Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Older Times in Drogheda

Drogheda Oct 9, 2016 at 5:50 PM

When I was a child my father took us to Ireland where he was from.
      he took us to see our uncle (his older brother) Patrick who lived in Drogheda but the pics I see are not how I remember it, it may be that it was on the outskirts I remember is was very quiet not many dwellings in fact my uncles home was very basic single story dwelling and it had an old stem roller outside.
      Just wondered if anyone has any clue as to where exactly this might have been long shot I know!

• coloradopair's Profile Photo

Rent or lease car for 3 weeks in Ireland

Ireland Sep 21, 2016 at 4:03 PM

We are going to Ireland for three weeks in November (I know not the best weather ! ) I have heard that leasing a car is often less expensive than renting. Also with a lease insurance is often included and the taxes are far less than renting. Anyone have experience with leasing or other rent/lease advice?

We arrive in Dublin and will spend most of our time in the North. This is our fourth trip to Ireland. Most of the other trips we didn't need a car. The last time we rented a car there was many years ago in the early 70's.

Any advice is much appreciated.
      Jim and Barbara

• coloradopair's Profile Photo

Train from Dublin to Belfast

Ireland Oct 5, 2016 at 10:09 AM

We are going to Ireland in November and will be taking Irish Rail train from Dublin to Belfast. Is it necessary or advantageous to book those tickets in advance? I am a little hesitant to do that and lock into a departure time because we will be taking a bus from Dublin Airport to the Dublin train station. While flight is sceduled to arrive at 7AM who knows when we would eventually get to the station. I am thinking it might just be easier to buy tickets at train station. Would the Dubin-Belfast train be that crowded in November? Any advice would be most welcome.

• Boat-Tour Cork harbour

by Schulzi Online Now May 4, 2016 at 6:05 AM

I am looking for a boat-tour from cork or near by. Also maybe even from cobh or crosshaven
      I want to see something from the river lee and the cork harbour, the area near cobh, and - if its possible - maybe even a little from the coast of the Celtic sea.

Do you know some providers of such tours?

In the web, i only found
      Cork Sea Safari (, but need to be a minimum of 10 persons.
      South Cost Tours (, but need to be a minimum of 5 persons.

But we are only two people.
      Can you help me to find providers of boat-tours, that are something similar like this?

with many thanks and greetings

2 Answers May 4, 2016 at 10:11 AM
    • NewYorktoDublin's Profile Photo

Flooding in cork

by NewYorktoDublin Online Now Apr 13, 2016 at 1:54 PM

Was going to take a day trip to cork May 3rd. Can't seem to find an update on the flooding situation . Poor people of cork. 

2 Answers Apr 14, 2016 at 1:01 AM
    • Kerrydirector's Profile Photo

Best seats in cork opera house

by Kerrydirector Online Now Jan 5, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Hello can someone please tell me the best seats in cork opera house I want to book tickets for colm wilkinson

1 Answer Jan 8, 2016 at 6:05 PM
    • KathyS52's Profile Photo

Industrial school or Abbey?

by KathyS52 Online Now Mar 14, 2015 at 4:33 PM

My grandmother was born about 1887 in Cork. She stayed in either an industrial school or orphanage in Cork for several years, raised by nuns. I am looking for this school or orphanage/abbey? Does anyone know of such a place in Cork? My email is

1 Answer Mar 15, 2015 at 1:42 AM
    • Charlie's Bar

by jlpfaffly Online Now Dec 18, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I visited Charlie's Bar back in the early 80's. I would like to go back there if it is still open. I'm from Texas and hope to make a trip to Ireland in 2015. A visit to Cork is in my plans. Who can tell me about Charlie's Bar?

2 Answers Dec 18, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    • Charlies Bar, Cork, Ireland

by jlpfaffly Online Now Dec 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I visited this bar back in the 80's. Is it still open and would someone familar with the bar contact me.?

