VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Flagstaff Travel Answers

change location

1988 Hotel Stay

by SimplyJoe Online Now Mar 29, 2004 at 12:10 PM

I passed through Flagstaff in 1988 on my way back from Marine Corps bootcamp. My now wife and I stopped at a hotel and I propossed to her out back along a gravel raod. I'm looking for the name of the hotel. I recall the following info about the hotel and it's surroundings. It had a dinner os some sort attached to it, or next to it. It served breakfast. It had a white rail fence along the side of the parking lot. This fence seperated the road from a gravel road. There was not much else around the property. I know it was about a 5 minute drive from the Hotel to the mall. Any ideas. Sorry I don't have much to go on. I'm pretty sure it was Flagstaff. We would of left San Diego before 10 A.M. Only stopped at a rest area or two. I know we passed the Petrified Forest and a Rest area on along I-8. Beyond that I don't recall much of the trip. That night (I think it was Flagstaff) we also visited a movie theater at the local Mall. A busy highway could be seen from the theater parking lot. Sorry I don't have much to go on, but I want to recreate as much of the trip for my wife as possible. Thanks Joe

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: 1988 Hotel Stay

by lstrebler Online Now Mar 29, 2004 at 12:55 PM

Well, I-8 isn't anywhere near Flagstaff. I-8 runs from Casa Grande, which is south of Phoenix, through Yuma and into San Diego. Flagstaff and the Petrified Forest are north, along I-40 (formerly Route 66). Maybe looking at a map would help to refresh your memory? Good luck recreating your trip! Laura

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: 1988 Hotel Stay

by SimplyJoe Online Now Mar 30, 2004 at 11:09 AM

Let me also state the following, as I did actually look at a map. The route was I-8 to Phoneix (I assume we took I-10 up to Phoneix from I-8), then to I-40 (which I assume we passed through Flagstaff, thus my question). I have various pieces of evidence (photos, post cards, trinkets) that show Yuma, Petrified Forest, I-8 Rest stop, Phoenix, Flagstaff and I-40). I'm assuming here that the route was I-8, I-10, I-17, I-40). Joe

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines