VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
Akkastugan

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Singincherry's Profile Photo

Dogsledding-Weather Conditions-Aurora Borealis Question

Kiruna Jan 2, 2017 at 10:25 PM

Hello Everyone!

I had a few more questions about traveling to Absiko/Kiruna since me and 5 friends will be traveling there next week. You guys were all really helpful in my previous question, and I hope you can share some more insights with me.

1) I've noticed that the weather in this area of Sweden tends to snow a lot lately. I'm curious to know if it is generally light snow, or is it heavy snowstorms/ white outs?

2) I've been keeping track of the Aurora forecasts with some apps, and it says that the two nights we will be up north, has a kp index of 2 (nothing). Ironically, for the next few days after, there's a kp index of 5 (which is amazing but we will be back home by then). My question is, if you think it will be worth traveling all the way to Abisko at all if there is such a small chance in seeing the northern lights?

3) Dogsledding. We want to do it, but there are so many options and it's been hard finding the right place. I've read that Kiruna has nicer landscapes for dogsledding than Abisko, and I wonder if that is true? Also, I'm looking for a place in Kiruna that will offer individual sleds (for 6 people-2 hours-not expensive/cheap). Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you so much for any information you can lend!! I look forward to any responses!

-Sara

more
    • Singincherry's Profile Photo

Transportation between Abisko and Kiruna

Kiruna Dec 26, 2016 at 1:01 AM

Hi all!

We're 5 people planning a very short trip to Kiruna and Abisko. We are arriving in Kiruna Saturday night, Jan 14 at 21:00 and leaving Kiruna on Monday morning at 12:55. We want to spend Sunday morning checking out a bit of Kiruna/or ice hotel and maybe dog sledding (either Kiruna or Abisko), leave early Sunday afternoon to Abisko spend Sunday night there, and leave Monday morning to Kiruna airport. What are the recommended methods of travel then?

Regarding driving, I don't have experience driving in winter conditions so I am very concerned about renting a car. If you definitely recommend it, do you have any tips, instructions, or advice about night driving in Abisko.

Thanks!

more