Technical Help Forum

SONG's Profile Photo

***Calling*** all experts

by SONG Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Pun intended. I need a new phone. I currently have a flip phone and I think the connections are getting frayed from opening and closing. So....
all you experts in VTland....Choices include iphone, blackberry, android.
What say you? I don't know the difference or what each one does. Any recommendations welcomed.

Quote & Answer
29 Answers
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: ***Calling*** all experts

by Homanded Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 7:41 AM

which carrier do you use?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Metro PCS

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I believe they only offer the android. However, they do not have a contract so I COULD switch carriers. I really don't want to , since they are very inexpensive, dependable, everywhere, and free ld 24 hours, no contracts.

by Homanded Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 7:51 AM

we have Sprint and, after much research we settled on the samsung 'droid.
    We have the Galaxy S 4g. We love it!
    It is quite comparable to the IPhone, takes great pictures, I download instantaneously to FB, flickr and other sites of my choosing.
    Have never had a problem with reception.
    It is a slide out key board for texting rather than touch screen (which it also has) for easier text.

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I think you need to figure out your needs before determinng the type of phone you go for, as they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you plan to do a lot of web surfing, an iPhone or Android device are probably best, BUT, because they have large glass screens, are somewhat more fragile than some of the other devices. If you are into apps, then again, these device are the way to go, understanding that they do have relatively small screens.

If you text a lot, then a Blackberry or similar device with a robust, real keyboard is best.

If you just used it to talk to people and occassionally use some of the other functionality, a lower end device will save you money. If you are someone that tends to drop the phone, simpler devices have less to break and are cheaper to replace if you do break them.

Just to add; we have a number of phones around the house; including two Blackberry's that work has supplied, an Android phone that the older daughter constantly is on. If your primary email service is Gmail, Android has some advantages. She has a fairly expensive data plan, but she is on the phone to her friends a lot. Our youngest daughter carries one around for "emergencies" and hardly ever texts or even phones, so a cheap phone is all she uses.

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Ok. My situation. I use my phone probably 95 % for calls. Hello....
    occasionally I do text. And receive texts. But I would like to have a GPS built in. I would also use the net to look up things occasionally, but not very often. Perhaps not enough to justify a fancy phone. Camera is not an issue. I think the phone photos are not as good as my digital camera. And I do not use FB, etc. Pretty plane Jane here.....as far as phones go.
    So, now that you have that picture, perhaps that will help you.

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I keep thinking I NEED to "get with it" and spring into the Light AGES instad of the Dark Ages....lol.

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM

It sounds to me that a fairly basic Android phone would probably meet your needs then. The iPhones and Blackberry's are premium units and if you went this way you seem likely that would be paying for functionality that you would rarely, if ever use.

You do want a bit more than your basic phone, and there are some out there that will meet your needs. My daughter has a fairly low end, older model Samsung unit she picked up in Europe during her trip there in the fall that fulfilled some of those basic requirements. She also has a fairly inexpensive (about 1/3 the price of an iPhone) HTC built Android unit that does everything you are looking at. The unit is about 18 months old and is still going strong; I'm pretty sure that it has been replaced by updated technology by now.

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Thanks Manfred and Homer. Sounds like maybe the Android from my current carrier, Metro PCS, will do the trick. :-)

• bennforlife's Profile Photo

by bennforlife Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM

the real question is... if you make a lot of calls... is battery life important to you?

If you can't charge your phone often. I'd look into a non-android, non-apple phone

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I've LEARNED to carry my charger with me at all times....lol....since my Kyocera has been dying a slow death lately.....;-)
    Don't use that much talk time, but then again...what is a lot?

• robrohan's Profile Photo

by robrohan Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I have an iPhone and an android phone. I would say, personally, the iPhone is eaiser to use (which is important because your often in a hurry when using your phone) - to me it's a better experience, and find that people new to mobile devices can do more with an iPhone. I use my iPhone as my normal day to day phone.

*However*, when I travel I use my android phone because it's eaiser to buy a sim card at the airport and slap it in the phone and I can have extra batteries. It's a bit more robust (not totally made of glass), and it's "unlocked" by default.

If you travel a lot and want to take your phone with you, I would recommend taking a good look at androids and making sure they are not carrier locked. Otherwise, I think the iPhone is a better device personally - and recommend you have a play with both.

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I purchased a HTC android phone. I thought I was going to LOVE it , but in trying to use it tonight, I am not so sure. The keyboard is almost totally useless. I tried to log into VT via the phone and trying to put both my nickname and password was impossible. Hitting the keys did nothing. I would hit S and nothing lit up. After numerous tries, I finally got S O N G typed but then the password never did get done. I am thinking of returning the phone tomorrow. I think a keyboard would be the answer. This screen touch exercise is trying my patience!!!

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM

All my fault. Went to the carrier store today and showed them how I was using my fingernail to touch the tiny keys. I was doing this to avoid hitting other keys. Wrong. Supposed to use the soft tip of your finger. Now I can use the touch screen. PLUS, there is an option to draw (drag) from one letter to another and suddenly the word appears. I'm beginning to like this thingie. :-)
    Can speak what I want into google and it finds it for me. I can speak the text I want sent and it types the words. Amazing...OK, OK Probably all of you know about all this good stuff already, But it is new to me.

by Homanded Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Kathy, make sure and download the app: "Juice Defender". It's free and saves your battery BIG time.
    One of my main complaints when I first got it was how fast battery drained.
    Several things that will help you conserve battery life:

You don't need 4G on at all times. Actually, I never use it. Shut it off on the top menu bar.
    Download Juice Defender.
    DO NOT install some fancy schmanzy screen saver or background - simple solid color is best and will not drain battery.
    After you've uploaded a picture, received a picture, scrolled through the net, etc., pull down the grey menu bar on top and make sure you hit the "clear" button to clear out phone and keep it from running unnecessary functions - not unlike clearing your computer bar.

Since I began doing this, my phone now lasts up to 3 days w/out a charge.
    Also, very important, especially the first couple of times, make sure your battery is ALL the way drained before charging.
    Batteries have a "memory" built into them and if you charge up your phone or anything else with a battery on it when only partially drained it will require less and less time between charging.

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Homeanded: The battery life issue is true only for NiCd (Nickel Cadmium) batteries; these are not used in phones and batteries any more; they use the newer Lithium Ion (Li On). LiOn have a whole different charge / discharge characteristic. These batteries DO NOT have memory, and in fact are more succeptable to problems with deep discharge / recharge cycles. Frequent, shallow recharging does not damage them, but running them all the way down does, and increases fire risk.

by Homanded Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Wow, good to know.
    I was going with what the Sprint rep made sure to tell us when we bought our phone.
    He specified to make sure and give it at least 3 charges at full drainage.
    Good to know...

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM

LiOn batteries sometimes do not fully charge for the first couple of cycles, and that is what he might have been referring to. I have a number of LiOn batteries that are three or four years old, and their charge retention really has not deteriorated to any noticable degree.

by Homanded Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Yes, I agree. All of my Nikon batteries (8 of them) are Lithium Ion batteries and hold their charges very well.
    I've owned them for over 3 years w/out any significant change in their ability to hold their charge

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM

OK...I think........lol. I am still playing around and really likeing this.
    A friend stopped by tonight and showed me how to voice ask google questions, voice text, and a few other things. That dragging for a word is interesting.
    Homer, I am still searching for this bar that you mentioned. I am sure it is right there before my eyes, but not sure where. I WILL find it and do what you say. :-) May have to ask a male friend locally.....I AM learning a lot on my own and find it fascinating. Will recharge the battery tonight. Thanks also Grumpy.....Just think. Geek Squad charges big bucks for this advice. And I get it Free here. :-)

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Perhaps you now know why I would never use Geek Squad. I find their knowledge somewhat limited...

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 12:33 AM

On HTC android phones, you may like to be aware of your privacy. Please read this article:

androidpolice.com/2011/10/01...

by Homanded Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 4:59 AM

Kathy, if you look on top you will see the black bar where your battery juice is indicated...along with signal strength and local time...if you put your finger on that and pull down a grey screen will slide down. (phone must be unlocked to do this).
    On the upper right hand corner of that screen a little box will appear if you have an application going and it will give you the option to "clear".
    Do this from time to time to clear anything that is left running. BIG battery saver.

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Thanks Homer. Yep. Pulling the black bar down held the answer. I had previously just touched it and OF COURSE nothing happened. Amazing what a little pushing or pulling will do in life....lol. All of a sudden the "clear" button appreared and I hit it. NOw I'm off to read the link that mentions privacy issues for the HTC. I went online last night to find the HTC owners manual and tried downloading it. What came with the phone is a JOKE. Like...hello. How to turn on, off, recharge. Even I can do that!!! :-)
    Absolutely nothing more about all these little secrets of how-to. Just like I was using my fingernail instead of the tip of my finger. Easy answer IF you know it. Otherwise very frustrating. It was taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r to download, so I went to bed. Will try again today. Have a fab weekend everyone. :-)

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Yes, most of the touch screen displays rely on the conductance of you skin to work, so if you were using your fingernails, would not work. Using a pen instead of your fingers will likely do the same thing.

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I thought I was being so careful by using my finger nails

• Greggor58's Profile Photo

by Greggor58 Online Now Feb 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Ive been using an HTC Droid now for about a year....just thought you might like to know that this exists...Ive found it useful from time to time...like any information source there's plenty of good information...and some...umm...dribble too!
    Its a fairly reliable source I've realized though...and I pop when I'm researching any issues..my latest...power consumption.

Check this out if you like...

http://androidforums.com/

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 26, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Hi Greggor. I went to the recommended site and plan on registering. I read through all the forum guidelines, and they also ask if another site member referred me there. Shall I give your name? I did not see a Greggor as one of the members. The site sure sounds interesting and I am positive I will learn helpful information. Thanks.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo

by Greggor58 Online Now Feb 27, 2012 at 3:54 AM

You're welcome Kathy....honestly Ive never registered..I just pop in and out..I suppose I should look at registering..its just never occurred to me that I needed to :o)

So....perhaps you don't really need to register...just a thought :o)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines