Miscellaneous Forum

cottonwood's Profile Photo

49er's

by cottonwood Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Just so everyone knows, the San Francisco 49ers are going to the Superbowl to win. Jst saying.

Quote & Reply
61 Replies
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: 49er's

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Well, I am with you on that one, - but it is unlikely. Counting down the minutes before the games today.......d:o)

Since my beloved Oakland Raiders, are not in the race, it is pretty irrelevant to me who wins, but the smart money is probably on the New England Patriots.

New York Giants vs San Francisco 49ers - 12:00 Noon Pacific Standard Time.

and

Baltimore Ravens vs New England Patriots - 3:30 Pac Std Time

My prediction for the Superbowl:

Giants vs Patriots - Feb 4th Superbowl Sunday = Winner: New England Patriots.

(The above is for those that have no idea what the hoopla is all about.....d:o)

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 10:01 AM

i'm sure they are. which year are you suggesting it will happen?

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I will say though, I will be cheering for the 49rs. Their last game where they beat the New Orleans Saints, had one of the best fourth quarters of any game, ever. It was an adrenaline pump to the last seconds........

Before that last play, Vernon Davis is heard screaming: "When the pressure comes, I SHOW UP!" He did, with the winning touchdown with seconds left in the game. It appears that the 49rs quarterback, Alex Smith is finally living up to expectations........d:o)

• hundwalder's Profile Photo

by hundwalder Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM

New England got bloody lucky in that game. Oh well, the best team won.

By the way, my condolences to JoPa and his family. RIP!

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM

They'll need to go through the formality of beating the Giants first. New York is leading 10-7 at the half.

If you told me Tom Brady would have 0 touchdowns and 2 interceptions, plus a fumbled kickoff return for New England, I would have been sure the game was lost for the Patriots. But they managed to win with a resurgent defense, then a tremendous knock-away in the end zone that forced an improbable missed field goal in the closing seconds. The Patriots hang on to win by 3, and advance to the Super Bowl. As such, they have a chance to win against either the 49ers or the Giants.

Go Pats!!!!! 8)

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Like Hund said, - they got lucky! What are the odds that the Ravens kicker will come back next year? He missed nine fieldgoals during the season and cost his team an overtime shot at the Superbowl.

....and yes, that knockaway in the endzone cost the Ravens the win.

Hey, - Smith who? Vern who? It is 14-10......

Go Niners.....d:o)

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Raven's kicker - last seen googling baltimore area unemployment office locations.

by travelfrosch Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM

It's 17-17 with 2 minutes to go.

BTW, even if Cundiff made the field goal, it would have only extended the game to Overtime... By no ,eans a guaranteed Ravens win.

by travelfrosch Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 6:58 PM

BTW, I second best wishes to Joe Pateron's family. He truly deserved better from Penn State University in the end.

by travelfrosch Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Paterno... Sometimes auto spell-check is truly dreadful.

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Yes T, that's what I said, - the fieldgoal would hve given the Ravens an overtime shot at the Superbowl.......d:o)

Now this game is in overtime with new rules.......

by travelfrosch Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Well, the Giants get the first shot in Overtime, as you said, Erik. 17-17 at the end of Regulation. Lord only knows who will win and when...

by travelfrosch Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Wow. SF muffs a punt deep in field goal range. This gives the Giants a chance for a win... I think...

by travelfrosch Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Well whatever... It gives the Pats a chance at redemption. GO PATS!!!!!! 8)

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Wow is right!

Hell of a first season for Jim Harbaugh though, and the improvement of the 49rs was all due to his taking over. It is basically the same team that was miserable last year. Good job 49rs.

Now it is Pats and the Giants. All East Coast! Bah humbug!!

I am not happy!....d:o(

• cottonwood's Profile Photo

by cottonwood Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM

yea, not happy either. But at least the 49ers put them into overtime and made them earn their trip to the Superbowl.

• Jokerit_pl's Profile Photo

by Jokerit_pl Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Going into Sunday's games, I rooted for two teams: Baltimore and New York. I'm a bit tired of seeing New England constantly winning, so it was easy to root for the Ravens. I have zero love (putting it nicely) for the Niners, being a long-time Rams fan, so any team facing them gets my vote.

In the end, I got half of what I wanted to see. The only mystery in this Super Bowl is whether or not, Tom Brady & Co. can finally figure out Eli Manning & Co. I say they won't and the Giants will be the ones parading around town with the Lombardi Trophy in a couple of weeks.

• ter1413's Profile Photo

by ter1413 Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Hope the 49'ers bought their tickets!
    I'm a Raiders fan so no dog in the hunt there.....though I live in NY.

*BTW, I second best wishes to Joe Pateron's family. He truly deserved better from Penn State University in the end.*

I don't^^!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Giants yeah ::)
    do they still play in NJ or move to NY? sorry been away a long time.

by ter1413 Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 7:38 AM

NJ^^^

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 7:51 AM

they used to play in New Jersey or was it the Jets, Meadowlands complex???
    NJ=New Jersey ::)

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 8:07 AM

The New York Giants are called New Jersey Giants by die-hard Giants fans in New Jersey, as they are from East Rutherford, New Jersey at the MetLife Stadium, which they share 50-50 with the New York Jets.

The MetLife Statium was called the New Medowland Stadium when it opened. Here is a photo of the old Giants Stadium and the New MedLife Stadium.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M...

• shohman's Profile Photo

by shohman Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I was pulling for the 49'ers to win so they could face my Patriots. I expect them to be a force next year as well.

As for Paterno, I have no pity for the man. He was without a doubt the most powerful man at Penn State. He had the power to stop this before it continued. He passed the buck instead of following through and as a result, even more children were raped. He chose football over the welfare of children and to me that is unforgivable.
    As someone whose hometown was decimated by sex abuse, I have zero tolerence for offenders or for those who look the other way. In a case of child rape, everyone, EVERYONE has a moral responsabilty to not only report it to the police, but to follow through. The fact that he is a legendary football coach doesn't relieve him of his moral duty.

by ter1413 Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 8:33 AM

As for Paterno, I have no pity for the man. He was without a doubt the most powerful man at Penn State. He had the power to stop this before it continued. He passed the buck instead of following through and as a result, even more children were raped. He chose football over the welfare of children and to me that is unforgivable.
    As someone whose hometown was decimated by sex abuse, I have zero tolerence for offenders or for those who look the other way. In a case of child rape, everyone, EVERYONE has a moral responsabilty to not only report it to the police, but to follow through. The fact that he is a legendary football coach doesn't relieve him of his moral duty.*

+1 on that!

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 8:49 AM

...as for Joe Paterno, - I believe that it was Martin Luther King that said, - the day you keep silent about an important issue that needs to brought out, - is the day you start dying. (more or less a quote).

I believe that in this case, the above is true.

• clunker's Profile Photo

by clunker Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 9:19 AM

My Giants are finally healthy and it's showing. Going back a month to the Jets game, that was the first time all season that Osi, Tuck and J.P.P. have been healthy, and they've won every game since. Their pass-rush is ferocious. It should be a fun rematch, and I have 2 wagers on it that I also had fun collecting in '07. A free meal at the Union Oyster House in Boston, and 10 pints on my next trip to Ireland.

As for Paterno, he was one of the most influental people in the state of Pennsylvania, he could have picked up the phone and called the governor if he wanted. And what did he do? Nothing. His silence led DIRECTLY to more children being abused. He certainly doesn't get any respect from me.

by hundwalder Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM

NE vs. NY in the Superbowl. I believe that I'll watch the all-India crickett championship instead.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM

thanks Eric you come thru again, yes exactly that even if i went there to see the NY Cosmos play soccer in NEw Jersey hehehehe
    now Giants and NE oh I will for the Giants:::::

Paterno who is this guy??? whatever he was, he is no longer, gone and forgotten. Only the great ones on and off the field are remember by me.

by hundwalder Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Just to think that they allowed Michael Vick to return to the sport.

by travelfrosch Online Now Jan 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Re Paterno. I strongly disagree with the sentiment voiced here. We don't know exactly what happened, and the Alice in Wonderland "Sentence First, Verdict Afterwards" he received was an irresponsible rush to judgment in my opinion. All we know is an intern told him he saw an assistant coach doing something inappropriate, and Paterno in turn reported it to the Athletic Director. Should he have followed up more rigorously? I don't know. Should he have called the police based on hearsay? I don't know. Why didn't the eyewitness call police? I don't know. But to summarily judge Joe Paterno as an accessory to child molestation without all of the facts is wrong.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines