VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Canberra Travel Answers

change location
missy.pulliam's Profile Photo

Mysterious Lake George

by missy.pulliam Online Now Apr 22, 2009 at 5:19 AM

One of the reviewers (schmoopy) described Mysterious Lake George as lying about 20 miles from Canberra and a beautiful place to visit. It would be interesting to know what activities are available and info on camping facilities available, if any?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • craic's Profile Photo

Re: Mysterious Lake George

by craic Online Now Apr 22, 2009 at 5:33 AM

we used to drive past lake george all the time - in recent years it has always been dry and i have read that because of a new drainage system that is likely to continue

i have only seen it full once - maybe 20 years ago

personally i find it rather unpretty - though mysterious of course - just a flat plain with a few sheep grazing on it - the odd down market shop as you drive by it

there may be camping facilities near by - and activities - but as I say we used to live close by and it has never seemed to be a hub of tourist activity

i have noticed the odd winery offering cellar door tastings

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Apr 22, 2009 at 1:01 PM

can't give you info about campgrounds - but have you seen this interesting text on Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_G...

They write about a windfarm being erected there, and about hanggliding. There also some links to follow up.

• wallywombat's Profile Photo

by wallywombat Online Now Apr 23, 2009 at 5:44 AM

In my opinion Lake George is a boring dry lake with fences and sheep the only things visible as you drive past it to go to Canberra
    Why anyone would want to camp there is beyond me - its farmland .
    My son was in a wedding at a Winery across the road and they drove out onto the lake for photos .
    Australia has a lot better places to camp than there but it is interesting that in the past and I am sure sometime in the future the distant future since we are in drought it will fill up .No one knows when thats what makes it special .It does have a lookout which gives a great view across the waterless lake might be worth a look .
    When full it is 7 metres deep and covers 900 square kilometres being 25 km long and 10km wide I think it last had pools of water in about 2001.
    I suggest you Google Lake George Canberra and see the reports for yourself

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines