VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Travel Answers
Akaroa

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Arthurs Pass

Christchurch Dec 31, 2016 at 4:59 AM

Firstly thanks for all the helpful info. Major change of plans decided to fly from Auckland to Christchurch rather than take the ferry

Is it possible in a day to drive from Christchurch via Arthurs Pass to Greymouth - a friend who is married to a Kiwi laughed at the idea yet Google maps makes it 151 miles which would make it doable even on mountain roads given that we started early. Likewise I've been warned that the roads around Fox & Franz Joseph Glaciers are liable to close if there is heavy rain. In blunt terms is this scaremongering - equally a hol is for relaxing so we don't want stress

All info much appreciated and I'm sorry for bothering VTs but I know the advice given is always top notch

Many thanks

more
    • Backpackers that takes you to see dolphins?

by Racer_girl Online Now Aug 24, 2014 at 10:59 PM

This is a long shot, but when i visited Akaroa in 2006/2007, I remember there was a small backpackers where the guy would take a small groups of people out on his little dingy to see the Hectors dolphins. It was amazing, he was a lovely guy, but i cannot remember his name, or the backpackers associated with it! Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

For people not staying at the backpackers, i remember he charged a small fee, $20 or $25. But it was soo worth it, and so personalized! If anyone knows who i'm talking about ,pls advise!

2 Answers Aug 26, 2014 at 1:23 AM
    • Small campground in Little Akaloa?

by Ashlee_ORourke Online Now Jan 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Hi there, I have heard by word of mouth about a little campground in Little Akaloa. It is small, run by an honestly box, and basically unsearchable on the internet. Im trying to find a way to contact them as there are no details anywhere that I can find! Can anyone help?

4 Answers Jan 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    • Tours in Akaroa

by larainemargaret Online Now Sep 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM

What are the best tours to go on in Akaroa - will be arriving by cruise ship and have 8 hours there.

1 Answer Sep 2, 2013 at 1:13 AM
    • Travel to Christchurch

by SMUNJAL Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Can anyone kindly provide me the information about travelling from Akaroa Harbour to Christchurch Airport. Is it possible to get car rental? Is there any shuttle I can book?

1 Answer Mar 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM
    • eddymario's Profile Photo

Bus from Christchurch international airport ?

by eddymario Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Hi,

Is there a public bus from the airport or Christchurch city to Akaroa ?

Thanks,
      Eddy

8 Answers Jan 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    • car to akoara

by bettytan Online Now Apr 2, 2011 at 4:40 AM

where in Christchurch, can I rent a car for a 2 day stay in Akaroa

1 Answer Apr 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    • swimming with dolphins

by anitafiona Online Now Apr 6, 2006 at 9:45 AM

anyone tried any of the dolphin swimming companies on Banks Penninsular please?

4 Answers May 29, 2007 at 4:04 PM