Achill Island

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Older Times in Drogheda

Drogheda Oct 9, 2016 at 5:50 PM

When I was a child my father took us to Ireland where he was from.
      he took us to see our uncle (his older brother) Patrick who lived in Drogheda but the pics I see are not how I remember it, it may be that it was on the outskirts I remember is was very quiet not many dwellings in fact my uncles home was very basic single story dwelling and it had an old stem roller outside.
      Just wondered if anyone has any clue as to where exactly this might have been long shot I know!

• coloradopair's Profile Photo

Train from Dublin to Belfast

Ireland Oct 5, 2016 at 10:09 AM

We are going to Ireland in November and will be taking Irish Rail train from Dublin to Belfast. Is it necessary or advantageous to book those tickets in advance? I am a little hesitant to do that and lock into a departure time because we will be taking a bus from Dublin Airport to the Dublin train station. While flight is sceduled to arrive at 7AM who knows when we would eventually get to the station. I am thinking it might just be easier to buy tickets at train station. Would the Dubin-Belfast train be that crowded in November? Any advice would be most welcome.

• evaav's Profile Photo

Achill Island

by evaav Online Now Apr 29, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Hello everyone. I am going to Achill this weekend and i am looking for company so if anyone would like to join me we can arrange something :)

• AudreySue

by AudreySue Online Now Sep 9, 2005 at 10:27 AM

I'm heading to Achill Island next weekend...loved reading all of your posts and seeing your photos! Spent a week in a thatched roof cottage in Donegal last fall and am renting a similar cottage on the island. I'm expecting to have bad hair all week and will pack rain gear. Flying into Shannon and will pick up groceries on the way. Any tips or advice for a September trip?

4 Answers Sep 14, 2005 at 3:04 PM
    • RhineRoll's Profile Photo

Midges on Achill

by RhineRoll Online Now Apr 27, 2004 at 8:44 AM

One rarely gets warnings/complaints about Midges in Ireland, but at least in areas with blanket bog (like Achill Island), they must be around. Is my guess correct, that the problem is not as bad as in the Scottish Highlands? I'll be on Achill in July and should there be a warm and calm evening, it'd be great to be able to sit outside the cottage without having to fear Scottish-style air raids. I'm a bit careful after my last year's experience from South Uist. People told me there weren't any midges on the Outer Hebrides, and if there had been (strictly theroetically speaking...), then it'd be always windy enough to keep them from flying. WELL, we had a hot week with temperatures well above 25 Celsius and NO wind...flat out calm... and GUESS WHO was VISITING US??? GRRRRRR HOW I HATE THOSE MIDGES!!!!

8 Answers Aug 17, 2005 at 5:23 AM
    • Traveldi's Profile Photo

Fun to be had in Achill

by Traveldi Online Now Apr 12, 2004 at 7:59 AM

Dear VT's I am heading to Achill on Saturday and would love to know about interesting places to enjoy while I am there! Thank you! Travel Di

3 Answers Apr 25, 2004 at 1:39 AM