8 Answers Dec 19, 2014 at 9:15 AM
    • Family weekend away

by fayewalsh Online Now Nov 11, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I am going to Cork at the weekend with my two kids aged 1 and 4
      We are doing Fota wildlife park on the Sunday but we are at a loss for what to do on Saturday. All suggestions greatly appreciated
      Thank You

2 Answers Nov 11, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    • Print of Men of The South

by pjcone Online Now Aug 13, 2014 at 3:59 AM

Do you have or do you know of anywhere I might get a print/copy of Sean Keatings "Men of the South"

1 Answer Aug 13, 2014 at 4:35 AM
    • Attractions in cork

by Cltully Online Now Jul 27, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Planning a trip to cork in August. We would like to view the coast, is there a particular route we could take?? Would it be better to base ourselves in the city and go to the coast or stay some where south of the city?? Going for four days!

2 Answers Jul 27, 2014 at 3:18 PM
    • About tax and living cost

by buressureyvette Online Now Feb 12, 2014 at 8:49 AM

I have got a job offer from cork,Ireland and will get salary approx. 3,600 euros/month. Could anyone let me know (1) how much will be net income after reduction of all type taxes etc. (2) and living cost (for a single person including rent house (1 bed apartment is fine), food, etc)

3 Answers Feb 14, 2014 at 1:05 PM
    • lea3333's Profile Photo

Party New Years Eve in Cork

by lea3333 Online Now Dec 8, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Hi everyone! :) I'm Léa from France, and with some friends from other countries in Europe, we are going to Ireland for the coming holidays. We would love to do new years eve in Cork. We'll go to pubs in the evening then night clubs. But then I wonder if there would be some places open until very late (i mean until it's day time again) cause we plan to really party all night. Can you name some places which will be open all night long that night ?
      Thank you !!!

1 Answer Jan 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM
    • Cork City Gaol

by power92 Online Now Oct 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Is the gaol in cork worth visiting? What is there to see there?

2 Answers Oct 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    • Free Parking walking distance from Cork Kent train station

by doliprene Online Now Sep 29, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Hi, anyone know of free parking walking distance from Cork Kent train station? I am not in a hurry - can walk up to an hour. Thanks

1 Answer Sep 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    • Pedestrian Bridge

by michellegreene Online Now Sep 18, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Hi I was wondering I seen a programme on tv about cork and there was a bridge over looking the sea, could you please tell me the name of same please.
      Thank You.

3 Answers Sep 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    • Cork late night

by TeaJar Online Now Aug 28, 2013 at 5:09 AM

I am planning a trip to Cork next August with a group of friends. Energetic party goers on the trip will be disappointed if the city shuts down by 2am. Can anyone tell me how long and where one can keep the party going in Cork?

Also, the trip will encompass a Sunday. Can Sunday be a lively evening in Cork?

3 Answers Oct 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    • Fota Island Sheraton

by linneak Online Now Jul 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM

We will be staying at the golf resort for a week, playing three days and exploring Cork, Kinsale, Cobh on the other days. One reason we picked the resort was the close proximity to the rail station, however we thought we'd be able to walk from the hotel to the rail station. Does anyone know if this is possible? Does the hotel have a shuttle, when does it run? If we spend the day in Cork will we be able to get back in the evening after dinner? or will we need a car after all?

2 Answers Sep 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    • dublin to cork

by tazlfc Online Now May 14, 2013 at 7:46 AM

am coming over by ferry to dublin whats the best way to cork

4 Answers May 15, 2013 at 4:04 AM
    • cork

by jdgalli Online Now Apr 23, 2013 at 7:34 AM

what to see in cork

3 Answers Apr 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    • leah_7's Profile Photo

Where to say

by leah_7 Online Now Apr 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Hello, My GF and I will be hopefully driving to Cork from Belfast. We will have 6 days roughly from leaving Belfast August 4th, to Flying out to England August either 10 or 11 depending on what we find. Im looking for some help Itenerary wise with our time, I thought drive to the fartherst South and then Work back to Dublin (spending 1-2 days in Dublin?)
      What im looking for is:
      1) Where would you reccomend staying in Cork, moderate price good location
      2) I read you can stay in neat places like old castels and lighthouses etc...but cannot find further info?
      3) How to make the most out of our 4-5 days in the area, we dont mind travelling around and will hopefully have a car, perhaps we only stay 1 night or 2 in cork and then stay in Limrick or Killarny?

1 Answer Apr 21, 2013 at 2:23 AM
    • MontagS's Profile Photo

question about cost of living

by MontagS Online Now Aug 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Hi guys!!!I am passing some tests/interviews for a job in Cork.My salary will be about 1400 euros monthly.You think i could work it out and not live really poorly with this money in Cork?
      Thanks in advance!

25 Answers Aug 25, 2012 at 3:51 AM
    • JoP108's Profile Photo

Flights to Cork - but where to stay?

by JoP108 Online Now Aug 21, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I am travelling to Cork for 2 nights in October with my husband and 2 small children (5&3). I want to know where is best to stay so that there are things to do with the children but also where we can go out for a meal.

2 Answers Aug 21, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    • Limerick or Cork ?

by midnightfever Online Now Jul 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Hello everybody,

I have the choice between staying one night in Cork or in Limerick.

What would you recommend?

What is important to us:

budget accomodation
      good nightlife
      good choice of happy hours
      lower price level

Should we stay in Limerick or Cork for our last night?
      We have a rental car and need to be at Shannon airport by 3 pm, so I thought in case we stay at Cork we need to leave by noon?

Thank you and greetings!

1 Answer Jul 3, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    • 80's Music

by Kaz76 Online Now Jan 26, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Can anyone tell me a bar or nightclub in Cork that plays 80's music? Its for a hens party and thats the theme for the second night.

1 Answer Jan 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    • Football tickets

by celtic10 Online Now Apr 9, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Can anyone tell me where I might get a ticket to the Allianz Football Leage game Cork v Armagh tomorrow and how much it will cost.
      I'm from Australia and backpacking. Also can anyone tell me what the best way and best fare is from Dublin to Cork as I'm planning to leave Dublin in the morning. Also looking at cheap accommodation backpackers or B & B

2 Answers Apr 9, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    • House/Garage clubs in Cork City

by clifhanger_uk Online Now Jul 16, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Hi, I'm taking a sporting party of guys on tour to cork in a few weeks. Can anyone suggest any good house/garage clubs with good DJ's in Cork. We would like a place with a good vibe rather than the average cheesy tourist trash (if you know what I mean)..

Many thanks for any suggestions.

• Blackrock

by nadalert Online Now Jun 28, 2010 at 7:48 AM

Sorry last question...what is Blackrock like? I saw a lovely apartment in Beaumont but the surrounding area was not great. Is that a safe area? Also what is convent road in Blackrock like?

Thanks for your replies! :)

1 Answer Jun 29, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    • Areas Cork

by nadalert Online Now Jun 14, 2010 at 2:14 AM

I just wanted some information on other areas in Cork. How far is Douglas from the city centre? Would there be regular buses to and from and how long would it take?
      How far would Tivoli be from the city? And finally how far would Ballinlough be and is this a good area?

Thanks for your help!

1 Answer Jun 14, 2010 at 4:10 AM
    • Areas to Live in Cork City

by nadalert Online Now May 24, 2010 at 1:42 AM

I will be relocating to Cork and just wanted to get an idea on what areas to be looking at. I have seen accommodation on Farranlea Road, Cork City Centre and Blarney Street, Cork City Centre. What are these areas like?

Thanks in advance,

4 Answers May 25, 2010 at 1:36 AM

by friendly3330 Online Now Apr 9, 2010 at 12:11 PM

We are coming to Cork and would like to use an ATM there to get Euros.

Are there any BARCLAYS ATM MACHINES in Cork? If we use this machine then we do not have to pay any fee.

Thank you for the help........

• cork buses

by baaughenm Online Now Jul 27, 2009 at 6:40 AM

What buses run from the railway station into the city centre.. and at what times on a Saturday morning after 10 am and returning in the afternoon?

Does the Hop-on, hop-off bus pick up at the railway station?

4 Answers Mar 19, 2010 at 11:08 AM