VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
Chennai (Madras)

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Man vs Wild - Munnar edition ;)

Munnar Jan 15, 2017 at 4:31 PM

Hi, i want to go jungle treking on a long multiple day camping trip; around, to, or from Munnar.
      I want to do this alone.
      Do you guys know, any routes, source of information, tips....?

Thank youuuu

more
    • Zanskar trek without guide

Ladakh Range Dec 19, 2016 at 8:23 AM

Hi, I am planning to do the Zanskar trek from Padum to Lamayuru next summer, however my budget is tight and I would like to do it alone (without guide). ju-lehadventure.com/trekking... I will be carrying a reliable GPS so I am confident I will find the way. My main concern is to know if homestays can be found all along the itinerary or if I will have to carry tent and food?
      Do you know if homestays can be found in Hanamur and Snertse?
      Thanks

more
    • Cell phone.

Mumbai Jan 9, 2017 at 7:01 PM

I happened to have a Samsung Galaxy S3 cell phone (USA) that I plan to travel to India with. I have heard that the frequencies used by Indian carriers for GSM-2, 3 may be different from the ones supported by Samsung S3.
      Would there be someone who is using a Samsung Galaxy S3 cell phone in India and knows that it works. Thanks.

John.
      Samsung S3 Specs. :
      gsmchoice.com/en/catalogue/s...

more
    • ShaktiGal's Profile Photo

Macleod Ganj with Kids June toAug Budget hotel & Packing tips?

Dharamsala Dec 31, 2016 at 6:04 AM

I am travelling to Dharamsala in June with my two boys (9&11) and my older mom. We are staying for 3 months while I study in Bhagsu, but feel the boys and my mother may enjoy being closer to Macleod Ganj.

Any budget hotel suggestions that are kid friendly? Bhagsu vs. Macleod Gang?
      Packing suggestions for Monsoon season?
      Interesting places to volunteer/courses etc that would make this place fun for a 9 & 11 year old?

Thanks so much for any and all suggestions.
      Bobby

more
    • Query about Delhi-Manali.

Manali Dec 26, 2016 at 11:54 PM

I'm travelling to Manali for new year and I have a few questions I want answered asap.

1. I'm travelling with the HPTDC VOLVO AC bus which leaves from Himachal Bhawan in New Delhi in the evening. Is the bus good? And is the route safe to travel at night since it's a lot of fog in Delhi this year?
      2. I'll reach Delhi in the afternoon and since I have ample of time till evening, is there some place near Himachal Bhawan or in Connaught Place where I can store my luggage safely and explore Connuaght Place?

Awaiting early response.
      Thanks

more
    • Which is best Beach Resort in Goa?

Goa Dec 21, 2016 at 3:06 AM

I'm looking for a beach resort in Goa and bit confused in choosing a best stay option at reasonable rates. I tried to search at google and found "Lemon tree amarante beach resort". Does anyone have idea about this resort?

more
    • sugandhgupta's Profile Photo

road trip in south india

India Dec 21, 2016 at 1:44 AM

need help in planning an itenary for the road trip in dec 2016, via car starting from chennai for 2 weeks. which way to head - towards goa/ kerela/ coorg/ munnar? we are not very touristy and prefer offbeat locales, serene nature and natural beauty

more
    • Getting a sim card for a cell phone.

Mumbai Jan 6, 2017 at 8:26 AM

I am wondering how easy/difficult would it be to get a sim card, perhaps at the Mumbai airport itself. I have all the necessary id's such as my North American passport, Driver's license, Credit card. Having access to a phone would be a definite asset. Any information in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John.

more
    • Availability of Indian currency.

Mumbai Jan 4, 2017 at 6:22 PM

I plan to visit India for a three week period. I realize there is a currency crunch at this time (Jan. 4th 2017 today) in India. I am wondering if ATM machines in Mumbai have started dispensing out the cash? I have a couple of USA credit cards and a US Bank ATM card. Will it be a grim situation for me? I also have a couple of hundred US Dollars in cash with me. Any suggestion (short of don't come) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John.

more
    • money exchange

Kovalam Dec 22, 2016 at 12:55 AM

Where is the best place to get good exchange rates in the kovalam area apart from banks

more
    • Gangtok Itineraries

Gangtok Jan 1, 2017 at 8:31 AM

I am planning a 1 week trip to gangtok. Need a 6 days Itineraries of gangtok ASAP. Thank you.

more
    • maestrousmc's Profile Photo

Help regarding rupee

India Dec 20, 2016 at 4:28 PM

I landed in Mumbai yesterday and it seems difficult to find places that'll take my 2000 rupee note, which is all I have. Can anyone off suggestion as to how I might be able to do so? I'm told that the ATMs only dispense 2000 as well. Thanks in advance. :)

more
    • Best Airlines

India Jan 2, 2017 at 9:49 PM

Which Domestic Airlines is Best in South India?

more
    • tcheuki's Profile Photo

Current position re domenyterisation

India Dec 29, 2016 at 11:36 PM

Hi travelling to Mumbai next week and have been looking at news articles regarding money shortages after withdrawal of larger notes. Kind of getting a mixed picture. What is actually happening? Is cash available at ATMs? Would I be able to get money at the airport? I have been to India a lot and understand that cash is still the main way to pay for goods and services, so therefore feeling a bit concerned. Any help/tips appreciated.

Regards.

Martin.

more
    • Christ University, Bangalore -- so what's it really like?

Bangalore Dec 25, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Is there anyone out there among our VT people who have had any experience with Christ University in Bangalore?
      I'm mainly trying to get general information about what it is like both as an academic institution -- level of teaching, students -- and as a social atmosphere. Plus the quality of the actual, physical lay out.

Ask because I've had no experience with higher education in India and have the opportunity to link with a variety of universities (in areas of the social sciences, business, humanities, languages) -- and Christ University, Bangalore, is one of them. But is it a good choice?

If you know the place and feel like answering -- please be frank! Much appreciated.

Thank you. - Eurycleia

more
    • ardelean's Profile Photo

Dress in Temples

by ardelean Online Now Aug 1, 2016 at 9:51 AM

What is suitable dress for a western man and a western woman when visiting a temple for a wedding?

3 Answers Aug 12, 2016 at 11:28 AM
    • Tanjavd's Profile Photo

What to do in Giundy, Chennai

by Tanjavd Online Now Mar 25, 2016 at 11:57 PM

We want to book the ITC Grand Chola Hotel on a 5-day trip to Chennai, but what is there to do within walking distance in the area? Shopping malls? Markets?
      Is anything in walking distance or do I have to take a taxi everywhere?
      Thanks
      Tanja

• Private buses vs. Government buses, Chennai to Pondicherry

by Noreenglobetrotter Online Now Dec 29, 2015 at 7:20 AM

Based on what I read on Virtual Tourist, I took Rathi Meena Travels, a private bus company offering deluxe bus service from Chennai to Pondicherry. We paid about 480 Rs. each, expecting a fast, smooth trip. What a mistake! Our deluxe Volvo bus broke down on the highway, and for three hours, we sat and stood around, watching while two men tried to fix a
      Broken pipe using string and duct tape. Everyone had cell phones, but no-one called for a replacement bus, as they were afraid of management response to the situation. It was dark and they finally got us on another bus.
      On our return trip, we took a government bus. It was less than half the price, more spacious, and arrived on time.
      I wonder if the person who recommended the high priced private buses got paid for his recommendation...

21 Answers Jan 2, 2016 at 6:07 AM
    • Flood situation in Chennai, Kanchipuram and thiruvannamalai

by DanamK Online Now Nov 29, 2015 at 5:40 AM

I booked my ticket to visit Chennai, kanchipuram and thiruvannamalai from 9 Dec to 15 Dec 2015?
      Can anyone please advise as to the flood situation in these areas. Is it safe to travel to these places?

2 Answers Dec 3, 2015 at 5:31 AM
    • Nus from Chennai airport

by Noreenglobetrotter Online Now Nov 14, 2015 at 9:12 PM

Can you tell me of a quick bus from Chennai airport to the city, and a connecting bus to Pondicherry? We will be flying in on Tuesday.
      Thanks,
      Noreen

2 Answers Nov 24, 2015 at 9:45 PM
    • Is makemytrip.com a reliable and trustworthy agent?

by Britontour Online Now Oct 18, 2015 at 12:28 AM

Is makemytrip.com a reliable and trustworthy agent?

4 Answers Oct 18, 2015 at 11:41 PM
    • Baggage shipping options at chennai domestic airport

by mail2maran Online Now Sep 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM

Hi,
      I'll be arriving in chennai from Chicago on September 11th at around 3 a m and same day at 6 a m I'll be flying to Madurai in jet airways. I'm carrying two baggage weighing approximately 20 kg each. Jet airways baggage policy allow only 1 baggage weighing 15 for domestic travel and their excessive baggage charges are way too expensive (Rs. 300 per kg). What are the options available in chennai airport for safely shipping my luggage to Madurai? Is there any 24 hrs domestic cargo handling services available within Chennai airport that I can use for shipping my luggage? Please advise any help is greatly appreciated. Thank in advance.

1 Answer Sep 7, 2015 at 2:38 PM
    • How to Contact

by Vikasbrajeshshah Online Now Aug 24, 2015 at 4:46 AM

Hi , I am in urgent need to contact any of the photographers who operate on Marina Beach or any such tourist spot in Chennai and offer Instant prints of the photos. Its regarding a project and he will be handsomely paid for it. I need precisely them only who operate at tourist spots. Can someone help me in contacting them? My number is +91 80970 26946, Vikas

1 Answer Sep 11, 2015 at 9:30 PM
    • Stay during transit

by usmanalishah Online Now Aug 6, 2015 at 4:16 AM

My train will reach chennai central railway station around 4am and next train will leave at 10pm. Where to stay the period?

3 Answers Aug 10, 2015 at 11:16 PM
    • Any travelling from Chennai to Frankfurt or Chennai to Helsinki on 23rd June 2015 by Lufthansa

by bommureddy1983 Online Now Jun 8, 2015 at 10:50 PM

HI,

Any travelling from Chennai to Frankfurt or Chennai to Helsinki on 23rd June 2015 by Lufthansa, my mother will be traveling alone and she would some travel assistance during her travel. If you know any please contact me on bommureddy1983@gmail.com. Your heap is greatly appreciated..

Regards,
      Reddy

3 Answers Jun 9, 2015 at 4:52 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Is it easy to flag and board a taxi in Eillots's Beach?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 28, 2015 at 9:55 PM

Hi, Chennai VT,

Is it easy to flag and board an ordinary taxi in Eillot's Beach and anywhere else in India without calling a taxi in advance? Will taxi drivers without passengers stop to allow passengers to board if passengers flag?

I just want to avoid the autos.

1 Answer Apr 21, 2015 at 3:16 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Is it easy to flag and board a call-taxi in Chennai without advance booking?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 22, 2015 at 7:47 AM

Is it easy to flag and board a call-taxi in Chennai without booking in advance? Can a Chennai hotel help a tourist flag a taxi for fast travel to Chennai city centre from Pallavaram?

Which is advisable for travel in Chennai from Pallavaram, share auto or call-taxi / taxi?

6 Answers Mar 24, 2015 at 8:18 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Is it safe to bring camera while touring in Chennai?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 20, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Is it safe to bring camera (kept in shoulder bag) while touring in Chennai? Chennai appears to be very high in crime rates.

10 Answers Aug 15, 2015 at 4:40 PM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Which noteworthy destinations in Chennai to visit?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 18, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Is Eillot's Beach easier and safer to explore than Marina Beach? I hear many drownings in Marina Beach area even close to Triumph of Labour Statue.

Other than Saint Thomas Mount and the faraway Fort St George, is there a famous Seventh-Day Adventist Church in Chennai? I am looking for the Seventh-Day Adventist Church closer to the airport or closer to Thousand Lights.

12 Answers Apr 12, 2015 at 3:49 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Money belt or waist pouch or neck wallet in Chennai for tourists?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 18, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Hi, Chennai VT,

Is it safe to wear money belt or waist pouch in Chennai as a tourist? Or should i stick to neck wallet? I wish to bring digital camera as well.

Is Chennai like Manila?

7 Answers Mar 22, 2015 at 6:15 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Any food court or vegetarian restaurant near or in Chennai Airport?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 17, 2015 at 8:17 AM

Hi, Chennai VT,

Are there food courts or vegetarian restaurants near or in Chennai Airport? Where to find a guide to dining in Chennai especially near the airport?

Chyan

3 Answers Mar 18, 2015 at 4:59 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Why does Chennai have no city tourist map?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 8, 2015 at 4:04 AM

Does anyone know why Chennai has no airport-to-city tourist map? Whenever India Tourism appears in any mega travel fair, its brochures are on provinces of India and wordy writes-up on selected towns and cities. It makes FIT travel planning difficult.

5 Answers Mar 9, 2015 at 5:40 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Are there places of interest surrounding Chennai International Airport?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 1, 2015 at 6:45 AM

Hi, India VT,

Are there places of interest surrounding Chennai International Airport? I have 1 day stopover in Chennai. Can you suggest briefly what i can see around the airport? Does Chennai have Chinatown? Which is the Seventh-Day Adventist Church nearest to the airport?

2 Answers Mar 8, 2015 at 4:05 AM
    • nattybabe's Profile Photo

Weekend in Chennai

by nattybabe Online Now Dec 3, 2014 at 2:04 AM

Hi all,

I'm thinking about taking advantage of the new visa rules for India and heading to Chennai for a weekend next month.

Please can you let me know which area should I be looking at staying in? Having looked at accommodation it seems to be very wide spread.

Also, is it best to use cabs, drivers etc or is it easy enough to use public transport to get around.

Many thanks, Nat

2 Answers Dec 8, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    • Private clean pools in chennai

by Thecheesywanderer Online Now Oct 28, 2014 at 4:21 AM

I am an Australian visiting chennai for 3 months and staying in a residence in alwarpet. Do you guys know of a good clean well maintained pool who will let me use their facilities on pay per use or membership basis? Public pools may not be suitable so any feedback on something a little more exclusive and clean will be appreciated

2 Answers Oct 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    • hey there can somebody who has been to Chennai help me

by VYKTOR Online Now Sep 28, 2014 at 1:42 AM

I would like to ask where should I stay for the night. I mean I'm a single boy all alone & I would like to know what kind of transport would be best

3 Answers Mar 25, 2015 at 6:42 AM
    • Nightclub Chennai

by AMAITRA Online Now Sep 6, 2014 at 4:18 AM

Looking for a night club with music/band jazz./blues/rock/soft. More a cosy corner to spend the late evening. Very hard to find in Chennai.

1 Answer Sep 6, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    • Pubs in chennai

by jpmarsh Online Now Aug 16, 2014 at 2:29 AM

I have a plan to go for a pub in chennai.. can you pls suggest some good place?

1 Answer Aug 23, 2014 at 4:42 AM
    • 2 weeks in Chennai

by vikizz Online Now Aug 9, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Hello

I travel for the first time to India. Can you tell mi more about Chennai. There are no people experience from there.
      How it is for tourist (esspecially women)? is it dangerous?
      What to do there?
      Any tips are welcome.

Thank you

11 Answers Mar 25, 2015 at 6:54 AM
    • social gathering

by govinda46 Online Now Jul 27, 2014 at 2:54 AM

where we can celebrate social gathering with lunch for 20 people with cultural entertainment

• Planning to go to Goa in 1st week of August

by select_tion Online Now Jul 26, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Hi all, first time user of VT. I'm the lonely guy on this planet. I’m planning to go to Goa in the 1st week of August. Anyone / group can join with me. I have a flat and a car in Goa, so no need to worry about accommodation and local travels in Goa. Only thing is loneliness is killing me. I want to celebrate this vacation with peace and joy. Anyone can help?

1 Answer Jul 26, 2014 at 4:51 AM
    • Sounth India Tourist Place

by raj_mohan21 Online Now Jul 1, 2014 at 4:43 AM

Give me best south indian tourist place?

10 Answers Jul 2, 2014 at 6:03 AM
    • guhasumit@yahoo.com

by guhasumit Online Now Jun 17, 2014 at 3:12 AM

If I were to stay in Chennai for 2 days , what should I plan to see ?

2 Answers Jun 17, 2014 at 3:51 AM
    • Traveling solo

by zolifi23 Online Now Jun 4, 2014 at 3:21 AM

I am a single traveller planning a small getaway pelgrinage to velankanni and I have been doing some research online. I came over this agency - chennai travel in offering interesting packages which meet my expectations and time frame. I would like to know how safe it is for a lady to travel from chennai to velankanni which is more than 320km in a car organized by the agency with all we hear nowadays.

Thank you to advise

5 Answers Jun 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    • csuresh's Profile Photo

Autism, Slow development kid friendly school options

by csuresh Online Now May 23, 2014 at 4:24 AM

I wanted to know the autism, slow development kid friendly school options in Chennai. Currently my Kid aged 5 is studying abroad in a normal public school with support staff in London and planning relocation to Chennai in 2 months.

3 Answers May 23, 2014 at 6:54 AM