change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Wooden houses

Puerto Plata Nov 26, 2016 at 5:30 PM

I was on a tour of the city of Puerto Plata and the guide (named Jesus) spoke English but with an accent. He said something that I didn't quite understand. It was something to the effect that if you didn't use wood for your house that you had to pay two fees, one to the governor. I have not been able to find anything about this on the internet. I asked the guy who runs the tour agency and his response was

"I told to Jesus about your restlessness. I am sendimg you a Link where you can see some of our vitoriana Houses, and can read a little bit of the history, but you have to translate to english."

diariolibre.com/m/noticias/l...

I looked at this website and translated some of it, but it appears to be mostly an argument about whether they should call the wooden houses with the gingerbread trim 'Victorian' or some other term - because apparently Victorian is a bourgeois European type architecture.

Can anyone think of what the guide was trying to say or the basic story behind it?

more
    • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Wooden houses

Puerto Plata Nov 26, 2016 at 5:30 PM

I was on a tour of the city of Puerto Plata and the guide (named Jesus) spoke English but with an accent. He said something that I didn't quite understand. It was something to the effect that if you didn't use wood for your house that you had to pay two fees, one to the governor. I have not been able to find anything about this on the internet. I asked the guy who runs the tour agency and his response was

"I told to Jesus about your restlessness. I am sendimg you a Link where you can see some of our vitoriana Houses, and can read a little bit of the history, but you have to translate to english."

diariolibre.com/m/noticias/l...

I looked at this website and translated some of it, but it appears to be mostly an argument about whether they should call the wooden houses with the gingerbread trim 'Victorian' or some other term - because apparently Victorian is a bourgeois European type architecture.

Can anyone think of what the guide was trying to say or the basic story behind it?

2 Answers Dec 1, 2016 at 12:16 PM
    • November-December weather

Punta Cana Sep 27, 2016 at 9:33 PM

I'm trying to plan our honeymoon and would like to go right after our wedding which is in November but worried about the tail end of hurricane season. We are really wanting to enjoy the beach/sunshine and golf. Is this a sketchy time of the year weather wise to travel to Punta Cana?

2 Answers Sep 28, 2016 at 11:41 AM
    • lapsycrafter's Profile Photo

Snowbirds 2017

Punta Cana Aug 16, 2016 at 10:22 AM

My husband and I will be staying in a condo at Serena Village from Jan.2017 to April 2017.
      Any other snowbirds staying there?

• Safety and weather

Punta Cana Aug 6, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Traveling to Punta Cana the end of January, is the weather warm enough to swim in the ocean/ pools?
      We are staying at the Majestic Colonial is it safe to take taxis to other locations?

2 Answers Aug 13, 2016 at 12:10 PM
    • Punta Cana 2016 seaweed

Punta Cana Jul 31, 2016 at 7:20 AM

Has anyone been to Punta Cana this year (2016)? Just wondering what the seaweed situation is. Last year (2015) it was horrible. It was hard to get into the ocean and walk on the beach. Though the grounds keepers jelly cleaning all day.

1 Answer Jul 31, 2016 at 7:27 AM
    • Sudsfi's Profile Photo

Cabarete in February

Dominican Republic Jul 31, 2016 at 4:09 AM

Hi All
      Just retired a few years ago and now my wife and I are starting to travel. We have booked a condo for the month of February.
      I know it is very popular for all water sports but what activities should we look into?
      Would like to take a few items for people who live there that make our stay enjoyable. What to bring?
      We live in Canada, what should we bring that is difficult to get there?

Thank you

3 Answers Aug 1, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    • Punta Cana in early October to mid?

Punta Cana Jul 30, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Has anyone been to Punta Cana in early - mid October? Just wondering if that is still a good time to vacation there during that time of the year.

4 Answers Jul 30, 2016 at 2:54 PM
    • Santo Domingo to Jamaika

Santo Domingo May 15, 2016 at 10:49 AM

¿Se toma un ferry desde Santo Domingo a Jamaica? ¿Dónde está el calendario y los precios?

3 Answers Aug 13, 2016 at 12:11 PM
    • Rental car

Punta Cana May 8, 2016 at 11:06 PM

My family of 4 are planning to stay in all inclusive Majestic Colonial resort for 5 days. My question is - Is it really necessary to rent a car for 5 days versus hailing a taxi for transportation. Most of our days will be consumed in the resort not unless there are some famous places( a must see while in Punta Cana) that we have to use a car for convenience? Is it worth also to rent a car basing from the scenario I stated. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 Answer Jul 8, 2016 at 8:28 AM
    • ZOEGV's Profile Photo

Casa De Campo

Dominican Republic Apr 29, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Does anyone have a review/opinion after their stay at Casa De Campo? Looks great.
      We may go for a few days at the end of June.
      Thanks.

1 Answer Apr 29, 2016 at 11:01 AM
    • Zika Virus

Punta Cana Apr 11, 2016 at 8:21 PM

With the news of Zika virus now potentially affecting adults, would travel to Punta Cana be unadvised? Would this be any different for the month of August?

2 Answers Apr 12, 2016 at 2:49 AM
    • bus santo domingo punta cana?

Dominican Republic Mar 21, 2016 at 1:41 PM

quería saber si se puede comprar un pasaje de autobus santo domingo a punta cana por internet y si es posible comprarlo tambien en la zona colonial de la ciudad

is it possible to buy a bus ticket from santo domingo to punta cana online? are there places to buy it in the colonial area?

1 Answer Mar 21, 2016 at 4:15 PM
    • best area to stay in santo domingo?

Dominican Republic Feb 22, 2016 at 2:59 PM

i'm going 2 nights to santo domingo to see the city, specially the colonial area, what's the best and safest for the hotel?

• Woonelly's Profile Photo

transportation from airport to resort

La Romana Feb 21, 2016 at 7:35 PM

we are flying into Santo Domingo airport but staying in a resort La Romana. Whats the best way to get to our resort? Is taxi expensive or cheap?

2 Answers Feb 23, 2016 at 7:52 PM
    • Woonelly's Profile Photo

puerto plata or punta cana?

Puerto Plata Feb 2, 2016 at 8:22 PM

looking for a mini getaway long wknd in april 14-17. Where should I go Puerto Plata or Punta Cana? Looking for all inclusive resorts.

4 Answers Feb 3, 2016 at 12:00 PM
    • grocery stores

Punta Cana Jan 28, 2016 at 4:08 PM

My son and his university buddies are going to Punta Cana in March. They are staying in a condo. I went last year and stayed for six weeks. We found the grocery stores 3 times the price of ours in Canada. I know that the people that work in Punta Cana cannot afford to live their let alone buy their food . They have to eat. Does anyone know where they buy their food ? that is where I want my son and his friends to stalk up > They simply cannot afford to sell their kidneys to buy from the Punta Cana grocery stores ....haha
      Please anyone , I would love your feedback

3 Answers Feb 14, 2016 at 6:10 AM
    • bettyburton's Profile Photo

Golfing around Punta Cana

Punta Cana Jan 25, 2016 at 8:11 AM

We are looking at all-inclusive resorts that include a golfing package.
      We are looking at the Catalonia Bavaro resort.
      Has anyone golfed in Punta Cana recently and what are the costs as well as any tips you might have.
      Is golf is included are there any additional costs??
      Any advise would be helpful.
      Thanks

1 Answer Jan 25, 2016 at 9:56 AM
    • What is the average tip to give in a Dominican resort ?

Punta Cana Jan 13, 2016 at 1:31 PM

What is the average tip to give in a Dominican resort ?

• Transportation from the airport to hotel

La Romana Jan 13, 2016 at 1:07 PM

How far is the La Romana airport from Dreams LaRomana?

• health risks

La Romana Jan 12, 2016 at 6:56 PM

I've booked a trip to La Romana from Toronto, Canada and our local public health unit is saying that this destination is a high risk for malaria and hep A & B - also advised that we only drink bottled water. Has anyone heard these warnings and/or had one of these illnesses after visiting?

2 Answers Jan 13, 2016 at 9:41 AM
    • Jet skiing in D.R?

Dominican Republic Dec 30, 2015 at 6:51 AM

Hello fellow travelers!

I read somewhere that jet skiis are not allowed in Punta Cana due to safety. Is this true? If so, is there somewhere else in D.R. that you can recommend that allows jet skis?

Thank you!

• PUNTA CANA

Punta Cana Dec 29, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Who can we get to take us on a private tour of the area around Punta Cana for a day or two.

• electricity in bayahibe

Dominican Republic Dec 13, 2015 at 1:13 PM

do i need an adapter in the dominican republic for my phone charger, coffee pot, hair dryer? i'm from california... thanks ! it says online the electricity is the same as the US, is this correct?

1 Answer Dec 13, 2015 at 3:11 PM
    • Riu Barvo resort

Punta Cana Nov 30, 2015 at 5:05 PM

How far is the airport as well as the city center from the resort?

1 Answer Nov 30, 2015 at 6:16 PM
    • nightile for a single mature female who is a little shy

Puerto Plata Nov 28, 2015 at 10:06 AM

i've been in Puerto Plata for 3 months now living with mum and never been able to go for a night out alone; I am a little tense and introverted when it comes to socialize but at the same time im too young to just sit in front of the telly every single night. the place is slightly intimidating at night coz of the obvious attention, taxi offers, etc etc i just wanna be sure where im heading to before i venture out, im in puerto plata city centre and i want a place where i can feel welcome and relaxed maybe a little excited but not overwhelmed by sanky pankies or something like that..can anyone help at all i would be extremely grateful! thanx

• food and water

Punta Cana Nov 11, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Any local restaurants to eat traditional food and should i bring my own water while visiting punta cana

1 Answer Nov 17, 2015 at 1:43 PM
    • Need answers fast!!

Santo Domingo Nov 6, 2015 at 7:54 PM

I'm 19 years old and I am from the very north part of the US. I'm moving to Santo Domingo in March and for school and I need a few answers. What is life like there? What is the crime rate and will I be vulnerable to it? Should I find a roommate or get my own place? I recently started talking to a guy that lives in Santo Domingo and he is saying that he wants to marry me, should I believe him? I speak and understand the very basics of Spanish... Will I catch on soon? Last but not least.... Am I making a mistake by moving to Santo Domingo? I've always been so interested in the Dominican republic and now that I have the chance to go to school down there and I have met a guy from there I feel like this is the best opportunity. But I sometimes get that feeling of doubt. Any answers to my questions or any type of advice would be so appreciated !! 

6 Answers Nov 8, 2015 at 12:02 AM
    • Horseback Riding

Punta Cana Oct 22, 2015 at 8:57 PM

We went to Jamaica a few years ago and my husband and I went horseback riding where the horses actually swimmed in the water while we were riding on them. Does Punta Cana have this type of excursion?

2 Answers Jul 17, 2016 at 6:02 PM
    • Mgashark's Profile Photo

Coming tomorrow to punta cana(28.9.15)

Punta Cana Sep 27, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Is there special event or recommended things to do ?

• Where can I take private dance lessons in Santo Domingo and also Puerto Plata

Santo Domingo Sep 10, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Where can I take private dance lessons in Santo Domingo and also Puerto Plata

1 Answer Sep 10, 2015 at 9:42 PM