VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Corniglia Travel Answers

change location

Guvano Beach

by ARyan86 Online Now Feb 10, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Hi everyone,

I am planing a trip to the Cinque Terre in June. My question is about Guvano, the (from what I read) "clothing optional" beach. I am going on this trip with a beach-lover and I read this beach is less touristy so I think it would be great to check out. Plus our hostel is in Corniglia. However, I am not comfortable going without a swimsuit. Honestly, I will probably even be self-conscious in a swimsuit. Am I going to be the only clothed person there? I've heard this beach called a clothing optional as well as a nude beach.

Thank you for the help:)

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • EllenH's Profile Photo

Re: Guvano Beach

by EllenH Online Now Feb 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM

We hiked by above in November and obviously no one was there but it did seem obvious that was that beach, it looked like quite a hike to get there. In June, if everyone else was nude I suppose you would stand out more in your bathing suit and I think you would see that no one really cares. Check it out and if you feel awkward then do not stay, pretty easy. The cinque terre is a most amazing place (in November anyway) I understand tourists are heavy in the summer, but I LOVE it in the fall, been three times.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Guvano Beach

by ARyan86 Online Now Feb 10, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I'm so interested to here that you think it is beautiful in the Fall. Generally, I would prefer to travel in the Fall if I could (my favorite season), but I wouldn't have considered the Cinque Terre for the off season.

Thanks for the advice!!!!

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

by swissfondue Online Now Feb 10, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I can second the recommendation about travelling to the Cinque Terre out of the peak summer season.

I did the hikes a couple of years ago in the first week of November. The trails were peppered with hikers but in some places I only had the amazing scenery for company. When I set off at 9am it was coolish but the day warmed up to be simply gorgeous, not too hot but probably not warm enough to swim.

Having said all that I believe I was just lucky with the fantastic weather but I would imagine it is pretty hot in the height of summer. The nice thing about visiting in summer though is having the opportunity to travel between the villages by boat.

A lot of things were shut down for the winter season when I was there.

• EllenH's Profile Photo

by EllenH Online Now Feb 10, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Glad you checked back in since you just joined, always a good thing. So, not much info about the nude beach but yea, hiking the trails without the crowds is a good thing and watching them harvest the olives was also quite cool. There is so much more to the cinque terra then the Guvano beach, there was a tunnel you had to go through to get to it, we do remember that.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines