think it will be hard to find Motorcycle rental in that area (you might find moped on campsites but I wouldn't trust that sort of equipment on roads like Trollstigen and Ørnevegen or Dalsnibba for that sake), and even if you find something, I wouldn't recommend Motorcycles eigher unless you are very experienced on MC. These roads are very narrow, lots of turns and going off is.... well not an option ;)

• geigen's Profile Photo

by geigen Online Now May 10, 2008 at 12:59 AM

I was over in the general Åndalsnes area two days ago. They are still plowing Trollstigen out although they radio said that it was going fairly quickly. I think the official opening of the route is right around when you will be there. Don't worry too much about specific rocks or routes; the whole area is fantastic.
    Susan

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines