VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
Argentina

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Iguazu, both sides in 12 hours

Puerto Iguazú Feb 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM

Hi all,
      We will arrive in Puerto Iguazu in the morning(around 11 am) and leave from brazilian side (IGU) next day at noon.

1. How can we see both argentinian and brasilian side in this time frame? Any advice is more than welcomed.
      2. Where to sleep? Argentina or Brasil?
      3. Any recommendation for a boat trip?

Many thanks

more
    • Iguazu, both sides in 12 hours

Puerto Iguazú Feb 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM

Hi all,
      We will arrive in Puerto Iguazu in the morning(around 11 am) and leave from brazilian side (IGU) next day at noon.

1. How can we see both argentinian and brasilian side in this time frame? Any advice is more than welcomed.
      2. Where to sleep? Argentina or Brasil?
      3. Any recommendation for a boat trip?

Many thanks

1 Answer Feb 11, 2017 at 3:06 PM
    • agathi's Profile Photo

tours to el Calafate

El Calafate Jan 21, 2017 at 8:58 AM

Hallo my friends. Pls advice me to the following:
      1. A good tour company to make the Upsala and spegazzini glaciers tour.
      2. Would you suggest to visit also the Estancia Cristina or only the boat tour?
      3. Any other half day tour you would suggest that is worth. Our plane leaves at 17.00 so we have the morning free.
      Many thanks.

• River Plate Game

Buenos Aires Jan 20, 2017 at 3:32 AM

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend and I are going to Buenos Aires in March, and we'd like to go a to a football game. Since Boca Junior is playing away, we'd like to go to River Plate vs. Sarmiento de Junin (March 19th).

It seems that tickets are available on Viagogo, but the cheapest are about 65€ / each. Do you know any other way to get tickets (I'd rather avoid buying tickets in the streets before the game, since I've read some of them are fake).

Thank you very much! Romain

• agathi's Profile Photo

snow months in ushuaia

Ushuaia Jan 5, 2017 at 2:20 PM

we would like to visit ushuaia during some snow period. But we wouldn't like it to be during the heavy winter months. From late April to late May would we have any chance to find snow? Thank you very much.

2 Answers Jan 5, 2017 at 11:20 PM
    • agathi's Profile Photo

Visiting Cape Horn

Ushuaia Jan 1, 2017 at 3:44 AM

Hallo and a happy new year to everybody!
      Can you pls tell me if we could sail to cape horn from Ushuaia without having to take a cruise with Australis or any other company that travels for days? Thank you very much.

1 Answer Jan 2, 2017 at 11:26 AM
    • From Iguazu to Peru

Argentina Dec 26, 2016 at 7:55 AM

I'm planning a 3 weeks trip in South America next year, in mid March. The itinerary includes Urguay, Argentina, Peru and Bolivia. At some point we'll be visiting Iguazu Falls then we need to get to Peru (Lima).

The problem is that the flights from Iguazu Falls to Lima are very expensive so we tried to find an alternative rout for getting to Lima.
      One route that I have in mind is to fly from Iguazu to Salta, then to go by bus to Calama, where we'll take a flight to Santiago then Lima.
      This way we have a chance to visit some of the Atacama main attractions. This segment was not planned and I don;t want to spend too man days because it will shorten our time allocated for Peru.

In this case what would be the minimum number of days to spend for getting from Salta to Calama? And what is considered a must to see in this area?

Are there other viable alternatives for getting from Iguazu Falls to Peru?

4 Answers Dec 28, 2016 at 2:53 AM
    • 10 Days in Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires Dec 19, 2016 at 2:47 AM

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend and I are going to Argentina next March. We arrive on March 16th AM and leave on March 26th PM, so we have ten days there!

We have always wanted to visit Buenos Aires, so we would like to spend some of these 10 days there, but do you think we have enough time to visit another place? We were thinking of crossing the Rio de la Plata to go to Colonia for a day or two - any advice/recommandation on that? It seems it would be too short for an excursion to Iguazu falls or Patagonia...!

Also, please share as many tips as you have on Buenos Aires! :) It's the first time we're going there.

Thanks a lot,

Romain

3 Answers Dec 19, 2016 at 1:53 PM
    • visiting Punta de Vacas

Punta de Vacas Dec 18, 2016 at 9:45 PM

thanks there,

when is an ideal timing to visit the place? i am not okay with the cold weather

Thanks,
      Bereket

2 Answers Dec 18, 2016 at 10:00 PM
    • Shopping in Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires Dec 14, 2016 at 10:59 AM

What kind of shopping is available in Buenos Aires?

3 Answers Dec 15, 2016 at 11:15 AM
    • Starbucks Coffee Shops

Buenos Aires Dec 14, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Do they have Starbucks Coffee shops in Buenos Aires?

2 Answers Dec 14, 2016 at 9:44 PM
    • BE001903's Profile Photo

Transport in the north

Argentina Dec 5, 2016 at 8:07 AM

We want to explore the following regions in Argentina next year in May: Buenos Aires, Mendoza, Talampaya NP, Salta,Puna, Tolar Grande/Salar Rio Grande/ Antofagasta de la Sierra, esteros del Ibera, Iguazu falls. Most agencies advise us to do a self drive due to the fact that private transport (with driver ) is very expensive. Has anyone done self drives in this region? Is this doable as a foreigner?

4 Answers Dec 23, 2016 at 11:43 AM
    • bobsnicholson's Profile Photo

Best time of year

Argentina Nov 17, 2016 at 6:29 AM

Is there a best time of the year to visit Iguazu Falls. We are flexible so can travel anytime. Regards

5 Answers Nov 17, 2016 at 11:28 AM
    • bobsnicholson's Profile Photo

Iguazu Falls

Argentina Nov 17, 2016 at 5:07 AM

2017 we WILL be visiting The Iguazu Falls. Is there a best time of the year to do them. We are flexible so can go anytime.
      regards

10 Answers Nov 19, 2016 at 12:53 AM
    • Car hire or organised tour?

Salta Sep 27, 2016 at 11:26 PM

We (fit older couple) will stay 3 days in Salta March/April 2017 then wish to visit Cafayate, Cachi and Tilura over 7 more days. Would it be better to hire a car or join a tour group to visit these places?

5 Answers Oct 24, 2016 at 10:18 AM
    • siti_aminah's Profile Photo

Working Visa in Argentina

Argentina Sep 13, 2016 at 6:40 AM

Hello All,

I would like to find a job in Argentina, particularly in Buenos Aires. But first, I will need to travel there.

1) What are the precautions I should take if I wish to find a job there? I can understand Spanish.

2) Can a tourist visa holder find a job in Argentina?

Thanks so much!

Saludos!

3 Answers Sep 17, 2016 at 6:06 AM
    • King Crab in October

Ushuaia Aug 24, 2016 at 12:43 PM

We have read that this area is known for it's King Crab? Any experience anyone? We will be there the end of October.

2 Answers Sep 6, 2016 at 9:10 AM
    • Dollar cost of living

Buenos Aires Jul 26, 2016 at 7:44 AM

In dollar terms, is Buenos Aires more expensive today with just one exchange rate compared to a year ago? Is there still a market for "blue" dollars? Thanks.

4 Answers Jul 26, 2016 at 10:32 AM
    • Argentina Travel

Buenos Aires Jun 22, 2016 at 11:44 PM

What are good cities to see? what's the best for transportation short and long distances? Where are good/cheap places to stay? Are hostels a good option? What should a tourist be cautious of while flying in to Buenos Aires and traveling around the country? Is it easy to get transportation to the Patagonias and a place to stay? Are there buses or other ways of transportation from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro that's relatively cheap and safe?

3 Answers Aug 16, 2016 at 6:42 PM
    • Camp stove fuel

Argentina Jun 22, 2016 at 8:14 AM

Can one buy propane canisters for jet boil back packing stoves in El Calafate? Or Ushuaia?

• BE001903's Profile Photo

Which places to visit in 3 weeks

Argentina Jun 19, 2016 at 11:01 AM

We plan to travel to Argentina next year in May. Seen the time of year that rules out the Southern part of the country. We're interested in nature, culture, people watching, visiting wine estates and spotting capybaras. We plan to go 3 weeks so what should definitely be on our itinerary?
      In the Mendoza area are their agencies that organised trips to wine estates? We really do not want to drive ourselves since we want to sample the wines. When we were in Chile (Colchagua area) we stayed at one estate and got picked up each morning to visit 2 or 3 estates, we would also take lunch at an estate at noon. We really loved that and hope we can do a similar 2 full days in Mendoza.
      Is Ibera a good place to visit and spot capybaras? Any suggestions for that area?

3 Answers Jun 20, 2016 at 5:24 PM
    • mydreamquest's Profile Photo

Changes in BsAs since 2004?

Buenos Aires Jun 4, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Hello, it's been over 12 years since I last visited Argentina. Has it changed much since then? What is the political and economic climate today compared to 2004?

My recollection might be different because in 2004, mobile devices weren't as prevalent as they are today.

I'm beginning to research spending time in BsAs and possibly Bariloche or Mendoza in October.

What changes can I expect?

1 Answer Jun 5, 2016 at 2:00 AM
    • Cold weather

San Carlos de Bariloche Jun 1, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Hi to all. I'm writting to you because I'm visiting Bariloche next month and I'm not well-equipped as regards winter clothes so I wanted you to tell me a place where they sell good quality winter clothes. Once I get there I'll buy some.

Any idea/ suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

4 Answers Jun 7, 2016 at 5:26 AM
    • Road trip around Salta!

Salta May 30, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Hi all! We intend to visit Salta for 5 days, from 23 (noon) to 28 (morning) August 2016. We definitely want to make a road trip to all surrounding areas within this period, staying overnight at different places. Based on some rough calculations drawn over a map, we think it would be nice visiting (and sleeping at) Purmamarca (quick visit to Humahuaca included), Cachi, Cafayate, and then back to Salta.
      We would so much appreciate your contribution into planning a wonderful round trip, by suggesting either alternative must-see places along this route (e.g. stopover at Jujui) or a different route to involve additional cities like, maybe, San Miguel de Tucuman (?). How's the weather by that period? Please help... Greetings from Greece!

• maestrousmc's Profile Photo

Dollar or Argentine Peso

Buenos Aires May 16, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Hello all. I'm traveling to Buenos Aires this Thursday, May 19. I have conflicting info from websites and friends that have been there. Long story, short, is it better to use U.S. Dollars there instead of Pesos? Which is more accepted and practical. All internet searches speak of the "blue dollar" but it appears as if that's not relevant anymore. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

9 Answers May 18, 2016 at 6:09 AM
    • Transportation?

Provincia de Santa Cruz May 13, 2016 at 6:45 AM

What are all the types of transportation in Santa Cruz, Argentina and cost in $?

• agathi's Profile Photo

taxi and bus fares

Puerto Iguazú May 5, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Any recent info about the cost of a taxi and of the bus from the puerto Iguazu airport to the centre of the town? Thank you.

• agathi's Profile Photo

Guarani Village

Puerto Iguazú May 3, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Do you have any personal experience on visiting a Guarani Village at the argentinian side? Any recomendation of the company you made the visit?

• jako007's Profile Photo

Traveling Argentina for 2 weeks in the summer

Argentina Apr 27, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Hi all,

I'm going to travel Argentina for 2 weeks in the summer by myself. Starting in Buenos Aires. What do you think? Any recommendations for a route?

Thanks a lot guys!!

5 Answers Jun 21, 2016 at 10:06 AM
    • agathi's Profile Photo

Practical info

Puerto Iguazú Apr 22, 2016 at 3:53 PM

1.Can you pls tell me where do all people who claim to get so wet during the boat trip in the cataratas change their clothes? Are there any special places?
      2. Are there lockers at the argentinian falls? Wher can someone leave one's bag?
      3. Is the ticket for the falls valid for the whole day, which means one can leave and come later back?
      4. Are the buses often coming and going or is it better to have a car rent and feel free to leave any time?
      Thanks a lot.

3 Answers Apr 22, 2016 at 4:22 PM
    • agathi's Profile Photo

visiting a Guarani Village

Puerto Iguazú Apr 21, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Has anybody visited any Guarani village where these people live now? How can one visit these places? On our own, through travel agents? It seems there are two or three of them mentioned in different websites eg.Comunidad Guarani Yriapu - Comunidad Indigena Iriapu, or the Mborore Fort. Which one is really worth the visit? Any ifo would be appreciated. Thank you.

1 Answer May 15, 2016 at 9:28 PM