Travel Answers
Chennai (Madras)

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Chyan's Profile Photo

Time taken to travel by car from Hyderabad airport to Wall Street Plaza, Begumpet

Hyderabad Yesterday

Can anyone please advise the estimated time taken to travel by taxi or car from Hyderabad airport to Begumpet? Is it one hour? I arrive at Hyderabad airport at 3.25 pm and want to go to Trujet Head Office at Wall Street Plaza on 9 December before 5 pm.

• price for a car + driver

India Oct 2, 2016 at 7:36 AM

We want to go from Aurangabad to Bijapur with a car + driver and drop.
      Which price could we expect for a normal car (2 or 3 persons)

Many thanks

• Goa places to stay

India Oct 21, 2016 at 2:38 AM

Hi everyone, I will be going with my partner to goa on the 2nd of January for around a week. Any places you recommend to sleep at?

• HelenR31's Profile Photo

Visa and emergency passport advice for Brit travelling on an ETD

India Oct 20, 2016 at 10:58 PM

Visa from Indian Embassy in HCMC
      by HelenR31

21 minutes ago
      Hi there, I'm a UK citizen and I had my passport and wallet stolen in HCMC. I've now got an emergency passport and am in the process of getting all the visas I need for my onward journey.

However I'm a bit confused... My flight back to the UK involves a one and a half hour stop over in Delhi to change planes. On the UK gov site it says that people travelling on an ETD ( emergency passport) need a visa and TWO ETD's - one to enter Delhi and one to leave Delhi. I'm having trouble finding out if this is true as I've had no reply to my emails and can't get through on the phone to the Indian Embassy. Can anyone help?

• Yorrajiv's Profile Photo

Reaching McLeodgunj

McLeod Ganj Oct 11, 2016 at 4:53 AM

Is it safe to start from Pathankot for McLeodgunj late in the evening? I'm taking Himgiri Express, which often reaches Pathankot very late.

• What things can you recommend to buy in India?

India 5 hours ago

I will travel my first time to India (2 days in Calcutta and Sikkim).
      Perhaps I will buy a good tea, tee, saffron and some indian spices.
      What other things can you recommend to buy in India?

Thanks in advance.

• venthan's Profile Photo

Allahabad to Khajuraho by BUS

Khajuraho Oct 21, 2016 at 6:16 AM

Is it possible to travel by government bus or private bus from Allahabad to Khajuraho? And how often the services in daytime?

• Chyan's Profile Photo

Distance and time for travelling from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1D of Delhi Airport

New Delhi Oct 13, 2016 at 8:57 AM

Can I know how far is Terminal 1D from Terminal 3 of Delhi Airport and the travelling time by taxi? I have just bought return ticket to Delhi from Hyderabad. Arrive in Delhi Airport T3 at 6.15 pm, leaving Delhi Airport T1D at 8.25 pm. Is there enough time to transit to Terminal 1D from T3?

• 6 days' Itinerary planning help needed urgently.

State of Sikkim Oct 3, 2016 at 11:10 PM

Hi All,

Pls help me prepare a 6 days' itinerary for my Sikkim trip.

Traveler type : Solo, Indian male
      Time duration : 6 days (17 oct morning to 22 oct evening)
      Itinerary type : Economic (since solo :) ) , Adventurous (like North Sikkim etc.)

Other help needed :
      1) Permit related :
      A) how long does it take to get the permit to restricted areas ?
      B) Can I get this permit on my own without any agent's help ?

2) Navigation & Stay related :
      A) How to navigate to various places of sightseeing on an economic budget ?
      B) Any leads for night stay at economic budget are welcome ?

3) Any other tips/tricks that I should know before my Sikkim trip are also welcome.

Thanks in advance !

Cheers :)

• venthan's Profile Photo

Bus from Khajuraho - Jhansi

Jhansi Yesterday

Hi friends,

Are there regular bus service from Khajuraho to Jhansi??

• Recommended (or not) massage in India?

India Yesterday

Can You recommend (or not) massage in India?
      What's an average price of 1 hour full body massage?

• bus timetable

Khajuraho Oct 10, 2016 at 8:42 AM

Is there a bus timetable anywhere in the web??? I need to go from Khajuraho to Mahoba to take a night train to Varanasi, and can't find information.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Best areas to stay in Delhi.

Delhi Oct 24, 2016 at 11:38 AM

What part of Delhi would you recommend to stay in?

I like to stay in an area with some cafe/restaurant/bar choices.
      It does not have to be upscale.
      I just like to be able to wanter around the streets at night.
      During the day i will have my bicyclke, so I can get around quickly.

Any suggestions?

• looking for a room in a sharing basis

Goa Oct 15, 2016 at 11:27 PM

I booked 1 room for 3 people in goa from 26th Dec 2016 to 1st Jan 2017.
      I need 2 more people in sharing basis.
      If Anyone looking for a room in a sharing basis, contact me in the id
      Pay the rent in sharing basis when you checkin.

• travellingtechie's Profile Photo

Connection between Delhi T3 and T1D

Delhi Oct 5, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Hi, I have a question regarding connections between T3 and T1D. Can anyone please give me an idea of how to go from T3 arrivals to T1D departure. I will be arriving in T3 at night (around 11.30 PM) and have a connecting flight from T1D (around 5 AM). I heard that there is a connecting shuttle service between the two terminals. Can someone please advise where to get it from, and whether the journey can be done from outside the airport premises using a private taxi. Never thought I will be asking a question on this forum regarding my home country, but seems like things have changed a lot since the last time I travelled through Delhi domestic airport! :)

• best time to visit varanasi- with less crowds

Varanasi Oct 5, 2016 at 12:21 AM

I want to make a trip to Varanasi during the 15th to the 20th Of January 2017.This is a holiday period down south due to Pongal. Is it a good time to visit Varanasi.Will there be more than usual crowds during this period.

• suraj57's Profile Photo

How to plan a trip to Goa?

India Sep 30, 2016 at 2:16 AM

I want a plan a trip to Goa with my friends, and require some help with planning for the whole trip.
      We are all from Delhi, and we need all kinds of details given on how to plan a trip to Goa from traveling from Delhi to sightseeing in Goa and coming back home.

We are not too sure on how many days we should stay in Goa as well, so all the information provided such as places to see and things to do will allow us to find out what the duration of our holiday would be.

• Taxi from Agra to Jaipur

Agra Oct 22, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Hi, does anyone know how much it would cost to catch a taxi from Agra to Jaipur for 2 people?

• asking about tourism agency in india

India Oct 11, 2016 at 5:41 AM

im thinking to go to India next 2 weeks , i don't know if there is domestic tourism agency to organize my tour all over india or what and what is the best places to visit and what is the best place to shop especially to buy gold , and is it save country or what

• query regarding the current situation of Kashmir

Jammu Oct 3, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Is it safe for tourists now at kashmir? we r going on 15th of Oct,2016 , so i would like to know the present atmosphere of kashmir now.

• E Tourist visa

India Oct 11, 2016 at 11:46 PM

We are traveling in a tour group in India 11/11/2016 to 17/11/2016. Tour group company wanted our Visas asap so applied on line and all went perfectly smooth. Visas were granted, however it states that we can arrive between 8/10/2016 (date of the application) and 11/11/2016 (date of our arrival by plane, if the plane arrives on time and is not delayed to the next day or so). This did not seem right so emailed them only to be told the ETA date could not be changed.
      We think someone has made a mistake with our dates but are having trouble sorting it out!
      Has anyone else experienced this with the dates on their application???

• Chyan's Profile Photo

Where can i visit in Bangalore for 1.5 days?

Bangalore Oct 1, 2016 at 4:06 AM

What can i see i Bangalore for 1.5 days? Air India early arrives in Bangalore on 8 December at 1 pm plus. I will fly to Hyderabad on 9 December after 4 pm.

• Chyan's Profile Photo

Is Delhi airport having frequent flight delays in second week of December?

Delhi Oct 25, 2016 at 4:28 AM

May i know is Delhi airport usually having frequent flight delays in the second week of December? Because i have an outgoing flight from Delhi to Hyderabad at 9 pm plus, arriving in Hyderabad at 11.50 pm to connect to Tigerair flight from Hyderabad to Singapore at 1.40 am. I do not want to be late for checking-in to Tigerair flight due to winter weather.

• RodolfoBrasil's Profile Photo

Delhi on bike

Delhi Oct 25, 2016 at 6:03 AM

Hi friends

Someone of you have rented bike in Delhi?
      It's too circular problematic the city?
      It is safe to leave it parked while visiting a place?
      Do you have any indication of rent-bike stores?
      Thank you and good travel for all

• Delhi 30 days or more.

Delhi Oct 9, 2016 at 12:00 AM

Hi guys, I'm in the very early stages of planning for a month or so I would like to spend in India. For now I've done the basic research on Delhi, Agra and Varanasi which is what many people are able to do in around 4-5 days. I'd like to take my time on this trip so I'll probably spend 3-5 days at each of these places which leaves me with plenty of time to spare. I would like to know if anyone can recommend any other places nearby or in between that I might want to include.

Right now I'm only interested in this part of India, I might go as far as Kolkata but right now I can't be sure.

I'm still a little confused about the train situation, if I really need to book in advance or if I can get tickets on the ground once I'm there on the day, or a few days before I travel. Having to book in advance makes it difficult for me since I prefer not to have a set number of days at any one place in case I decide to spend more time somewhere else.

• ardelean's Profile Photo

Dress in Temples

by ardelean Online Now Aug 1, 2016 at 9:51 AM

What is suitable dress for a western man and a western woman when visiting a temple for a wedding?

3 Answers Aug 12, 2016 at 11:28 AM
    • Tanjavd's Profile Photo

What to do in Giundy, Chennai

by Tanjavd Online Now Mar 25, 2016 at 11:57 PM

We want to book the ITC Grand Chola Hotel on a 5-day trip to Chennai, but what is there to do within walking distance in the area? Shopping malls? Markets?
      Is anything in walking distance or do I have to take a taxi everywhere?

• Private buses vs. Government buses, Chennai to Pondicherry

by Noreenglobetrotter Online Now Dec 29, 2015 at 7:20 AM

Based on what I read on Virtual Tourist, I took Rathi Meena Travels, a private bus company offering deluxe bus service from Chennai to Pondicherry. We paid about 480 Rs. each, expecting a fast, smooth trip. What a mistake! Our deluxe Volvo bus broke down on the highway, and for three hours, we sat and stood around, watching while two men tried to fix a
      Broken pipe using string and duct tape. Everyone had cell phones, but no-one called for a replacement bus, as they were afraid of management response to the situation. It was dark and they finally got us on another bus.
      On our return trip, we took a government bus. It was less than half the price, more spacious, and arrived on time.
      I wonder if the person who recommended the high priced private buses got paid for his recommendation...

21 Answers Jan 2, 2016 at 6:07 AM
    • Flood situation in Chennai, Kanchipuram and thiruvannamalai

by DanamK Online Now Nov 29, 2015 at 5:40 AM

I booked my ticket to visit Chennai, kanchipuram and thiruvannamalai from 9 Dec to 15 Dec 2015?
      Can anyone please advise as to the flood situation in these areas. Is it safe to travel to these places?

2 Answers Dec 3, 2015 at 5:31 AM
    • Nus from Chennai airport

by Noreenglobetrotter Online Now Nov 14, 2015 at 9:12 PM

Can you tell me of a quick bus from Chennai airport to the city, and a connecting bus to Pondicherry? We will be flying in on Tuesday.

2 Answers Nov 24, 2015 at 9:45 PM
    • Is a reliable and trustworthy agent?

by Britontour Online Now Oct 18, 2015 at 12:28 AM

Is a reliable and trustworthy agent?

4 Answers Oct 18, 2015 at 11:41 PM
    • Baggage shipping options at chennai domestic airport

by mail2maran Online Now Sep 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM

I'll be arriving in chennai from Chicago on September 11th at around 3 a m and same day at 6 a m I'll be flying to Madurai in jet airways. I'm carrying two baggage weighing approximately 20 kg each. Jet airways baggage policy allow only 1 baggage weighing 15 for domestic travel and their excessive baggage charges are way too expensive (Rs. 300 per kg). What are the options available in chennai airport for safely shipping my luggage to Madurai? Is there any 24 hrs domestic cargo handling services available within Chennai airport that I can use for shipping my luggage? Please advise any help is greatly appreciated. Thank in advance.

1 Answer Sep 7, 2015 at 2:38 PM
    • How to Contact

by Vikasbrajeshshah Online Now Aug 24, 2015 at 4:46 AM

Hi , I am in urgent need to contact any of the photographers who operate on Marina Beach or any such tourist spot in Chennai and offer Instant prints of the photos. Its regarding a project and he will be handsomely paid for it. I need precisely them only who operate at tourist spots. Can someone help me in contacting them? My number is +91 80970 26946, Vikas

1 Answer Sep 11, 2015 at 9:30 PM
    • Stay during transit

by usmanalishah Online Now Aug 6, 2015 at 4:16 AM

My train will reach chennai central railway station around 4am and next train will leave at 10pm. Where to stay the period?

3 Answers Aug 10, 2015 at 11:16 PM
    • Any travelling from Chennai to Frankfurt or Chennai to Helsinki on 23rd June 2015 by Lufthansa

by bommureddy1983 Online Now Jun 8, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Any travelling from Chennai to Frankfurt or Chennai to Helsinki on 23rd June 2015 by Lufthansa, my mother will be traveling alone and she would some travel assistance during her travel. If you know any please contact me on Your heap is greatly appreciated..

3 Answers Jun 9, 2015 at 4:52 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Is it easy to flag and board a taxi in Eillots's Beach?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 28, 2015 at 9:55 PM

Hi, Chennai VT,

Is it easy to flag and board an ordinary taxi in Eillot's Beach and anywhere else in India without calling a taxi in advance? Will taxi drivers without passengers stop to allow passengers to board if passengers flag?

I just want to avoid the autos.

1 Answer Apr 21, 2015 at 3:16 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Is it easy to flag and board a call-taxi in Chennai without advance booking?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 22, 2015 at 7:47 AM

Is it easy to flag and board a call-taxi in Chennai without booking in advance? Can a Chennai hotel help a tourist flag a taxi for fast travel to Chennai city centre from Pallavaram?

Which is advisable for travel in Chennai from Pallavaram, share auto or call-taxi / taxi?

6 Answers Mar 24, 2015 at 8:18 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Is it safe to bring camera while touring in Chennai?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 20, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Is it safe to bring camera (kept in shoulder bag) while touring in Chennai? Chennai appears to be very high in crime rates.

10 Answers Aug 15, 2015 at 4:40 PM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Which noteworthy destinations in Chennai to visit?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 18, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Is Eillot's Beach easier and safer to explore than Marina Beach? I hear many drownings in Marina Beach area even close to Triumph of Labour Statue.

Other than Saint Thomas Mount and the faraway Fort St George, is there a famous Seventh-Day Adventist Church in Chennai? I am looking for the Seventh-Day Adventist Church closer to the airport or closer to Thousand Lights.

12 Answers Apr 12, 2015 at 3:49 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Money belt or waist pouch or neck wallet in Chennai for tourists?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 18, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Hi, Chennai VT,

Is it safe to wear money belt or waist pouch in Chennai as a tourist? Or should i stick to neck wallet? I wish to bring digital camera as well.

Is Chennai like Manila?

7 Answers Mar 22, 2015 at 6:15 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Any food court or vegetarian restaurant near or in Chennai Airport?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 17, 2015 at 8:17 AM

Hi, Chennai VT,

Are there food courts or vegetarian restaurants near or in Chennai Airport? Where to find a guide to dining in Chennai especially near the airport?

3 Answers Mar 18, 2015 at 4:59 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Why does Chennai have no city tourist map?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 8, 2015 at 4:04 AM

Does anyone know why Chennai has no airport-to-city tourist map? Whenever India Tourism appears in any mega travel fair, its brochures are on provinces of India and wordy writes-up on selected towns and cities. It makes FIT travel planning difficult.

5 Answers Mar 9, 2015 at 5:40 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Are there places of interest surrounding Chennai International Airport?

by Chyan Online Now Mar 1, 2015 at 6:45 AM

Hi, India VT,

Are there places of interest surrounding Chennai International Airport? I have 1 day stopover in Chennai. Can you suggest briefly what i can see around the airport? Does Chennai have Chinatown? Which is the Seventh-Day Adventist Church nearest to the airport?

2 Answers Mar 8, 2015 at 4:05 AM
    • nattybabe's Profile Photo

Weekend in Chennai

by nattybabe Online Now Dec 3, 2014 at 2:04 AM

Hi all,

I'm thinking about taking advantage of the new visa rules for India and heading to Chennai for a weekend next month.

Please can you let me know which area should I be looking at staying in? Having looked at accommodation it seems to be very wide spread.

Also, is it best to use cabs, drivers etc or is it easy enough to use public transport to get around.

Many thanks, Nat

2 Answers Dec 8, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    • Private clean pools in chennai

by Thecheesywanderer Online Now Oct 28, 2014 at 4:21 AM

I am an Australian visiting chennai for 3 months and staying in a residence in alwarpet. Do you guys know of a good clean well maintained pool who will let me use their facilities on pay per use or membership basis? Public pools may not be suitable so any feedback on something a little more exclusive and clean will be appreciated

2 Answers Oct 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    • hey there can somebody who has been to Chennai help me

by VYKTOR Online Now Sep 28, 2014 at 1:42 AM

I would like to ask where should I stay for the night. I mean I'm a single boy all alone & I would like to know what kind of transport would be best

3 Answers Mar 25, 2015 at 6:42 AM
    • Nightclub Chennai

by AMAITRA Online Now Sep 6, 2014 at 4:18 AM

Looking for a night club with music/band jazz./blues/rock/soft. More a cosy corner to spend the late evening. Very hard to find in Chennai.

1 Answer Sep 6, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    • Pubs in chennai

by jpmarsh Online Now Aug 16, 2014 at 2:29 AM

I have a plan to go for a pub in chennai.. can you pls suggest some good place?

1 Answer Aug 23, 2014 at 4:42 AM
    • 2 weeks in Chennai

by vikizz Online Now Aug 9, 2014 at 7:36 AM

I travel for the first time to India. Can you tell mi more about Chennai. There are no people experience from there.
      How it is for tourist (esspecially women)? is it dangerous?
      What to do there?
      Any tips are welcome.

Thank you

11 Answers Mar 25, 2015 at 6:54 AM
    • social gathering

by govinda46 Online Now Jul 27, 2014 at 2:54 AM

where we can celebrate social gathering with lunch for 20 people with cultural entertainment

• Planning to go to Goa in 1st week of August

by select_tion Online Now Jul 26, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Hi all, first time user of VT. I'm the lonely guy on this planet. I’m planning to go to Goa in the 1st week of August. Anyone / group can join with me. I have a flat and a car in Goa, so no need to worry about accommodation and local travels in Goa. Only thing is loneliness is killing me. I want to celebrate this vacation with peace and joy. Anyone can help?

1 Answer Jul 26, 2014 at 4:51 AM
    • Sounth India Tourist Place

by raj_mohan21 Online Now Jul 1, 2014 at 4:43 AM

Give me best south indian tourist place?

10 Answers Jul 2, 2014 at 6:03 AM

by guhasumit Online Now Jun 17, 2014 at 3:12 AM

If I were to stay in Chennai for 2 days , what should I plan to see ?

2 Answers Jun 17, 2014 at 3:51 AM
    • Traveling solo

by zolifi23 Online Now Jun 4, 2014 at 3:21 AM

I am a single traveller planning a small getaway pelgrinage to velankanni and I have been doing some research online. I came over this agency - chennai travel in offering interesting packages which meet my expectations and time frame. I would like to know how safe it is for a lady to travel from chennai to velankanni which is more than 320km in a car organized by the agency with all we hear nowadays.

Thank you to advise

5 Answers Jun 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    • csuresh's Profile Photo

Autism, Slow development kid friendly school options

by csuresh Online Now May 23, 2014 at 4:24 AM

I wanted to know the autism, slow development kid friendly school options in Chennai. Currently my Kid aged 5 is studying abroad in a normal public school with support staff in London and planning relocation to Chennai in 2 months.

3 Answers May 23, 2014 at 6:54 AM