VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
China

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• aussiejen's Profile Photo

Travel agent or book myself for domestic flights and river cruise?

China Dec 25, 2016 at 8:43 PM

We will be in Shanghai in early June 2017 and would like to do a Yangtze River cruise from Yichang to Chongqin then fly to Xian for a couple of days then fly back to Shanghai again. Is it feasible to book this myself or does this need to be done through a travel agent and be on a private tour?
      I figure we don't need a tour guide while on the cruise, but is it easy enough to get from end of cruise in Chongqin to airport with maybe a quick look around or trip to the zoo if I just organise a guide/driver myself?

more
    • npg's Profile Photo

Thank you and goodbye

Shanghai Jan 8, 2017 at 3:34 AM

Sad day being told that VT will be coming to a close! I hope I have been able to help travellers to Shanghai and other destinations. Happy and safe travels to you all and to all the VT staff.

more
    • misselisep's Profile Photo

Has anyone here booked a tour in China?

China Dec 20, 2016 at 3:54 PM

I'm planning a big trip to China next year (Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an and maybe a few others) and I want to book either one big tour or a few smaller tours. I don't know whether to book a private tour (which costs more) or a group tour? I don't think I want to be on a tour bus full of people but am aware of the costs of private tours. I don't think I can travel in this region without a guide, especially as I have zero language skills.

Has anyone had any experience with this? What should I look out for or be concerned about? I'm not really sure where to start.

Also, does anyone know any good value places to book tours? Is it better to wait until i'm there and find them or book from an agent here?? Any help welcome!

more
    • npg's Profile Photo

Thank you and goodbye

Shanghai Jan 8, 2017 at 3:34 AM

Sad day being told that VT will be coming to a close! I hope I have been able to help travellers to Shanghai and other destinations. Happy and safe travels to you all and to all the VT staff.

8 Answers Jan 12, 2017 at 1:14 AM
    • aussiejen's Profile Photo

Travel agent or book myself for domestic flights and river cruise?

China Dec 25, 2016 at 8:43 PM

We will be in Shanghai in early June 2017 and would like to do a Yangtze River cruise from Yichang to Chongqin then fly to Xian for a couple of days then fly back to Shanghai again. Is it feasible to book this myself or does this need to be done through a travel agent and be on a private tour?
      I figure we don't need a tour guide while on the cruise, but is it easy enough to get from end of cruise in Chongqin to airport with maybe a quick look around or trip to the zoo if I just organise a guide/driver myself?

6 Answers Dec 27, 2016 at 6:01 PM
    • misselisep's Profile Photo

Has anyone here booked a tour in China?

China Dec 20, 2016 at 3:54 PM

I'm planning a big trip to China next year (Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an and maybe a few others) and I want to book either one big tour or a few smaller tours. I don't know whether to book a private tour (which costs more) or a group tour? I don't think I want to be on a tour bus full of people but am aware of the costs of private tours. I don't think I can travel in this region without a guide, especially as I have zero language skills.

Has anyone had any experience with this? What should I look out for or be concerned about? I'm not really sure where to start.

Also, does anyone know any good value places to book tours? Is it better to wait until i'm there and find them or book from an agent here?? Any help welcome!

19 Answers Dec 26, 2016 at 10:12 AM
    • Best travel route in January

Dunhuang Dec 7, 2016 at 6:03 PM

I have read that flights may be cancelled in winter to Dunhuang, I plan to visit in January. Any recommendations for the best way to travel from Wuhan?

3 Answers Dec 20, 2016 at 4:18 PM
    • Traveller-65's Profile Photo

Bus from Guilin to Fenghuang

China Nov 27, 2016 at 6:45 AM

I wonder if there is a direct bus from Guilin to Fenghuang.
      If so, how often does it leave?? Where can i buy tickets??

1 Answer Nov 27, 2016 at 11:57 PM
    • stoowie's Profile Photo

Visiting Ancient Water Towns near Shanghai

Shanghai Shi Nov 27, 2016 at 6:31 AM

We will be visiting Shanghai in March and would like some guidance as to the ancient water towns for day trips from Shanghai. I would take public transportation should I get a local guide or can I do it myself.

6 Answers Nov 29, 2016 at 2:28 AM

Travel Guide in Shanghai

Shanghai Nov 26, 2016 at 5:04 AM

Are there any inexpensive guides to hire in Shanghai and where would I find therm

7 Answers Nov 27, 2016 at 11:44 PM
    • Buddhist Restaurant in a Temple

Shanghai Nov 11, 2016 at 3:48 PM

What is the name and road of the most famous Buddhist Temple in Shanghai that also has a vegetarian restaurant upstairs?

1 Answer Nov 13, 2016 at 7:29 PM
    • StevenC29's Profile Photo

Visiting China - will I have a problem with a guidebook/tablet

Guilin Nov 3, 2016 at 1:38 PM

From Hong Kong next year I plan to go to Guilin/Yangshuo. I'd hear that Chinese emigration removes guidebooks due their maps ie Taiwan

Also will my tablet be OK?

11 Answers Nov 8, 2016 at 6:08 PM
    • blackwind4x4's Profile Photo

Overland Travelling by car

China Oct 29, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Hi, we are a 4x4 communities in Malaysia and planning to go overland trip to all this countries...
      We planning to travel in April 2017..
      From Malaysia we will travel to Thailand ---> Myanmar ---> India

> India ---> Pakistan ---> China ---> Kyrgyzstan ---> Uzbekistan ---> Turkmenistan ---> Azerbaijan ---> Georgia ---> Turkey ---> Egypt

We would like to seek any advice from you guys out there who may have experience such travel journey related to the following :
      1. Auto Travel guide
      2. Entry permit (If any)
      3. Visas
      4. Road condition
      5. Fuel
      6. Weather
      7. Food..

Thanks.

Blackwind4x4

2 Answers Oct 30, 2016 at 2:40 PM
    • the3pete's Profile Photo

First Time in Wuhan

Wuhan Oct 28, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Arriving in Wuhan November 7th, and leaving on the 15th. Staying at Dorsett Wuhan - Hongkong & Macao Centre, Wuhan, Hubei, 430014. Any and all tips appreciated!! Sites and food will be most appreciated!!

2 Answers Nov 5, 2016 at 4:05 AM
    • VOA to shenzhen

Shenzhen Oct 18, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Hi, I am Indonesian. I will go to Shenzhen via Hongkong in December 2016 with my family,
      is Visa On Arrival (VOA) still available?
      Please kindly advise . Thanks.
      Regards,

1 Answer Oct 18, 2016 at 9:12 PM
    • travel to Luang Namtha

Kunming Oct 18, 2016 at 3:22 AM

Hi
      In December we would like to travel from Kunming to Luang Namtha. To save time, we would like to hire a car and driver. Does anybody know approximate cost, time of travel and possible companies to contact please.
      Many thanks
      Sarah

1 Answer Oct 18, 2016 at 7:32 AM
    • Manufacturers carved wooden french style table legs

China Oct 15, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Where can I get info regarding factories in China who manufacture carved wooden table legs. It must be accessible from Hong Kong by train. I search alibaba.com but need more info.
      Regards Elze

2 Answers Oct 16, 2016 at 9:09 PM
    • Best day trip to see the Great Wall

China Oct 1, 2016 at 6:12 AM

Hello, we are traveling to Bejiing next week for several days (I know it will be busy as it is a national holiday), but want to know recommendations for best experiences at the Great Wall. We have looked at several tour agencies, it is advised to take a tour with a guide? If so, is it possible to book the trip from our hotel once we arrive, or do we need to book ahead of time? recommendations? thank you.

13 Answers Oct 6, 2016 at 4:33 AM
    • Internet and tours

Xi'an Sep 30, 2016 at 7:40 AM

Hi
      I will be in Xian from 9-15 October this year. I have a few questions:
      - is there a need to configure my Samsung Note to access internet?
      - is it cheaper to use private taxi/driver or to join advertised tours on viator for two senior travellers
      - how to get to Citadines Central Aparthotel from Xian airport?

Appreciate advice. Thank you.

4 Answers Oct 14, 2016 at 6:57 AM
    • Beijing Capital International Airport

Beijing Shi Sep 26, 2016 at 7:05 AM

Hi!!

Do you think 60 minutes is enough for international transfer in Terminal 3 at Capital Airport?
      I am landing at 12:25 and the connecting flight is at 13:25, so I have exactly 60 minutes.
      Thanks!

4 Answers Oct 18, 2016 at 5:00 PM
    • What to visit in/near Yangchun?

Yangchun Sep 22, 2016 at 4:55 AM

Hello!
      I'm teaching English in Yangchun for 4 months as an internship. Does anyone know what is there around to visit on weekends? Or what places are nice to go out to in the city (parks, entertainment)?
      Also, if you know how I could find some internationals or English speakers it would be very helpful!
      Thank you!

2 Answers Sep 25, 2016 at 9:32 PM
    • fishnet102's Profile Photo

Seafood restaurants?

Shanghai Sep 15, 2016 at 7:29 AM

Which seafood restaurants in Shanghai would you recommend that has lots and lots of fish tanks, an indication of really fresh live seafood and many choices. Heading for Shanghai in about two weeks. Thanks in advance. Bob

4 Answers Sep 19, 2016 at 6:47 PM
    • MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Long stop overs in Shanghai and Beijing

China Sep 13, 2016 at 2:00 AM

Hallo peeps!
      I need advice please.
      I am flying to New Zealand and I have loong stop overs in Shanghai (8hrs) and on the return Beijing (7hrs)
      I would like to get out of the airport and explore a bit. I am travelling with 10yr old little girl.
      So how feasable is to go out and have quick look see in Shanghai and Beijing?
      Is the airports too far away from the center?
      Can you suggest quick short convinient tour for the two of us? And maybe nice authentic place to have bite to eat?
      Many thanks

16 Answers Sep 15, 2016 at 8:24 AM
    • Pandas in China

China Sep 11, 2016 at 4:06 PM

What is the best place to visit Pandas in China? I do not want my picture with a panda, but I want to learn about them and see them in the natural habitat if possible.
      Thank you

5 Answers Sep 13, 2016 at 11:27 AM
    • pekopoko's Profile Photo

Looking for a good Day tour to Karakul Lake & Karakoram HWY

Urumqi Sep 6, 2016 at 11:58 PM

I am going to be in Kashgar from Sep 24 - 27 - looking for a day tour to Karakul Lake & Karakoram HWY. Any recommendations please? Or would it be better if I just organize it once I get there?

1 Answer Sep 9, 2016 at 5:56 PM
    • pekopoko's Profile Photo

Prepaid Sim Card in XinJiang

Urumqi Sep 6, 2016 at 11:56 PM

Hi! I am going to Urumqi on Sep 21. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a prepaid sim card? (for my iphone 6 - with data plan) Thank you!

7 Answers Sep 15, 2016 at 8:06 PM
    • Want to join tour group. Not sure which dates the best to visit zhangjiajie?

Zhangjiajie Sep 1, 2016 at 7:11 AM

HI,
      I want to join a tour group.
      Any opinion on these dates below:

1) Feb 22- Was thinking about winter dreamland. But not sure if end feb is like that or just very misty?

2) March 10 / March 22 / March 29

3) April 05/ April 19/ April 28

4) May 05/ May 17 = Spring? Better than march/april?

2 Answers Sep 1, 2016 at 9:19 PM
    • Kokid08's Profile Photo

Men's Clothing and Beer

Shanghai Shi Aug 29, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Question #2: Is it appropriate for men to wear shorts in China and can beer be purchased in local stores for hotel consumption? Is the alcohol government regulated?
      Thank you,
      Ken

4 Answers Sep 18, 2016 at 9:38 PM
    • louguantai wildlife rescue center

Xi'an Aug 28, 2016 at 4:35 PM

We will be in Xian for 3 days in early September. We would like to see the pandas at the louguantai wildlife rescue center. When we were Xian last year the center was temporarily closed. Does anyone know if it is now open. If it is what is the best way to get there and if by bus what bus. Any other information on the wildlife rescue center will be appreciated.

Thanks

• mancron's Profile Photo

daily allowance

Changchun Aug 28, 2016 at 3:51 PM

I am moving to Changchun on 21st sept to teach for 1yr, can anyone tell me what rmb I can live comfortably on a daily basis pls.
      Much obliged
      Ron

9 Answers Aug 29, 2016 at 9:25 AM
    • Kokid08's Profile Photo

Tamron Lens

Shanghai Shi Aug 27, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Am interested in purchasing a Tamron Lens for my Canon T5i but am hesitant because of the warnings of electronics stores in Shanghai. How do I verify the store & merchandise prior to purchase? Am I being too cautious?
      Thanks,
      Ken

5 Answers Aug 29, 2016 at 5:33 AM
    • ohaiyo's Profile Photo

Yangshuo, Huangyao, and Li River cruise

Guilin Aug 23, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Hi,

I will be in Guilin in late December. I have heard that the water in Li River may be low at that time of year and that the cruise will only go from Daxu to Yangdi and will not go all the way to Xingping, therefore, skipping the most beautiful part of the Li River. Is there an alternative to go down the Li River other than being on the big river boats when the water is low? Is Yangshuo worth staying for a night or two or should I just go there on a day trip from Guilin? I want to go to Huangyao. How do I go there from Guilin? How long is the bus ride? Could I do it as a day trip or should I stay there overnight? Thanks

3 Answers Aug 24, 2016 at 8:09 AM

Ancient Water Towns

Shanghai Aug 20, 2016 at 4:02 AM

I have a few extra days to spend in Shanghai and would like to know what ancient water towns to visit. Looking to visit the ones that are not over run with tourists.
      Thank you

7 Answers Sep 15, 2016 at 3:42 AM