Amsterdam

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• taxi fare to Keukenhof Flowerpark from Amsterdam airport

by bigdave1369 Online Now Feb 12, 2016 at 1:41 PM

How much will it cost from Amsterdam Schiphol airport to Keukenhof Flowerpark by taxi..

more
    • CourtneyG's Profile Photo

Summer travel with children

by CourtneyG Online Now Feb 27, 2016 at 10:57 AM

We plan to be in Amsterdam for 5 days in July. We would like to stay in a neighborhood that is easily walkable and fun for children (9 and 14), What should we see while we are there and what neighborhood should we try to stay in?

more
    • nilanjanbee's Profile Photo

Online DB Bahn Tickets

by nilanjanbee Online Now Yesterday

We are a family of 2 adults, 2 seniors and 2 children (13 and 8). Have been trying to book tickets on DB Bahn website from Amsterdam to Berlin. Not able to succeed, as the number of passengers are restricted to 5 and clicking the other options takes it to another screen where a group of 6 including 2 children also is not working...

Any suggestions as we will need more tickets later through DB Bahn...cannot seem to solve this puzzle...

more
    • docsidh's Profile Photo

Need Advice!! Stay for 4 days in amsterdam!

by docsidh Online Now Feb 12, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Hi guys.
      I'm traveling with my other male friend to Amsterdam from London on 27th Feb for 4 days. I haven't booked any hotel and neither planned my itinerary.
      Could some one advice on how can we plan our itinerary for these 4 days and utilize the time in a best possible way.
      We are fun loving guys and not much interested in visiting museums n all. We are happy to stay in hostels but can't decide on which one would be better. Looking for something in city center.
      Please recommend some cozy n intimate night clubs and local places where we can get some good smoking stuff.
      Regarding local transportation, where can I get the best information?

In sorry to ask too much. I would really appreciate your help and advice.

more
    • sazquatch's Profile Photo

Things to do!

by sazquatch Online Now Feb 20, 2016 at 4:26 AM

I am going to Amsterdam for three days in March with my boyfriend. Can anyone give me some tips or recommended places to see or things to do? Any hidden gems, nice bars or restaurants, coffee shops (i am a green smoker) and any fun activities. I've also heard its beneficial to rent a bike? I know its a city, but any quirky activities, something a bit different to make a memorable trip! Thanks ~ Sarah

more
    • nilanjanbee's Profile Photo

Online DB Bahn Tickets

by nilanjanbee Online Now Yesterday

We are a family of 2 adults, 2 seniors and 2 children (13 and 8). Have been trying to book tickets on DB Bahn website from Amsterdam to Berlin. Not able to succeed, as the number of passengers are restricted to 5 and clicking the other options takes it to another screen where a group of 6 including 2 children also is not working...

Any suggestions as we will need more tickets later through DB Bahn...cannot seem to solve this puzzle...

6 Answers 7 hours ago
    • CourtneyG's Profile Photo

Summer travel with children

by CourtneyG Online Now Feb 27, 2016 at 10:57 AM

We plan to be in Amsterdam for 5 days in July. We would like to stay in a neighborhood that is easily walkable and fun for children (9 and 14), What should we see while we are there and what neighborhood should we try to stay in?

5 Answers Feb 27, 2016 at 12:46 PM
    • sazquatch's Profile Photo

Things to do!

by sazquatch Online Now Feb 20, 2016 at 4:26 AM

I am going to Amsterdam for three days in March with my boyfriend. Can anyone give me some tips or recommended places to see or things to do? Any hidden gems, nice bars or restaurants, coffee shops (i am a green smoker) and any fun activities. I've also heard its beneficial to rent a bike? I know its a city, but any quirky activities, something a bit different to make a memorable trip! Thanks ~ Sarah

9 Answers Feb 23, 2016 at 4:09 AM
    • taxi fare to Keukenhof Flowerpark from Amsterdam airport

by bigdave1369 Online Now Feb 12, 2016 at 1:41 PM

How much will it cost from Amsterdam Schiphol airport to Keukenhof Flowerpark by taxi..

2 Answers Feb 12, 2016 at 7:30 PM
    • docsidh's Profile Photo

Need Advice!! Stay for 4 days in amsterdam!

by docsidh Online Now Feb 12, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Hi guys.
      I'm traveling with my other male friend to Amsterdam from London on 27th Feb for 4 days. I haven't booked any hotel and neither planned my itinerary.
      Could some one advice on how can we plan our itinerary for these 4 days and utilize the time in a best possible way.
      We are fun loving guys and not much interested in visiting museums n all. We are happy to stay in hostels but can't decide on which one would be better. Looking for something in city center.
      Please recommend some cozy n intimate night clubs and local places where we can get some good smoking stuff.
      Regarding local transportation, where can I get the best information?

In sorry to ask too much. I would really appreciate your help and advice.

7 Answers Feb 13, 2016 at 10:39 AM
    • How to pack light

by rlorenzen51 Online Now Jan 28, 2016 at 12:49 PM

We are going to Amsterdam May 1st for 14 days. Then a stop in Istanbul for 2 days. We are from Texas and it will be warm when we leave home but I'm reading that it is much cooler there. I am hoping to pack very light with only the essentials..which is going to be a challenge for this Texas girl!
      Also, no white tennis shoes??? I read they stand out and you will be spotted as an American tourist immediately.
      Any helpful packing tips would be greatly appreciated as well.
      Thank you!

20 Answers Jan 31, 2016 at 7:10 AM
    • Amy27592's Profile Photo

Last min accommodation

by Amy27592 Online Now Jan 24, 2016 at 3:00 AM

Bit of a general question here, have people found that pre booking hotels, b&bs, hostels is cheaper? Or do they charge more on the day? Cause they know your desperate? Or is it worth me planning ahead? Iv planned my whole trip but have a spare 3 days so was planning on flying from Paris, it will be in mid August.

13 Answers Jan 27, 2016 at 12:45 PM
    • Luggage Depot at Schiphol

by Pharkerf Online Now Jan 22, 2016 at 11:32 AM

I am travelling from South America, with my fiancee, to Africa. We are spending a few days in Europe (during the winter) and then we are travelling from Paris (CDG) to Tanzania via Amsterdam. We have a 2 hour layover on our outbound and then we are travelling Tanzania-Amsterdam-Bogota with a 5h layover in Amsterdam. Most of our travelling in Tanzania involves light aircraft and therefore cannot carry our winter clothes to Africa. We have thought about taking two carryons and storing them at Amsterdam (for 10 days), picking them up on our 5h layover and taking them back home. I read there are Luggage depot but cannot find where it is. Would we be able to store the bags with a 2h layover from Paris? Would we have to clear customs on our inbound to collect the stored bags??

3 Answers Jan 22, 2016 at 12:14 PM
    • Computer bag question

by kiddoc06 Online Now Dec 11, 2015 at 9:14 AM

We went into a shop selling hard-sided luggage/computer bags in the Amsterdam airport last month and my husband found a travel computer case he loved. I am trying to shop for it online, but I cannot remember the brand name. The shop is after Passport control and carried all kinds of nice hard-sided travel bags. Anybody got any idea what I am talking about??

4 Answers Dec 30, 2015 at 3:19 PM
    • Carnival Celebrations

by ryanpor Online Now Nov 12, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Where's the best place to be for the Carnival celebrations in Amsterdam?

3 Answers Nov 13, 2015 at 2:26 AM
    • JohannP's Profile Photo

Amsterdam 6 months stay

by JohannP Online Now Oct 12, 2015 at 7:06 PM

Hi

We are a mature couple from Cape Town, South Africa. We intend staying in Amsterdam for about 6 months in 2016 - from 1 May to 31 October.

We would like to find some accommodation in an area where we are within short walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc.

Can anybody recommend websites with monthly accommodation offers rather than the normal websites selling daily holiday accommodation.

Budget wise we would like to spend between Euro 1000 and Euro 1500 per month.

As we are elderly, we are looking for something with a lift. Also lock-up and go because we will be travelling to Europe from this base.

Thanks in anticipation for your replies.

Regards

Johann

7 Answers Oct 13, 2015 at 10:15 PM
    • Leiden/Amsterdam : Cards, Tickets and passes

by Utsav_gupta Online Now Oct 6, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Hi,

I will be visiting Netherlands next year with my wife and 6 month baby. I will be staying in Oegstgeest, outer Leiden. I am quite confused about the best and cheapest travel options including travel cards or passes and tickets. Below is my planned itinerary with costs:

Day 1: Travel from Schiphol airport to Oegstgeest : 7 Euros per person (NS train and Bus 20/21 to Leidsebuurt), without OV Chipkaart. Sightseeing in Leiden through walking.

Day 2: Travel from Oegstgeest to Amsterdam Centraal using train for 10 Euros per person. Sightseeing in and around Amsterdam including Heineken Experience, Dam Square, Westermarket, Flea/waterlooplein, Skinny bridge, Vondelpark, Van Gogh/Anne Frank museums, windmills etc.
      Travelling back to Oegstgeest from Amsterdam Centraal using train for 10 Euros per person.

Day 3: Travel from bus 854 from Leiden Centraal to Keukenhof for 4 Euros per person. From there we will go to Haarlem, via Schiphol and further to Zaanse Schans via Amsterdam Centraal.
      Then Travelling back to Oegstgeest from Amsterdam Centraal using train for 10 Euros per person.

Day 4: Travel from Oegstgeest to Amsterdam Centraal using train for 10 Euros per person for catching Thalys train to paris.

For the above itinerary, Im planning to buy the below cards/passes:
      1) Multiday transport card - GVB for 24 hrs : 7.50 Euros each person for Day 2 around Amsterdam
      2) Amsterdam & Region Day Card for 24 hrs : 13.50 Euros each person for Day 3 around Keukenhof, Haarlem and Zaanse Schans.

Please let me know how I can make my trip most economical or if I have opted for the correct tickets and passes. I want to spend lowest on travel and use only public transport-trains, buses, trams etc. Also the fact that Multiday card is valid on only GVB transport...for rest I will have to pay.

As a rough calculation im spending 170-180 euros (including card prices), only for travel for 3 days. This I think is too much and I want to reduce the costs. Please suggest some alternate options so I can reduce the travelling costs around Leiden or some buses etc for to and fro journeys to Amsterdam central and back.

Awaiting reply...

7 Answers Nov 9, 2015 at 10:45 PM
    • maz100's Profile Photo

tram and train ticket

by maz100 Online Now Sep 26, 2015 at 2:35 AM

If I go from Zeeburg P&R coach park at Zuiderzeeweg, take the tram 26 to centraal station and then the train to Sloterdijk coach park, can I do it on one ticket or do I have to get a separate ticket for train and tram?

2 Answers Jan 29, 2016 at 3:29 AM
    • kcnaguit's Profile Photo

Airport transfer or taxi

by kcnaguit Online Now Aug 29, 2015 at 7:14 AM

Hi how much will it cost for a taxi from Schiphol Airport to The Hague?
      If by Airport Transfer company, which company can you recommend?
      Thanks!

4 Answers Nov 16, 2015 at 10:04 PM
    • kcnaguit's Profile Photo

Mobile wifi rental needed

by kcnaguit Online Now Aug 29, 2015 at 7:12 AM

Hi! Where can i rent a mobile wifi that i can use for my trip to NL for 2 weeks? Within these period, i will also visit Paris for 3 nights and back to NL.

Or is there a wifi sim card only that i can buy because i already have a mobile wifi unit..
      Thanks !

1 Answer Aug 29, 2015 at 12:32 PM
    • What to do with a 9 hour layover...

by ashleyjoy28 Online Now Aug 20, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Hi!

It looks like I have a 9 hour layover. As I don't think I could possibly entertain myself for this long in the airport I'd love suggestions of what to do with that time. My flight gets in at 9:30 pm and I leave around 7:00am departure.

What should I do/what's the best route for transportation?

Thanks for your advice!

5 Answers Aug 21, 2015 at 5:27 AM
    • rickmatthews's Profile Photo

Hotels in Amsterdam

by rickmatthews Online Now Aug 17, 2015 at 7:24 PM

Have been looking online at hotels in Amsterdam for mid September for 3-4 nights. Is seems to me that if you don't book a hotel out side the city they are ridiculously expensive, at least for my wallet. Are the surrounding towns within a short distance to downtown Amsterdam. We would like to pay around 200$ Canadian so that would be around 150 Euros.
      Any suggestions for hotels.
      thanks
      Rick

10 Answers Sep 25, 2015 at 2:20 PM
    • rickmatthews's Profile Photo

Train from Paris to Amsterdam and back to Brussels

by rickmatthews Online Now Aug 15, 2015 at 6:16 AM

Hi, my wife and I are going to Paris in early September and after a few days would like to go to Amsterdam and Brussels. Our plan is to take a train directly from Paris to Amsterdam and then make our way back to Brussels before flying back to Canada. My question is this is it better for us to get some sort of rail pass for a week or two or just pay as we go? We don't have any set agenda but would like to see several towns and cities along the way from Amsterdam to Brussels.
      Thanks
      Rick

14 Answers Sep 28, 2015 at 11:12 PM
    • Hotels in Amsterdam

by Sasnic Online Now Aug 9, 2015 at 4:28 PM

hi! Could you recommend a nice hotel,in Amsterdam, near the main attractions, at a rate beetween 80 and 110 US$/night, with twin beds, good breakfast included. I already know booking.com and many other websites, but what I want is your advice. thank you very much for your help!

6 Answers Aug 9, 2015 at 11:08 PM
    • donnymarie's Profile Photo

Copenhagen snuff/smokeless tobacco/dipping/chewing tobacco

by donnymarie Online Now Aug 7, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Does anyone have experience bringing Copenhagen (or similar) smokeless tobacco through customs in Amsterdam? From what I have researched we are allowed 200 cigarettes OR 250 grams of "tobacco", and there will be a 147.7% tax on anything over the "250 grams tobacco" (cigarette overages are less). I think the intent is pipe or hookah, not dipping tobacco, but I’m going with "not rolled". I am also wondering if we should empty all those cans into a baggie or see if we can get the smoke shop here to put it in a labeled container. Either way we will get in the "red" line at customs and declare the overage, since no way our combined allotment will last him a month.

7 Answers Sep 4, 2015 at 10:54 AM
    • Requesting 2days transit at Amsterdam

by rachael910 Online Now Aug 4, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Hi,
      I would like to ask what are the procedures that i need to go through if i am requesting for extra transit time from 1hour to 2days at Amsterdam. (fyi, i am taking KLM)

Thank you in advance for the clarification.

4 Answers Aug 5, 2015 at 7:25 AM
    • Travelling alone , looking for companion

by singhjas Online Now Jul 31, 2015 at 3:06 AM

Hey, I am on business trip and while returning will be in Amsterdam Sep 18-20 (check out) ; well this will be my personal trip and not paid by company:) .
      I was looking for someone who are travelling to join so that we can afford good place to stay at least and share the accommodation expense. I have seen some places on line but the cost is high, hence if someone is travelling on those dates we can get together and at least stay in better hotel near central station or centre of city. Looking forward for a companion. I understand the world is not that sweet however I am ok to share personal details and expect same if able to find someone.

Thanks. Jks

3 Answers Jul 31, 2015 at 11:05 AM
    • Moving to Amsterdam, Netherlands next month. Few Questions.

by shashank003 Online Now Jul 28, 2015 at 4:10 AM

Hello All,
      I'm planned to travel to Amsterdam, Netherlands in first week of September. I'm expected to be there for 6 months. Since it would be my first foreign trip, I'd some questions to ask. It would really be helpful if you could spare some of your precious time and guide me up on few things. Basically, I hail from New Delhi, India.
      1. How's the atmosphere there in Netherlands. I mean security for expats. Well, this is not of much concern, but still thought of asking.
      2. I'm a pure Vegan. So, are there Veg foods available in Amsterdam. Also, if I consider to prepare on my own at my residence, will I be getting the raw stuff there (Like Lentils, and other Indian spices).
      3. Are there some specific things which you want to advise me to bring specifically from India which are not available in Amsterdam.
      4. The pay which I'm expected to receive in Amsterdam would be around EUR 2500 + Fully furnished accommodation. Can you please let me know whether this is sufficient to live there. Just to mention, I'm a teetotaler, so at least there would be no expenses on Alcohol.
      Any other advise is welcomed.
      Thanks a lot in advance!
      Best Regards,
      Shashank.

15 Answers Sep 28, 2015 at 6:46 PM
    • Transport to Schoorl

by grey-ruister Online Now Jul 27, 2015 at 10:44 PM

What would be the best mode of transport from Alkmaar to Schoorl. Can we rent bikes in Alkmaar

4 Answers Jul 28, 2015 at 7:24 AM
    • ColoBear's Profile Photo

Family holiday in Amsterdam

by ColoBear Online Now Jul 22, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Hi all,

I've been to Amsterdam twice with my boyfriend, but it was just us being young, drinking, smoking, blah blah. This May I want to bring my two children with me. One will be a three yr old boy, and the other will be a one yr old girl.

Im looking for any city centre hotels with balconies, as I dont want to actually leave the room for a cigarette at night☺ if anyone has any suggestions on hotels with balcony rooms, please let me know the name☺

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on what to do there with two children, feel free to inform me! I havent a clue about what their is for children, except the boat rides and zoo

Thanks in advance

13 Answers Jul 24, 2015 at 1:35 AM
    • Travelling from Amsterdam Schiphol to the Hook of Holland

by niania1 Online Now Jul 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Hi! I'll be travelling from Schiphol to the Hook of Holland with a cat on August 17th. I've been looking at the train times and decided on the 15.16 train from the airport. It arrives at Schiedam Centrum at 16.03 and I'll have 4 minutes to swap from an Intercity train on platform 3 to a Sprinter train on platform 2. Is this doable? I'm stressing out a little in case I'll have to change platforms via an overpass, I'll have about 40kgs of luggage with me (and a cat). Are the platforms beside each other? Thanks for answering!

12 Answers Jul 23, 2015 at 12:21 PM
    • travelgirl214's Profile Photo

Best non-touristy places to see/eat/drink, etc?

by travelgirl214 Online Now Jul 13, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Hi, My husband and I are traveling to Amsterdam next month and wanted any insight on some non-touristy things to do. We have interests from art/architecture/landscape/ to craft beer to military history (that is definitely my husband!). We will only be there for 3 days.

I've been there twice before, but he has not. And it was over 10 years ago since I went so i have forgotten most of what I saw (pre-digital camera days)...walked around a lot and went to many bars and clubs. However, we are not the club going types anymore (late 30's/early 40's, been there and too old for that. LOL) We do enjoy good meals, pubs, and seeing unusual and beautiful scenery. He also partakes in smoking pot and would love to know the best place to go (I'm sure most places are good, but if any place stands out).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

7 Answers Jul 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM
    • cat travel to Uk

by lynmadeleine Online Now Jul 10, 2015 at 6:44 AM

Hi can you help ,I will be traveling with my cat from Montreal to the UK via Amsterdam,
      I need a solution that is not to complected as I will be carrying cat and luggage.
      I was hoping to take p&o to Hull but seems I cannot as a foot passenger anymore .
      so it seems I can go to Hook of Holland but it all seems rather complicated and a long journey for my cat stuck in a cage (::
      how would I get there , should I fly then book overnight somewhere and get to ferry next day ? any all advice welcome .
      thanks Lyn

10 Answers Jul 13, 2015 at 6:08 AM
    • melhiker's Profile Photo

Need advice on places to visit and places to avoid

by melhiker Online Now Jul 6, 2015 at 9:13 AM

I will be visiting Amsterdam in October, 2015 as a solo woman traveler for six days. I want to use the water taxis and would appreciate how they work.
      I'm also curious as to how safe Amsterdam is for a woman traveling alone.
      Thanks.

10 Answers Aug 14, 2015 at 3:21 AM
    • Hotel price

by TyronC Online Now Jul 4, 2015 at 12:02 PM

What is the cheapest/best hotel in amsterdam?

6 Answers Jul 4, 2015 at 5:14 PM