Miscellaneous Forum

Paris92's Profile Photo

World's Sexiest Buildings!!!

by Paris92 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 10:42 AM

So, as many of you know, a few times a year we do press releases about buildings (beautiful buildings, ugly buildings, etc.). It's just about time to do a "beautiful" list, but I thought I'd try to shake it up a bit and see if we can get a list going of "Sexiest" buildings. I'm not sure whether this will work out as a release, but we can try.

I think I'll go with the U.N. building in New York. I've just always liked the lines of it and the sort of slick vibe it has. I hated it when I was growing up (probably too many class trips), but now I just love it.

OK, gang--your turn!
C

Quote & Reply
95 Replies
  • ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Re: World's Sexiest Buildings!!!

by ettiewyn Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 10:45 AM

This is probably a boring answer, but: Sydney Opera House! Together with the harbour and the bridge - I can't think of anything more sexy.

• Re: World's Sexiest Buildings!!!

by TOPSHELFPUBCRAWLER Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Well, to meet your criteria it would be easy (and cliche) to use towers for their obvious phallic character, but I would nominate the Glasgow Museum of Modern Art. I am very appreciative of fine architecture. This particular building possesses very masculine lines. I took a very chance photo of it in 2006. It is in my page below ( members.virtualtourist.com/m... ). I believe it is the finest photo I have ever taken. Just the right time of the evening. The sky was cobalt blue and the lighting on the building was just right.

• Paris92's Profile Photo

by Paris92 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 10:56 AM

>

Exactly! I'm looking for buildings that people find sexy just because they do--not because there's any particular symbolism.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 10:59 AM

In my opinion, nothing has a more modern, sleek, smooth and flashy appearance than the Disney Hall in Los Angeles, California, USA. Frank Gehry, architect of the Walt Disney Concert Hall, really went over the top with this futuristic stainless steel beauty. It is the home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic and rightly so, as the acoustics are unparalleled, offering the audience a rare purity of sound from the musical instruments. An eyestopper for sure, Disney Hall is one sexy lady.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I haven't a clue what would qualify as a "sexy" building, but I'd say, The Hotel de Crillon in Paris is a sexy building to my way of thinking.

Strong on the outside and gloriously beautiful inside.

If a nice guy I liked, took me there, I would most likely be, "In the mood."

• ant1606's Profile Photo

by ant1606 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Casa Batlló in Barcelona, Spain

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo

by Faiza-Ifrah Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM

cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/...

Critics hail 'sensuous' Mississauga tower

Christopher Hume of the Toronto Star, called it stunning and sensuous, dipping and curving "in all the right places."

Images at:

google.ca/images?hl=en&q=mis...

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 12:57 PM

the gurkin in london looks like a giant dildo, but i'm not sure it's that kinda sexy you are looking for :O)

• alza's Profile Photo

by alza Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Agree with you Antonello, Casa Batllo is sexy with its vegetal shapes and reminders.
    To me, there's lots of sexuality in wooden houses, houses in the woods, wooden furniture, fireplaces, burning wood... Near water makes it all the more powerful, lake, river, stream, fall, moss.
    So I'll choose the Grand Chalet in Rossinière, a mountain village in the Canton of Vaud in Switzerland. The Chalet was the last house of the painter Balthus. I visit Vevey often and the trip from nearby Montreux to Rossinière is breathtaking. Then you reach the village and the Grand Chalet bowls you over!

I recently saw a documentary where an architect talked about the need for architecture and environment/ecology to balance out. His examples were good and striking. At the same time, on VT Forum, a new hotel was shown in South-East Asia that was impressive but also, the opposite of what this man was saying. Steel and huge don't seem sexy to me but the trickle of a creek by a chalet, yes. The man on the doco spoke from Melbourne and his name sounded like Mick Spick.

cave dwellings seem sexy to me. Anything warm and refuge-like I guess. I'm a dinosaur! :)

by Paris92 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Interesting how diverse these choices are, isn't it?

Keep 'em comin'!

by peach93 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I'm going to say the French Market Inn on Decatur Street in New Orleans. It's hundreds of years old. There is an aura about it, almost as if the building is alive. The courtyard is full of flowers and vines and palmetto palms, lizards scurrying up the brick walls. There are fountains shaped like lion's heads gurgling water day and night. Everything is decorated in red velvet and gold and heavy mahogany furniture. And in the darkness, in the corners of the rooms and hallways, you feel like you could lose yourself and fade into another world--especially with someone you find attractive.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Sean, the first thing that hit my mind as well was that this is easy, as any "skyscraper" type of building would have a phallic symbolism. (Men!, hmm)

I will agree with Larry, in that amongst the many many failed noir or modern style buildings, the Walt Disney Concert Hall, in Los Angeles, is a symbol of success in such architectual style. I absolutely love it. Take a look:

google.com/images?hl=en&sour...

As for the image of phallic symbols being the first thing we thought of......Dubai definately has some serious "size matters" issues?

google.com/images?hl=en&gbv=...

by Paris92 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM

ha, ha! Erik, I knew you would answer this particular question!!!

• aussirose's Profile Photo

by aussirose Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Yes Antonello...that's the one! The casa batllo is certainly the most gorgeous 'sexiest' building I can think of :o)

by aussirose Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Nice pic Ron! :o) That conveys to me serenity.

by aussirose Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Speaking of Dubai Erik... that sailboat building is quite sexy I reckon.

• tropicrd's Profile Photo

by tropicrd Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Sydney Opera house for me.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Reckon so! I assume you mean this one.....it does have some flair.

princejabakumar.files.wordpr...

• hundwalder's Profile Photo

by hundwalder Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I guess the "house of rising sun" in the French Quarter of New Orleans. That is one "sexy" building.

by hundwalder Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:44 PM

From what I am told, the building in my pp has a "sexy" reputation going back more than 300 years.

• ant1606's Profile Photo

by ant1606 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Thanks Lou and Ann for sharing my view :)
    Antoni Gaudí did splendid works. Combining the sensuality of Art Nouveau curved lines and the puzzling patterns and colors of broader Modernism, he created intriguing harmony that I can contemplate for hours.

by aussirose Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Yep, that's the one Erik. What a gorgeous pic mate!!

by Paris92 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I'm trying to stay out of this but I'm a big Gaudi fan, too! (I don't know how to make the slash over the "i" here!)

by hundwalder Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Is Casa Batllo (sp) the signature early 20th. century Gaudi masterpiece?

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 4:52 PM

For me that must be a Jugendstil, Art Deco or modernist building.
    Let's do 3 Dutch entries:

Sexiest door I saw in a long time is Rams Woerthe house in Steenwijk, province Overijssel, The Netherlands. It's a Unesco heritage site.

Another favourite of mine would be Hubertus Hunting Lodge in Park Hoge Veluwe, The Netherlands, built by Berlage. Perfect Art Deco architecture, styling, interior and furniture.

And finally, a 1930s villa for a coffee merchandiser in Rotterdam. It's the Sonneveld house which is still furnished like it was then (Gispen). But it has a completely modern feel to it. In fact, you could move in immediately and feel at home and comfortable. The lines and light are simple divine.

Curious? Well, I'm not advertising. You know how to search VT ;-)

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Was up in Milwaukee this weekend and visited the Art Museum which has wings that open and shut at opening and closing time and do both at noon. Very interesting and unique building. The view from downtown going toward the museum reminded me of the tail of a large whale. The opening and closing reminded me of butterfly wings.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Just started building Milwaukee pages. But for those of you who are interested in my Milwaukee choice here is a link to the picture of the Art Museum.

"Just Up the Lake from Chicago" - Milwaukee by riorich55

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Linda, regards your words:"The Hotel de Crillon in Paris is a sexy building to my way of thinking.">, may be right, as it charges like it should have a red light on the entry way.

• monina_c's Profile Photo

by monina_c Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 11:20 PM

The colors and the shapes that make up the Blue Mosque at Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan is sexy.

by ger4444 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 11:39 PM

i like any Bauhaus building, because its right to the point.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines