change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Rats in Kalaw-Inle Lake trek?

Kalaw Dec 7, 2016 at 5:17 AM

Hello everyone,

This may sound like a bit of a strange question. I was very excited about doing the Kalaw-Inle Lake trek until I read a review from someone saying the house where they stayed at a village was full of rats. I am EXTREMELY afraid of rats, to the point that if this is the case I won't do the trek at all.

I understand that you may encounter a rat here and there when out and about and despite my phobia I can cope with it if I can "get away" from them if out in the open, but the thought of having rats running around me while I sleep is too much.

Did anyone else encounter any rats during your trek? All and any information very very appreciated as I was ready to make bookings already but this may change my travel plans a fair bit now.

Thanks in advance!!!
      Ale

more
    • Trekking Kalaw to Inle lake around MARCH 20th 2017

Myanmar (Burma) Yesterday

Good morning everyone, we're Paty and Paul, a young 26 yo couple, we live in Madrid, Spain. We're overexcited to discover Myanmar from 15-30 march 2017. We would like to do the trekking from Kalaw to Inle lake around MARCH 20th 2017. I would like to know a few things:

-Do you guys think it's a good period to do the trekking? I'm scared of the extrem hot or humidity at this time
      -Is it really worth it (have seen some pics on google and blogs, but im not sure the views and landscapes will be as beautiful in march!) So, dont wanna walk for nothing if you understand me ;)
      -Which guide do you recommend? Have seen a lot of positive comments on A1 trekking guide tour. Have some of you done it with them?
      -Is it mandatory to do the rage's vaccine?

thank you in advance for all your precious advices !!!

Paty & Paul

more
    • Sinosphere's Profile Photo

Best national parks in Burma (Myanmar)?

Myanmar (Burma) Nov 13, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Hello!

I'm planning to go maybe in Burma in winter and I'd like to visit some national parks. Burma seems to be a particularly untouched wildlife-rich country but sadly I found very little informations about the national parks in this country...

- I'm planning to go above all in the center of the country and along the Tenasserim peninsula. Including of course the apparently beautiful Lampi Marine National Park. About this park: is it easy to find ferries to go on Lampi Island or maybe on the surrounding islets (such as Cockscomb Island) to practice snorkelling? What are the best spots for snorkelling/scuba diving in Burma?

- I love rainforest, hiking, mountains, mangroves (canoe), etc... Can you suggest me some some nice natural places to have this kind of environment in Burma and of course observe wildlife?

- I'd love to explore the Khakaborazi National Park. I guess I'm not enough experienced to climb the summit of course (5881 m sounds a bit perillous for me!) but I'd like to hike all around on the first foothills to see maybe some snow-capped mountains, cloud forests and alpine meadows.... But it that simply possible? It seems very remote, I don't even know if there is any camps, trails or simply roads to go there! Plus it's located in the center of the Kachin State, and this region is often considered as a no-go zone in Burma because of violent ethnic tensions. What is true?

Thank you in advance :)
      XXX

more
    • Sinosphere's Profile Photo

Is Burma a safe destination / Is it easy to travel there?

Myanmar (Burma) Nov 11, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Hello!

I'm planning to go maybe in Myanmar this winter for 2 weeks and I would like to travel basically throughout the country but I've two crucial questions for this trip:

- I tried to get informed about the political situation of the country and I've to admit that the ethnical tensions in Myanmar are quite preoccupying. Our ministry of foreign affairs publised a map about the no-go zones in Burma and they suggest not to go in most of the border regions which represents about 50% of the whole country. Did the situation improved with the election of Aung San Suu Kyi? Are those tensions still strong? Should I feel concerned as a tourist or it's all about between separatists and army? I would like for example to visit the Hkakabo Razi National Park but it seems truly impossible when I see it's located in the heart of Kachin State...

- About the transportations... I guess it's impossible to rent a car in Myanmar... Is it possible to travel easily? Is it dangerous? I heard a lot about frequent deadly bus or train accidents! BTW is it possible to travel quickly by bus or should I be ready to spend 2 days to connect 2 very close cities by bus? Is it possible to rent small motorbikes in some places like seaside resorts for example?

Thanks ;)
      XXX

more

Near Chaungtha

• September good time

by ellawink Online Now Sep 25, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Is September a good time to visit Chaungtha beach

3 Answers Sep 26, 2013 at 4:13 AM
    • cochinjew's Profile Photo

Need to get in touch with William (Win Htay) at Chaungtha Beach

by cochinjew Online Now Aug 17, 2009 at 3:25 AM

William(Win Htay) is a friend of mine, who has a restaurant on the beach at Chaungtha called William's. He is helping me with a project to educate some children in Chaungtha. I am unable to get in touch with him the usual means: he has a handphone which is not receiving calls at all( so my friends from Yangon cant reach him). if any of the VT members are visiting Chaungtha, could you please find out the telephone number that I can reach him? Thank you so much in advance

2 Answers Aug 21, 2009 at 3:59 AM