VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
Churchill

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Weather April/May

Quebec Jan 6, 2017 at 12:21 PM

To those of you who have helped and advised with the NZ trip I'm grateful but we simply can't afford it - so we're heading back to Canada

Our rough proposed plan is to fly into Boston drive up through Lake Placid and on to Montreal/Ottawa/Quebec City -not sure if it's worth visiting Halifax so might well come back a more direct route. Thinking of visiting April/May but what about snowfall? All suggestions much appreciated - not into outdoor activities but very much folk music and historic sites - we've done Niagra

Also on my want to do list is to see the Canadian Mounted Police show - I'm visiting their website daily but from past experience is there liable to be a show in Ottawa at this time of year

more
    • Icefields Parkway in winter

Canada Dec 29, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Is there any public transport between Banff/Lake Louise and Jasper in the winter months?

more
    • 1st week in Feb

Vancouver Island Jan 17, 2017 at 5:17 AM

We have the chance to visit from London during 1st week in Feb. Probably not the best time to visit but its all we have. Will there be enough for us to do/see? Will we be able to drive around (Whistler?) or will the weather make that impossible? Grateful for your thoughts.

more
    • Dymphna1's Profile Photo

glass bridge

Canada 13 hours ago

I remember seeing that there is a glass bridge in either Jasper or Banif, but I can't recall the details. I had not paid much attention as I did not intend on going that way any time soon, but now I will be going to both this summer and am wondering where it is. Thanks

more
    • Visa Question

Canada Jan 2, 2017 at 11:02 AM

I will be flying from Vancouver to Vietnam, but my flight has two stop in China, 1 in Shanghai airport and connect flight to Kunming airport before fly out to Vietnam. My lay over time in China between the two airport are 9 hours total. Do I need a transit visa in China? and after I arrive in Shanghai airport, where do I go.. to my connecting flight or to the immigration custom? Thanks

more
    • One week time in British Columbia. Suggestions ?

Canada Dec 23, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Hello,
      We are looking to spend one weeks time in British Columbia area, which is next week. Considering weather and roads, we believe Victoria, Tofino or may be Vancouver should be ok. We are coming from Portland.
      We are not into shopping, snow sports or food, but more keen to see natural sceneries. Though Tofino and Victoria have been discussed a lot on forums, I am not able to find, when question comes, what should see in Victoria in 3 days and what should I see in Tofino in 3 days.
      Can somebody help us with this ?
      Thanks

more
    • Your personal face picture

Canada Jan 7, 2017 at 9:30 PM

It might be a good idea to delete your personal picture, eg, face from your profile and any personal information as who knows what will be done with the information once VT is no longer active. Think of doing this from a security aspect.

more
    • Looking for Boat Shuttle Service Provider

by mccordkg Online Now Sep 9, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Trying to find a Shuttle Service that will take 4 canoes/8 people from the mouth of the Seal River to Churchill. Can't find anything online, but I know there are people providing this services, as there are plenty of conoe trip reports talking about this shuttle service. Looking for approximate costs as I'm trying to convince my group that the Seal is our 2017 adventure.

2 Answers Sep 10, 2016 at 4:39 AM
    • Summer Clothing

by cudlowman Online Now Jan 22, 2015 at 4:32 AM

Any ideas what to take/wear for a summer trip would be appreciated.

4 Answers Jan 22, 2015 at 8:51 AM
    • Prime Tourism Times

by Loeppky Online Now Feb 15, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Is there anything to see in Churchill the first week of April? Are all the tours open and running?

1 Answer May 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM
    • cost of hiring snow clothing and boots

by Travellingalways Online Now Jun 23, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Can anyone tell me what the cost is of hiring snow clothing & boots as I live in Australia and want to do a Polar Bear guided trip in October 2014. Any advise would be great Thanks

4 Answers May 17, 2014 at 7:31 PM
    • date when the snow/ bears arrive

by michelleava Online Now Feb 14, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I was in churchill last year October 11 -16 and there was no snow/ ice and few bears. I am planning to go again this year but want to optimize the chances of seeing bears in a white landscape. I know the timing is tricky: too early and there is no snow/ice yet. Too late and the bears are gone. I can either go oct 26 for 6 days or Nov 11 for 6 days. What would you suggest? Do you remember what date the snow arrived and bears arrived last year?

4 Answers May 17, 2014 at 8:13 PM
    • Polar Bears and Aurora Borealis in Churchill

by ranjan.niyogi Online Now May 12, 2010 at 7:22 PM

My wife and plan to take a polar bear tour in Churchill around mid-November this year. Would it be possible to see the Northern Lights ( Aurora Borealis ) at this time or do we have to make a separate trip later in the winter? Any tips / suggestions on how to make the trips?
      Thanks

2 Answers May 13, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    • Babzz's Profile Photo

Tours

by Babzz Online Now Mar 7, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Does anyone know of any tour operators who offer simple day trips to see the bears? I don't want a multiple-day package, just one day of viewing the bears. I found one operator that offered this, but they only had a couple of days in October avalable for 2008, and I'd prefer November. Thanks!

• JAN53's Profile Photo

AUTUMN TRIP TO CHURCHILL

by JAN53 Online Now Jan 2, 2008 at 11:46 AM

We are coming over to see the polar bears this Oct/Nov and wondered if anyone has been recently and could give us any tips on whether its better to stay on a tundra buggy or in a hotel in Churchill. If its possible to hire parkas to wear as we don't really want to buy big items like this for the extreme weather conditions. Do you see the northern lights at this time of year and do you need to stay out on the tundra in order to see them. Many thanks.

2 Answers Apr 23, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

Churchill & Polar Bears

by SandiM Online Now Dec 31, 2007 at 1:31 PM

I've read the previous posting on Polar Bears and Churchill and have a few questions. Recently, there has been increasing exposure of Churchill and it's Polar Bear Tour packages. I'm interested in going up there and snapping photos of the PB's and other wildlife up north (I'm from Edmonton). However, I've looked at some of the tours and most of them specify me having to arrange my own transport to Churchill. Ok, expedia can't help me, and AirCanada apparently doesn't go there, so WHO DOES? How does one get from Edm to Churchill? I can guess I have to get to Winnipeg first, then take off from there. Any help? My travel agent buddy is on holidays so he can't help me! Also, has anyone had any experience with these tours in Churchill? Any recommendations? Expected pricing? Length of stay required? thanks!

3 Answers Mar 7, 2008 at 3:34 PM
    • Babzz's Profile Photo

Churchill in February?

by Babzz Online Now Oct 11, 2007 at 8:05 AM

Hi all,
      what can I realistically expect/hope to see in February? From my readings, I understand that this is the best time to see the northern lights, but will I see any polar bears? I don't really have the opportunity to go at any other time of year unfortunately (to see belugas, wildflowers, birds).
      Thanks!

5 Answers Oct 21, 2007 at 10:02 AM