will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Egypt Travel Answers

change location
vicki_dreamer's Profile Photo

Egypt situation?

by vicki_dreamer Online Now Jan 29, 2011 at 4:47 AM

I was wondering if anyone has firsthand experience with the situation in some of the places in Egypt right now. Or know something else?

Me and my friend bought tickets (non-refundable) to Cairo months ago. because of the situation we decided to skip Cairo to begin with and see it it calms down later (we're supposed to stay in the country for two weeks), and fly straight to Luxor with Egyptair - are the flights being cancelled?? Someone wrote this in a post.

I know from the media that the situation in Hurghada and Sharm is good at the moment, but what about Luxor and Aswan?
My government is only warning against trips to Cairo, Suez and Alexandria, though I read at BBC's website that the british government is also including Luxor.

How is the situation in Giza? We would love to at least get to see the pyramids before we leave.

We are leaving in less than a week, and we are starting to get abit nervous :(

I appreciate all replies!

Quote & Answer
35 Answers
  • Re: Egypt situation?

    by jeanfinney Online Now Jan 30, 2011 at 11:51 AM

    You surely should be able to get your money back. People here on VT can support and help you with that, I am sur;, in fact they already have offered suggestions. I know that one important factor - yesterday there was a good article in the NY Times on rights, protective measures when flights are canceled - is to apply as soon as possible. The article also said that Europe was even stricter than the States, so fight for your rights! take care, Jean

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

    Re: Egypt situation?

    by leics Online Now Jan 30, 2011 at 11:51 AM

    I agree. Although I would wish for things to settle before you were due to visit, in reality I think it will take longer.

    I hope you do get your fare refunded. I think it would be best to hold off from cancelling for as long as possible, in the hope that the airline will do it for you.

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

    Re: Egypt situation?

    by leics Online Now Jan 30, 2011 at 11:53 AM

    The key point under EU regulations is that the flight is cancelled by the airline, not by the passenger.

    That is why it would be sensible to hold off for as long as possible.

    You will also need to carefully read the terms and conditions of your ticket, to see how and if they apply to you cancelling because of these events in Egypt and the advice of your government.

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

    Re: Egypt situation?

    by TheWanderingCamel Online Now Feb 2, 2011 at 5:35 AM

    leics is right - if you cancel a non-refundable ticket/hotel/any other travel deal , or cancel out of a refundable contract after the final dates for refunds, you are not entitled to a refund no matter what the cause. Any refund/concession for alternative arrangements etc the company chooses to give you is at their discretion. Similarly, your travel insurance will have spelt out exactly what they will pay up for when you signed up. If the airline/tour company cancels, you should get an offer of an alternative arrangement or a full refund - and it should be your decision which you accept. So, hang in there and, if possible have a Plan B up your sleeve if necessary- as we are doing right now.

    We have a cruise booked starting on Feb 14. This is the offer from our cruise
    company should we decide to cancel independently -

    "Unfortunatly a decision concerning your tour on the 14th February will not be made until the 7th February. I can advise that following concerning an independent cancellation.

    Passengers booked to travel within 8 – 28 days:

    Can transfer to Jordan at the amendment fee of £190 pp,
    can transfer to an alternative arrangement at the amendment fee of £290 pp
    can cancel with cancellation charges limited to £290pp"

    We're waiting to see what they say on the 7th - meantime, Plan B - we've booked (refundable) flights to Cyprus.

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ruffled's Profile Photo

    Re: Egypt situation?

    by ruffled Online Now Feb 2, 2011 at 11:04 PM

    hi! I think your decision not to go now is the right one.
    I was in Egypt til tuesday (1 feb) and things were unstable and getting worse. I did not feel safe as a tourist although people say that tourists/foreigners were not targetted. plus most sites were shut.
    also, coming back from Aswan, there was a demonstration right outside the train station and my group was affected by the tear gas that hung in the air.
    i truly hope things get much better for the people of Egypt really quickly. i found them to be a lovely and warm people, and hope to go back there one day soon.

    I hope you get your payments back and also get to visit soon under better circumstances!

    Be the first to rate this answer!

    Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Egypt Travel Answer Locations