change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• tracyrus11691's Profile Photo

Want to hang out?

Oban May 11, 2016 at 11:39 AM

In Oban until tomorrow, would enjoy meeting and chatting. In downtown area.

more
    • Walking Tulloch Ghru/Aviemore

Scotland May 10, 2016 at 12:44 AM

Hi!

In the midst of planning a trip to beautiful Scotland this summer. We want to visit Tulloch Ghru (spelling?) and do some hiking/walking in the area. Looking for walking routes of 1-2 days which will be filled with beautiful scenery and will be manageable for people in normal condition, but with no prior experience to long distances.

From what I gather Tulloch Ghru is close to Aviemore? But where exactly is it located? Can't find it on a map.

We are flying in from Gothenburg to Edinburgh and then planning on either renting a car or taking a bus/train from there. Any tips on other things to se on our way/in the area? Any "do not miss-places"?

Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks! :)

more
    • Three days in late October

Orkney May 23, 2016 at 1:58 PM

I will have three full days in the Orkney Islands after landing the previous evening at Kirkwall Airport from the US. Which is the most productive direction to head from Kirkwall. What can I see in my three full days? My last two attempts over the years were both rained out. This will be the only time I am ever there. Thank you.

more
    • transport to-from ullapool

Ullapool Apr 30, 2016 at 5:41 AM

looking to rent a car for one day midweek as we have a lay-over in ullapool
      any way to do this? can't find any rentals there or in dingwall, only inverness
      then, cannot find transport to-from ullapool to inverness - only 4am leave and 2pm return via bus
      help

more
    • Northern Lights

Orkney May 8, 2016 at 6:48 AM

Hello,

I will be travelling to Orkney, Kirkwall by the start of July and I would like to know if I would be able to see the Northern Lights. If I'll be able to what would be the best place to go to see them?

more
    • Northern Lights

Scotland May 8, 2016 at 6:29 AM

Hello,

I will be travelling to Orkney, Kirkwall by the start of July and I would like to know if I would be able to see the Northern Lights. If I'll be able to what would be the best place to go to see them?

more
    • lucy321's Profile Photo

highlands for nine nights by hire car

Scotland May 5, 2016 at 10:58 PM

My sister and I have 6 nights in Edinburgh booked in early July (I know it's school holidays but it was the only time my sister could join me). In that time I guess we can visit some of the nearer places to Edinburgh by public transport.

Then we will hire a car which we will have for nine nights. We don't want to be constantly driving, so I thought about three stops to use as bases would be good. We would rather stop for a few nights in one place and explore from there. That's why I thought of three stops at three nights each.

My sister's only stipulation is that she sees Iona. I want to see highlands, scenery, walk, wildlife including sea birds. We are both interested in churches, castles etc.

I have been given some suggestions - stay in Oban, go over to Mull, Iona and Coll (question - would we take the car across and stay in Mull or stay in Oban and do day trips?
      Then, go to Torridon and explore around there.
      Then, go to Loch Rannoch.
      Return to Edinburgh (perhaps in the morning of the last day).

Does that sound interesting and do able? I'm a bit desperate as I'm having to try to plan this in a bit of a hurry and I'm anxious about accommodation being booked up.

Other places that have been mentioned are Glencoe, Plockton to Skye, Cromarty, Inverness. Also East Neuks (but I think maybe we could go there on a day trip from Edinburgh?)

Personally, I have always wanted to go to the Orkneys, but I think it would be too rushed to try to do that? I could arrive in Scotland before my sister and go there by myself at a more leisurely pace...

I know that the gist of this question has been answered many times and I apologise for that! Any concrete advice on a route would be gratefully accepted!

more
    • tracyrus11691's Profile Photo

Places to sleep and eat

Scotland May 2, 2016 at 1:47 PM

My 14 yo daughter and I are driving around Scotland for the next two weeks. We'll be in Edinburgh on Tuesday May 3. Please suggest affordable places to eat and sleep. We're looking at hostels and Airbnb. We'll also being going to Inverness, The Highlands and Isle of Skye. Your suggestions for those places are welcomed as well. Thank you in advance.

more
    • lucy321's Profile Photo

Oban and islands mainly

Scotland May 7, 2016 at 11:49 PM

I'm feeling a bit stressed! Help! Here are my certainties: 6 nights in Edinburgh in early July. Then 9 nights car hire (not booked yet). Do not want a stressed holiday, would much rather spend a while in each place.

Is Oban a good place to stay in its own right?

Can we get to Islay from there with our car? And Mull? And how long for in each island?

I was thinking a night in Oban, two nights on Islay, back to Oban and then two nights on Mull.

Then from there to Pitlochry for two nights.

I really have no idea about island trips with a car, even though I feel like I have spent hours poring over the internet.

My other question is - I know it's school holidays - do we absolutely have to book everything in advance?

Thanks,
      Lucy

more
    • evaanna's Profile Photo

Need advice on our itinerary in Scotland

Scotland May 4, 2016 at 11:01 PM

We are thinking of taking another 2-week trip to Scotland this September. This year we want to hire a car again and see some places south of Edinburgh, then go west and visit an island or two, then on to Oban, Glen Coe and no further north than Ullapool as we had gone to the north last year, then back to Edinburgh, perhaps via Inverness and Pitlochry, which we missed last year. On our last year's trip we stayed on Skye and went up north to Durness and Tongue and back via Dundee and Fife so we don't want to repeat that. We'd rather not change places every day as we did last year but stay at B&B's, small guest houses or Travelodges for 2 or 3 nights at a time and make day trips from there. Can you suggest 4 or 5 places from which it will be easy to do sightseeing in the area? Which island (islands) would be best to visit? We like rocky scenery, interesting architecture and castles rather than beaches as we live close to beaches in Poland but we wouldn't mind watching some sea animals. Suggestions of inexpensive accommodation would be very welcome too. Thank you ever so much for your help.

more
    • Problems with wicked campervans?

Scotland Yesterday

Hi everybody,

I am Rubén from Spain. I want to spend 10 days in Scotland visiting the Highlands and I want to hire a campervan for 2 people for all the trip. I have been searching and the cheapest option is a campervan from a company called "Wicked campervans" (45 gbp/day). On the other hand, I have been looking for comments and opinions for this company and I have seen that it is not too much recommended by people due to offensive slogans painted in the van and other kind of problems (fi bad maintenance, dirt...)

Has anybody experience with this company? Do you recommend others cheap hiring campervan companies?

Many thanks for your attention

Best wishes

Rubén

more
    • traveling mid to end may this year- only have 6 full days

Edinburgh May 1, 2016 at 7:01 AM

Traveling with my 20 yr old daughter
      we will walk all over city what are the must do's
      islands? castle? top 5 must do things-
      love also f there are hiking ideas as well
      not into museums-or shopping for traditional items - more into unique
      and ofcourse we love to eat

more
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

August itinerary

Scotland May 7, 2016 at 9:29 AM

I've trying to get the rough outline of my trip done up so I can start booking some hotels, let me know if I'm missing something really wonderful. I'll have a few days in London and 1 1/2 days in Edinburgh, one of which I'm day tripping to Glasgow, before Mr. Dabs arrives and we pick up the car, end of August/early September. Big fan of Outlander as you regulars probably already know

Friday Killearn (Outlander), Roslyn chapel is a maybe, can spend the day near Loch Lomond, staying in Dumbarton (stayed here last year before the same swim)

Saturday swim Loch Lomond 10:30am, will have time to see something during the day, head back to Edinburgh for the Tattoo at 7:30pm, stay Edinburgh Park

Sunday Bamburgh castle, Alnwick castle (Downton Abbey), hotel????

Monday Hadrian’s Wall/Housesteads Roman Fort, need to go through the option of places to visit that you gave me on a previous post, hotel near/outside Glasgow?

Tuesday Loch Awe, Inverary Castle (have been to both, Mr. Dabs hasn't), stay in Oban?

Wednesday morning ferry to Mull if possible, stay on Mull, will have car

Thursday looking at boat tours to the Treshnish Isles, hotel Mull or Oban depending on timetables

Friday don't have anything for Friday yet, need to be reasonably close to Loch Ard for the swim at night

Saturday another swim Loch Ard, starts at 11:15, this is not booked yet and isn't essential
      Scone Palace if we have enough time, hotel Pitlochry? Pitlochry is not a must but I thought it looked nice when we drove through on our way to Inverness last year

Sunday head back to Edinburgh, can see Scone on the way back, hotel booked in Edinburgh, fly home next morning

Questions
      1) where to stay between Alnwick and Housesteads, would like to get closer to Housesteads so we can get going in the am

2) where to stay between Housesteads and Oban, I picked outside Glasgow so we weren't driving in the dark

3) where to stay on Mull? I'm guessing it will not be inexpensive which is why I'd be thinking about only one night on Mull

4) recommendations for wildlife boat trips from Mull to ??? I see that it's not puffin season but that there is the possibility of whales or seals. I've found a few to Treshnish

I had a look at Applecross and the rest of Skye and while I'd love to see all of it, I don't want to spend that much time in the car on this trip.

Thanks!

more
    • Immigration Check Confusion

Glasgow May 15, 2016 at 5:32 AM

I am going to New Delhi from Glasgow Airport via London Heathrow from British Airways. The connection time between the flights are 3 hrs 30 mins at London Heathrow. So I am confused about the immigration check, whether it will be at Glasgow Airport or at London Airport. And if at London Airport, the 3 hrs 30 min window is safe or not?
      Please Reply
      Thank You

more
    • Amyfredjo's Profile Photo

Last minute Highlands/Island (June) agenda, please assist?

Scotland Apr 27, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Hello!

Last year, my 23 year old daughter and I fell in love with Scotland.  I had some great help from the travelers here on VT!

We have not stopped talking about it since.  The friendly people, jaw dropping scenery, kilts, bagpipes, history, and yes, event the food -it is all so fantastic. We toured Glasgow very briefly (International Pipes Championship was legendary), Edinburgh Fringe, Military Tattoo, 1 day St. Andrews /Fife(with Rabbies, FANTASTIC), 1 day Glencoe/Inverary/Loch Lomond (with Rabbies, FANTASTIC!).  

By the way - there was very little rain over 12 days! I had to buy sunglasses in Oban and one day, we got sunburned! 

And now, I am so thrilled that we are returning! This year, we were fortunate enough to be accepted last minute to the Isle of Skye half marathon on June 11 - a fantastic excuse to GO BACK! I recently lost my job, so visiting Scotland will cheer me up greatly, I know.  I am so happy just anticipating this trip, all smiles.

This year, we plan to focus mostly on the country/islands.  I have the first few days planned out, as we have the marathon and needed to get set.  But after that, we don’t know how to best use the time and then land back in Glasgow for departure on Sunday morning.

Noting that we will be in Skye for several days, what do you recommend for the next  6 days following? Also, should I rent a car after leaving Skye?  I am a fantastic driver in USA and can even drive a stick.  Is is scary to drive in Scotland? I am totally open to some guided touring if I could figure out (they all seem to leave from Glasgow/Edinburgh).

Your assistance is greatly appreciated, folks!

Goals: •    Outlander sites

Castles (Tour and maybe stay in one?) •    Whisky (Speyside touring?) and notably historic/fun PUBS •    Gorgeous, stunning scenery •    Quaint Inns •    Tobermorry! •    Incredible food including SEAFOOD (we are foodies) •    Fun •    Shopping •    Possibly: Fly/Ferry to Northern Ireland/Dublin?

Current uncompleted agenda:

Day 1 : Destination :Fort William Arrival Edinburgh 7:10 AM from USA     Edinburgh to Fort William train, departure 10:48 AM, arrival 4:30 pm     Overnight Fort William Day 2: Destination: Isle of Skye Depart Fort Wiliam on Jacobite Steam train to Mailleg, arrival 12:30 pm     Depart Mailleg to Armadale, Isle of Skye (TBD)     Armadale to Portree , Skye (Taxi?)     Overnight, Portree, Skye, Day 3    Destination: Skye
          Isle of Skye Half Marathon! 10 am-2 pm (ish)
          REST/Eat/Shop/?
          Overnight, Portree, Skye
      Day 4    Destination: Skye
          Scheduled Tour , “SkyeBus” , Real Scottish Tours, 9 am – 7 pm
          Overnight, Skye????

The rest…OPEN- Need advise from passionate travelers!
      Day 5    Monday
      Day 6    Tuesday
      Day 7    Wednesday
      Day 8    Thursday
      Day 9    Friday
      Day 10    Saturday
      Day 11: Depart Glasgow 10:45 AM

Thanks to any and al who view this and can assist.

Best,

Amy

more