VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
Brazil

change location
  • schurlif's Profile Photo

cel phone chip upon arrival at airport

Brasil Nov 18, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Even though I myself live in Brazil for 30 years now I don´t know which steps a foreign tourist ( friend of mine from Vienna ) has to take to get a mobile phone chip, register it with the provider and buy credits.... Any quick fix answers asap ? Thx in advance

2 Answers Nov 19, 2016 at 5:50 PM
  • bobsnicholson's Profile Photo

Best time of year

Brazil Nov 17, 2016 at 6:27 AM

Is there a best time of the year to visit Iguazu Falls. We are flexible so can go anytime. Regards

11 Answers Nov 17, 2016 at 8:47 AM
  • Aeropuerto International Cataratas del Iguazu

Iguassu Nov 6, 2016 at 5:23 AM

Hello,
    We are arriving on 16th November at Aeropuerto International Cataratas del Iguazu at 3 pm and need to go to Hotel Harbor Colonial, Rodovia das Cataratas Km 20 Foz do Iguaçu (Paraná), 85863-000, Brazil. Can you please, inform us what options do we have?

Thank you in advance.

1 Answer Nov 6, 2016 at 5:57 AM
  • gmg88860's Profile Photo

Travel flow around Salvador Nov 10-25

Brazil Oct 19, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Flying into SSA around Nov 10 I want to visit the following places with minimal doubling back. How does this look?

Nov 10 -arrive Salvador for Foz de Iguacu
    3 nights Salvador -
    3 days/2 night side trip Lencois (night bus from Salvador)
    2 night side trip Sao Felix/Cachoreia (from Lencois via Feira de Santana (bus)
    -Salvador via bus from Sao Felix/Cachoreia
    3+ night side trip Morro de Sao Paulo or maybe on to Boipeba (boat/boat) Somewhere with a decent balance of not to busy but not too secluded. a little nightlife is good, no wild parties. I'm 55 :)
    depart Salvador around Nov 25 for Rio

Thanks in advance

1 Answer Oct 20, 2016 at 6:44 AM

Chapada Diamantina

Brazil Oct 19, 2016 at 7:13 PM

What is the weather like around Lençois in mid November? I read somewhere rains come in November. I'm thinking of a daypack only 3 day side trip from Salvador. Would I need rain gear?

2 Answers Oct 22, 2016 at 12:09 AM
  • Connecting through Rio De Janeiro

Brazil Sep 21, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Hi!. As it turns out I will be visiting Brazil within the month. I am travelling through Rio De Janerio and Salvador. Does anyone know what the clearing process in Rio is like? I only have about 1hr 45 minutes to catch a connecting flight and clear customs in Rio, so I am debating on checking luggage. I don't want to have to pack that light if I can help it since I will need a lot of personal belongings for my stay. If the consensuses is that the process is smooth enough then I will try and check luggage. Any help is appreciated!

4 Answers Sep 22, 2016 at 10:07 AM
  • Day rooms available?

Rio de Janeiro Sep 14, 2016 at 5:39 PM

After our cruise, we have approximately a 9 hour wait in Rio until we have to be at the airport.
    We will have already taken a Rio tour but was wondering if anyone could recommend a hotel that rents "day rooms", preferably by one of the beaches.

1 Answer Sep 14, 2016 at 5:57 PM
  • Traveling from Surinam to São Luis

São Luís Sep 6, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Hi there, my friend and I are looking to travel to São Luis from Paramaribo, Surinam. We really want to visit Brazil but a state close to Paramaribo as we are traveling by ferry and bus as we do not want to be tied up in air travel. Is São Luis a near enough place to visit and how can we get from Paramaribo to SL without air travel? Any suggestions about other closer states are welcome. Thanks so much.

1 Answer Sep 30, 2016 at 2:23 AM
  • annalecce's Profile Photo

Pantanal and Bonito in November

Pantanal Aug 17, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Is it November a good period to visit Mato Grosso do Sul, or it's too rainy? My husband and I are planning to get there at about November 10 for a week about. We would like to know if it rains all the day long or it is like monsoon, some hours of rain and then comes the sun. And in the zone of Bonito? It is out of this topic, but we want to visit also Minas Gerais during our itinerary. How is the weather like in November there?

1 Answer Oct 17, 2016 at 1:06 PM
  • Art from "Patricia Mena?"

Parati Aug 8, 2016 at 3:33 PM

In 2000 my family and me travelled from North- to South America in a mobile home for 25 months. On our way we passed Parati and bought some wonderful abstract collages from a female artist whose name was something like "Patricia Mena?" At that time she ran her own gallery, but unfortunately I can`t exactly read her name from the signature and can`t find her name anywhere in the internet. Does anybody know this gallery or name of the artist? I`d really like to contact her and want to know what she`s doing right now.
    Best regards from Germany, Bettina

3 Answers Aug 9, 2016 at 2:07 AM
  • SubodhK2's Profile Photo

Package for Sao Paulo and Rio

Brazil Jul 25, 2016 at 8:04 AM

I am going to Sao Paulo for business trip and i have three days. Please suggest me any option to visit with in three days. I am returning back from Sao Paulo airport and i am interested to visit Rio too.

5 Answers Sep 19, 2016 at 1:19 PM
  • Buggy Tour

Natal Jul 18, 2016 at 5:59 PM

My partner and I would like to take a 2 day buggy tour from Natal to Maracajau (to snorkle) on February 3, 2017, returning to Natal by way of a tour to Genipabu on the second day. We are Canadian and speak English, if possible it would be good to have an english speaking buggy driver/tour guide. Or, I would be interested in renting a buggy and driving myself.Either way, Is this a possibility and how much money would this sort of tour/rental cost? Would it be possible to get a list of companies/people to get in touch with regarding a tour like this? Thank you, Leonard

• Luggage and transport to Puerto Iguazú

Parque Nacional do Iguaçu Jul 15, 2016 at 9:18 AM

We are a couple. In november 26 (saturday) we are going to arrive in Foz do Iguacu airport, we would see Foz do Iguaçu Natural Park and then go to the hotel in Puerto Iguazú (Argentina).
    We would ask you if it's possible to leave luggage in a safe place in Visitor's Center in the park, and then later to take it and have direct transportation from Park to Puerto Iguazú.
    Thank you very much in advance

2 Answers Jul 16, 2016 at 10:02 AM
  • Birth certificate

Brazil Jul 4, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Hello, does anyone knows how can we get a birth certificate from brazil without travelling there? Is there any online services?
    Thank you for the help

4 Answers Jul 5, 2016 at 4:53 AM
  • Weather and danger ?

Rio de Janeiro Jul 4, 2016 at 7:36 AM

I ll be there between the 12th and the 23 th of july , so how is the weather like ? Can we swim ? What clothes to bring ?

5 Answers Jul 5, 2016 at 3:07 AM
  • Headsets for a pc

Curitiba Jun 27, 2016 at 4:28 AM

I need to buy a new headset for my pc, will I be able to buy one in the mall?
    If so how much ?

2 Answers Jun 27, 2016 at 2:48 PM
  • packing for end of June

Rio de Janeiro Jun 3, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Is it warm enough for a bathing suit? Are Jeans okay? Do I need a raincoat?

6 Answers Jun 22, 2016 at 10:12 AM
  • English Fun Women Tour Guide

Manaus May 27, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Hi,
    I am looking for a "fun" good looking and young English speaking tour guide to show me around Manaus for a day plus dinner and entertainment. I will be in Manuas Sept 8 - 11 - I am good looking 50 year old north American.

7 Answers May 31, 2016 at 8:17 AM
  • Traveling to Gramado from Porto Alegre

Gramado May 18, 2016 at 11:32 PM

Hi, I am planning to visit to Gramado during 3rd week of July, 2016 for two days and need following few clarification, as I am travelling from India and have an international driving license, and am fairly good at driving around the world.

1. Should I take a rent-a-car from Porto Alegre for two days, are there rent-a-car companies available near airport.
    2. Would it be safe to drive around Gramado and Canela, with family.
    3. what would be rentals for automatic car and if you may give some contact details for the car rental companies near airport.
    4. Which hotels are good, having rentals about US$ 100 per night.

Thanks in advance. / Sanjay Tiwari

• Colombo to Rio

Rio de Janeiro May 18, 2016 at 5:22 AM

How can I get there with one change?!!

2 Answers May 18, 2016 at 6:11 AM
  • diana_renou's Profile Photo

Bus from Ouro Preto to Tiradentes

Tiradentes May 15, 2016 at 6:17 PM

Hi everybody. i would need to know how to go from Ouro Preto to Tiradentes by public transportation (bus). Does anyone know if it es posible? It is needed to take more than one bus? A lot of thanks for any help!!!

1 Answer May 15, 2016 at 7:31 PM
  • Beach Party?

Fortaleza May 13, 2016 at 2:06 PM

My friend and I were at the mall yesterday and a sales girl at one of the shops said Friday night had awesome beach parties but i cant find anything online about it. Which beach or beaches have the parties? And which one is best? We are hoping to meet local girls that arent prostitutes.

1 Answer May 17, 2016 at 7:33 AM

Packing for 4 weeks in Brazil

Brazil May 8, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Ola everyone. I will be in Brazil 4 weeks in November 2016. Only firm dates so far are my flights arriving Rio Nov. 2 and departing Rio Dec 2. I am leaning toward airbnb, couchsurfing, and or pousadas as accommodations. I may cross paths with family or friends at some point during my stay but I'm planning as a solo traveler. I'm thinking of the following route

• Rio - 5 nights
    • Iguacu - 3 nights
    • Manaus - 3-10 night (flexible) maybe include Santarem and or Belem
    • Salvador - 7-10 nights (flexible)
    • Rio - 3-5 nights

My first thought was a 29 inch wheeIed beast and a small to midsized daypack. I really would rather not drag a big wheeled suitcase around so I'm looking for packing tips. Maybe a travel backpack and a collapsible duffel for souvenirs on the way out. Any tips, tricks and insights are greatly appreciated.

Muito Obrigado, George

6 Answers Oct 22, 2016 at 12:08 AM
  • Planning a trip for couples in February 2017

Rio de Janeiro Apr 18, 2016 at 4:47 PM

Hello lovely people,

I'm planning a trip to rio with10 couples in February next year. We are looking to spend time in rio for Valentine's Day (February 14th) and carnival. We also want to see attractions like: Christ the Redeemer, Copacabana, Ipanema, Sugarloaf Mountain, Jardim Botanico, Santa Teresa Neighborhood, Lapa Neighborhood, Tijuca National Park, Lagoa Neighborhood and downtown. I have four questions:
    1. Is there a central location where we can stay and get to all these places within a 2 hour bus ride?
    2. If so, what hotels do you suggest.
    3. If not, what two hotels should I be looking at?
    4. Lastly, is there any other sites that I'm missing that will help us learn about rio's culture and any romantic places I should know about?

Thank you all for your help!!!!!

7 Answers May 16, 2016 at 7:12 PM
  • arts research/ stay with community near Manaus/ ayahuasca

Manaus Apr 13, 2016 at 4:45 AM

Hi everyone. I hope you are well. I am travelling from Ireland to Manaus towards the end of May. I am an artist researching for a new project and I am interested in knowing more about shamanism, ayahuasca and an indian community's way of life including integration of music and dance. I would love to find a community near Manaus with whom I could possibly stay for a week or or a little more, and to take part in an ayahuasca ceremony if possible (I have done this twice before). If anyone can help me I would be extremely grateful! With thanks, Ann

• sof76's Profile Photo

Porto de Galinhas - Dicas

Brazil Mar 17, 2016 at 7:25 AM

Boa tarde! Tem alguem de Porto de galinhas?? Preciso dicas!!
    Obrigada

)

1 Answer Mar 17, 2016 at 7:47 AM
  • CULTURAL EVENTS

Rio de Janeiro Mar 13, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Hello, I.m going to Rio from the 21st to the 27th of April and Im interested in seeing perhaps some shows, plays, ballet, dance there., art exhibits
    Do you know of a website where I could find all the cultural agenda?

Thanks a million!

1 Answer Mar 14, 2016 at 4:57 AM
  • whodunit's Profile Photo

Another where to stay- this one for k-1 medical and interview

Rio de Janeiro Feb 23, 2016 at 11:56 PM

I have been to Brazil many times including Rio de Janeiro. However, this trip is a little different for me. My Brazilian fiancé is flying in from the north east of Brazil for her medical exam for the K-1. I will be landing in Rio de Janeiro a couple of days later as I am meeting her so we can go to the consulate together for the interview. I am looking for hotels/pousadas in the two locations that are as inexpensive as possible while remaining clean and safe. I realize "safe" is a subjective term and in more dangerous cities, can be relative at best. I have been to Rio many times but all but one time were on business and stayed in Copacabana or Ipanema. I have been to many neighborhoods but never gave a good look at places to stay. I have some friends there who are full with babies or travel who are full with such things in life that make it difficult for us to stay near them. One recommended Barra da Tijuca while another said that it is simply too far. My fiancé of course speaks Portuguese (as do I) but is not a seasoned traveler and is nervous about the safety in Rio, especially while she is alone.

Someone has recommended to me Botafogo/Humaitá for a balance of access to these locations/transportation, safety, and price. The interview is at Av. Presidente Wilson, 147 - Castelo 20030-020. I can't find the address for the medical but one of the doctors recommended this place saying it's fairly close and reasonably inexpensive and safe: HOSTEL LEBLON ALL SUITES, Rua Joao Lira 149 CEP 22430-210 Leblon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

6 Answers Feb 24, 2016 at 7:41 AM
  • Safe to rent a car?

Curitiba Feb 17, 2016 at 2:05 PM

I will be staying in Curitiba with my husband and 5 year old daughter. My husband will be attending a seminar during the day. I was hoping to rent a car so my daughter and I could go for lunch, go shopping, etc. Then at night, we could have a car to go to dinner. Just curious if it is safe for just me and my daughter to do this alone during day? Or should we stick with the taxis? We are traveling from the United States. Thank you!!!

3 Answers Apr 13, 2016 at 5:46 AM
  • Weather at the end of March?

Rio de Janeiro Feb 2, 2016 at 4:37 AM

Hi, I am going to Rio end of March (20th) and was wondering what weather to expect? I have seen mixed posts about this but would like to know/hoping I am going to see more sun than rain and that it will be hot? As I will be doing a few tours and to come back with a good tan!

3 Answers Feb 2, 2016 at 8:02 AM