Miscellaneous Forum

rosie235's Profile Photo

Halloween party ideas suitable for 12 year olds

by rosie235 Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 3:18 AM

Halloween is not a big thing in Australia however, I am planning a belated sleepover Birthday party for my son and have just realised that it falls on Halloween. I had the idea that I'd make it a haolloween themed part but I have no idea where to start.

So, where best to go for party ideas but right here on VT.

I'm sure that you guys will come up with some fantastic ideas to make this party memorable. Just remember that it is for 12 year old boys so nothing too bizzare. I certainly don't want to send them home totally traumatised...lol..

Quote & Reply
19 Replies
  • Purpleshade's Profile Photo

Re: Halloween party ideas suitable for 12 year olds

by Purpleshade Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 4:02 AM

Traditional Halloween activities include 'ducking for apples', ie Have a large container full of water with apples floating in it. You have to take a bite/remove an apple without using your hands.

• betska's Profile Photo

by betska Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 4:02 AM

We have a two dollar shop up here that has lots of bits & pieces, teeth, masks, capes, make-up, themed paper plates & cups etc. so that might be your first stop. I also have a kids cookbook that I've had for years that has all kinds of yucky food to make (like draculas blood-raspberry cordial) etc.
    Tents & torches and dads making scary noises might also work OK with 12 yo's.
    Have fun!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo

by tiabunna Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 4:02 AM

Um, Rosie, when's Halloween? Guess that 'lots of beer and wine' isn't the right answer for 12 year olds. :) Maybe Harry Potter movies?

• betska's Profile Photo

by betska Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 4:11 AM

Another fun thing that you could do, buy heaps of cheap toilet paper. Divide the kids into teams. Each team has to wrap one of their guys completely in toilet paper till they look like a "mummy" the first team to have their guy completely wrapped up wins. There will be plenty of mess to clean up after the "mummy" breaks out, but a rake will make short work of it.

Lesley's idea is good, also, tie-ing donuts to the clothes line with string, they have to eat them not using hands, maybe even blind-folded. This all takes me back. How time flies.

by Purpleshade Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 4:11 AM

Just did a quick google. This site has some games...the 'gruesome body parts' should be just right for 12 year old boys!

barinya.com/australia/entert...

by Purpleshade Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 4:14 AM

It might be easier to arrange doughnuts on the line than to find a container big enough for ducking for apples, and they'd probably like the doughnuts more.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

by Waalewiener Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 6:27 AM

Lot's of good advice already Rosie ,so Brandon is back home now .
    It should be fun ,12 year olds are still boys and they LOVE to be scared I think .
    And for you Rosie are you ready to be ''scared '' as well .
    I am sure these boys can scare you and they probably will .

Hansi

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 10:00 AM

I don't know how easy it would be to buy Halloween type items in Australia so my idea might not be useful.

I'd sugguest buying a theatrical "make-up" kit, here they are small and inexpensive--come in ghost white, blood red, black and other colors--let the boys make themselve up and have a costume contest. Each boy uses the make up to create a "look" and you can give a prize to the scariest one, the funniest one, the most imaginative one, etc. You might even have bits of costume bought from a second-hand shop for them to dress up in if it wouldn't be too much expense.

I suppose you don't have the custom of trick-or-treating in your neighborhood?

Scary movies, appropriate for twelve year olds, might be available at your local library, if they offer that service. Those goolish old black and white films like "Dracula" or "The Mummy" shouldn't give them nightmares. Even stories to read such as Washington Irving's, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," might be fun for them.

Here we can by CD's of spooky sounds that add a lot to the ambiance.

• rosie235's Profile Photo

by rosie235 Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 1:39 PM

thanks for the ideas so far.. I remember the dounut game from when i was a kid. that was a lot of fun. That can be easily arranged. I love the toilet paper mummy idea. I can just imagine how competitive these kids will get. somehow i can see myself being rolled though..lol..

I am thinking of setting the camping tent up outdoors for part of the night so they can sit out there and do that scary story telling round robin. You know the one where it is dark and the each kid makes up a bit of a story.

I can decorate the family room with glow in the dark decorations and spider webs,etc..I'm sure i have seen stuff like that at the2 junk shop..

I'd love some ghoulish food ideas too if you can post some.Pity dry ice is hard to get. that would make the drinks look really cool and scary.

• adelaidean's Profile Photo

by adelaidean Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 1:45 PM

sounds great Rosie,can a 40 something be invited as well..Ican tell scary stories!!

by rosie235 Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Hansi, i was just thinking of this idea. A pity the video king isn't here.. what do you think of this...? I get heaps of costumes, props.make up etc and get the kids to make their own scary movie. we can then edit it and copy it for each kid to take home at the end of the party...

by Waalewiener Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Hi Rosie .
    Absolutely ,taking a video of themselfs doing the ''Crazy '' things is a great idea .
    Your idea it was Rosie ,but now I see how much fun that could be .

I Video taped the latest B day Party of our neighbours boy Jack and he was 5 years old .
    His parents rented a Zoo to You and that included 2 dozen exotic animals and yes it included yes a Kangeroo the Kids were crazy about it .
    Yes I had a giant Turtle in our backyard a Kangeroo and a kinkagjoe and BIG snakes and more .

I Video taped it all and went in the house and I had a Video ready for the neighbours that same evening and all they had to do is make copies for their friends .
    So yes Video taping is a great idea Rosie .
    Have fun

Hansi

• cnango's Profile Photo

by cnango Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Hi Rosie,
    Your Halloween party sounds like it is going to be gr8, a lot of good ideas in here.Here is an easy idea for a Halloween appetizer..........
    Hard Boiled Egg Eyeballs:
    Cut a dozen boiled eggs in half crosswise. Remove yolk and mix in a bowl with a little mayo and blue food coloring. Put cut egg white halves cut side down on dish so rounded part is on top. Spread blue yolk on top of egg white to make the iris of an eye and use a sliced black olive for the pupil.

More ideas & pics here: familyfun.go.com/recipes/spe...

Good Luck,
    Nancy

by rosie235 Online Now Oct 20, 2008 at 2:45 AM

Hi nancy,
    haven't seen you for ages... Thanks for the link. it has some awesome ideas.

Deb, you are more than welcome to come and help me keep the boys in line...i have a feeling that I will be the only one traumatised after the party...lol..

Hansi, I ran the video idea past Brandon today and he loved the idea and then said" well,that is if my friends want to do it"... aaarrgghh...!!!

by rosie235 Online Now Oct 20, 2008 at 2:47 AM

Hey there George, Halloween is October 31st.. If i don't log on the next day, you know that I have met with ghoulish foul play at the hands of a group of 12 year old boys..

by rosie235 Online Now Oct 20, 2008 at 2:51 AM

Lesley, the link you gave has got some awesome games on there.I can see that I may need to take more than just a day off work to get this ready.. I don't know who is more excited me or my son.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo

by tiabunna Online Now Oct 20, 2008 at 3:34 AM

Thanks Rosie, I really hadn't a clue! Best wishes with this exercise, I'll check on 1 November to be sure that you've survived intact! :))

by rosie235 Online Now Oct 20, 2008 at 3:39 AM

If I can survive Darwin, I can survive anything. Although the boys are all from my sons school. Maybe I won't be safe after todays shennanigans..lol..
    250 year 12 kids got suspended today...lol.. So much for strict catholic education at one of melbournes most prestigious private colleges...lol..

theage.com.au/national/xavie...

by Waalewiener Online Now Oct 20, 2008 at 7:58 AM

Yes Rosie
    There are issues when Video taping people ,I run into that quite a bit .
    Sometimes people just do not want to be in Video ,some think they look silly and others can't get enough of being a clown in front of a camera .
    But the old saying says '' you can't please em all '' eh .
    So it needs to be handled carefully and it is hard sometimes .

Hansi

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines