Miscellaneous Forum

SangAji's Profile Photo

scams and scums

by SangAji Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM

i think a friend of mine is in the middle of being scammed, however nothing has been proven as yet.

you see, a widower with one child and his mum is stranded in kuala lumpur, malaysia. he says he is from norway, working in scotland and his mum and daughter lives in london. his facebook pictures indicate he likes baseball a lot. he met his iranian wife 18 yrs ago whilst studying chemical engineering in saudi arabia, unfortunately the wife met with a car accident 4 yrs ago. he converted to islam when he married, and is a devout muslim.

his father was a contractor to petronas, the malaysian oil company. unfortunately he passed away suddenly. he is accompanying his mother to collect payment due to his late father from petronas, amount is myr4 million.

he is getting into difficulties claiming the money, and was asked to pay myr80k before cheque could be released. my friend has helped him settle the myr80k, and a cheque for myr4m is now in his hands, however he is required to make a usd7.5k deposit to open an account with a local bank and wait 3 days for release of funds..

he say he is not familiar with asia, and is complaining about difficulties in his dealings with petronas and the local banks. he has been in KL since early ramadan. as a muslim he felt deeply offended by the suggestion of under-the-table deals...

should my friend help him a second time? as a muslim, he feel deeply obliged to help him! and he has promised to pay back the money my friend sent him, and visit him in brunei and spend a week holidaying here and much more.....

any VTers with similar experience? is it genuine or a scam? if it is a scam, how does my friend recover his money and get out of this mess?

Quote & Reply
15 Replies
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: scams and scums

by leics Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Does your friend know this person in reality? Or is he responding to an email communication or an internet 'friendship'?

If he does not know this person in reality then I am certain this is a scam. There are many similarities with other scams we know about here, not least the supposed sudden death of a parent (sometimes a husband) and the need to get the money. Often the person will offer a percentage of the money to whoever responds to the scam and offers financial help and then sucks the respondent in by needing more and more funds for more and more reasons. Your friend cannot know the person is even genuinely a Muslim, I'm afraid.

If the person is genuinely Norwegian then the Norwegian embassy in Malaysia would assist (or a partner embassy if there is no Norwegian embassy). Being 'stranded' is simply not a realistic scenario, imo.

I'm afraid I see no way in which your friend will be able to get his money back. Please tell him not to send any more money and to ignore any further contact with the person.

• SangAji's Profile Photo

by SangAji Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM

my friend was introduced to the norwegian during early ramadan thru facebook friend request. throughout ramadan they discussed and compared notes on islam and being muslim.

due to the sudden death of his father whilst working with petronas in kuching, sarawak, my friend offered to help as he is not familiar with asia and does not know anyone in malaysia.

they have been keeping in touch via facebook and sms, and have exchanged pictures, and his norwegian friend is very keen to meet him in brunei and experience the brunei muslim lifestyle.

this is something completely new to us here, and his friend being a muslim, he has faith that his norwegian friend is genuine.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I'm afraid that there are scammers on Facebook too. They are more easily able to 'suck in' potential targets with a networking site like FB than with e.g. sending mails on VT.

I would be very wary indeed of any friendship request from a total stranger on FB.

I fear you must do your best to convince your friend that he is being scammed but please...do not give him (or anyone else) any money.

Please read these:

hoax-slayer.com/nigerian-sca...

fraudwatchinternational.com/...

by SangAji Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

thanks leics i will look up the links tomorrow. you are more than an archeologist and historian...

i am too tired and exhausted now, and it is 2.20am our local time.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Try not to worry any more...but please don't give any money to friends!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I meant friends who are being scammed, of course....

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Again...Scam Scam Scam. 1000% scam.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

interpol.int/Crime-areas/Fin...

send the above to your friend.

by SangAji Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM

giampeiro, i hope there are no scammers in VT!!

many thanks all for the advise, i should have asked my VT friends about this in the first instance. am definitely off facebook, too many scums.

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

We learn very quickly of any scammers on VT and we delete them along with everything they have ever written...

• ter1413's Profile Photo

by ter1413 Online Now Oct 13, 2012 at 6:17 AM

I hope this is not the same friend who met the person at the bank...
    STOP. BREATHE. This is a SCAM!

This may sound harsh...but people need to stop using social media as the be all and end all for making "friendships." Why on earth would you and your friend load someone$ just becasue of an internet bond?

Here are some scam 101s:
    -recent death in family
    -stranded in another country
    -recently robbed of all personal items(passport/wallet)
    -grew up in the same town/country/city as you
    -worship or practice the same religion
    -promise to pay back money for loaning money
    -moving the scam along by saying something like..."i have the check in hand and just need more$ to get the cash"

And to answer you last question, how doe your friend get the$ back:
    When their "friends" calls/write, tell your friend to say..
    |
    "Listen, I can not help you any further. Please return the money that I gave to you asap and let us not communicate any further."

What will happen is that the "friend" will clain that they have no one else to help them and that they recently converted to Islam and that your are the only one they can count on and they have the money but just needX to send you your check, etc.

The money is gone.....

• ter1413's Profile Photo

by ter1413 Online Now Oct 13, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Nah^^. It's really not that complex of a story....

• Suet's Profile Photo

by Suet Online Now Oct 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Where is he working in Scotland? I'll check him out.

• Mel_H's Profile Photo

by Mel_H Online Now Oct 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM

"he says he is from norway,...........met his iranian wife 18 yrs ago whilst studying chemical engineering in saudi arabia"
    haha ha sorry haven`t been on VT for ages but happened to be browsing and this cracked me up so signed in... his arabic must be top notch for a Norwegian ! wonder how he managed to secure a visa let alone a student one and how long ago were engineering schools established in Saudi! This is too comical even for a fraud lol

by SangAji Online Now Oct 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Thanks all for the responses, it's been quite revealing.

I have also been checking other sites for more info, and came across romancescam.com/forum/portal....

I reckon i have enough info to convince my friend, and if he persists in believing his friend in cyberspace, then one can do only so much.

Giampiero, keep up the good work, and keep VT scam-free!!

ter1413, your scam 101s are right on the nail.

Suet, would somewhere offshore Scotland suffice?

Mel H, an arabic speaking Norwegian...in King Fahd U more than 18 yrs ago... never thought of that.

now to update my other thread..

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines