VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Amsterdam Travel Answers

change location

Should I start cycling from Harleem or Leiden?

by Feeza86 Online Now Nov 17, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Hi Everyone! I'm planning for my honeymoon trip to Amsterdam in May 2017. I intend to rent a bike and start cycling either from Harleem or Leiden (cycle by the flower field). Whichever start off point, I will make a U- turn back as cycling across towards the other side will take quite some time and i'm not quite sure if I can catch the off peak period to return to the original start off point by train. I understand that we can only bring our bike up the train during off peak period. Thus, i decide to cycle halfway and make a u turn. With this, i would like to ask, is the windmill at the flower field located at Harleem or Leiden?
Thank you in advance for all answers.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Re: Should I start cycling from Harleem or Leiden?

by Pijlmans Online Now Nov 17, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Hi, it's not really clear to me which route you plan to follow or which windmill you mean.

From Leiden to Amsterdam or from Haarlem to Amsterdam?

I suggest to go by train to the flowerfields and rent a bike at the spot. That way you will enjoy the flowerfields by bike and you will not be exhausted getting there by bike or getting back by bike.

If you rent a bike in Amsterdam, you can visit the windmills at Zaanse Schans by bike.

Personally, I prefer the windmills at Kinderdijk (near Rotterdam),

Cheers,
    Dennis

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Should I start cycling from Harleem or Leiden?

by Feeza86 Online Now Nov 17, 2016 at 11:32 PM

Pijlmans wrote:

Hi, it's not really clear to me which route you plan to follow or which windmill you mean.

From Leiden to Amsterdam or from Haarlem to Amsterdam?

I suggest to go by train to the flowerfields and rent a bike at the spot. That way you will enjoy the flowerfields by bike and you will not be exhausted getting there by bike or getting back by bike.

If you rent a bike in Amsterdam, you can visit the windmills at Zaanse Schans by bike.

Personally, I prefer the windmills at Kinderdijk (near Rotterdam),

Cheers,
    Dennis

Thanks Pijlman! Didnt know that we can rent bike from the flower field itself. Will check out the windmills at Zaanse Schans too!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Nov 18, 2016 at 3:39 AM

• danmcf's Profile Photo

by danmcf Online Now Nov 18, 2016 at 5:02 AM

The daughter and I rented bikes, took them on the train to Leiden, and rode back to Amsterdam in 2003. The route we used took us through the tulip fields, right past Keukenhof (we didn't go in, but you could), and then we went to Zandvoort on the coast. It was a bit early in the year to hit the beach, but did spend some time walking around.
    After that we went through Harleem on our way back to Amsterdam. All easily doable in a day.
    And yes, we did see the windmill at Keukenhof from a distance.
    You can find information on the trip at my Amsterdam pages here on VirtualTourist.

by Alex_Shar Online Now Nov 18, 2016 at 6:52 AM

There are a lot of bike rentals in the tulip fields region near Keukenhof ukka.co/Lisse--South-Holland... . You can rent a bike there

by Feeza86 Online Now Nov 18, 2016 at 8:02 AM

danmcf wrote:

The daughter and I rented bikes, took them on the train to Leiden, and rode back to Amsterdam in 2003. The route we used took us through the tulip fields, right past Keukenhof (we didn't go in, but you could), and then we went to Zandvoort on the coast. It was a bit early in the year to hit the beach, but did spend some time walking around.
    After that we went through Harleem on our way back to Amsterdam. All easily doable in a day.
    And yes, we did see the windmill at Keukenhof from a distance.
    You can find information on the trip at my Amsterdam pages here on VirtualTourist.

Excellent idea! Thanks!

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Nov 18, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Just a question: Is this a day trip you want to do?

The total distance can easily go up to 100 kilometers when you include that U-turn.

And take a look at the weather forecast. You will cycle in a flat open land, so wind force and wind direction are major issues. Choose your departure location such, you can profit from the wind.

And there are also E-bikes for hire.

PJ

by Feeza86 Online Now Nov 19, 2016 at 7:32 AM

pieter_jan_v wrote:

Just a question: Is this a day trip you want to do?

The total distance can easily go up to 100 kilometers when you include that U-turn.

And take a look at the weather forecast. You will cycle in a flat open land, so wind force and wind direction are major issues. Choose your departure location such, you can profit from the wind.

And there are also E-bikes for hire.

PJ

Hi PJ! Yes, I'm thinking of a day tour. Looking at the estimated distance that you mentioned, I guess I'll settle with renting of bike near the flower field area. Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Feeza

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines