Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Travelling the west coast of Ecuador

Ecuador Oct 4, 2016 at 10:10 AM

How accessible is travel from Salinas north to Manta and San Lorenzo Esmeraidas and what are the accommodation like, after the recent earthquake, April 2016?

• 6 days in Ecuador - stick to day trips from Quito?

Ecuador Sep 18, 2016 at 11:23 PM

I will be in Ecuador for 6 days in October, flying into and out of Quito. I'm in my 40s, traveling solo, and my main interests are nature and authentic local experiences (e.g. authentic markets, rural life etc.). I strongly prefer independent travel over organized groups, but due to the short time I have, I might have to make some sacrifices there to avoid wasting time in long bus rides.
      Unfortunately I won't make it to Galapagos, so I'm not sure whether I should stay in Quito, spending 2-3 days in the city and going on day trips from there (e.g. to Cotopaxi, otavalo and Mindo), or is one of these places, or any other place, worth an overnight or longer trip.
      Any advice on how to experience the most nature and local experiences in such a short trip will be highly appreciated. Thanks !!

2 Answers Sep 19, 2016 at 2:36 AM
    • Train or bus

Baños Sep 10, 2016 at 1:34 PM

How should we travel from Quito to Banos, train or bus?

5 Answers Sep 11, 2016 at 2:30 PM
    • Dragonlady's Profile Photo

taxi from Terminal Quitumbe to Cento Historico

Quito Sep 8, 2016 at 2:31 PM

How long is the taxi ride (late afternoon traffic) and what should I expect to pay?

3 Answers Sep 9, 2016 at 3:23 AM
    • transfer from airport to Sheraton Quito

Ecuador Sep 1, 2016 at 6:50 AM

We arrive 11 pm . What is best way for senior citizens to get to hotel from Quito airport and what is the price?

2 Answers Sep 1, 2016 at 7:11 AM
    • What is the best way to access Montecristi in Manabi at the moment after the earthquakes?

Ecuador Aug 23, 2016 at 3:13 AM

I am from Australia and need to plan a trip to Montecristi in Manabi province in order to provide relief aid. What would be the best way to get there? Thank you

2 Answers Aug 23, 2016 at 1:09 PM
    • legoanakin's Profile Photo

Getting to Laguna Quilotoa and accommodation

Laguna Quilotoa Aug 9, 2016 at 3:38 PM

I will soon be going to Quito and would like to visit Laguna Quilotoa. From the research i've done I think I want to avoid a day trip from Quito because of the travel time leaving not so much time at the Laguna.

Is it possible to reach by bus or should I hire a car in Quito?

If hiring a car does it need to be a 4x4 and any idea of how much it costs to hire for 2 days?

Is there plenty of accommodation at the Laguna?

Thanks in advance for any help!

4 Answers Aug 10, 2016 at 1:18 AM
    • Quito to Cuenca

Quito Jul 28, 2016 at 11:39 PM

Would like to go by bus in 1 direction but have read horror stories about dangers, cleanliness of bathrooms or lack thereof, no break stops on a 10 hour trip, etc. The picture has not been pretty but this info may be old. I am not a 1st class flyer but do need certain comforts. Can someone update me on this means of travel.....which bus line is the best, etc. I value the responses I have received in the past so look forward to any info one can provide. Thanks!

2 Answers Jul 29, 2016 at 2:32 AM
    • apbeaches's Profile Photo

April's devastating earthquake

Manta Jul 15, 2016 at 4:27 PM

We will be visiting December, 2016 and understand that there was a devastating earthquake in April 2016. How does Manta look now? Beaches clean? City safe? Is there anything special to see and do at this point?

1 Answer Jul 15, 2016 at 5:49 PM
    • Alpaca Goods

Quito Jul 2, 2016 at 2:34 PM

Does anyone have some general idea as to what alpaca goods will cost in Ecuador or Peru in US Dolars?

2 Answers Jul 3, 2016 at 1:13 PM
    • legoanakin's Profile Photo

Galapagos in August - Any advice/thoughts would be very helpful!

Galápagos Islands Jun 21, 2016 at 1:41 AM

In late August I shall be going to the Galapagos Islands and I'm hoping to get your advice on a few things.

I will have 7-10 days (more likely to be 7 days) and the wildlife is what i'm going for. Normally when I travel I do things independently as opposed to organised tours but i'm wondering in this case which such limited time whether I should be taking a tour?

I've found a 7 day tour with Imaginative Traveller for £600 ($880) which includes accommodation, breakfast only, and trips to Isabela, Santa Cruz and San Cristobal. There are additional extras to Isla Lobos and several others should I wish to take them.

This sounds pretty good to me but what I really want to understand is whether 7 days is genuinely long enough and with the itinerary i've mentioned whether there is anything MUST SEE that i'm going to miss? I really want to see the blue-footed booby, marine iguanas and the giant tortoise.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

11 Answers Jun 23, 2016 at 12:54 AM
    • Galapagos cruise in October

Galápagos Islands Jun 19, 2016 at 12:01 AM

We are arriving in Quito on October 1st and we want to visit the Galapagos Islands by a ship cruise (much likely 8 days). As i read, it's much cheaper to book it in Quito or in Puerto Ayora. Since October is low season, we are curious which way is best. Fly directly to the Galapagos Islands and find a Last Minute ticket? And how about the flight to the islands? Shall we book a return flight from home or just a one way ticket and see what offer we get on the islands for the cruise? Are those flights popular or will we find a last minute flight as well?

Thanks for any advise - also if you know a good ship!

2 Answers Jun 19, 2016 at 3:01 AM
    • Avianca - only local credit card

Galápagos Islands May 11, 2016 at 7:00 AM

I'm about to buy two multi-city tickets to Galápagos through Avianca. the price was 535 USD, but then i realized that they only accept local credit cards, and the country on their webpage was set to Ecuador. When I changed the country to Europa the price was 785 USD.. Can I buy the tickets through the Ecuadorian page using my credit card from Denmark or will they notice in the airport and then charge me more?

3 Answers May 13, 2016 at 7:37 PM
    • Visiting Vilacabamba and cotatachi

Ecuador May 7, 2016 at 1:09 PM

What should I pack and be aware of in the region?

• shavy's Profile Photo

Bus and taxi at International Airport in Quito

Quito Apr 30, 2016 at 6:33 AM

I see that there is Aeroservicios (shuttle) outside terminal building for $8 per trip

How about taxi, how much for a taxi ride to the center of Quito?

5 Answers May 13, 2016 at 10:08 PM
    • transportation

Galápagos Islands Apr 28, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Not sure if the last email went through. Could anyone please tell me if there are taxis at the airport on Isabela? How do people arriving typically get to were they're staying?

Thank you!

2 Answers Apr 28, 2016 at 6:47 PM
    • aortser's Profile Photo

Which cruise to take to see Galapagos islands?

Galápagos Islands Apr 22, 2016 at 7:45 AM

I would like to take a five days cruise to see the Galapagos Islands to start on Saturday 30 April 2016
      or Sunday 01 may 2016. Any advice on which nice but affordable company to take? I'm a 39 years old solo traveller
      and would prefer a big boat where to meet other fellow travelers.

3 Answers Apr 22, 2016 at 10:36 PM
    • Alechter's Profile Photo

Crossing the Ecuador Peru border

Vilcabamba Apr 18, 2016 at 6:40 AM

I am a backpacker who will be heading towards Peru from Ecuador. What is the most effective way of crossing the border by land? It appears that there are 3 major checkpoints where this can be done, with one of them being near Vilcabamba (the others being from Machala and Macara). Specifically, I am looking for the safest, fastest and least problem-bound choice.

Any feedback is appreciated!

• Alechter's Profile Photo

Crossing the Ecuador-Peru border

Macará Apr 18, 2016 at 6:26 AM

I am a backpacker who will be heading towards Peru from Ecuador. What is the most effective way of crossing the border by land? It appears that there are 3 major checkpoints where this can be done, with one of them being in Mancara (the others being from Machala and Loja). Specifically, I am looking for the safest, fastest and least problem-bound choice.

I appreciate any and all feedback!!

1 Answer Apr 18, 2016 at 6:29 AM
    • What items to take in a backpack?

Ecuador Apr 2, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Hello all,

I am leaving in May for a trip in Ecuador and Peru. Right now I am not sure how long I will stay there, but I am thinking it will be from 2 to three months. As time to leave gets closer, I need to get a bag ready, but I then had some questions.

1. Would it be worth taking a tent? It takes up a considerable amount of space and I am planning on going to hostels on the first week or two so that I can meet other travelers, as I am travelling alone. What are your thoughts?
      2. Shoes. This is a simple one, but I just want to hear form others. I was thinking about having a pair of sandals, a pair of sturdy shoes for hiking and some more simple running shoes.
      3. Clothes. Reltaed to the above, should I take jeans, that have a thicker fabric, or more shorts and sweatpants because they are more comfortable? I was thinking about a 2 shorts, 2 jeans for the mountains and sweatpants, but it might be too much/little.
      4. Anything else? Any suggestions are welcome. I will make s imple first aid kit with gauze, bandages, some ibuprophen, acetaminophan and band aids. I will get insurance, just in case, take some tank tops, some tshirst and a hoodie and a thick jacket for the mountains of Peru. I heard that some people take a small pressure cooker with them, but is it worth it?

8 Answers Apr 30, 2016 at 12:27 PM
    • Macara and the Jorupe

Ecuador Mar 27, 2016 at 12:28 PM

OK, another last minute long shot. Has anyone been there? First, I am having a hard time finding hotel prices online. any suggestions? Decent, clean, a quiet room not on the street, suitable for a single older lady? Two, I would be stopping there because I want to see the petroglyphs. Has anyone seen them? Are they difficult to access? And three, the plan is to go on to Chiclayo (I will post on Peru too) - Google says it is only 4 and half hours on the Pan American but is it really that easy? with border crossing, luggage, etc? Google is not god! Thanks, Jean

• Equinox celebrations

Ecuador Mar 19, 2016 at 9:06 AM

This is a last minute long shot, but here goes. Equinox is soon here! I know that in Cayambe there are celebrations, and in Tulipe, but I will be far from both places. Heading to Cuenca Monday, actually. Does anyone know of anything going on in that area? Thanks, Jean

2 Answers Mar 19, 2016 at 3:32 PM
    • Getting the visa situation straight

Ecuador Mar 9, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Hi - I just want to get this clear. I am an American citizen on my free 90 day visa. I thought I could renew or go out and come back for another 90 days. But I just found out that I cannot, that if I want to spend one day longer in the country I have to pay $400 for a six month visa, no other option. That is too expensive for me, and I dont want to stay for six months anyway. The rainy season is driving me crazy so I was thinking of going somewhere for a couple of months then coming back for the dry festival season in June and July. So if I dont use all my 90 days would they count the days on my passport and, when I return, grant me the days remaining? Is that a definite policy or could I have problems? Thank you, Jean

2 Answers Mar 10, 2016 at 6:38 AM
    • short of breath

Quito Mar 8, 2016 at 2:53 AM

i am short of breath,is it ok to go there

5 Answers Mar 8, 2016 at 6:16 PM
    • Credit card blocked because of the country?

Ecuador Feb 24, 2016 at 10:01 PM

This is more about sharing experience than a tourist question. My bank was fully informed that I was in Ecuador but my card was still blocked, and I was told that was because it was a blocked or blacklisted country. I was astounded. Has this happened to anyone else? They also said - trying to pass the buck hahaha - that countries blocked cards. Ecuador blocking an American Visa card? Impossible to imagine. What do you think of this? Maybe North Korea....but not a country that likes the States, is full of expats and needs the tourist trade! Any ideas?

9 Answers Feb 26, 2016 at 9:34 AM
    • Pre purchase of speed boat ticket from Ayora to Villamil

Isla Isabela Feb 20, 2016 at 8:00 AM

We will be coming in from Quito on the 8:10 AM flight and want to go from Ayora to Villamil the same day.
      How does a person purchase the tickets the day before from Quito.
      Any ideas would help.

1 Answer Feb 20, 2016 at 8:43 AM
    • Dental emergency - Quito

Ecuador Feb 10, 2016 at 6:44 AM

Hello - I am traveling in southern Colombia (in the countryside now) on my way out and to Ecuador, and I broke a front teeth and need dental work fast. I wrote to my embassy expecting some kind of reference and the reply, in bad English, was that they had no references. This is not normal. Can anyone recommend a good dentist or advise me on how to get in touch with some kind of American (or European) citizens' groups in Quito? This is urgent, thank you!

11 Answers Feb 11, 2016 at 1:26 PM
    • Drive or driver

Ecuador Jan 23, 2016 at 7:09 AM

My husband and I will be in Ecuador in February. We are not familiar with the road conditions or traffic. We don't have the time to take busses so we either need to drive or hire a driver (very expensive). We will be traveling from Quito to Otavalo, (flying from Quito to Cuenca), Cuenca to Canoa and then back to Quito. We have driven in many countries, but wanted your thoughts regarding driving in Ecuador.

8 Answers Jan 24, 2016 at 10:47 AM
    • CheekyMnky's Profile Photo

plane/ boat / park/ guide rates to the inlands

Isla San Cristóbal Jan 9, 2016 at 3:10 PM

Ive read the fees from 2004. this' 2016
      How much should I expect to spend for a 7 visit from Ecuador out to Galapagos inlands?
      Anything negotiable, no need for a SCUBA certificate-will bring my own snorkel gear. and very frugal accommodations are okay.

it looks as if it would be an earth shattering experience, but I dont want to live in a box upon my return!

2 Answers Apr 12, 2016 at 9:52 PM
    • Proposed Itinerary

Ecuador Jan 5, 2016 at 10:57 AM

With your help (thank you) I have put together an nine day itinerary for our February trip to Ecuador. After taking a look please let me know if this looks reasonable given travel times within the country:
      Feb 9 night spent in Quito (driver to Cotacachi)
      Feb 10, 11, 12 in Cotacachi (and exploring this area) (Fly to Cuenca)
      Feb 13, 14 in Cuenca (driver ????? car rental???? to Montanita)
      Feb 15, 16 in Canoa and Montanita (driver ?????? to Quito)
      Feb 17 in Quito and fly home the 18
      If you have a driver you really liked please let me know. We will be staying in VRBO/airbnb accommodations throughout except in Quito where we will stay in a hotel close to the airport - any recommendations?
      Thanks to everyone who shared your experiences with me. They were of such help.

12 Answers Jan 6, 2016 at 11:15 AM