Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Chair lifts

by Rogermark Online Now Oct 21, 2016 at 5:43 PM

We plan to be in the alpine area next August 2017.
      Where would be the best place to stay to enjoy some sight seeing on the chair lifts to Mont Blanc.
      Is there a " package" deal for such sightseeing.
      Thanks, Roger.

• Chair lifts

by Rogermark Online Now Oct 21, 2016 at 5:43 PM

We plan to be in the alpine area next August 2017.
      Where would be the best place to stay to enjoy some sight seeing on the chair lifts to Mont Blanc.
      Is there a " package" deal for such sightseeing.
      Thanks, Roger.

1 Answer Yesterday
    • Hiking around Chamonix in mid-October

by GilbertC2 Online Now Aug 13, 2016 at 4:08 AM

Hi guys, I will be in Chamonix in mid October for 4-5 days. Hoping to do some easy hike around the area. It's the first time that I'm visiting hence would appreciate any information.

- Will there be snow in mid October? Any easy hikes where the trails would have snow?

- I've read that waterproof hiking shoes are required for October? Do I need to bring one or any trail running shoes will suffice (non-waterproof)?

- The weather forecast tends to show between 5-15 degrees celsius for mid October. But I'm not sure if this is taken from the town or from summit or in between? What kind of temperature can I expect if I'm looking to do some hikes. Any trail hikes from Aiguille du Midi stations?

- Any other recommended activities for a first time visitor? Greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks in advance!

2 Answers Aug 13, 2016 at 2:42 PM
    • Apartments in Chamonix

by NiklasD Online Now Jul 19, 2016 at 12:11 AM

What is the best way to find an apartment in Chamonix?

5 Answers Jul 20, 2016 at 12:56 AM
    • Public transfer from Champex to Chamonix

by LiorK2 Online Now May 13, 2016 at 6:44 AM

What is the best way to arrive at public transfer from Champex to Chamonix to august?

1 Answer May 13, 2016 at 6:58 AM
    • Chamonix hiking from end of May/beginning of June

by ahenrik Online Now Apr 29, 2016 at 11:19 AM

We will be staying in Chamonix for a week at the end of May/beginning of June 2016. We had been planning on doing standard hiking (by standard I mean hiking boots and pack only - no crampons, poles, etc.) but we are concerned that some of the higher altitude trails will be closed due to melting snow/avalanches. Is this generally still a concern during this timeframe? If so, what are examples of trails that are traditionally open this time of year? Thank you in advance for advice.

5 Answers May 10, 2016 at 3:54 AM
    • transport chamonix to basel

by momfs7878 Online Now Mar 15, 2016 at 5:19 AM

4 of us will be traveling Chamonix to Bacharach,most likely via Basel on Sun 14 May. I would like to leave Chamonix by 1000 and arrive Bacharach br 2000. What is the best mode of travel?

2 Answers Mar 16, 2016 at 7:09 AM
    • franciru's Profile Photo

Lac Blanc - Conditions

by franciru Online Now Mar 11, 2016 at 1:25 AM

Hello All

I am looking for a bit of advice really as I don't want to venture into something that's impossible. I'm booked to visit Chamonix from the 29th April to 2nd May for a short break. What I was originally looking to do is make my way up to Lac Blanc + surrounding areas and bivouac for a couple of nights between walking, but I have since done my research and find reports that this will more than likely not be possible due to too much snow. I hear people saying it's inaccessible, but I would like to know just how inaccessible it actually is? Just so you can gauge my experience, I am a keen walker and have summited a few peaks including, Mt. Kinabalu & Rinjani in Asia, Mulhacen in Spain, Snowdon in Wales (Miners path) and various other peaks around the UK.

So I guess my questions are, just how inaccessible are the lakes at this time of year (April into May), and is what I've read all true? If Lac Blanc is too much then I would be happy with just reaching Chéserys, so would this be possible? I look to walk from Col des Montets.

If the above isn't at all possible, do you know of any areas that are accessible that have some nice views, where I will be able to wander around for a few days? I would like to get as high as possible. Would it be possible with snow shoes and GPS etc. up to Lac Blanc or maybe the Chéserys?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

1 Answer Apr 13, 2016 at 5:15 PM
    • Sunrise/Sunset locations, hiking trails in Charmonix

by ktt858 Online Now Mar 8, 2016 at 12:09 PM

I plan to be in Charmonix-Mont Blanc in the middle of May this year. My trip will last at least 3 days. I would like to ask the following questions:
      Where is(are) the best location(s) to watch sunrise and sunset?
      Can one do stargazing in Charmonix? If so, Could you provide locations and how to get there?
      Any hiking trails leading to lakes or glacier or water body?
      Thank you in advance for your help.

2 Answers Apr 13, 2016 at 3:57 PM
    • fiorile833's Profile Photo

TMB Lodging Part 2

by fiorile833 Online Now Jan 27, 2016 at 10:40 AM

So it's, been about a month since my last question, and now I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for a company that would book lodging for us? I usually enjoy the planning bit of trips, but I'm over it on this one! I think I'd rather pay a little more and have someone who knows what they are doing plan where we will be sleeping.

I've spent the morning searching for sites, and all seem pretty similar in their offerings. Looks like the "self guided tour" is what I'd have to end up going with. But I do already have the book and a map, and we don't want luggage transport, really just the lodging booked and in case it's needed, transport to get there. (The rest of the group has decided unless dorms have a quad room, they are a no go).

So just wondering if anyone has a service they'd recommend? (Trying to stay under $1600/person)

5 Answers Feb 5, 2016 at 2:05 AM
    • fiorile833's Profile Photo

Lodging along the TMB, August 2016

by fiorile833 Online Now Dec 10, 2015 at 7:06 AM

I'm currently trying to plan a trip to do the Tour Du Mont Blanc, and am finding most accommodations in Chamonix and elsewhere along the route to have no availability. Do places really fill up this far in advance, or do they just not release rooms for reservations this early on? A few places I've looked at not a single room available from April - Sept! I'm starting to get concerned and frustrated! Help!

Thanks! :)

3 Answers Dec 10, 2015 at 4:18 PM
    • Can you identify a glacier adjacent to a waterfall?

by GPKen Online Now Oct 21, 2015 at 1:10 PM

I have a telephoto I took on a scenic road near Chamonix in 2004 that I am unable to identify. The view was across a valley, and in the distance there was a glacier that had smooth valley-floor rock below it where ice had broken off and slid over a low cliff to a lower part of the glacial valley. To the right there was a rather substantial waterfall pouring into the glacial valley. (I think the waterfall is a significant clue.) I think this was within a hour drive of Chamonix, and I don't believe it was on the main highway from the Mont Blanc Tunnel because traffic was light. Could I post a Dropbox link here where someone could download the photo?

3 Answers Feb 5, 2016 at 2:11 AM
    • Currency or cashpoint

by Mariamaria01 Online Now Jul 9, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Hi there,

I am taking my family to Chamonix for the first time but not sure which currency I should be using or whether or not to take cash? Please advise.
      Regards Maria

1 Answer Jul 9, 2015 at 9:55 PM
    • Kazzav's Profile Photo

Chamonix drive holiday early October ? Napoleon route RN 85

by Kazzav Online Now Jan 24, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Group of 4 adults who are planning a driving holiday in France early Oct. Would love to see the mountains & are thinking of driving to Chamonix after some time in Cannes. I am wondering if the Napoleon route via Grasse is more scenic. I understand it takes longer than the autoroutes. Is it worth travelling to Chamonix or can we get good views of Mont Blanc along the way & stay elsewhere. We are not planning to hike just sight-see.

6 Answers Feb 3, 2015 at 9:47 AM
    • Road conditions in Chamoni in April

by ploypirin Online Now Jan 16, 2015 at 9:20 PM

Hello ,our groups of 7 will visit Chamonix in mid April. We plan to drive to some villages near by like Courmayeur or Les Houches and somewhere else to have a scenic view along the way.
      Will it have a lot of fogs or snow? What the road conditions will be?

3 Answers Jan 18, 2015 at 6:27 AM
    • Chamonix with a 2 year old toddler

by Derbs Online Now Oct 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Hello! I'm thinking of bringing my almost two yr old to chamonix for three months Nov - Feb. We would be staying in a self contained apartment anywhere from 10mins to one hour from town centre (walking distance). Is chamonix a good place for toddlers or would we both get more out of it waiting a year or so. Thanks :)

3 Answers Oct 21, 2014 at 6:01 AM
    • MuratU's Profile Photo

Ski to Verbier and Courmayeur, is it possible without a car?

by MuratU Online Now Sep 18, 2014 at 5:00 AM

Hi there,

I'll be traveling to Chamonix towards the end of January 2015. I'm not planning to rent a car and pretty much rely on using public transportation to move around. I'd like to try and ski in three countries! how difficult is to reach Verbier by using train or bus connections and and make it back to Cham the same day? I understand there is a direct shuttle bus every morning to Courmayeur center and takes about 45 mnts to get there. Say if you wanted to stay in town for dinner and get back to Chamonix around 9 or 10 pm with the bus, is this possible or do you have to take a very expensive taxi ride?

Thank you.

3 Answers Nov 26, 2014 at 7:27 AM
    • Hiking around Chamonix in early may

by natureluvr Online Now Apr 9, 2014 at 5:32 AM

Hi...thinking about coming to Chamonix the beginning of May and wondering if good trails will be open for hiking that won't require anything more than hiking boots....thank you

6 Answers Apr 16, 2014 at 12:09 PM
    • Which is a better train route from Chamonix to Paris?

by mum-of-3 Online Now Dec 9, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Can anyone advise the best train route from Chamonix to Paris and what is a better time to depart?

3 Answers Dec 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    • daisy13_8's Profile Photo

chamonix short visit

by daisy13_8 Online Now Dec 8, 2013 at 2:15 AM

i will be in chamonix from 22 tell 24 Dec , this is my first time and we are 2 adult and 2 kids (12- 10) , we never skied and experienced the snow before, i need advice about what to wear to be worm , where to go , and what to do there , where to eat .your recommendation much appreciated .

3 Answers Dec 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    • Good place for snowboard rental

by DixonC Online Now Nov 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I'm looking for high-end/top of the line type of gear for about 5 days. A few places online have "performance" packages for just a bit over 100 euro (for 5 days). I wouldn't mind paying that or even a bit more for good equipment.

Any recommendations as to where to look, and also a place with a decent customer service, so that they can fix any issues that may come up, exchange gear midway, wax boards/sharpen edges if needed?

3 Answers Dec 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    • Train question....Chamonix to Les Houches

by heliskier59 Online Now Nov 24, 2013 at 4:35 PM

We will be arriving to Chamonix from Zurich Airport by train on December 24th. We are travelling with a Swiss Transfer rail ticket that allows us to travel all the way to Chamonix but Les Houches is extra. The train we are travelling on to Chamonix continues on to Les Houches. Is there any way to buy tickets directly from the conductor so that we do not have to get off the train and wait for the next one? I have tried to book the ticket on the SNCF website and it should cost 19.5 Euros for the whole family but there is no way to have the ticket delivered to us. There does not appear to be an option to buy online and PRINT the tickets. If I select mail delivery and enter United States I get re-directed to Rail Europe where I will be charged a total of 65 Euros which seems outrageous for the 15 minute journey. Any ideas?

3 Answers Nov 27, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    • David_theG's Profile Photo

Looking for Lodging in Chamonix

by David_theG Online Now Nov 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Hi everyone -

I am spending ~6 weeks in Chamonix this winter, from January - mid-February 2014. I am looking to meet some people who will be getting a house/chalet. If you are looking for a roommate, please let me know!

7 Answers Nov 15, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    • Does it make sense to prepay lift tickets?

by heliskier59 Online Now Nov 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I will be travelling from the U.S. with my wife and four children to Chamonix over the Christmas Holidays. We plan on skiing for six days. Is there any advantage or discount available if we buy our lift passes in advance?
      Thanks in advance

6 Answers Nov 4, 2013 at 4:02 AM
    • Chamonix in November

by greterrr Online Now Oct 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

What is there to do in terms of outdoor activities in Chamonix in November? It seems that all of the lifts and stuff are closed, but I was wondering if it's still possible to go snowshoeing.

2 Answers Oct 19, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    • skiing november

by karinemid Online Now Oct 3, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Are the slopes open in mid November?

3 Answers Oct 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM
    • travel to other towns

by canwegetmore Online Now Sep 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM

can i take a train to annecy or do you recommend bus travel?

1 Answer Sep 15, 2013 at 3:30 AM
    • Lyon to Mines via Mt Blanc & Annecy

by marykey Online Now Sep 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I want to travel from Lyon to Mt Blanc also to see Annecy over several days maybe. After south to Nimes.
      What is the best way? Bus, train etc

1 Answer Sep 14, 2013 at 5:01 AM
    • Are ski hire and general shops open on Christmas day?

by clarkchrista5 Online Now Aug 1, 2013 at 2:28 AM

We are landing landing later on the evening of 24th and were wondering if shops (mainly the ski hire and ski pass shop) will be open on Christmas day?

3 Answers Aug 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    • AliVaisovich's Profile Photo

The Mont Blanc tunnel with the bike.

by AliVaisovich Online Now Jul 6, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Hello, I had planned Alpine Bicycle route.
      And it involves moving through the Mont Blanc tunnel.
      Tell me, are there any difficulties if use the car passing by and go hitchhiking ?

2 Answers Jul 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    • Transportation

by jfclawson Online Now Jun 24, 2013 at 6:57 AM

How can we get from Chamonix to Champex? We will not have a rental car. thank you.

5 Answers Jun 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM