VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Amsterdam Travel Answers

change location
grandmaR's Profile Photo

Peanuts in Amsterdam

by grandmaR Online Now Nov 11, 2016 at 5:54 PM

I am considering taken a trip with a granddaughter in June 2018 from Houston to Tanzania, and I will have to switch planes in either London or Amsterdam. I was thinking I would fly KLM. The child has a severe peanut allergy such that if she gets near a place which has had peanuts, she has an anaphylactic reaction and has to use an epi-pen and go to the ER immediately.

Does anyone know if KLM still serves peanuts?

And will it be a problem with eating in Amsterdam to avoid peanuts or places where peanuts would be in the food?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Re: Peanuts in Amsterdam

by lotharscheer Online Now Nov 11, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Peanuts are a main ingredient of Indonesian food, but there are not many Indonesian restaurants in the central/touristy area of Amsterdam, peanuts are not a part of Dutch or other European food.
    KLM I don’t know.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • alza's Profile Photo

by alza Online Now Nov 11, 2016 at 10:21 PM

Hello grandmaR,

Overall, you will find eating places in Amsterdam where peanuts are not part of the usual menu. Of course, even in these places, there is always a possibility that their menu of the day includes a dish with peanuts so you will need to read menus carefully.

There are, however, many Indonesian restaurants in Amsterdam. One of their popular dishes is the Rijstafel, which usually comes with ground peanuts in small dishes, or with peanut-based sauces. It would be advisable to avoid such restaurants, imo. Here's a link which might be helpful:
    foodiehub.tv/features/essent...

Be the first to rate this answer!

• shavy's Profile Photo

by shavy Online Now Nov 11, 2016 at 11:12 PM

I fly with KLM five months ago, they serve small pocket of peanuts for appetizer and is not only KLM so as other airlines like British airlines. Meals onboard it didn't have any peanut on ingredient. Peanut ingredients mostly use on Asian food like the one mentioned above better to avoid these place

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

by Pijlmans Online Now Nov 12, 2016 at 1:24 AM

lotharscheer wrote:

Peanuts are a main ingredient of Indonesian food, but there are not many Indonesian restaurants in the central/touristy area of Amsterdam, peanuts are not a part of Dutch or other European food. KLM I don’t know.

Lotharscheer: there are NOT many Indonesian restaurants in the center of Amsterdam? Which Amsterdam are you talking about????

Regarding the nut allergy in the plane, I would contact KLM directly. I think they sometimes serve peanuts so better be safe than sorry.

On the IENS website for restautans, you can select for restaurants that consiter nut allergy (pinda allergie): https://www.iens.nl/restaurant+amsterdam and you will find many restaurants that take the allergy into account. Everybody speaks English so you will not have any problem talking to the waiters.

Cheers,

Dennis

• melosh's Profile Photo

by melosh Online Now Nov 12, 2016 at 5:58 AM

I was recently on a flight that announced that they had a young passenger on board with a severe peanut allergy and therefore they would not be serving peanuts. They asked that any person with peanuts in the same seating area either refrain from getting them out or request a seating change. No one seemed put out and I for one was happy to see a big corporation acting sympathetically.

Good luck

2 members found this helpful

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Nov 12, 2016 at 7:25 AM

My experience on KLM flight os this year, that they serve a small package of smoked almonds or alike; not peanuts but still nuts.

On my next flight I have to take a picture of the package; I only took pictures of the main meals:

PJ

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Nov 12, 2016 at 8:51 AM

Thank you for all the answers. It was the Indonesian food that I thought we would have a problem with, as I wasn't sure how ubiquitous (common/universal) it was. I suspect/hope that will be easy to avoid.

I will certainly contact KLM when the time comes (I haven't even made the reservations yet so it would be pre-mature at this point). We are still waiting for Jenna's blood work to come back from the allergist (she may have a reaction to other nuts - one of my grandsons had a minor reaction to coconut), but they recommended that she bring some cleaning wipes with her and wipe down the aircraft seating area completely (or I guess I would be doing that) before she sits down and that she have the epi-pen WITH her (i.e. not just in the overhead bins).

My daughter was surprised that the place that would be most dangerous was the flight over - what she was most worried about was whether she could get to an ER if we were on a safari in Africa. (She hasn't thought about Indonesian food yet.)

I'm glad that KLM would address the issue pro-actively.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Nov 13, 2016 at 2:31 AM

Most European-based airlines will at least consider addressing the problem pro-actively as long as they are told about it well in advance. I've been on several flights where this has happened, with a general announcement being made to passengers. But there are no 100% guarantees and no airline can or will guarantee a nut-free flight. This is what the KLM website says:

klm.com/travel/gb_en/prepare...

Do make sure you notify KLM as soon as you make the booking and, if it's a long time before you travel, remind them again nearer the date.

I doubt you will have any problems in Amsterdam. Although there are of course numerous Indonesian and other ethnic restaurants there are also plenty of other places to eat. It's sensible to make the allergy very clear to staff before you order, of course. Whilst the dish itself may not include peanuts/other nuts it may not be possible for staff to be 100% certain it is not contaminated by being prepared in a shared area. There's nothing actively wrong with that, of course, but you will obviously need to know. I suspect 'peanut-free' kitchen preparation areas are still very unusual (and not just in the Netherlands).

I don't think you'll actively need it but it might be reassuring to print off this free allergy card in Dutch:

allergyaction.org/wp-content...

This UK-based site has some very useful advice about flying with an allergy:

anaphylaxis.org.uk/living-wi...

2 members found this helpful

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Nov 13, 2016 at 3:36 AM

You'll probably not frequent bars (cafés) as they are mostly adult places. But note that drinks are often served with a small dish of mixed nuts which will include peanuts,

Also check if arachide oil (peanut oil) is used in cooking.

Good luck, enjoy your trip.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines