Travel Answers
Chile

change location
  • s083629's Profile Photo

Skorpio III cruises

Chile Nov 29, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Does anyone have a review for this cruise out of Puerto Natales? Good or bad experiences? Where is the best place to book from the US?

2 Answers Nov 29, 2016 at 5:33 PM
  • bus to el calafate

Isla Magdalena Nov 22, 2016 at 10:13 PM

1. how manytimes in the last season the boat from p.arenaes to the isghland Magdalena didn't go to the tour?

1.bus from p.aranea toel calafate in Friday ????

• TravelingSue's Profile Photo

What to do on Christmas Day

Santiago Nov 15, 2016 at 7:06 AM

My friend and I will be in Santiago Chile from Dec 24-28 and would like to know what to do on Christmas Day. We would like to visit a home but don't know if there are any home experience tours. Any suggestions since it is holiday and many businesses will be closed.

4 Answers Dec 1, 2016 at 4:29 AM
  • apbeaches's Profile Photo

Wine Tours

Santiago Nov 12, 2016 at 8:45 AM

We appreciate the wines of Chile but have been to California, Finger Lakes & Long Island Wineries. We will be in Valparaiso & Santiago for a week this December. We think we'd like to visit a winery & see some tours that are a full day. I'd hate to miss seeing other things in this region, are there wineries closer to Santiago where we can spend a half a day? Any thoughts re. the time in Chile's wine region? Is it a must see & do?

4 Answers Dec 1, 2016 at 9:08 AM
  • TravelingSue's Profile Photo

What to do on Christmas Day

Chile Nov 9, 2016 at 9:28 AM

A friend and I are coming to Santiago on Dec 24th on a cruise ship. We will be there until Dec 28th. What should we do on Christmas Day. Probably nothing will be open but hopefully we can find an open restaurant. Also we are being picked up at the terminal and transferred to Santiago with a tour of Valparaiso and Vina del Mar and at Casablanca Valley, we can visit Kingston Family and/or Matetic Vineyards. Which would be best Any other suggestions between Valparaiso and Santiago.

• fasterdog's Profile Photo

Best Scenery in Southern Chile

Chile Nov 7, 2016 at 10:04 AM

I am hoping to visit Chile in February or March next year. As well as central Chile I hope to visit one of the national parks in the south, either Torres del Paine or else San Rafael/Aysen.

I am looking for a balance of nature by which I mean some fjords, some glaciers and some animals and birds too, rather than 100% of any one of these things.

Does anyone have a preference for either of these areas, and if so, why?

I appreciate that there is a lot of info on this website about both areas, but I have found it a bit difficult to get the big picture on just the basics.

3 Answers Nov 17, 2016 at 9:34 AM
  • Can we get on and off on our way to Arica

San Pedro de Atacama Nov 7, 2016 at 12:13 AM

My wife and I are planning a trip to Chile and Peru, going via San pedro de Atacama, we want to continue our journey north to Arica via bus, can we get off and on for example stay one night somewhere continue the next day?

Any help greatly appreciated

5 Answers Dec 21, 2016 at 11:22 AM
  • toonsarah's Profile Photo

Help planning our budget

Chile Oct 9, 2016 at 11:32 AM

We are off to Chile for almost three weeks later this month. We have pre-booked accommodation, internal flights and transfers and lots of tours, so our main expenses will be meals, drinks and souvenirs. I've seen varied recommendations about typical costs so I thought I'd see what VT members suggest. We like to eat in good (but not super fancy high-end) restaurants serving mostly local food, to drink alcohol (but not a huge amount - maybe a couple of drinks per person per evening) and to eat our main meal in the evening. We would usually eat only a very light lunch or skip it altogether if breakfast is large (breakfast is included in all our hotels). We like to buy ourselves a couple of good souvenirs but don't go mad on shopping! We will be spending time in Santiago, San Pedro de Atacama, Puerto Varas, Torres del Paine and Easter Island. Any thoughts please on a sensible daily budget?

Also, what are our chances of being able to use our Visa debit cards in the better restaurants, to save taking everything in cash? We don't want to have to rely on finding ATMs, except perhaps in Santiago. Of course if we decide on using the debit cards we will let our bank know in advance.

Thank you!

4 Answers Oct 17, 2016 at 7:30 AM
  • Best time of year to go

Easter Island Oct 7, 2016 at 11:03 AM

When is the best time of year to go? Expense and crowding.

5 Answers Oct 17, 2016 at 7:43 AM
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Patagonia travel

Punta Arenas Sep 27, 2016 at 6:16 AM

My friend and I are planning a trip in January to Patagonia--unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a guidebook that focuses on this region and does it well. The initial plan (not yet booked) is to start in Punta Arenas, but is that the best idea? I would be coming from Ushuaia (following an Antarctic cruise) and my friend would be coming from the US, so she's able to fly anywhere. If we do start in Punta Arenas, I'll probably take the bus there from Ushuaia, but maybe we should start somewhere in Argentina?

We are interested in scenery, mild hiking (i.e. not climbing), and wildlife. To be honest I'm not particularly educated about what there is to do down there, how best to organize logistics, possibilities of including both countries in a reasonable time frame, etc. Any assistance is welcome!

9 Answers Sep 29, 2016 at 4:54 PM
  • Volcano trekking

Pucón Sep 11, 2016 at 9:47 PM

Would like to check when is the trekking usually end and back to the town? Coz I have to call ch 7:45 bus. Not sure if I can make it. Thx.

1 Answer Dec 21, 2016 at 11:33 AM
  • Luggage storage

Valparaíso Sep 10, 2016 at 8:22 PM

I travel from another city to Valparaiso, I plan to spend one day here. And back to Santiago at night. Wanna check if there is luggage storage at the bus stop of Valparaiso?

5 Answers Sep 12, 2016 at 3:26 PM
  • How to pay for merchandise

Chile Sep 9, 2016 at 11:46 AM

I will be purchasing quite a bit of merchandise in a well-known store in Santiago, Chile. I want to save money, so do I pay:

1. With my credit card in Chilean pesos?
    2. With my credit card in US dollars?
    3. With US cash?
    4. With Chilean pesos (cash) withdrawn from a Santiago ATM?

Thank you!

7 Answers Dec 21, 2016 at 11:57 AM
  • bus from puonta natales

Punta Arenas Sep 3, 2016 at 5:25 AM

I am going to stay in p.natales/\.
    is it good idea to take a bus to p/aranes take the farry to i.magdalena back to p.natales next day noon???
    can u give me the prices for each user on my way?

4 Answers Sep 4, 2016 at 5:52 AM

Valparaiso At Christmas

Valparaíso Jul 23, 2016 at 4:26 PM

My husband and I expect to be in Valparaiso Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and have booked a hotel in Vina del Mar. What will be happening in the area around this time? Should we book a hotel in Valparsaiso and will our lack of speaking Spanish be an issue?

4 Answers Dec 31, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Plaza Baquedano

Santiago Jul 15, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Wanted to stay in a central hotel in Santiago. We think we like the Crowne Plaza on Plaza Baquedano. It looks like it is near the Metro and a central location to see tourists sights in Santiago. Any suggestions? Better ideas? Things not to miss?

6 Answers Aug 9, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Christmas

Valparaíso Jul 15, 2016 at 9:41 AM

We will be arriving in Valparaiso on Christmas Eve; will restaurants, shops or anything be opened? We will be spending two nights in Vina Del Mar; will there be things do do Christmas time? Beaches? Any holiday suggestions?

• Transportation from Osorno to Puerto Varas

Osorno Jun 26, 2016 at 7:12 PM

I need to go from Osorno to Puerto Varas, my flight should arrive at Osorno around 14:10, I tried to search for bus tickes, but i didn`t found any later than 13:40. I searched for car rental as well, but it`s too expensive, around 71.000 CLP per day! If someone could help me it would be awesome! Thanks, Caio.

4 Answers Dec 22, 2016 at 4:17 AM
  • TdP - 4 days with rental car

Torres del Paine Jun 13, 2016 at 6:48 AM

Can someone help me to draft a plan to see the park in a meaningful way mainly using a car and knowing that
    a) I will arrive in Puerto Natales on the 14th Sep (evening)
    b) I have 4 days of time to go around the park (one of these days I might cruise to Balmaceda/Serrano, if worth)
    c) I need to go back to Punta Arenas on the 19th
    ?
    Thank you very much in advance for your wise advice.
    Maurizio

• MagdalenaG's Profile Photo

How to make sure you won't miss your flight?

Chile Jun 12, 2016 at 2:12 PM

I have a flight from Santiago, Chile to Lima, Peru at 5am landing in Peru at 9am. At 12:30pm I have my flight from Lima, Peru to Madrid, Spain. I bought the flights separately. In case the flight from Santiago is late and I miss my second flight would they put me on another flight? Or will I have to buy another ticket? Is there an insurance which would cover that kind of risk? Also, can I check in the luggage for both flights even though they are not operated by the same carrier and I bought the tickets separately?

Thanks for your time
    Dov

2 Answers Jun 12, 2016 at 3:06 PM
  • Visiting Chile advice. Re: border crossing to avoid 19% hotel tax for 59+ days stay ?(69)

Chile May 28, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Hello

I will visit Chile for 69 days later this year and am wondering about the 19% hotel tax for visits over 59 days in Chile

This can add up considerably - I wasn't aware of it until booking accom on booking.com and noticing it....

My query :

Should I go to Mendoza c10 days after arrival - while in Santiago - to restart my Chile clock from Argentina ?
    This looks like a harrowing 7 hour windy (though scenic) bus ride and 4+ hour customs wait/check etc at the Argentine border....each way... and maybe about $40 US each way (?)

or
    while I'm at Punta Arenas, Punta Natales or Puerto Williams - about a week each - in the south - should/can I cross over the border - before the last 10 days ? to restart the clock then ? - but if so - will this work and what are the logistics ?

Is it right that hotels won't charge the extra 19% tax until the 60th day ?

I've heard that hotels/hostels charge tourists the 19% extra regardless, unless you pay in cash US$, and they also won't make a receipt

It won't be worth this if it costs more money and time to cross a border than pay the 20% extra taxes

Also ! re: reciprocal entry fee to Chile (and also any to Argentina ? ) - whats the current status / sum of that for UK and for Australia passport holders ? (being a bit lazy asking this question...)

Thanks for any thoughts/advice

29 May 2016

3 Answers May 28, 2016 at 8:59 PM
  • One day from Valpraiso to Santiago

Valparaíso May 24, 2016 at 8:06 AM

What is the best way to get from Valpraiso port to Santiago and
    is there any place in Santiago center to leave luggage safely while spending the afternoon touring the city? We have an 11 p.m. flight back to the states and would love to see the city first.
    Thank you.

1 Answer May 24, 2016 at 8:17 AM
  • Neonstrocity's Profile Photo

Patagonia in August?

Chile May 16, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Does it make any sense to try to visit Patagonia in August. We have only 10 days in Chile, and will spend the first few days in Santiago drive to Valpariso, and then we were thinking to fly to Puerto Montt for a few days. I thought it might be cool to fly to Patagonia instead. However, I was wondering if August would be a bad time to try that.

Any comments welcome.

3 Answers May 17, 2016 at 5:27 AM
  • CEP1863's Profile Photo

What is the best way to get from Valpariso to the airport in Santiago?

Valparaíso Apr 25, 2016 at 4:23 AM

Hi

Can anyone provide info as to the best way to get from the dock in Valpariso to the airport in Santiago? We will be arriving on a cruise ship in the morning and need to know how much would a taxi cost and how long will it take to get to the airport.

Many thanks,

Clare

5 Answers Apr 28, 2016 at 7:01 PM
  • fionaglasgow's Profile Photo

Vaping / e-cigarettes

Santiago Apr 23, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Please could someone tell me if it is legal to smoke e-cigarettes in Chile / what the rules are?

1 Answer Apr 23, 2016 at 11:05 AM
  • Transportation to/from Torres del Paine

Puerto Natales Apr 18, 2016 at 9:47 AM

We are staying in Puerto Natales. We would like to take the 3 hour Grey Glacier boat tour at 12:00 on 4/26. I understand we can take a bus from town to the entrance of the park. Are buses still returning to town at 18:00 at this time of year? Some information states the last bus to town is 14:00 and others state 18:00. What other options are available?

2 Answers Apr 19, 2016 at 12:23 PM
  • Traveling To Chile

Chile Apr 2, 2016 at 2:50 PM

What is the best time of year to travel to Chile?

10 Answers Jun 2, 2016 at 10:35 AM
  • Bird/flower watching places reachable with ordinary long distance buses in nearby Andes

Santiago Mar 3, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Best trekking places in nearby Andes for daytime bird and flower watching which can be reached with ordinary long distance buses from Santiago?

1 Answer Mar 3, 2016 at 11:26 AM
  • Santiago day tour

Santiago Mar 1, 2016 at 1:57 PM

We are a group of 10 and looking for a half or full day tour in Santiago on a Sunday. Any company recommendations appreciated. We are all first time visitors.

4 Answers Mar 6, 2016 at 6:55 AM
  • what to do

Chile Feb 13, 2016 at 8:21 AM

My wife and I are arriving Stgo on Thurs and staying in an apt 1st 3 nights. Then to Puertecillo for a week and then Zapallar for a week. Have never been to Chile so am looking for ideas and must dos. Like hanging on the beach, fishing, hikes, hot springs....
    Thanks in advance for any ideas

3 Answers Feb 14, 2016 at 7:56 AM