VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Abano Terme Travel Answers

change location

Is it possible to get from Abano to Rome in one day?

by kjmeff Online Now Jul 9, 2004 at 9:40 AM

We will be in Abano on 7/17 and were wanting to see Rome. Is there a tour or a bus we can take to see the vatican and coliseum?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Is it possible to get from Abano to Rome in one day?

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 9, 2004 at 12:00 PM

If you look at www.mapquest.com (look for Maps on the upper right to see Europe), you'll see that Abano Terme is 300 miles away from Rome - a very long round trip for one day. If you look at www.trenitalia.com, you will see that the fastest train will be 4 hours - again, making it a very long day (and hardly worth it). Once you are in Rome, it is a walker's city, so going on foot is what most people do (it's more fun that way anyway). If you get tired of walking, there is an extensive bus system, a subway, and taxis aren't all that expensive if you take them once in a while. So, was your question "can I get to Rome, see some sites, and get back in one day?" If so, I would recommend against this - it is too much train travel for what you get. Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • effeti's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Is it possible to get from Abano to Rome in one day?

by effeti Online Now Jul 10, 2004 at 2:03 AM

I agree (like nearly always) with Bill. I live not far from Abano. It is of course possible (by plane from Verona or Venice or by Eurostar train from Padova or Verona) to make a day trip to Rome, and we do it, but only for business. If you have a 2/4 hours meeting, you can do it all in a day. But i won't do all that travel only for so few hours in Rome. Of course, if you feel you'll never be able to come back, you can do it. But i suggest you Venice, Padova or Verona if you don't know any of those cities. Ciao Francesco

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Abano Terme