change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• skyeman887's Profile Photo

Walking/Historical Guide(s)

by skyeman887 Online Now Sep 27, 2016 at 2:03 PM

I have booked a last minute holiday to Crete 11-19 Oct 16, staying in Bali, and I'm looking for a guide(s) to show me the local historical sites and possibly climb to the top of the island.

3 Answers Oct 5, 2016 at 1:32 PM
    • tourist information in chinia

by AndreFaucher Online Now Sep 23, 2016 at 9:56 AM

We will visit chania in November during our cruise (Souda port). Where is the tourist information center to get maps and information?
      thank you

3 Answers Sep 23, 2016 at 10:29 AM
    • Transport from and to Agii Apostoli

by castwar Online Now Sep 12, 2016 at 1:43 AM

I plan to holiday in Agii Apostoli, to the west of Chania, for 7 days in September. I do not have a car.

What is the situation with public transportation (eg buses) if we want to travel along that coastline to the west of Chania? Is it for example reliable and frequent? And are the local taxis expensive?

In addition, if we want to go on day excursions to Agria Gramvousa Island and to Elafonissi Beach and Island, from Agii Apostoli, what is the best way?

Thank you.

• footstool's Profile Photo

Hiking the Samaria

by footstool Online Now Sep 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Hi there. Will I be able to find walking sticks, such as tree branches, at the top of the gorge in Omalos, before I start the hike down to the sea? I really do not want to carry around expensive aluminum "ski poles" all over Europe. If not, should I take the "lazy hike" (going Up the Samaria to the narrow point, then returning down) the day before the downhill hike, so I can certainly find discarded tree branches?! And any advice re hiking is appreciated. I'm in my late 50s, and I consider myself an advanced beginner with good lower body strength. Thanks!

10 Answers Sep 13, 2016 at 11:10 AM
    • 10 day itinerary for solo traveller 35 year old in Crete

by LeilaT Online Now Aug 17, 2016 at 6:49 AM

Hi guys

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me come up with an itinerary please.

I am a single traveller, age 35 and I have just booked my flights to Crete for a ten day trip! Very exciting.

I am struggling to come up with a viable itinerary for my trip and would love any advice from experts on the island.

What I am after:

I like a variety when on holiday, I like to cover a lot of ground and see lots but also have some beach/chill days inbetween. So I want to include a town, villages, the best beaches and harbours/ports.

I love photography, village life and would love to ge some typical Cretian snaps.

I love history, beaches, port towns, hidden gems such as old villages.

I will be on public transport.

I dont like mega touristy places but wouldnt mind seeing this for a small amount of time.

Restaurants cafes and bars are a must.

Happy to stay in smaller cheaper places rather than big hotels.

Would prefer to stay near a beach for most of the trip.

Want to include some typical Cretian villages.

This is my base itinerary below, I have a number of days left over and I am unsure whether it is worth me going to Loutro for a few days?

Really I would like to get an idea of the most scenic places to visit which arent completely 'dead'

Will I have enough time in Chania and Heraklion or have i given them too many days?

I have read about Chrissi Island and would love to have this in the itinerary, but perhaps stay somewhere in the south then head over.

I have read so much and I am so confused by the suggestions, there are so many places to chose from! Any help is gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance :)

26 SEP DAY 3 HERAKLION - Palace of Knossos, Heraklion Archaeological Museum OR Historical Museum of Crete

27 SEP DAY 4 HERAKLION - Spinalonga day trip 40 euros

28 SEP DAY 5

29 SEP DAY 6

30 SEP DAY 7 LOUTRO

01 OCT DAY 8 LOUTRO

02 OCT DAY 9 CHANIA - Chania Old Town and Old Venetian Harbour

03 OCT DAY 10 CHANIA - Balos Beach and Lagoon Trip

04 OCT DAY 11 CHANIA FLY AT 20:25

6 Answers Aug 31, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Samaria Gorge

by footstool Online Now Aug 15, 2016 at 3:03 PM

In the second week of October, we want to go to the gorge by either car or bus. We can take a tourist bus day trip, via to and from the site? And take the ferry, from Agia Roumeli to Sfakia, to meet the bus ride back to Chania, all in one day? Yes If we choose to drive to Omalos, does it become more complicated: staying the night in Roumeli, taking the ferry to Sfakia late the next day, staying overnight there, and then a cab, back to the car, on the third day? We are a couple in our late 50s, no kids. Thanks!

8 Answers Aug 16, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Quiet locations on Crete

by footstool Online Now Jul 25, 2016 at 7:38 PM

We're a couple in our late 50s who seek hotels Away from "party spots," loud sections of town etc, although we are not ready for the mortuary! We're planning to drive around the island in 7 nights, stay in different towns, but we're flying into and out of Chania. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks alot!

12 Answers Aug 2, 2016 at 11:17 AM

October car rental

by footstool Online Now Jul 23, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Hi guys. We'll be there for the second week of October, arriving & leaving from Chania. Should we not rent online, but wait until we arrive? Also, we can only drive an automatic, not a stick. What do you suggest? Thanks again!

5 Answers Sep 14, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Athens to Crete in October

by footstool Online Now Jul 12, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Take hydrofoil or plane? Time and costs? Thank you.

4 Answers Jul 14, 2016 at 1:26 PM
    • Car rental

by Bambi14 Online Now Jun 19, 2016 at 12:26 AM

We will be travelling to Rethymnon at 21 of jun. Where should i rent a car in chania airport or near to get a cheap and good deal?

2 Answers Jun 21, 2016 at 3:38 PM
    • What to pack

by Gobrien666 Online Now Jun 7, 2016 at 4:04 AM

What clothes should a couple in their early 30's pack for a holiday to Crete the end of June?

5 Answers Jun 30, 2016 at 1:28 PM
    • Bus Services

by mickngill Online Now Apr 13, 2016 at 1:29 PM

We will be travelling to Maleme for a fortnights holiday the last two weeks in June. It is our first time in crete and wanted to know if anyone can point us in the right direction regarding bus services. Times, frequency, etc from Maleme to Chania and surrounding areas.

6 Answers Apr 17, 2016 at 7:55 PM
    • Travelling to Crete

by anjana22 Online Now Apr 6, 2016 at 4:56 AM

Hi, My husband and i are travelling to Crete in June first week. Where should we stay?

8 Answers May 14, 2016 at 2:38 PM
    • JohanIsWeg's Profile Photo

License requirements for scooter in Crete

by JohanIsWeg Online Now Apr 4, 2016 at 7:50 PM

I am an Australian citizen with an open C-class license. This license authorises me to ride a 50cc scooter. Will I lawfully be allowed to ride a scooter in Crete if I have an International Drivers License translation of my Australian drivers license?

5 Answers May 13, 2016 at 8:15 AM
    • bronas's Profile Photo

Travelling overland to Chania from Ireland

by bronas Online Now Apr 4, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Hi, we are hoping to drivel from Ireland to Chania next year, has anybody made this journey and have you any tips re routes, ferries, places to visit etc.? Thanks in advance!

1 Answer Apr 4, 2016 at 12:16 PM
    • etfromnc's Profile Photo

Auto rental

by etfromnc Online Now Mar 21, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Does anyone have any comments or thoughts on renting a car at the Heraklion Airport?

8 Answers May 11, 2016 at 3:34 PM
    • etfromnc's Profile Photo

by etfromnc Online Now Mar 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

After having lived on the island of Crete for almost two years, I am about to make my second trip back next month. When I returned in 1994, I did virtually everything wrong.
      Hopefully, I will do a bit better this time. I hope to be there for a week and would DEARLY LOVE to connect with some of the people with whom I worked at Iraklion Air Station in the early to mid-1970s. If anyone on VT knows of any Greeks, Brits, or Americans who worked at IAS during the '70s, please send me their names and contact information or ask them to contact me at
      Some of the names that I remember include Bobby Samalodas, Ken Bardsley, Eva Ilaridou, Joseph Perron, Mike at the Officers Club, and Mike's in Hersonnisos. I lived in Kokkini Hani and was very impressed to discover that my home had been replaced by a very posh resort when I returned in '94.

5 Answers Mar 1, 2016 at 11:37 PM
    • Mardai24's Profile Photo

Relaxing, quiet,

by Mardai24 Online Now Jan 27, 2016 at 4:23 AM

We're two active, mid 50's who like a relaxing holiday is small, local places by the sea. Crete is our plan for 2016. Ideally, somewhere with some bars and restaurants and a lack of nightclubs! We plan to travel in September, and go self catering if possible. We're not high maintenance, so long as the place is clean, comfortable and close to amenities, we're good to go. We like to walk, cycle, use local transport and generally explore. We've had a couple of suggestions, Sissi being one. Most of the reviews I read, though, are quite a few years old. Anyone visited recently, got any suggestions?

My wish list (but realise I can't have everything) is: Clean, self catering apartment, sea/harbour view, local/small town/village, bars/tavernas, supermarket, local restaurants.

8 Answers May 30, 2016 at 10:25 PM
    • Air Minoan has any body travel with them?

by zohar989 Online Now Sep 6, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Can someone tell about their experience of the flight?

• Night life in Crete

by Yoohoo25 Online Now Aug 28, 2015 at 4:44 AM

i am planing to come with my friends to crete in late September
      We are age between 30 to 40 mens .

Looking for night clubs and have fun in Crete .
      Any ideas ??
      Also we are looking for villa with private swimming pool for more fun any ideas ??

8 Answers Sep 1, 2015 at 8:43 AM
    • Chania/Platanias : Help, what to see and where to eat and so on..

by Eva.B.S Online Now Aug 3, 2015 at 2:15 AM

Hi all, hope to get some inspiration here, we are a family of 6, (age: 9-5-17-41-47and 76)whos going to Crete in september. We are staying at a hotel in patanias,
      we have been talking about going to Knossos, and to the maritime museum in chania, and to the church near the harbor in chania(been told its very beautiful) Do any have any other idea of what would bee good to visit/see?

shopping, Where is the best? Is there an photo/electrical shop(where to buy equipment, memory cards etc)

Where is it good to go and eat for lunch and dinner, ?

We have been searching for guides to show us chania, but they are way to expensife, do any have any recomendations for a costable guide?

X my fingers for some answears :-)

6 Answers Aug 4, 2015 at 6:07 AM
    • rl1steve's Profile Photo

Card or cash

by rl1steve Online Now Jul 16, 2015 at 10:24 AM

We are going to Crete in September, we have been advised to take cash but I have seen that any purchases over 70€ have to be paid by card. Advice please

7 Answers May 12, 2016 at 1:40 AM
    • alectrevor's Profile Photo

Buses Gouves to Heraklion

by alectrevor Online Now Jul 13, 2015 at 1:26 AM

I believe there are buses on the main road Gouves, if so how frequent do they run, and do you pay the driver. Thanks.

1 Answer Jul 13, 2015 at 5:42 AM
    • Euro crisis

by crazymum Online Now Jul 6, 2015 at 12:19 AM

Can anyone on Crete please advise me of the current situation as to what is happening as I've got a Son on holiday. So much hype is in the media that I really do no know what to believe. Please no speculation just hard facts from Crete - we've heard stories that food and pharmaceutical supplies are running out - is this true?? Many thanks

4 Answers Jul 12, 2015 at 11:59 AM
    • Current situation with banks in Crete

by crazymum Online Now Jun 29, 2015 at 1:16 AM

My Son is departing for Crete next Sunday and as parents we're worried about the current currency situation. He does not have a credit card only a bank debit card. Which currency is preferred - is it still Euros or would US$ GB £ be a better option. If local people could keep me updated I would be much appreciated. Much has been heard about what is happening in Athens but how much is this directly affecting Crete. I note that the banks will be closed for at least a week - difficult to distinguish fact from fiction in the media

Hoping someone can keep a worried mum up-dated. Please no generalised info - hard facts as to what is happening.
      Many thanks

3 Answers Jun 29, 2015 at 4:36 AM
    • gouves or malia ?

by clo50 Online Now Jun 27, 2015 at 6:02 AM

I am going in the end of september for 5 days. not interrested in parties. ( we are daughter and mother) just want to relax on the beach and take a trip (independant) to spinalonga. will most of the place closed this time ?what is the best choice for us ?

5 Answers Jun 27, 2015 at 5:19 PM
    • Tertius's Profile Photo

Is there a lot of thorns on Crete - want to cycle, but not be fixing punctures

by Tertius Online Now Jun 25, 2015 at 4:31 AM

I am coming to Crete in July - want to cycle as much as possible, but worried that I am going to be fixing punctures for most of my holiday ? The videos I see gives idea that a lot of dry bushes etc would leave lots of sharp thorns, sticks for my tires. Dis anyone of you cycle / walk a lot around Crete ? South, Central, close to Heraklion as well.

4 Answers Jun 25, 2015 at 6:40 AM
    • Car Rental

by ctsohas Online Now Jun 22, 2015 at 4:07 PM

Should I rent car or take public transportation?

3 Answers Jul 8, 2015 at 4:48 PM
    • piano_007's Profile Photo

What to see and how to go ?

by piano_007 Online Now Jun 9, 2015 at 9:48 AM

I'm going to Crete for 9 days-(arrival july 3 th) .(Couple 65+) booked hotel via (Belgian)travel agency in Anissaras (Chrissy Amoudia). but we want to see some history ( + cathedral Heraklion, Knossos.....) We normally travel: or with public transport or with rental car. I found one daily bus to (9.00 am ) and from (1.45 h pm) Heraklion that stops at the hotel. So I think we'd better rent a car. Any suggestions? or are there more buses available ? Which places are also interesting ? (within 50 km).As I said we are 65+, I'm 67, my husband 70, we still want to travel and discover new places, but we do need a few days more to realise it. (both have back- and heart problems, but we still don't give up !) who wants to give an (ancient) couple a good advice ?

6 Answers Jun 14, 2015 at 11:33 PM
    • Where to base

by ChristineH18 Online Now May 30, 2015 at 10:06 AM

We are a well travelled 60+couple who travel usually by public transport. We love history and sightseeing, where would we best to base to explore the most. We are completely easy and have only been to Rhodes. Thanks Chris

15 Answers Jul 8, 2015 at 4:57 PM