VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Cumbria Travel Answers

change location
MamguIz&Will's Profile Photo

Coast to coast bike ride (Cumbria toTyne & Wear)

by MamguIz&Will Online Now Sep 30, 2006 at 6:57 AM

My husband has decided to do the Coast to coast bike ride next May. He's 56 years old and reasonably fit. He has a new 'retro' type bike (not a mountain bike). He would like to receive any info from anyone who has done it, especially suggestions as to how far he could expect to go in one day, (at a leisurely pace) and recommended places to stay. He was thinking in terms of 20 - 25 miles miles a day is this reasonable?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: Coast to coast bike ride (Cumbria toTyne & Wear)

by Dunx Online Now Oct 2, 2006 at 5:41 AM

This is quite a difficult question to provide an accurate answer to but, as a regular cyclist, I'll have a go.

First off, I'll assume that as your OH is reasonably fit but doesn't (yet) know a comfortable mileage for a day, that he doesn't currently cycle much. A key factor in comfortable cycling is, how shall I put this, how accustomed the posterior is to being on a saddle for any length of time.

Without any practice you may find that the legs, and stamina, are easily capable of 50 miles in a day but that the backside will complain loudly after only an hour. I can only suggest getting some practice in (needn't be energetic) and this will give a clearer idea of a daily mileage figure.

I would think that a comfortable and sustainable average speed on that type of bike would be around 10mph, so it then becomes a question of how long you can stay in the saddle. Two tips:
    1. Buy some undershorts with a reinforced seat, and
    2. Include some inclines in practice rides, otherwise the first you come to will wipe you out !

Hope that helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines